ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Reviews Supplemental

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13955
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 3:59 pm

21 Jan 2012: "The Smiths" by The Smiths
So, doing the endless setlist yesterday, I noticed I really liked Stop Me if etc., so I decided to try out an album by them. Since starting at the last album sounds kind of retarded, I started from the beginning.
This album was pretty good, actually. I wasn't sure at first, but it's growing on me. None of it is bad, at worst it's just a bit odd.
Highlights: This Charming Man, Hand in Glove, What Difference Does it Make?, Suffer Little Children
Lowlights: The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Miserable Lie, Reel Around the Fountain
In relation to other albums:
I'm interested, so I'll probably go for the next album next month.
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 1:08 pm

22 Jan 2012: "Highly Evolved" by The Vines
SO YEAH
It basically sounds like a JET album, if The Hives guy replaced JET guy. You know.
I don't have many complaints, I just wish the songwriting was better.
Highlights: In the Jungle, Get Free, Sun Shinin'
Lowlights: Country Yard
SURE
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 pm

23 Jan 2012: "Roll On" by The Living End
This album is really odd. From the impression Carry Me Home gave me in GH2, I would have pegged The Living End as a metal band. They're actually a punk band. Cue the chorus of "old".
This album was actually better than I'd thought it'd be. Nothing on it's as balls-out as Carry Me Home, but the songs are great in their own right. This album is another support for my theory that punk rock is a genre that has gotten much, much better since its inception (much to the protest of TRU PUNX).
Highlights: Carry Me Home, Prisoner of Society, Don't Shut the Gate, Dirty Man
Lowlights: Revolution Regained, Staring at the Light
I feel obliged to do another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:05 pm

24 Jan 2012: "Sacred Heart" by Dio
This is the second Dio album I've reviewed, and I must say it's better than I expected. I went in for Hungry for Heaven and Rock 'n' Roll Children, but found a lot more.
While this album doesn't have any songs better than Rainbow in the Dark, Hungry for Heaven is a very respectable second place.
The lowlights of the album actually are really good songs (except Shoot Shoot which is pretty mediocre), they're just overshadowed to hell. The gun cocking at the end of Fallen Angels is retardedly cheesy, however. I EXPECTED BETTER OF YOU DIO
Highlights: Hungry for Heaven, Sacred Heart, Another Lie, Rock 'n' Roll Children, Like the Beat of a Heart
Lowlights: Shoot Shoot, Fallen Angels, Just Another Day
Better, on the whole, than Holy Diver, even with Rainbow in the Dark pumping it up.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 pm

25 Jan 2012: "Tyranny and Mutation" by Blue Oyster Cult
The main draw here is The Red and the Black, which also happens to be the best song. Oops. It's pretty much the debut, but better.
Highlights: The Red and the Black, Hotrails to Hell, Overdosed on Life Itself
Lowlights: Mistress of the Salmon Salt, Wings Wetted Down, Seven Screaming Diz-Busters
I'll give the nod to this one.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

26 Jan 2012: "Blood on the Tracks" by Bob Dylan
So, like, yeah. It's supposedly his best album and all that. It is super-good. Is it his best? Nah.
The main draws are Tangled Up in Blue and, er, Meet Me in the Morning. Meet Me in the Morning is incredibly annoying. Yay.
The album is mostly consistent. If you like one track, you'll like at least most of it.
Highlights: Idiot Wind, Tangled Up in Blue
Lowlights: Meet Me in the Morning
Not as good as Highway 61 Revisited, better than Blonde on Blonde.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 pm

27 Jan 2012: "Hidden Treasures" by Megadeth
SO YEAH
Apparently Blade (R.I.P.) really liked this album. I owe it to his memory to review it. And shit.
Basically, it's a collection of great covers. Seriously, I have no complaints.
Well, No More Mr. Nice Guy sounds a bit odd.
Highlights: 99 Ways to Die, Problems, Breakpoint
Lowlights: Angry Again, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Go to Hell
I want to say this is Megadeth's best album. I wish I were joking.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

28 Jan 2012: "Dark Horse" by George Harrison
This album is sort of all over the place, quality-wise. I mean, I understand why it is. The Clapton/Boyd thing, laryngitis, record company pressure, whatever (i can use wikipedia!!!).
This album came out right after Living in the Material World, which I declared his best last month. Well, it's holding up a month later.
But, hey! There are good parts! Ringo's on it! And um yeah!
Okay, it's not a bad album at all. The good outweighs the bad. But on the song Dark Horse, you can really tell something's up with his voice. He sounds really hoarse. On a song called... Dark Horse. Ouch. The worst part is, it would be a highlight otherwise.
One thing I've noticed about each of The Beatles' solo albums is that they usually get one or two amazing ones (or four if you're John Lennon), then the rest are fillery with some amazing songs thrown in because why not (or the songs that would be amazing are ruined by Yoko if you're John Lennon).
Highlights: Maya Love, Simply Shady
Lowlights: It Is He, Express, Dark Horse
Worst so far.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:07 pm

29 Jan 2012: "Stadium Arcadium" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sunday's the easiest day for me to do double albums. So yeah.
This album's highlights are actually not the singles. They will be listed under highlights, but only because they're still orgasmic. Just less orgasmic than the others. You know. Well, except Hump de Bump and Desecration Smile, which are just okay.
I expected two discs of pure filler, but only two (maybe three) tracks are what I'd call filler.
Highlights: Readymade, C'mon Girl, Charlie, Dani California, Tell Me Baby, Snow
Almost highlights: Make You Feel Better, Warlocks, Wet Sand, Hey
Lowlights: Slow Cheetah, If, We Believe
Better than fucking Californication.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm

30 Jan 2012: "London Town" by Paul McCartney and Wings
Remember when I said Dark Horse was all over the place? George ain't got shit on Paul. I mean, Jesus fuck.
London Town is a boring song, but followed by the excellent Cafe on the Left Bank. Backwards Traveler is the second best song on the album, but it's only a minute long. I blinked and nearly missed it. It's followed by the instrumental(?) Cuff Link.
A bit later, Linda gets a song, Girlfriend. I don't get it. It's weird. But at least she can sing! Unlike some people forced on us by other members of The Beatles.
With a Little Luck is a pretty good song, which overstays its welcome for three whole minutes. Famous Groupies also drags on a bit too long.
The album goes back to why we fucking bought it anyway with Deliver Your Children, which sounds like a Linda song by the title, but is actually a great song with Paul doing lead.
Name and Address is Paul trying to be Elvis. It works well here, delivering a HIGHLIGHT Also, guitar solo.
Don't Let it Bring You Down dials it back and reminds me of... Heart of all things. No clue why.
Then White Room Morse Moose and the Grey Goose ends the original album on a weird note. It's, um... something all right. Just when it starts to drag, it switches all the fuck up. It's the best song on the album. By far. And has a guitar solo! It was the perfect way to end the album, until bonus tracks happened. LUCKILY, this time they're not instrumentals, and are actually pretty great.
The worst part of this album is the filler. When this album shines, it fucking shines. The good songs are among Paul's best, and that's saying a lot. However, the bad songs are among his worst.
Highlights: Morse Moose and the Grey Goose, Backwards Traveler, Deliver Your Children, Cafe on the Left Bank, Name and Address, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Girls' School, Mull of Kintyre
Lowlights: Girlfriend, Children Children, Cuff Link, London Town, With a Little Luck
It's the worst Wings album. I mean, it's not bad, but it's not amazing either. It's definitely worth checking out the highlights, though. If it were half the length, it would be their best album easily.

PROPOSED ALTERNATE TRACKLISTING:
01: Girls' School
02: Cafe on the Left Bank
03: Backwards Traveler
04: London Town
05: Mull of Kintyre
06: With a Little Luck (length halved)
07: I've Had Enough
08: Deliver Your Children
09: Name and Address
10: Don't Let it Bring You Down
11: Morse Moose and the Grey Goose
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

31 Jan 2012: "Ringo" by Ringo Starr
This is his 1973 self-titled, not this year's Ringo 2012. I had downloaded Ringo 2012 to do, started playing it this morning, and... every track was Never Gonna Give You Up. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
Anyway, this album came out the same year as George's Living in the Material World, Paul's Band on the Run, and John's Mind Games, all of which I loved. All three guest on this album. Also note that Ringo guests on a lot of George albums.
Basically, if you liked Yellow Submarine, A Little Help from My Friends and Octopus' Garden, you should like this album. Ringo sounds just like he did in the '60s, and the songwriting is pretty good. All the songs fit Ringo well. The last song before bonus tracks happened was a great closer, with Ringo, like, ending a live show. It's cheesy, sure, but it's Ringo, through and through.
Highlights: I'm the Greatest, Devil Woman, Early 1970
Lowlights: Step Lightly, Down and Out, It Don't Come Easy
On-par with Y Not. If I had to give it to one, I'd say Y Not.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 pm

01 Feb 2012: The American version of "Revolver" by The Beatles
Basically, it's regular Revolver without I'm Only Sleeping (the best song), And Your Bird Can Sing (the fourth best song) and Doctor Robert (filler).
These three songs were on Yesterday and Today, so they decided "fuck it" and threw them out.
Highlights: For No One, Got to Get You Into My Life, Yellow Submarine
Lowlights: Tomorrow Never Knows, Love You To, Good Day Sunshine, Taxman
The worst. The only reason I tolerate Revolver is for the five best (non-horrible) songs, and two are gone here.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm

02 Feb 2012: "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" by The Flaming Lips
This album is a quality rollercoaster. It starts off really great, then gets really fillery, then gets okay, unleashes one last great song, then devolves into filler. Yellow might like this album.
Highlights: One More Robot, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part One, Fight Test, Do You Realise?
Lowlights: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part Two, Approaching asjkljfalj;hhsadflh, In the Morning of the Magicians
Ugh. I'm really not sure.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:10 pm

03 Feb 2012: "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden
I've been looking forward to this album all month. The obvious draws are Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and maybe the title track.
Most of the album ranges from "super-good" to "orgasmic". However, there is one filler track: Losfer Words. It's an instrumental, and not a particularly interesting one, either. The worst otherwise is Flash of the Blade, which is a good song, but is behind the rest.
This is the "shortest" Iron Maiden album, track-wise, but it has their longest song, so. At nearly fourteen minutes, Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the obvious highlight. Each section of it is different, and it is pretty much the epitome of Dickinson-era Iron Maiden.
Riff-wise, this album has two main highlights: Aces High and Back in the Village.
This is one of those things. If you don't like Iron Maiden, this won't persuade you. If you do, however, you should love it. You know.
Highlights: Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight
Lowlights: Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade
Better than Piece of Mind and The Number of the Beast. Not as good as Iron Maiden or Killers.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:54 pm

04 Feb 2012: "1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" by Green Day
This album is basically everything before Sweet Children and Kerplunk thrown together. Tracks 1-10 are the 39/Smooth album, 11-14 are the Slappy EP, 15-19 are the 1,000 Hours EP, 19 is from some movie, and the other four are just there for fun (and two of the songs are from Kerplunk [one's STUDIO BANTER]).
As far as the meat (39/Smooth) goes, it's super-good. I'd recommend it even without the bonuses they threw in.
The song Green Day starts with some bong-related hijinks. It's pretty edgy. An 8.5/10 on the edginess scale.
The Judge's Daughter has the best Green Day guitar solo ever. I know that doesn't sound impressive, but the solo is really great. Short, but great.
Next is the Slappy EP. Unfortunately, Dirnt does not play slap bass. I spent my entire comedy budget on that joke. Slappy is about the same quality as 39/Smooth.
Paper Lanterns follows The Judge's Daughter, and does not disappoint. It even has a small guitar solo. Like, super-small.
Why do You Want Him? also has a small guitar solo. This album/EP hybrid thing has Green Day's best guitarwork.
The EP ends with Knowledge, which is a cover. But a super-good cover. Again, with a very short solo.
Next is the 1,000 Hours EP, which is about nine minutes long. It feels like it belongs after Slappy.
Burnt Dry Ice has another nice guitar solo, and has HARMONIES. I know, that's not news for Green Day, but still.
Only of You sounds like it would be most at home in Guitar Hero II. It just sounds like a natural fit.
After The One I Want, the rest of the songs aren't part of anything outside of this thing.
I Want to be Alone's intro reminds me of... The Number of the Beast of all things. And it has a guitar solo! This thing has the most guitar solos of any Green Day thing.
The rest of the songs are acoustic live tracks. They do not suck. Certainly not highlights, but far from lowlights. The studio banter afterward is certainly interesting, but you'll only want to listen to it once.
I do think that the non-special edition (which ends on I Want to be Alone), is more of an album and flows much better, but the acoustic tracks are nice. Just view it as a separate EP or something.
Highlights: The Judge's Daughter, Paper Lanterns, I Want to be Alone, Only of You, Going to Pasalacqua, Knowledge, Dry Ice, Road to Acceptance, I Was There
Lowlights: Green Day, Rest
Tied with Warning for their best album. Not even joking.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:27 am

05 Feb 2012: "Back to the Egg" by Paul McCartney and Wings
This was the last Wings album. As in, last. Shame I still have two more to review after this.
The album starts with Reception, a very short instrumental which reminds me of... Frankenstein of all things. It's followed by Getting Closer, which is basically Wings being Wings. It's not the most unique and innovative Wings song, but it's one of the best Wings songs. It's everything I love about Macca, rolled into three-and-a-half minutes.
We're Open Tonight dials things back. It's a short acoustic song. Not much is going on, but its minute-and-a-half length helps it immensely. Spin it On sounds like you stumbled into another album COMPLETELY until Paul starts singing. It's a guitar-driven rock song, which, honestly, is the last thing I expected from this album.
Again and Again and Again is the Wings equivalent of a George song. It's certainly different from the majority of the album, but in a good way. I think Denny is singing, but I'm not sure. Wikipedia leads me to believe I'm right.
Old Siam Sir is another rock song. Fuck, this album keeps getting better all the time.
Arrow Through Me ends side A with the best Wings song. No, it's not FUCKING ROCK like Old Siam Sir or Spin it On, but it's fucking Arrow Through Me. It doesn't fucking need to be anything but Arrow Through Me. Sorry, Morse Moose and the Grey Goose, but you never had a fucking chance at best Wings song when fucking Arrow Through Me entered the arena.
Side B opens with Rockestra Theme, which is Macca trying to ROCK THE FUCKING HOUSE DOWN. He succeeds. HUGE guitar licks, piano as a rock instrument, drums bashing away, fucking GANG VOCALS, and, to top it all off, A BIG ROCK ENDING. Fucking hell. Way to grab my attention, Wings.
To You goes back to the Getting Closer school of being Wings (albiet with more GUITARS) in the smoldering rubble of the house the just ROCKED THE FUCK DOWN, which sounds really odd after they just ROCKED THE FUCKING HOUSE DOWN. But it's a really good song anyway.
After this, the two longest songs happen. Neither is over five minutes. The first, After the Ball/Million Miles is a... piano ballad. But it picks up into... well... a guitar thing. A good guitar thing. Then harmonicas! Jesus fuck, this album's great.
Next is Winter Rose/Love Awake, another piano ballad. This one has a sad orchestra behind it, and really sad-sounding backing vocals. Then it goes to acoustic guitar/drums, with the same backing vocals. It happens so naturally, you don't even notice. You know how I said London Town was a rollercoaster? This album is a fucking theme park. This song would be the tea cups.
Broadcast is basically the piano version of Reception. It makes sense in context (the context being that Macca is fucking crazy), but out... I'm not sure.
Next is another rock song! So Glad to See You Here brings back the fucking ROCK in spectacular fashion, AND recalls We're Open Tonight. I'm dreaming, right? This album can't be this great, can it?
The album ends on Baby's Request. It's probably the last thing I'd expected the album to end on, which makes it the best closer for this album. The album fucking warped every fucking expectation I ever had, and the last track follows suit. It's not rock. It's not a ballad. It's not... Broadcast-y. It's completely not Paul McCartney. It's everything Back to the Egg is. Fucking insane.
UNFORTUNATELY, there are bonus tracks. Ugh. They can never let albums end.
Daytime/Nighttime Suffering follows the Back to the Egg notion of being the opposite of what I expect, and would fit in anywhere. As far as trying to add onto what was already a perfect album, Daytime/Nighttime Suffering is the best.
Then Wonderful Christmastime happens. It also fits the album's "inconsistency to make consistency" thing. It's so perfect.
The final bonus track is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reggae. As a closer, it's kind of horrid. Which makes it the perfect closer. This album was all over the fucking place, and now it's fucking HERE. It pretty much sums up the album.
Basically, imagine Macca did The White Album by himself. It has fucking everything.
Highlights: Arrow Through Me, Rockestra Theme, Spin it On, Old Siam Sir, Baby's Request, Daytime/Nighttime Suffering, Getting Closer, So Glad to See You Here, After the Ball/Million Miles, Winter Rose/Love Awake
Lowlights: Broadcast
This is the best Wings album. I don't even care. It's so over the top and fucking insane that I just can't believe it fucking happened. This might be one of my favourite albums ever. i'll be tired of it within the week
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm

06 Feb 2012: "Fore!" by Huey Lewis and the News
You like Huey Lewis and the News?
Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
In '87, Huey released this: Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.
Highlights: Hip to be Square, The Power of Love, I Know What I Like, Whole Lotta Lovin', Naturally
Lowlights: Stuck with You, Forest for the Trees
check 'em
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES
Peewee

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:20 pm

>10:55

well played, sir
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 pm

07 Feb 2012: "No Code" by Pearl Jam
This is one of the most consistent albums I've ever listened to... is what I'd say if I'm Open didn't happen. Pearl Jam's albums are consistent most of the time (Ten [for the most part], Vs., Vitalogy, Yield, Backspacer), and completely retarded consistency-wise other times (Riot Act, Pearl Jam). When Pearl Jam albums are consistent, they're definitely worth listening to. Though, the self-titled did have some great moments. Riot Act was kind of shit, though.
Of course, this album does have highlights. They're not life-changing or anything, but they are really good songs. And they're in a big chunk in the middle.
Mankind is sung by Stone Gossard, and sounds pretty good. He's like the Joe Perry to Eddie Vedder's Steven Tyler.
I'm Open is just self-indulgent shit. It should have been on Riot Act. Please listen to me, Eddie: you are not Jim Morrison. Only Jim Morrison can be Jim Morrison and talk over barely any music and have it be the highlight of the album. When anyone else does it, it's just awful.
This album is great if you like Pearl Jam, but won't win anyone new over.
Highlights: Habit, Lukin, Red Mosquito
Lowlights: I'm Open
Not as good as Ten, Yield, Vitalogy or Vs., on-par with Backspacer, better than the self-titled and Riot Act.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 pm

08 Feb 2012: "Surrealistic Pillow" by Jefferson Airplane
IT'S YELLOW'S BIRTHDAY
I expected to hate this. I did not. I don't really have much to say.
Highlights: Three-Fifths of a Mile in Ten Seconds, Somebody to Love, How do You Feel
Lowlights: White Rabbit, Embryonic Journey
nowhere to go
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

09 Feb 2012: "Aftermath" by The Rolling Stones
This is the United States/Canada version. It got a remaster in 2002, so it's not like I'm reviewing American Revolver or something. This is when I wink at the audience.
I chose this because I am looking for an album that I can confidently call the album of the year, 1966. Hopefully we've got something here.
The album starts with the classic Paint it Black. There may or may not be a comma in there. You know Paint it Black.
Next is Stupid Girl, which might work better as a song if Mick Jagger were better at, you know, singing. The meat of the song is "look at that stupid [slight pause] gir-irl", which is sung. Like, actually sung. But Jagger does better on the next singy song, Lady Jane, which isn't half bad.
Next is Under My Thumb, which I'm not ashamed to admit that I only know because of American Idol season nine. It's a great song regardless, and certainly a highlight. It's not balls-out rock or anything, but it works with Jagger's voice.
Don'tcha Bother Me is another song that works, which is, you know, good. It has a great harmonica solo and a... riff? It's cool whatever it is.
Next is Think, which sounds kind of like the band was unsure of what they were doing at parts. It's still a great song, but the "THINK THINK THINK" bit hurts it a little. Also, it's, like, half a minute too long. AND IT FADES OUT WILL THE AGONY NEVER END
The next song, Flight 505, starts with PIANO. Then the piano is buried beneath vocals, guitars and drums. Yay. It reminds me of The Beatles' The One After 909, which was written three years earlier (and the final version was recorded three years later). Either way, it's a really good song, even if you can't keep track of the piano.
Next is a Radiohead cover, High and Dry. It starts with harmonica, drums and... acoustic guitar. Jagger sounds like he's struggling to sing a country song. Which he is. It's like country music imagined by someone who hates country music. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, but it's these times when you realise that maybe Mick Jagger isn't the best singuy ever.
After that is It's Not Easy, which starts with... organ? I think? It quickly gets lost like the piano in Flight 505. Like Flight 505, it's a highlight.
Second-to-last is I am Waiting. It's basically Jagger trying to be overly British. Like, as British as possible. Then it picks up, and becomes almost a highlight. Almost.
The finale is the eleven-minute Going Home, which starts out... almost like a country song. Oh boy. Apparently, after the two-and-a-half-minute mark, it's just a JAM. I do not know what to think of this song. From three minutes in on, it feels like it's going somewhere. Like, a huge guitar solo or a "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH" or something. Then at about 6:30 it starts sounding like "OH MY GOD IT'S HAPPENING". Then it doesn't. Then at 7:30 it starts to pick up again! And then it gets dropped again. Then at 8:30, it picks up again! And it gets dropped again. Then at 9:30 it really DOES pick up. Then it gets dropped again. Then at 10:10, it picks up again! For real! Then it gets dropped again. Then at 10:55, it picks up again. Then they end the song. I know it sounds like I hate it, but I don't. I really like it for some reason.
Highlights: Paint it Black, Under My Thumb, Going Home, Flight 505, Don'tcha Bother Me, It's Not Easy
Lowlights: Stupid Girl
Better than Sticky Fingers, overall.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:50 pm

10 Feb 2012: "London Calling" by The Clash
This is one of those classic albums I figured I needed to review. So here we are.
This album made me realise I grade on a curve, by the way. Like, a retarded curve.
Side A is really good. Rudie Can't Fail reminds me of I Fought the Law. The title track is the highlight of the side.
Side B is okay. There's nothing special on it, but it's certainly not bad. Well, half of it's in lowlights.
Side C is decent. They apparently ran out of steam on side A. They gain it back for the last track of side C.
Side D is a return to form for the album. This album would have been so much better if they just axed sides B and C (minus The Card Cheat).
Highlights: Train in Vain, I'm Not Down, London Calling, The Card Cheat, Four Horsemen
Lowlights: The Guns of Brixton, Wrong 'em Boyo, Death or Glory
I may do another someday. 2013, maybe.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 1:11 pm

11 Feb 2012: "Restless Heart" by Whitesnake
This was supposed to be a David Coverdale solo album, but record labels etc. It sounds a bit different than a Whitesnake album, but Whitesnake went through a lot of style changes, so it fits.
The original album is ten tracks long, and this version has four additional bonus tracks. Every song sounds similar, without being same-y. It sounds like a coherent effort, which really helps.
The overall sound is like a cross between Trouble and Forevermore. Bluesy hard rock/metal. It's treading the line. Also, there are ballads. Good ballads, though, nothing like Is This Love.
Highlights: Take Me Back Again, Don't Fade Away, Woman Trouble Blues, All in the Name of Love, Crying, You're so Fine
Lowlights: Anything You Want, Restless Heart, Instrumental
I'm going to regret this later, I know it: Best Whitesnake album.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 pm

12 Feb 2012: "Coda" by Led Zeppelin
I was going to review this last month, but shit happened.
This is Led Zeppelin's last album. You know. It's basically a bunch of shit they didn't release. Some of it for good reason.
The first song, We're Gonna Groove, is horrid filler. Plant's voice is just awful on it.
But then it gets better! Poor Tom, Walter's Walk, Ozone Baby and Darlene are pretty much Led Zeppelin being Led Zeppelin. Walter's Walk has a pretty great riff. If you're into that. Darlene has a really cool piano solo, as well as a guitar solo. Coda's version of I Can't Quit You, Baby is better than Led Zeppelin I's.
Bonzo's Montreux is an instrumental driven by Bonham's drumming and some... other thing. Yellow would like it, I'm sure. I do not.
Before bonus tracks, the album ends on Wearing and Tearing. The riff is great, and the song is the best closer they could have gotten.
That is, until the first bonus track happens. Baby, Come on Home is pretty much the perfect closer. But it isn't.
Travelling Riverside Blues is Led Zeppelin at their most average. It's a good song, but it's not amazing or anything. But it does have a reprise of The Lemon Song. So it's automatically orgasmic.
White Summer/Black Mountainside is the longest song on the album, at eight minutes. The intro kind of reminds me of Over the Hills and Far Away. The way it speeds up after the minute mark reminds me of Green Grass and High Tides, only it gets up to speed faster. ... oh it's an instrumental. WELL TO LOWLIGHTS YOU GO
Hey, Hey, What Can I Do is nice, but kind of a bad closer.
Highlights: Travelling Riverside Blues, Baby Come on Home, Wearing and Tearing, Walter's Walk, I Can't Quit You Baby, Poor Tom, Ozone Baby, Darlene, Hey Hey What Can I Do
Lowlights: We're Gonna Groove, Bonzo's Montreux, White Summer/Black Mountainside
Better than Led Zeppelin I, III and Presence.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:54 pm

13 Feb 2012: "Fresh Cream" by Cream
The next stop on my tour of 1966. I am reviewing the Swedish version... plus I Feel Free. Oh yeah.
This album really surprised me. The next two Cream albums have a bit of filler, but this one's really great.
N.S.U. to Spoonful are all Cream as you'd imagine them. Blues and rock thrown into a blender. Wrapping Paper's a more quiet song, but it's really good, too.
Cat's Squirrel is... different. It's a short instrumental with some "YEAH"s thrown in. Then Four Until Late returns to standard Cream, and that continues through I'm so Glad. Toad is just a fucking drum solo. Sigh.
Of course, then I Feel Free happens and negates Toad, and then some. Fucking love I Feel Free.
Highlights: I Feel Free, N.S.U., Sleepy Time Time, Rollin' and Tumblin'
Lowlights: Cat's Squirrel
Best Cream album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews Supplemental
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next