ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Reviews Supplemental

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13955
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 1:08 pm

30 Dec 2011: "1984" by Van Halen
Classic, only heard a few, etc.
Apart from a few songs, it's nothing special.
Jump would be a lot better without the POPPY SYNTH and if it were slower.
Highlights: Hot for Teacher, Top Jimmy, House of Pain
Lowlights: 1984, Jump, I'll Wait
In relation to other albums:
Not as good as I or 5150, on-par with Fair Warning and better than II.
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Father Adventure
GREEN, RED, YELLOW, BLUE, WHAT WILL YOU DO?!
Father Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 pm

I kind of like I'll Wait Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pain.org
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 pm

31 Dec 2011: "Death to False Metal" by Weezer
I wanted to end the year on an anti-climactic note.
It's a pretty good album, kind of like a second Maladroit.
Highlights: Blowin' My Stack, Trampoline
Lowlights: Autopilot, Turning Up the Radio
Not as good as Pinkerton, on-par with Maladroit and The Green Album, better than The Blue Album, The Red Album and Make Believe.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 1:28 pm

01 Jan 2012: "Beatlemania! With The Beatles" by The Beatles
This was the first of their albums available in North America, exclusively in Canada. Fuck yeah. Content-wise... it's With The Beatles, exactly. But Canada!
Highlights: Money, 'til There Was You, It Won't be Long
Lowlights: Little Child
Not as good as The White Album, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Let it Be, Rubber Soul, Help!, Yellow Submarine or A Hard Day's Night; better than Magical Mystery Tour, Please Please Me and Revolver.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:51 pm

02 Jan 2012: "Fragile" by Yes
If this album were any more fillery, it would legally be considered a Red Hot Chili Peppers album.
Apart from Roundabout, the album has... two tracks above "just okay": Five Percent for Nothing (which is thirty seconds) and Long Distance Runaround. The rest range from ABOMINABLE filler to okay. There are two songs over ten minutes, both of which have some great parts, but just drag on and on.
Highlights: Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, Five Percent for Nothing
Lowlights: Heart of the Sunrise, We Have Heaven, The Fish, Mood for a Day
Well, considering I've only ever heard one Yes song not on this album, it seems doubtful that I'd review another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm

03 Jan 2012: "Kerplunk" by Green Day
I decided to go for the polar opposite of yesterday's album. Well, maybe not polar opposite, but you get what I mean.
The version I reviewed is the more common version; including both the Kerplunk album and the Sweet Children EP. However, the four songs off the Sweet Children EP are the worst by far. Most of Kerplunk settles into "wow this is pretty good", while most of Sweet Children settles into "this is kind of passable". The highlight of the Sweet Children section is their cover of My Generation, even if the end sounds like Strutter.
The song Sweet Children sounds like an amateur punk band trying to rip off Welcome to Paradise.
As far as the rest goes, Dominated Loveslave is the obvious highlight.
Dookie's version of Welcome to Paradise is better than Kerplunk's, by the way.
Highlights: Dominated Loveslave, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, 2,000 Lightyears Away, Words I Might Have Ate
Lowlights: Sweet Children, Best Thing in Town, Strangeland
Well, I'd say it's on-par with Insomniac, and worse than the others I've listened to (which is all but 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours).
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 2:05 pm

04 Jan 2012: "Hot Space" by Queen
I did this album because A: I only had four Queen albums left, B: it's regarded as "shit" by literally everyone. To be honest, I expected to hate it, but I had to give it a fair chance.
This album is vastly underrated. No, it's not Queen's best album, but it's far from their worst. If you took out Freddie and May's solos, it would be unrecognisable as a Queen album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
The obvious draw here (and the only song I had heard beforehand) is Under Pressure, but the album has a lot more going for it.
Highlights: Action This Day, Life is Real, Staying Power, Under Pressure
Lowlights: Body Language, The Words of Love
Not as good as The Miracle, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, Jazz or The Game, on par with A Kind of Magic, but better than News of the World, A Day at the Races, The Works and Innuendo.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 1:57 pm

05 Jan 2012: "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart
I chose this album because I love Magic Man, and Crazy on You is pretty great. Shame those are by far the best songs on the album.
Highlights: Magic Man, Crazy on You, Dreamboat Annie Reprise
Lowlights: Dreamboat Annie
SURE I MIGHT GUYS
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 pm

06 Jan 2012: "Piece of Mind" by Iron Maiden
I decided to do all(ish) of their albums in order(ish), and this was next.
The obvious draws are The Trooper, Flight of Icarus (GAG) and Die with Your Boots On, which were the only ones I'd heard going in.
The album opens with two of its best songs, Where Eagles Dare and Revelations, then flies on its way like an eagle to fillerland with the absolute worst song on the album, Flight of Icarus. Then the best song on the album happens! Die with Your Boots On is one of those songs I loved but always forgot existed.
The Trooper is next, which is overplayed but still great. The sixth track, Still Life, is about on-par with Revelations and Where Eagles Dare. Then it declines a bit with Quest for Fire, which is... okay. It's nothing special, but it's far from bad (but far enough from the quality of the rest to count as a lowlight).
After that is Sun and Steel, which is better than Quest for Fire and Flight of Icarus, and about on-par with The Trooper (even though it was heavily influenced by Sting [doesn't fade out though!!!]).
The last track is To Tame a Land, which is also the longest at 7:25. The solo really reminds me of The Trooper (I think it's supposed to). The song as a whole is, you know, pretty good. Better than Flight of Icarus and Quest for Fire, but slightly worse than the rest of the album, I'd say.
To be honest, I figured I'd hate most of this album, but I actually really like it. Iron Maiden are on the fast track back to being my favourite metal band, over... um... Whitesnake?
admittedly I like Whitesnake's blues albums better but hey
Highlights: Die with Your Boots On, Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Still Life
Lowlights: Flight of Icarus, Quest for Fire
Better than The Number of the Beast, but not as good as Iron Maiden or Killers.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 pm

07 Jan 2012: "Brothers" by The Black Keys
Well, I was disappointed. Half of this album is abominable filler. From annoying guitar riffs to annoying falsetto, these songs have it all.
But let's not focus on the bad! Next Girl is super-good! Super-good enough to be in the GAME OF THE YEAR ALL YEARS
Tighten Up is great! It's, well... better than most of the album! That's something, right?
Okay, yeah. Everlasting Light and The Only One both have Dan Auerbach in falsetto through the whole song, which is, you know, bad. Howlin' for You has the most annoying guitar riff in history. The Go-Getter has a similar problem, but thankfully not as bad. Black Mud is just an instrumental. A boring, boring instrumental. Never Gonna Give You Up is not a Rick Astley cover.
In essence, this album challenges my will to live in many places, getting my hopes up with great songs, then tragically shooting them down in a hail of filler. In a battle of wills, Brothers would defeat me swiftly and soundly. as if we needed proof the grammys were a joke
Highlights: Next Girl, Tighten Up, Sinister Kid, She's Long Gone, I'm Not the One, Unknown Brother, These Days
Lowlights: Everlasting Light, Howlin' for You, The Only One, Black Mud, The Go-Getter, Never Gonna Give You Up
Their worst album, far and a-fucking-way. I'm glad I didn't save it for last.
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES
Peewee

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 5:14 pm

>two best songs in lowlights
>mfw I have no face
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 2:13 pm

-1/10
ANYWAY

08 Jan 2012: "Flying Dog" by Paul Gilbert
I honestly was excepting this to be anywhere near as good as Burning Organ or Alligator Farm. I was wrong, thankfully. Basically, it's a Paul Gilbert album from before Get Out of My Yard, so you know what to expect. GUITAR SHREDDING and FUN SONGS
The obvious draw is Down to Mexico, which, while a highlight, is not the best song. The sole instrumental is at the end, and is the longest song on the album, at eight minutes. It's a classical thing.
Highlights: Mr. Skin, Down to Mexico, Heavy Disco Trip, Be My Wife
Lowlights: Kate is a Star, Wrong Man
Better than Burning Organ, not as great as Alligator Farm.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 pm

09 Jan 2012: "Spacehog" by Spacehog
The only song I'd heard previously was In the Meantime, which was in Rock Band 3. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. Thankfully, I got more than I'd expected.
While no songs are as good as In the Meantime, there are a few that come close. Plus, it continues the tradition of the '90s by having a great song with a shitty bonus track tacked onto it. Joy.
If you liked In the Meantime, you'll enjoy this album. If you didn't, it won't win you over.
Highlights: In the Meantime, Never Coming Down Part Two, Zeroes, Spacehog
Lowlights: Only a Few, Never Coming Down Part One
I have no idea where to go.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:56 pm

10 Jan 2012: "Space Oddity" by David Bowie
The obvious draw here is the title track, which is the best song on the album. After it, the album takes a nosedive into "okay", then pulls back up for a while before crashing and burning at the last track.
Anyway, if you like Space Oddity, you'll probably like the album.
Highlights: Space Oddity, Cygnet Committee, Janine, An Occasional Dream
Lowlights: Memories of a Free Festival, Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed, Letter to Hermione
Ziggy Stardust was better, but Space Oddity is better than Aladdin Sane.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock
Dr. Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 1091

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:31 pm

I had only heard bad reviews of space oddity the album before, good thing I never tried it Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 991626
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

11 Jan 2012: "5" by Lenny Kravitz
I love Fly Away, so here we are.
While nothing is as great as Fly Away, there are a few songs that are almost as good. And there's even some filler! Life is great.
Highlights: Fly Away, It's Your Life, American Woman, I Belong to You
Lowlights: Straight Cold Player, Little Girl's Eyes
In relation to other album:
I'd like to do Are You Gonna Go My Way at least before writing Lenny off.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:24 pm

12 Jan 2012: "Them Crooked Vultures" by Them Crooked Vultures
I've been meaning to do this for a while. I mean, it's some abomination composed off Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones; what's not to love?
The album starts off super-strong and keeps going like this until Interlude with Ludes, which I can't decide if I hate or not. The next song, The First Breath You Take After You Give Up, is overly long rubbish. It gets better afterward and saves itself for the end.
Highlights: Dead End Friends, Reptiles, New Fang, No One Loves Me and Neither do I
Lowlights: The First Breath You Take After You Give Up, Interlude with Ludes
This would be the best Queens of the Stone Age album, as well as the second-worst Foo Fighters album (after debut). For Led Zeppelin it would be somewhere in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm

13 Jan 2012: "Humbug" by Arctic Monkeys
This is the last Arctic Monkeys album I have to review, and it was super-great. It's probably the least energetic Arctic Monkeys album, but it's amazing for it. Songwriting (if not lyrics-writing) takes precedence over BALLS OUT ROCK MUSIC, for the better.
Every songs remains around "really good" to "wow this song wow".
Highlights: Dangerous Animals, Secret Door, Cornerstone, I Haven't Got My Strange
Lowlights: The Jeweller's Hands, I guess?
Not as good as Suck it and See, but better than Favourite Worst Nightmare and Whatever I Say I Am.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:29 pm

14 Jan 2012: "Come an' Get It" by Whitesnake
This was the last of their blues albums I had, so LET'S DO IT
The album starts off pretty okay but doesn't pick up until halfway through. You know.
Highlights: Hit an' Run, 'til the Day I Die, Would I Lie to You, Girl
Lowlights: Child of Babylon
Not as good as Lovehunter, Snakebite, Ready an' Willin', 1987, Trouble or Forevermore; about on-par with Saints an' Sinners, Slide it In and Good to be Bad.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:28 pm

15 Jan 2012: "Empire" by Kasabian
This album is pretty good. It's nothing amazing, but it's good. Most of the album is about even in quality, aside from Program 88 and The Doberman, which are borderline horrible.
The main draw is Shoot the Runner, so.
There's also a pretty long song on it. I have no idea what to make of it.
Highlights: Aponea, Empire, Shoot the Runner, Seek and Destroy
Lowlights: Program 88, The Doberman, British Legion, Sun/Rise/Light/Flies
I may do another. But I refuse to change the name of this section.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 1:11 pm

16 Jan 2012: "Calling the World" by Rooney
Rooney are like if Weezer and Locksley had an illegitimate child. The guy sounds a lot like Rivers Cuomo, but the songwriting reminds me more of Locksley, so.
Calling the World is a pretty good album. You know.
Highlights: Paralysed, Love Me or Leave Me, Don't Come Around Again, I Should Have Been After You
Lowlights: Help Me Find My Way
SURE I MIGHT SURE
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm

17 Jan 2012: "Take Them on on Your Own" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
MORE NEW BANDS FOR ME OH BOY
This album was super-good. I know BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB makes you think of Judas Priest rip-offs, but they couldn't be further from it without not being Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. You know. Or you don't. Either's fine.
Highlights: And I'm Aching, Heart + Soul, Generation, We're All in Love, Six-Barrel Shotgun
Lowlights: U.S. Government, Suddenly, High
YES DEFINITELY GUYS
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 pm

18 Jan 2012: "3:47 EST" by Klaatu
SHITTY
SHITTY
SHITTY
SHITTY
FUCKING
SHIT
WHY DID I DO THIS
Highlights: Well, I didn't kill myself.
Lowlights: I really wanted to.
Just fucking kill me now.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 pm

19 Jan 2012: "Death by Sexy" by Eagles of Death Metal
NO THEY'RE NOT DEATH METAL
NO THEY SOUND NOTHING LIKE EAGLES
OR BIRDS THAT MIGHT BE HAWKS
Basically it's Josh Homme Hommin' it up on drums and backing vocals, while some GUY does everything else. It's pretty much a sillier Queens of the Stone Age album.
Highlights: Bag o' Miracles, I Want You So Hard, Eagles Goth, Shasta Beast, Solid Gold, Keep Your Head Up
Lowlights: I Got a Feeling, Cherry Cola
This would actually be one of the better Queens of the Stone Age albums.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 1:31 pm

20 Jan 2012: "Leave No Ashes" by Burning Brides
This album was pretty good. Nothing holds up to Heart Full of Black, though (not for lack of trying!!!).
Highlights: Heart Full of Black, Alternative Teenage Suicide, Century Song, Leave No Ashes
Lowlights: Vampire Waltz, Last Man Standing
I'll probably do another at some point maybe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews Supplemental
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next