ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Reviews Supplemental

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13956
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 pm

22 Mar 2012: "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends" by Coldplay
This month, I've been in sort of a review rut, so I just picked something off my list. Let's hope it isn't shitty!
The album starts with something unheard of: an interesting instrumental. It's pretty short, but got me pretty interested in the album.
Cemeteries of London shows off Chris Martin's voice, especially at the beginning. I'm not sure if I like his voice. It's not horrible, but it's not great either.
On 42, he sounds a lot better, though. Hmm.
Chinese Sleep Chant reminds me A LOT of Radiohead. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
Viva la Vida is the huge song on the album. I've heard it a million times and still love it.
The last three songs all have a lot more noticable guitar bits than the rest of the album. It doesn't seem forced, though; it works for the songs.
Death and All His Friends is an amazing closer. I don't know what to say. It transitions into The Escapist rather well. It just works. I don't think it would have worked anywhere else on the album, but right here, at the end, it's great. All of my props
I guess this album really opens up when you get used to Chris Martin's voice. I enjoyed it, but I can tell it'll either grow on me a lot, or grate on me quickly.
Highlights: Viva la Vida, Death and All His Friends/The Escapist, Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant, 42
Lowlights: Cemeteries of London
In relation to other albums:
Sure why not
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 pm

23 Mar 2012: "Ride the Lightning" by Metallica
I want to hate Metallica, I really do. I even went so far as to deleted all my Metallica scrobbles back in 2008. But I don't. In fact, Metallica were one of the best metal bands, pre-... and Justice for All. And even then, I've barely heard anything from then on, so we'll see. I also downloaded Kill 'em All, since I deleted it from my computers. So here's an album from /mu/'s essentials list!
Unfortunately, Fight Fire with Fire is about as generic as metal can get. It's okay, but nothing special.
THE TITLE TRACK IS SUPER-LOUD ON THE VERSION OF THE ALBUM I DOWNLOADED WHY IS IT SO LOUD I GUESS IT'S A GOOD SONG BUT IT'S SO LOUD WHY IS IT SO LOUD
For Whom the Bell Tolls isn't super-loud, thankfully. I really enjoy this song; it's one of my favourite Metallica songs.
FADE TO BLACK IS PRETTY LOUD ON THIS WHY IS IT SO LOUD IT IS A GOOD SONG BUT IT IS LOUD
TRAPPED UNDER ICE IS ALSO LOUD I THINK IT WAS IN GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR SO UM YEAH IT'S PRETTY LOUD BUT KIRK'S SOLOING IS PRETTY COOL AND IT'S A GREAT SONG SO YEAH
Escape is... okay. It's kind of just Metallica going through the motions of being Metallica.
CREEPING DEATH IS LIKE OH MY GOD WHY IT'S SO FUCKING LOUD WHO WOULD DO THIS OH MY GOD WHY IS THIS SO LOUD IT'S ONE OF THE BETTER SONGS ON THE ALBUM BUT WHY IS IT SO LOUD
THE CALL OF KTULU IS ALSO LOUD AND IT'S AN INSTRUMENTAL SO IT SUCKS AUTOMATICALLY
In the end, I liked this album. I'm sorry, Metallica; I don't hate you, I hate your fans.
Highlights: For Whom the Bell Tolls, Trapped Under Ice, Creeping Death, Fade to Black
Lowlights: The Call of Ktulu, Escape, Fight Fire with Fire
Better than Kill 'em All.
And, yes, I will review Master of Puppets.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 4:01 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Climbing!" by Mountain
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/money-giving-things-by-wow-money-wow.html
I've been meaning to do this one for a while, since I love Mississippi Queen.
The second song is the longest on the album, and is the total opposite of Mississippi Queen. We're in for a ride here.
Never in My Life is back to the Mississippi Queen style, so this album is going to go everywhere.
Silver Paper and For Yasgur's Farm are pretty much exactly how I like my CLASSIC ROCK
Then To My Friend is an okay instrumental. Sigh. The album starts its lull here, which continues with The Laird.
Sittin' on a Rainbow has a super-great riff. I'll add it to the riffs thing now.
The album ends on Boys in the Band, which is pretty pretentious.
This version has a live version of For Yasgur's Farm as a bonus track. It's fine.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this album.
Highlights: Mississippi Queen, For Yasgur's Farm, Silver Paper, Sittin' on a Rainbow, Never in My Life
Lowlights: The Laird, To My Friend, Boys in the Band
I probably won't do another, since they're such a one-hit wonder.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 pm

24 Mar 2012: "Bad Reputation" by Thin Lizzy
This was in my RYM recommendations. The only song on it I know right now is the title track, which I've never been too big on.
My biggest problem with this album is that it sounds like Thin Lizzy are just going through the motions of being Thin Lizzy. Almost nothing stands out. It's not bad at all, but it certainly didn't impress me.
Highlights: Killer Without a Cause, Opium Trail
Lowlights:
Jailbreak shouldn't be so mediocre, I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (or "Joan Jett" by Joan Jett, if you'd prefer)
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/help-guys-by-guys-who-cant.html
GET IT
The album starts with the title track, which you should remember from Rock Band 2. I really like it for some reason. It has energy.
Sadly, that energy is quickly discarded for Make Believe, which, while not a bad song, is so different from the title track that I can't really fathom the change. It does pick up and have rocky bits, but the beginning is so the opposite of the title track that it isn't even funny. Okay, maybe a little.
You Don't Know What You've Got is pretty much as generic as it gets.
You Don't Own Me would be a great song if it didn't follow Bad Reputation in any capacity. Its impact is significantly dulled, and it comes off as cheesy.
Too Bad on Your Birthday has organ, so it's automatically the best on the album.
Doing All Right with the Boys has the most annoying intro I've heard in a while. The song is also way too long and repetitive.
Do You Wanna Touch Me is incredibly cheesy. Sigh.
Let Me Go is filler at its finest.
Shout is a pretty okay cover. Not the best I've heard for the song, but it works.
Jezabel is decent. It sounds like every other song on the album. As does Don't Abuse Me.
Wooly Bully ends the album on a fillery note, summing up the album pretty well. But wait! There's more!
Call Me Lightning is so different from the rest of the album. I may only be saying this because the rest of the album was tedious, but fuck it. Highlight.
Hankpanky is filler again. Fuck.
What Can I do for You is... filler.
An alternate take of You Don't Own Me! Hoor-wait it's even cheesier than the original
An uninspired live version of Bad Reputation with... a guy! I have no idea who this guy is! INTRIGUE
A cover of Summertime Blues! Done really cheesily! This is the best thing ever!
One thing I noticed about this album is that Joan's music doesn't hold up for me across an entire album. It just kind of blends together.
I also kind of hate this album. The songs may not be horrible, but it went on for far too long. Seventeen songs too long, in fact.
Highlights: Call My Lightning, Too Bad on Your Birthday
Lowlights: Doing All Right with the Boys, Let Me Go, Wolly Bully
I probably won't get around to another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 pm

25 Mar 2012: "The Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse
On /mu/'s essentials list.
I didn't know anything on here going in. I suppose that's for the better.
This album was actually super-good, but nothing stood out for me except the ROCK song, Shit Luck, and Styrofoam Boots/It's Nice on Ice, Alright. The latter starts off far different from the rest of the album, then picks up into DRUMS. I'd recommend this song to Yellow if he were checking Modest Mouse out.
A few songs are stretched long with instrumentation, but it's all right.
I really liked the album, and Teal does too, apparently, but I don't think Yellow would like it at all. Maybe the instrumentation, but not the vocals. Modest Mouse guy reminds me of a cross between Burning Brides guy and Jeff Mangum.
Highlights: Shit Luck, Styrofoam Boots/It's Nice on Ice Alright
Lowlights: Jesus Christ Was an Only Child
There's another on the essentials list, so I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/live-until-death-by-men-of-living.html
I've heard bits and pieces of this album, but I've never listened to it in full. So, here we are.
The Power of Equality was in Tony Hawk's Underground 2, and I always thought it fit the vibe of the game (moreso than fucking Ring of Fire or That's Life [note: The Power of Equality is not better than That's Life on its own merits]). On its own, it's still a great song, so. It actually transitions into the next song, If You Have to Ask, very well. But If You Have to Ask is filler, so. The outro solo is pretty cool, though.
Breaking the Girl is kind of really boring and goes on for too long. It doesn't even have an outro solo to save it from the lowlights.
Funky Monks was always one of my favourites on the album. It's rather... well... funky. My only problem with it is that ending they tacked on, which FADES OUT FUCK MY LIFE Oh well.
After Funky Monks is Suck My Kiss, which you may remember from Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. I really love it.
I Could Have Lied is another boring song. Sigh. It does pick up into some cool guitarwork towards the end, but by then it's too late.
Mellowship Slinky in B Major has the best song title ever. The song isn't too bad, either. It knows it was written to be filler, and it excels at being just silly enough without being retarded to be a great song. The Righteous and the Wicked does much the same thing.
Give it Away was in Rock Band 2, and it's okay. Nothing special. It's more fun to sing in the game than it is to listen to. The line "drinkin' my juice young love chug-a-lug me" always makes me smile.
The title track is just filler. Shame.
Under the Bridge is THE song on the album, popularity-wise AND quality-wise. If you haven't heard it (which I expect could only apply to Yellow and even then I think he has), just, like, do it. It's even based on a true story!
Naked in the Rain is another silly-but-not-retarded good song.
Apache Rose Peacock is just okay. I'd listen to it again if it came up, but I wouldn't actively seek it out.
The Greeting Song has a really great riff. It gets a pass for that.
My Lovely Man also has a pretty cool riff. It's okay.
Sir Psycho Sexy is the longest song on the album, at eight minutes. It's about oral sex. Yeah.
They're Red Hot is, well, you have to hear it. It's an experience. It's also less than two minutes long.
In true Red Hot Chili Peppers fashion, the great songs are fucking amazing, and the filler songs are just there. Why is this album seventeen tracks long?
Highlights: Under the Bridge, Funky Monks, Suck My Kiss
Lowlights: Sir Psycho Sexy, Breaking the Girl, I Could Have Lied
Better than Californication; not as good as Stadium Arcadium.
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES
Peewee

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 pm

nice guy
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm

26 Mar 2012: "Odelay" by Beck
On /mu/'s essentials, plus I've been meaning to get into Beck since Rock Band 2. I really enjoyed E-Pro, which isn't on this album.
Generally, I like the songs where Beck sings more than the ones where he talks over the song.
I won't go through every track, but here are some things I found either awesome or horrible:
Lord Only Knows has a guitar solo thing that I liked.
Novacane is a straight-up rap. No clue. But there are weird effects! That makes it um okay I guess
Where It's At is also one, but it's way too long.
On Readymade, someone plays the frogs! I fucking love the frogs
Rock the Catskills is so fucking rappy it isn't even funny. This will be Yellow's least favourite, I'm pretty sure.
Deadweight has a really cool guitar thing at the end. It's heavily distorted though so it might not actually be guitar
Inferno features that stock slot machine that's been featured in many videogames, namely Ratchet and Clank. There was another I've played with the same noise. As for the rest of the song, I really like it for some reason. If you ask me what it is, I won't be able to tell you. I imagine Yellow would either love it or hate it. It's just a shame that it didn't end the album.
This was probably the most "whatever I feel like" album I've ever listened to. It transitions from style to style at the drop of a hat. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
Highlights: Inferno, Deadweight
Lowlights: Rock the Catskills, Novacane, Where It's At
I'm interested in doing another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Shades of Deep Purple" by Deep Purple
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/itvhy-by-guysnjfc.html
note: i itched all over on that day of purple's birthday
I have this listed as "recommended by Yellow", but I'm not sure if he did or I just said he did. I doubt he'd mind either way.
The album starts with And the Address, which has a great riff. It's an instrumental, but it's still pretty cool.
Hush is after that. I'm only super-familiar with the GH2 cover of it, but this version's super-great.
One More Rainy Day is... okay. Nothing special.
Next they prefaced a cover of I'm so Glad with an original classical-like thing. The classical thing is okay. The cover of I'm so Glad is incredibly similar to Cream's. Rod's voice and Jack's sound similar on this song. I do like Blackmore's guitar solo, though.
On Mandrake Root, Rod sounds like he wants to be Elvis. But he is not Elvis
Their cover of Help! is probably better on the level of lyrics and music matching up, but I like The Beatles' much better.
Love Help Me is probably the most upbeat song on the album. It was a good idea putting it after Help!.
Last is a cover of Hey Joe, which has some weird organ at the beginning. It starts off sounding like something you'd see before someone comes out to defeat their rival at something sufficiently Mexican. cooooooooooooooooonquest The intro doesn't fit with the "HEY JIMI WE CAN COVER HEY JOE TOO" aesthetic of the rest of the song. It really interferes with the song. I can't take it seriously.
I enjoyed this album. It's certainly not the best I've ever heard, but it was nice.
Highlights: Hush
Lowlights: Hey Joe, One More Rainy Day
I'll probably do just the Evans, Coverdale, and Turner albums.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:06 pm

27 Mar 2012: "Rising" by Rainbow
This was suggested by Purple.
It's hard for me to take this album as its own thing because of Dio. I mean, Ritchie's guitarwork doesn't sound like Viv's or Iommi's (or Dougie's), but Dio's voice is just so unmistakable. So, I find it kind of funny that it's Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, when the most defining musician for me is Dio.
One thing I like about this album is that even the eight-minute songs don't feel too long. Everything seems like it's supposed to be as long as it is; no padding.
Overall, I loved this album. This probably means I should get to the other albums Purple recommended me, doesn't it?
Highlights: Light in the Black Stargazer, Tarot Woman, Starstruck
Lowlights:
I'll probably do that other one they did.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Live in New York City" by John Lennon
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/jams-of-jam-variety-by-jam-guys.html
https://2img.net/h/oi44.tinypic.com/36emw.jpg
This album was, like, of his last live shows. It was a charity thing. Most importantly, Yoko wasn't present (or at least on the stage).
The album begins with the crowd chanting "power to the people". Welp. The song isn't as bad as the chanting would imply.
The crowd noise is turned down for the most part, so the impact of Woman is the Nigger of the World is lost a bit. John says "if you believe me you'd better scream about it", and there's no crowd noise. Oops.
Well, Well, Well is done especially well. I almost didn't expect John to do the screams at the end so early in. good job
Seeing Mother on the tracklisting made me kind of nervous. The thing that most defines that song is how John sings screams himself hoarse by the end. He actually does the screams, and it's even more effective than the original. Maybe it's because he was screaming "mama don't go; daddy come home" in front of a huge audience, but I did the single tear thing.
Oh but then he plays Come Together, the only The Beatles song on the album. It's better than the original. I'm pretty sure this is that performance always used in mashup videos. I could hear where he probably did the really gay hand gesture. IT'S THAT IMAGERY THAT MAKES THIS VERSION BETTER
I skipped Imagine.
John does a kind of sheep thing with his voice in Cold Turkey, which actually helps the song.
Hound Dog was made into a JOHN LENNON ROCK SONG, which helped it immensely.
Give Peace a Chance is mostly just the crowd singing and John egging them on. It was probably orgasmic if you were there, but it doesn't translate well.
Overall, I'd highly recommend this.
Highlights: Mother, Come Together, Hound Dog, Cold Turkey, Well Well Well
Lowlights: Imagine
Well, it was better than I was expecting. As far as live albums go, it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 pm

BONUS BONUS REVIEW: "Ritual de lo Habitual" by Jane's Addiction
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/just-load-you-fucking-google.html
I've had this album for a while (I own the CD and everything), and remember hating all of it but Stop! and Been Caught Stealing. However, I don't remember any of the other songs, like, at all. Since the Amorica thing went so well, why not?
The album starts with some chick speaking Spanish and introducing the band. Then Stop! happens. Stop! is super-good, and a great way to start the album. I say this because I know they haven't blown their entire load yet.
No One's Leaving is much faster, and driven by the bassline. The drums and guitar go crazy all over it. I have the feeling I got this album in my "don't actually listen to the albums" phase.
Ain't No Right starts off really weird. It has panning and shit, but it doesn't have anything but drums and vocals. THEN BASSLINE HAPPENS It's an odd song, but in a pretty-good-sort-of-okay way.
Obvious tries to be more epic than it could possibly be, but it's still good (if a bit pretentious).
Been Caught Stealing marks the middle of the album, and is probably one of my favourite songs.
Three Days is ten minutes long. It's probably the most surprising song on the album. It's not boring, it's not pretentious; it's not even silly. It's amazing; dare I say the best on the album? I know, when you think of Jane's Addiction, you don't think they can support a ten-minute song, letalone make it epic or the best song on the album. Well, they did. Good fucking job.
Then, just to say "fuck you" to expectations, they do an eight-minute song. It's good, even!
I don't get Of Course. I like it, but I don't get it.
Classic Girl is a pretty good way to end the album. It's nice, and has some cool drum bits.
So, it's pretty obvious that I didn't listen to this album when I got it. If I see my past self, I'll be sure to punch him in the face.
Now, I remember Yellow saying he liked Stop!, so I think he might like the album. Maybe. I'm not sure. I didn't think he'd like Odelay, after all.
Highlights: Three Days, Been Caught Stealing, Stop!
Lowlights:
I'll definitely do Nothing's Shocking someday, since everyone says it's better, and I liked Mountain Song.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:36 pm

28 Mar 2012: "Leftoverture" by Kansas
blah blah blah 1976 blah blah carry on wayward son
I have this listed as recommended by Purple.
I was wary of listening to this, since Kansas are considered progressive rock, which is a genre I generally don't like. But whatever.
The album starts with Carry on Wayward Son, which is just orgasmic. I mean, it does soft and reflective AND hard and ROCK in one song, and not have it sound awful or pretentious or whatever. The ROCK parts really do ROCK. Every time I listen to the Guitar Hero II cover, I'm appalled at how much it doesn't rock. And another thing! I love that one riff that bookends the organ solo.
The Wall is a nice slower song with, like, meaning and shit. It's good.
What's on My Mind is a ROCK song that is rather ROCK-y. Love it.
Miracles Out of Nowhere has a really cool beat. Super-enjoyable.
Opus Insert is slower again, but it's good. You know.
Questions of My Childhood starts off sounding... child-y. It's a really cool sound. The rhythm is very interesting. This entire song is like "wow".
Cheyenne Anthem is a slow song, and it's really good. Just, you know, not as good as the rest. The backing vocals are incredibly cheesy.
Before even listening to Magnum Opus, I can tell that it's going to pretentious. It has six movements, and is named Magnum Opus, for fuck's sake. PROVE ME WRONG KANSAS
Unfortunately, they proved me right.
Overall, though, this album was very good. 7/8 ain't bad.
Highlights: Carry on Wayward Son, What's on My Mind, Questions of My Childhood, Miracles Out of Nowhere
Lowlights: Magnum Opus
Hmm. I'll probably put it off forever, but I'll do another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:19 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Danzig" by Danzig
I accidentally clicked out of the window, so I lost my review. Here are the cliffsnotes:
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/fuck-google-seriously-by-stop-not.html
Basically, I did this because I like Mother.
The entire album, sans Mother and The Hunter, has a permeating feeling of emptiness, like the songs are all lacking an instrument. Some songs have cool guitar solos, others just fall flat on their face.
The Hunter has a badass riff. It's a highlight.
Evil Thing has a cool riff, too, but it still feels empty.
I didn't hate this album. I didn't like it, either.
Highlights: Mother, The Hunter
Lowlights: End of Time, She Rides
No.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

29 Mar 2012: "Baby 81" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Basically, this is that one with Weapon of Choice. It has a lot of great songs, but they're hardly worth talking about.
One lyric I really like (in the aforementioned Weapon of Choice) is "I don't wanna waste my love on a nation". Take that as you will.
American X would have been a highlight if it weren't nine minutes long. Though, it references a funny joke with its length: 9:11.
Basically, this album is great. I don't think Yellow would like it because of his whole deal.
Highlights: Killing the Light, Weapon of Choice
Lowlights: 666 Conducer, Lien on Your Dreams
On-par with Take Them on on Your Own.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Here are the Sonics!!!" by The Sonics
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/belief-by-guys-who.html
So, the deal is, I'm looking to get into GARAGE ROCK, and The Sonics are, like, it. Or something. So here we are. I'm going into this with no prior knowledge of the band. I am prepared to throw up my keyboard tray in disappointment. Oh, yeah, the album came out in 1965.
The production is nonexistant, which is good, I guess. The guy's voice is pretty cool. The drumming is cool; the guitar riff is simple, but the solo's awesome.
Oh god this drumming is great
Basically, it's new and exciting for me. I can't describe it at all. My closest approximation is 50s rock n roll, but with distortion, gravelly vocals and THOSE DRUMS
The songs sound so old-fashioned, but then there's the fucking distortion, vocals and shitty recording quality bumping it up into "oh god what the fuck". But in a good way.
On Have Love, Will Travel, the recording quality makes one instrument unrecognisable and fucking awesome. Fucking hell.
Keep A-Knockin' is so fast-paced that I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was that it was fucking awesome.
Psycho's drum fills are orgasmic. Did I mention I love the drumming?
On Money, the guy stumbles over a couple of words. It really subtly drives home the point of the album. "a second take?! pfft"
The album kind of sputters out towards the end, but whatever. I loved it. I... think.
This would actually have been a great way to close the month; I started with The Zombies' Begin Here, another album from 1965 I loved that turned my expectations on their ass.
I'll get back to you on all this when I figure out what the fuck just happened.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

30 Mar 2012: "Songs About Jane" by Maroon 5
This album was recommended by Purple, back in October. Welp.
On Harder to Breathe, I really didn't like Adam's voice. Something about it annoyed me. After that, though, it grew on me.
I guess your enjoyment of this album hinges on Adam's voice.
Despite not being the best song on the album, I liked this lyric from Secret: "Everybody has a secret; can they keep it". No clue why.
Yeah. I enjoyed it. Good job purple
Highlights: Not Coming Home, The Sun, Sunday Morning, Must Get Out, This Love
Lowlights: Secret, Shiver
I'll do another, eventually.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:31 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Shaka Rock" by JET
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/four-months-by-men.html
I figured now was the best time to do this if I wanted attention.
So, Get Born was a disappointment, but Shine On was great. I'm not sure how this will turn out.
The first track, K.I.A. makes no sense lyrically, and the backing vocals (if you'd call them that) are fucking awful.
Beat on Repeat features JET guy overemphasising a bad accent. Fuck. Just, why? Fucking why. However! It's not all bad. It's the shortest song on the album.
You know, when I first heard She's a Genius, I thought it was sub-par. After those two tracks, it sounds fucking amazing.
Black Hearts on Fire starts with one of the most annoying "just vocals over drums" bits. The rest of the song isn't too good, either.
Seventeen is just awful. Awful. More awful than you can shake a pheasant at.
Ladida tries to be an anthem for a generation or something. It's not as bad as everything else on this album, but it's obviously a swing-and-a-miss.
Goodbye Hollywood starts off being a prime example of what made JET great... then slows down. THIS ISN'T FUNNY GUYS I will say that it's a lot more lyrically relevant now that they've broken up.
On Walk, JET guy confirms he's pro-time. "Every time we talk, you waste my precious time" I fucking hate this album and its pro-time propaganda.
The line "everything's just gone to hell" starts off Times Like This. Very apt, JET. Did you make this shitty album just for that line? The song features echoes that sound really cheesy. Hell, the entire song is cheesy. AND IS THAT CHILDREN SINGING YOUR CODA YOU ARE NOT PINK FLOYD JET IT WAS SHITTY WHEN PINK FLOYD DID IT WHY DO YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER JET FUCK YOU JET
Let Me Out. The song title says it all. Oh, it tries to be another anthem. It does that whole "FUCK YEAH ANTHEM" build thing. Fuck it. The song wouldn't be bad if it didn't have the fucking ANTHEM CHORDS. "I know you like I know myself, but there's only so much we can tell eachother" Wow. What does that even fucking mean? It's not deep; it's fucking nonsense.
Start the Show starts with an annoying voice. It's wacky! Worst part: This would be a pretty good song without it. Hey, JET, if you wanted to be clever with this entire album, why doesn't Start the Show start the album? And you could make the last song called... wait for it... End the Show! GET IT DO YOU GET IT But this does raise an important question: why the fuck am I still listening to this?
She Holds a Grudge is a much slower song, which tries to be deep/meaningful. Seriously. It isn't even close. It comes off as pretentious. Yes, the very same band that brought you such hits as "Cold Hard Bitch", and "Are You Gonna be My Girl?" are being pretentious. Maybe they spent too much time hanging out with Tool? (authenticity note!!!: they did a festival with tool in australia)
Don't Break Me Down somehow reminds me of Radium Eyes, and how I'd rather be listening to good music.
Everything Will be Alright reminds me that this album could have been good, which is the biggest pain of all.
Apparently, the vinyl edition features a track called... "One Hipster One Bullit" (sic). Somehow I'm glad I was spared that particular song. I bet it's a scathing rebuttal to Pitchfork's review of Shine On.
In the end, JET's attempt at more complicated song structures was a disaster. I'm glad I didn't pay money for this; they blew their entire fucking load on She's a Genius, which wasn't very good to begin with. From there, it's a slow spiral down the toilet.
Highlights: Everything Will be Alright, She's a Genius, Ladida, Goodbye Hollywood
Lowlights: Everything else
Worst.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:33 pm

31 Mar 2012: "Queen II" by Queen
Welp. I guess it's time to bite the bullet. The album came between Queen (the worst Queen album), and Sheer Heart Attack (the best Queen album). Not sure what to expect.
First thing I notice every time I remember this album exists: the cover art is the iconic picture where the band's faces are heavily shadowed and Freddie with his arms folded across his chest.
Every song just kind of flows into the next. There are no gaps.
Procession is just filler, but it leads into Father to Son, which is a very good song. It has roaring guitars, and the backing vocals aren't horrid. This album was a huge step up for Queen, but also in the middle of the song I got 73 free scrobbles CHA-CHING BEST SONG EVER
White Queen is a very good slower song with... okay what is that is that a sitar what the fuck guys
Some Day; One Day is pretty boring.
The Loser in the End is PRETTY OKAY
Ogre Battle is amazing. I love it. It's pretty much what I like about Queen, all in one song.
The Fairy Feller's Masterstroke is weird, but in a good way.
Nevermore is a nice Freddie/piano song.
Orange was right. The March of the Black Queen is fucking amazing, and Funny How Love Is flows from it orgasmically. Freddie sounds like they gave him some helium, but it works well.
As you may recall, I wasn't too big on the Seven Seas of Rhye instrumental on Queen I. However, I fucking love this version.
I loved this album. The second half is much better than the first, but it's better for it. My expectations were rock bottom going in, but the second half blew me right the fuck away.
Highlights: Ogre Battle, The March of the Black Queen, Nevermore, Funny How Love Is
Lowlights: Procession
Not as good as Sheer Heart Attack; better than else.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:27 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Three Snakes and One Charm" by The Black Crowes
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/09/going-to-rodeo-by-theatre-managers.html
This album came out between Amorica (which I revisited a few days ago), and By Your Side (which I've always enjoyed).
You guys aren't too big on The Black Crowes, so I'll just visit the songs I feel strongly about.
Good Friday's lyrics are very good. The song just comes together very well.
Nebakanezer is super-catchy, while still being musically impressive. Amazing riff, too.
After five ROCK songs, The Black Crowes decide to do that other thing they're amazing at: slow songs. Have I mentioned how much I love these guys? Oh, but it picks up amazingly into GUITARS and fucking hell. I love these guys. I really do.
How Much for Your Wings? is different from any other of their songs I've heard. Fucking love it. The song is actually driven by acoustic guitars before the drum fills and weird shit happens. Weird shit in a good way, of course.
Let Me Share the Ride has a cool guitar riff and... saxophones?!
Evil Eye is good, but it's a lowlight. Something had to be.
Mellow Down Easy is... weird. It's not bad, but I don't get it, really.
A lot of songs on this album, I thought were good, but then the ending kicked them into fucking amazing territory. I fucking loved this album.
Highlights: Nebakanezer, How Much for Your Wings?, Girl from a Pawnshop
Lowlights: Evil Eye, Mellow Down Easy
Fucking best (or maybe just on-par with Shake Your Moneymaker).
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 am

01 Apr 2011: "The Beatles' Long Tall Sally" by The Beatles
This album was another Canadian masterpiece. It's still mostly tracks from Please Please Me and With the Beatles, but with a few singles and a song from A Hard Day's Night.
Highlights: Long Tall Sally, I Saw Her Standing There
Lowlights: This Boy
Still an abomination.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:44 pm

02 Apr 2012: "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" by Kanye West
In this review, I will misuse hip-hop terms, such as "flow", "beats", "bitches", and "rhymes". As a reminder, I am white.
This album has so many fucking guest vocalists, it's hard to tell what's happening. It's kind of annoying.
Dark Fantasy starts with a British chick talking over classical music. There are harmonies. I don't know what I'm listening to. There's autotune? Oh, good. Kanye's rapping. Over a minute in, but still. WHAT IS THIS SONG SERIOUSLY I DON'T GET IT
Gorgeous starts with GUITAR. It's a very good song, and I actually get what it is.
Power has one of the best intros ever. It's that song from SR3 that played when some asshole was in your pool. It samples 21st Century Schizoid Man.
The interlude is just a piano piece. It leads into All of the Lights, which has PERCUSSION. There are so many guest vocalists, some chick gets a section for herself; I'm confused. I'd much prefer it if it were just Kanye.
Monster is mostly just Kanye. It's certainly nice, until the chick comes in. I hate the chick. I really fucking hate the chick.
So Apalled is... okay? I don't know. It's not offensive.
Devil in a New Dress has... chicks trying to sing opera in the back? What is this? It's really annoying. As it goes on, I hate it more and more.
Runaway's pretty great, actually. I can't wait for something to ruin it. Nine minutes is an awful long time. Fucking hell, this song is great. Why couldn't the whole album be like this?
Hell of a Life is cool. The autotuned bit uses... Iron Man's rhythm. Huh. I really like it.
Blame Game features the lyric "I'll call you bitch, for short". Ouch. It has singing, but the guy can actually sing, so it's great... until they start talking about PUSSY. EVERYONE LOVES PUSSY
I don't get Lost in the World. I just don't. There's, like, a cacophony of noise near the end. I think I have a headache.
Who Will Survive in America is good.
This is one of the few albums where I won't know what songs will be great or awful until they're over. Too many guest vocalists.
I guess my problem with this album is that it's too ambitious. All of these guests, all of this sampling, it all just goes over my head. I don't mind rapping. If it's done well over a good beat, I'm fine with it. Kanye has a good voice for the style, but he puts all kinds of shit into it. The highlight, Runaway, is very simple. It's nine minutes, but it's a good nine minutes. I really enjoyed it.
In the end, I loved parts of this album, but I absolutely hated other parts. Welp.
Highlights: Runaway, Power, Hell of a Life, Blame Game, Gorgeous
Lowlights: Monster
I don't know. I'm torn.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "The Cars" by The Cars
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/life-of-by-gazeeboes.html
Suggested by my father. This marks the second new wave album I've reviewed, after A Flock of Seagulls' debut.
This album has two vocalists. The one I like better sings Just What I Needed and the last three songs (which happen to be the highlights, far and away).
The album starts with Good Times Roll, which is kind of repetitive. It's... okay. Kind of cheesy.
My Best Friend's Girl is kind of cheesy, also. It sounds a lot like a Devo song, but with a cool guitar solo.
Just What I Needed is probably the obvious song. It was used a lot of Circuit City commercials, before the chain shut down. I really like the mix on the version I've got. The drum fills are pronounced, and there's a cool guitar lick before the second verse. I guess the guitar part isn't anything special, but it works super-well for the song. The chorus is one of those things that a crowd could get really into. The guitar solo is, like, it's great, but it sounds very... calculated. The guitar solo was written out, note for note, before they recorded. That's not a bad thing, but you know. The ending thing is really cool. I think it was done on a synthesiser.
I'm in Touch with Your World is kind of odd. I like the parts where the guitar and synthesiser work in unison. There's a mini guitar solo in there behind all kinds of weird noises. I actually really like it.
Don'tcha Stop has a pretty cool riff. The solos are great, too, but they still feel premeditated.
You're All I've Got Tonight has some cool guitar licks in there; trills and whatnot. They repeat every verse/chorus, so they're not spontaneous. Shame.
Byebye, Love has more serious subject matter, but it's still at about the same tempo as the rest of the album. You'd think it wouldn't work, especially with the odd synthesiser bits, but it does. Odd.
Moving in Stereo plods forward at a carefully measured pace. All I can imagine when I hear it is a group of leather jacket-clad guys with puffy new wave hair snapping their fingers in unison and surrounding an unsuspecting target. By that, I mean the song is awesome.
All Mixed Up closes the album. It's probably the slowest song on the album, but it picks up into a more rock song without changing tempo. The tempo increases after that, and the drums just POUND into the guitar solo. It has, um, horns? I like horns. My version cuts off early, which is a shame.
So, after listening to this album, I've made a few realistions. First is that I liked it. Second is that every sound on this album, every instrument, was carefully worked in. Every note was planned; no mid-song improvisation here. Well, it worked for me.
Highlights: Just What I Needed, All Mixed Up, Moving in Stereo, Byebye Love
Lowlights: Good Times Roll
I'll do another, sure.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:01 pm

03 Apr 2012: "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" by Iron Maiden
Yeah. This was Iron Maiden's seventh album; their fifth with Dickinson. This was also their last of the 80s, and came out in 1987 1988. Can't win 'em all. It is often called "the last great Iron Maiden album".
Moonchild starts with a slow intro. It picks up rather well and is a great opener. You know.
Infinite Dreams is pretty much Iron Maiden being Iron Maiden.
Can I Play with Madness? is a weird song for me. I loved it when I first heard it, then I hated it for a while, but now I love it again. I guess it's kind of gay.
The Evil That Men Do, I only remember from a live Iron Maiden thing me, Purple and some GHG guys watched back in 2007. It's very good.
The title track is the longest song on the album, at almost ten minutes. It shows off the band's ability to get a ten-minute song to remain interesting throughout. The section at around 6:30 is very pronounced. It's quiet, but it's almost haunting in a way. Then the guitar solo happens, and you know I love guitar solos. Then after that, there's, like, chanting? I don't know why I like this so much.
It kind of segues into The Prophecy, which is also very ambitious. There's whispering behind the main vocal line, which I enjoyed. It even has a great guitar solo!
The Clairvoyant was one of the songs on The Essential Iron Maiden, which I own. I figured it would be a highlight, but then the rest of the album happened.
The album ends with a cover of Billy Joel's Only the Good Die Young. It's... okay. Nice big rock ending... that isn't an ending.
I loved this album, but that shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.
Highlights: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Prophecy, The Evil That Men Do, Can I Play with Madness?, Moonchild
Lowlights: Only the Good Die Young
Best of the Dickinson albums, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews Supplemental
Page 7 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next