ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Reviews Supplemental

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13955
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

03 Mar 2012: "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden
This is Iron Maiden's sixth album. It marks the point where they stopped doing yearly releases and increased the ambition and scope of their blah blah blah blah blah
Before today, I had only heard Wasted Years, Heaven Can Wait, and Alexander the Great.
Caught Somewhere in Time begins the album by just roaring out of the gate, then Wasted Years continues by not only roaring, but having that goddamned chorus.
Sea of Madness decides to also roar out of the gate with one of the most badass riffs I've heard in a while.
Heaven Can Wait is much better than I remembered. It's still a bit too long, though.
The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner starts off making you think it'll be a slower song, but then picks up instantly when the vocals come in. There are some sections that could be cut out, though.
Stranger in a Strange Land is slower, but plods along at just the right pace. It sounds like it's trying to be an epic song, and succeeds. Barely.
Deja Vu reminds me of a Di'Anno song at the beginning. Can't remember which one. Then it picks up into RIFF that reminds me of... um... DragonForce. Don't ask. Then it picks up and is different than any previous Iron Maiden song. This is hardly deja vu. Oh, it's also the shortest song on the album. It's just shy of five minutes.
And it's followed by the longest, Alexander the Great. It's over eight-and-a-half. It starts with TALKING. Basically, it tries to combine Hallowed be thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It's not as good as either, but it's still a really great song, once it gets going. It's just a shame it takes a while to do so.
Overall, this album is great. A few songs are a bit too long, but it doesn't affect the quality much.
Highlights: Wasted Years, Deja Vu, Sea of Madness, Caught Somewhere in Time
Lowlights: Alexander the Great
In relation to other albums:
On-par with (maybe slightly better than) The Number of the Beast and Powerslave. Better than Piece of Mind.
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 12:48 pm

04 Mar 2012: "Darkness on the Edge of Town" by Bruce Springsteen
This album is the follow-up to Born to Run. On this album, I noticed that Bruce Springsteen's voice has the amazing ability to make it sound like he's trying way too hard every time he opens his mouth. It seems to get less endearing over time.
Racing in the Street is the longest song on the album, and tries to be another Jungleland or something. However, the subject matter is really banal. The ending gets more serious, but it just feels so stupid. I can't take it seriously.
Conversely, the shortest song on the album, Factory, feels like it's too short. It's like we get half a song here. We get setup, chorus the crowd could chant, fadeout. This song could have been six minutes. The subject matter actually supports it. Fuck.
Streets of Fire sounds very different than anything on Born to Run or this album. Instead of sounding like he's trying too hard, Bruce sounds like he's fucking into it. This is easily the highlight. As a sidenote, it could also support being six minutes, subject matter-wise.
SPOKE TOO SOON Darkness on the Edge of Town is this album's Jungleland, in that it's the obvious highlight and ends the album.
In the end, this album would be much better without Racing in the Street. I'd be able to give this album a really great score on Rate Your Music, and we'd all be good. But, as it is, it gets a 4.0.
Highlights: Darkness on the Edge of Town, Streets of Fire, Adam Raised a Cain, Factory, Prove it All Night
Lowlights: Racing in the Street
Not as good as Born to Run, overall, but the second side saves the fuck out of it.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 pm

05 Mar 2012: "Reckoning" by R.E.M.
Thanks for the help, Yellow. Fucking Yahoo.
This was R.E.M.'s second album. They apparently made a short film for the first side of the record.
My problem with this album is that it never rises above a certain quality line. It also never dips below a certain line, so I guess it's all right. I rated every song incredible, outstanding or euphoric. Since I grade on a weird curve, that means the songs are really good, but not outstanding.
This is a good album. Nothing more, nothing less.
As for the bonus tracks, White Tornado is a rather interesting instrumental. Moon River is a piano ballad. I don't know.
Highlights: none
Lowlights: none
Not as good as Document, Murmur or Collapse into Now; better than Green and Out of Time.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:35 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Thickfreakness" by The Black Keys
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/not-my-day-by-guy-who-generally-has.html
This was their second album, and the last I have to review. JOIN US LATER FOR THAT ONE EP OF COVERS THEY DID
It slots between The Big Come-Up and Rubber Factory nicely. Basically, their first three albums are their best albums. Magic Potion and Attack and Release (as well as Keep it Hid, Dan's solo album) are still really great, though. Brothers was awful. El Camino was just okay. I'd recommend listening to their albums in order. It's a shame that I didn't.
Anyway, The Black Keys' first three albums are all a beautiful marriage of blues and garage rock. The production makes the songs sound kind of old, which really works for the music.
In the end, I'd recommend their first three albums to anyone who wants to get into the "early 2000s garage rock scene". It's very accessible as far as garage rock goes. The only band more accessible from the genre would be The White Stripes, arguably.
Highlights: Hard Row
Lowlights: I Cry Alone
On-par with The Big Come-Up and Rubber Factory; better than the rest.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 pm

06 Mar 2012: "Shenanigans" by Green Day
This album is a compilation of Green Day's b-sides from singles released 1994-2000, plus a new song written by Mike Dirnt. It came out right between Warning and American Idiot. Other bands, such as Nirvana, Oasis and The Beatles, have taught me that these can be super-good.
Unfortunately, Green Day had a habit of putting a good bit of filler on their albums. If their albums aren't 100%, their b-sides must be fucking horrid, right? These b-sides aren't bad, but they're certainly not the best Green Day have to offer. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who hasn't listened to the rest of their discography. If you have, it's an all right compilation.
Though, I must say, the last five songs could have been on an album. I'd recommend listening to my highlights if you haven't and you already like Green Day.
Highlights: Haha You're Dead, Do Da Da, Rotting, You Lied, Sick of Me, On the Wagon Again
Lowlights: Espionage
It would be their worst, if it weren't just a b-sides compilation.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 pm

07 Mar 2012: "Red Rose Speedway" by Paul McCartney and Wings
This was Wings' second album, released the same year as Band on the Run, which was their third.
I went into this expecting Wings' trademark brand of loading the album with filler. I was surprised.
Until track eight, there isn't any filler. All the songs are either nice, or are just amazing.
Then First Indian on the Moon happens. It's a very pretentious instrumental.
BUT THEN, Paul unleashes Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands of Love/Power Cut. A fucking eleven-minute-long medley. Any of the songs could have worked on their own, but together, they're fucking amazing.
Then bonus tracks happen. They're really good, but blunt the medley's impact a bit.
Highlights: Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands of Love/Power Cut, The Mess, My Love, Big Barn Red
Lowlights: First Indian on the Moon
Not as good as Back to the Egg; on-par with Band on the Run; better than else.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

08 Mar 2012: "Innervisions" by Stevie Wonder
I chose this album because it's on the /mu/ essentials list, and I've been meaning to listen to more Stevie Wonder.
The obvious draws here are Higher Ground and Living for the City, which are two of the best on the album.
The album does something I absolutely HATE. It starts with the worst song. I fucking hate that. The first track is supposed to set the pace for the album, but starting with the worst track does the opposite. It puts you in the mindset that this album will be horrid, then pulls a 180.
Complaining aside, this album, overall, is very good. Essential listening, maybe not. It seems like a decent enough starting point for Stevie Wonder.
Highlights: Higher Ground, Living for the City, Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing
Lowlights: Too High
I'll put another on my to-do list, but I'm not promising anything.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 pm

09 Mar 2012: "My Aim is True" by Elvis Costello
This album is also on the /mu/ essentials list, but I've been meaning to do it for a while.
To start, Bateman heard right. Sir Costello sounds an awful lot like Huey Lewis.
Mystery Dance sounds exactly like Blue Suede Shoes. Or something like that. Blue Suede Shoes came to mind first.
I remember using I'm Not Angry on that gigantic Rock Band list I made. I stand by the choice. It has an outro solo.
So, yeah. I really liked this album. I'd recommend it.
Highlights: I'm Not Angry, Mystery Dance, Blame it on Cain
Lowlights: Less Than Zero, Welcome to the Working Week
YES
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 4:59 pm

10 Mar 2012: "At Folsom Prison" by Johnny Cash
This is a live album, on /mu/'s essentials list. It was recorded at an actual prison. Folsom Prison. It doesn't feature all of his hits, but the setlist is tailored to his audience. It works well.
"so you can't say hell or shit or anything like that" Oh, Johnny, you so crazy.
One thing I really like about this album is how Johnny seems to be having fun, and the audience is really into it. Those are two things live albums like this need.
Sadly, I do not like June Carter's voice. At all. The tracks with her on them are the lowlights.
Highlights: Cocaine Blues, Folsom Prison Blues, The Legend of John Henry's Hammer
Lowlights: Jackson, I Got Stripes
YES
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 12:02 pm

11 Mar 2012: "Parklife" by Blur
This was on the /mu/ essentials list. I wanted to make sure me not liking Blur was justified. It is.
Their singuy sounds like a worse version of The Clash's. The songwriting doesn't make up for the singing. The decent songs are the ones that don't linger on the singing. I do not like the singing. Have I mentioned that the worst part is the singing?
The song Bank Holiday has some really cool instruments and a guitar solo near the end. I'd check that out if you like that sort of thing.
The Debt Collector is instrumental, but it's really boring. I can't win.
Far Out would be super-interesting with a good singuy. Until the vocals come in, it sounds like a song Yellow would like.
To the End shows how bad singuy's voice is. He's trying to sing well and failing awfully. Where's Liam Gallagher when you need him?
London Loves has a pretty cool riff, but again
Clover Over Dover sounds really cool until
Magic America has really cool backing music, but
Jubilee sounds pretty much exactly like The Clash.
This is a Low is stretched into infinity.
The last song is mercifully the shortest. Lot 105 is filler. Instrumental fluff. Sigh.
I didn't hate this album, but I certainly didn't like it. I didn't feel like I had to turn it off right away, but I wasn't enjoying myself very much.
Bottom line: Blur would be a great band with a decent singuy. Or Liam Gallagher.
Highlights: Bank Holiday, End of the Century, Clover Over Dover
Lowlights: everything
I'm not doing another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

12 Mar 2012: "Second Helping" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
I needed a break from new music after Parklife, so I went with something safe today. The obvious draws here are Sweet Home Alabama, Call Me the Breeze, and Working for MCA. Swamp Music is here, too, which I used on many music game lists.
The album starts with Sweet Home Alabama. I have always had a soft spot for it. Everything comes together in just the right way. As opposed to most "classic" songs, which I regularly tire of, I never feel tired of Sweet Home Alabama.
I Need You is a seven-minute ballad. Freebird it ain't, but it never feels overlong.
Don't Ask Me No Questions is pretty much as standard a Lynyrd Skynyrd song can get. It feels like they're just going through the motions, but it works well enough.
Working for MCA is also a standard Skynyrd song, but it feels less going through the motions, and more like a great song.
I didn't get The Ballad of Curtis Loew when I got the greatest hits, and I still don't get it. It's okay.
Swamp Music is still the song I loved. Riffs, solos, it's got it all.
The Needle and the Spoon really surprised me. I expected it to be filler. It's actually a really great song. It has GUITAR EFFECTS.
The album ends on Call Me the Breeze, which everyone knows. I still love it.
OH BUT THERE ARE BONUS TRACKS
The first bonus track is a demo of Don't Ask Me No Questions. It seems better then the album version.
Was I Right or Wrong is a carefully-paced slow song. It never feels boring, and the pace never feels insensitive to the subject matter. It could have fit on the album super-well. I think it reuses the chords from Gimme Three Steps in the solo.
Take Your Time is the longest song on the album. I'd call it lethargic if I didn't know better. It's rather jammy, but in a good way.
I really enjoyed this album. After the near-perfect Pronounced, Second Helping lives up to its name. It's a second helping of everything great about Pronounced.
Highlights: Call Me the Breeze, Sweet Home Alabama, The Needle and the Spoon, Was I Right or Wrong, Swamp Music
Lowlights: The Ballad of Curtis Loew
Not as good as Pronounced, but barely.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:09 pm

13 Mar 2012: "Beggars' Banquet" by The Rolling Stones
On the essentials list.
The album starts with the obvious draw, Sympathy for the Devil. I used to hate this song, but it's really grown on me over the years.
One thing I noticed about this album is how every song, even the slower "Jagger can't sing" songs, fit perfectly within the scope of the album. Instead of being hindered by Jagger's voice, they're actually improved.
On Stray Cat Blues, guitar riffs blend seamlessly into piano notes. Every instrument, as well as Jagger's voice, drives this song into highlightland. The drums are pounding away in the background, but they don't seem to intrude. They're just helping everything else along, occasionally stepping forward for a fill. There is a drum break, but it actually fits rather well. Charlie Watts knows watt's up. GET IT come for the reviews stay for the awful puns
My problem with Factory Girl isn't that it's a bad song, but that it follows Stray Cat Blues. Another song on the album is very similar to this one, but this one seems worse because of its location. However, I think it's needed there to give the last track, Salt of the Earth, its full impact. Right after Stray Cat Blues, it would have come off as bad. After Factory Girl, however, Salt of the Earth comes off as an amazing closer. It's give and take, really.
I was really surprised by this album. I was expecting a good album, and got a great one. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, especially if you're Yellow.
Highlights: Stray Cat Blues, Street Fighting Man, Jigsaw Puzzle, Sympathy for the Devil, Salt of the Earth
Lowlights: Factory Girl
Best.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 am

14 Mar 2012: "Blizzard of Ozz" by Ozzy Osbourne
Today I was in a METAL MOOD
This album starts with I Don't Know, which I've always loved. It's followed by Crazy Train. I know this song, you know this song, we all know this song. I'm still partial to the Tribute version over this one, but it's still pretty great.
After those ROCK songs, we have a ballad called Goodbye to Romance. I know what you're thinking: Ozzy Osbourne + ballads = bad news. This song actually works well. Ozzy doesn't sing it half-badly. Is that a thing?
After that is Randy Rhoads' instrumental, Dee. As always, it's pretty great.
However, that's followed by Suicide Solution. No idea what happened there. After that is Mr. Crowley. Sigh. It's not as bad as I remembered. It is still overrated AND WOULD BE SHITTY IN A GUITAR-BASED RHYTHM GAME
The next song, No Bone Movies, kicks off with A RIFF. The best riff so far on the album. This song definitely relies more on the music than the lyrics, and I'm fine with that.
After RIFF is another slow song called Revelation Mother Earth. I don't understand it. I just don't get what it's trying to do, what it's trying to be.
Then Steal Away the Night happens and is a rock song. AND A HIGHLIGHT
This album was a nice fit of nostalgia, with some great new songs thrown in. I can't believe I didn't listen to it sooner.
Highlights: No Bone Movies, I Don't Know, Steal Away the Night, Crazy Train, Suicide Solution
Lowlights: Revelation Mother Earth
Definitely.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 am

15 Mar 2012: "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop
On that stupid essentials list.
The first track just drags on forever and does nothing. Fuck it.
Sweet Sixteen is much better, and shorter. I did not hate it.
Some Weird Sin is actually a good song. It doesn't drag on and does just what it tries to.
Fourth is The Passenger, which I remember from LEGO Rock Band. I remember it dragging on forever in that game, but it doesn't seem so bad here. Probably because I'm not playing that fucking repetitive guitar part.
I don't get Tonight. It's okay, I guess, but I don't get the backing vocals.
Success is Iggy trying to sound like... Bob Dylan?! Why would someone do that? Sigh. Backing vocals are horrible again.
Turn Blue is seven minutes long. It is incredibly pretentious. And it features impressions of Brian Johnson, three years early. THIS MAN WAS A PROGRESSIVE.
Neighbourhood Threat is a pretty good song. If the album had ended there, I'd have been happy. Alas.
The final song, Fall in Love with Me, is also seven minutes long. It's actually pretty good, but it drags on for too long. Fuck.
I mostly hated this album. The lowlights were incredibly low, and the highlights weren't very high.
Highlights: Some Weird Sin, The Passenger, Neighbourhood Threat, Sweet Sixteen
Lowlights: Turn Blue, Lust for Life
No. Fucking never.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "The Spaghetti Incident?" by Guns N' Roses
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/ive-been-lost-by-lost-guys.html
I figured doing this universally-panned album was a great idea after doing a universally-loved album that I hated.
The was the last GN'R album with Guitar Hero Slash. Izzy had already left by this time.
This album is all covers, and I've heard some of the songs. Yay.
First is Since I Don't Have You. I've only heard BSO's. It's not as good as BSO's, but it's still a solid effort. It doesn't sound at all like a Guns N' Roses song. The only way you could tell is Axl's voice. I actually liked this more than I thought I would; it picks up rather well and does a genre-swap while staying true to... BSO's version at least. Which came later, by the way. This song made it onto their greatest hits, I should note.
Next is New Rose, which I haven't heard the original of. Duff sings this song, and it turned out pretty well.
Third is Down on the Farm, which I've never heard of. Axl tries to be every punk guy ever (Johnny Rotten), and does it better than every punk guy ever (Johnny Rotten).
Human Being is a cover of a New York Dolls song I've never heard. It sounds like it could almost fit on Appetite for Destruction, or at least the "live" portion of Lies. Oh, and it's seven minutes long. And Axl plays kazoo. Kazoo. Axl Rose. This is the best album ever.
Raw Power is next, a reminder of how great that album was. Fucking Iggy Pop. Axl and Duff share this song, and it turns out really well.
Next is Ain't it Fun, which also made it onto their greatest hits. I haven't heard the original. Lead vocals are shared between Axl and Hanoi Rocks guy. Words cannot describe how well it works. Aside from the word I used on MCBB, of course.
After that is a medley of Buick Mackane and Big Dumb Sex. I've only heard Buick Mackane of the two. The Buick Mackane part is very shitty. No one can do Buick Mackane besides Bolan. It just sounds wrong.
After that is Hair of the Dog by Nazareth, co-written by Agnew. I always hated Hair of the Dog, because singuy sounds like fucking Brian Johnson. Guitar Hero Slash does the low vocals underneath Axl's, and does TALKBOX. This song is miles better than the original. It ends with a slowed-down version of the Day Tripper riff. Nice touch.
NOTE: I haven't heard any of the original versions beyond this point.
Attitude is a The Misfits cover. It does, however, sound like it could fit on either Use Your Illusion. I really like the guitar solo.
Black Leather's intro reminds me a bit of You Could be Mine. I don't really like You Could be Mine. It gets better, though, so it's all good.
You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory is sung by Duff. It's a very nice song. I may be underselling it.
The last track enrolled in songs academy twice so it's really two songs
The first one, I Don't Care About You, is very shitty. Like, extremely shitty.
Look at Your Game, Girl is actually very good, but I will likely never listen to it again, because it's attached to I Don't Care About You.
I actually really liked this album. It's woefully underrated.
Highlights: You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory, Human Being, Since I Don't Have You, Raw Power, Look at Your Game Girl
Lowlights: Buick Mackane/Big Dumb Sex, I Don't Care About You
Better than Use Your Illusion II and Chinese Democracy. Worse than Appetite, Lies or UYI I.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 11:50 am

16 Mar 2012: "Agents of Fortune" by Blue Oyster Cult
Their fourth album; the one with Don't Fear the Reaper on it.
True Confessions reminds me of a Huey Lewis and the News song. It just had that air about it.
Immediately after that is Don't Fear the Reaper. Shame the goddamn guitar solo ruins the entire song. Luckily, we have options.
Extra Terrestrial Intelligence is a ROCK song, like most songs on their previous three.
I don't understand The Revenge of Vera Gemini. What is it?
Sinful Love has a RIFF. I like riffs.
Tattoo Vampire is pretty weird. In a good way?
Tenderloin is... a sex song? Um, okay. It has a nice solo.
Debbie Denise ends the album on an okay note.
I don't know why I keep doing Blue Oyster Cult albums. I've given all four a 3.5 on rate your music. They're okay, but don't really impress me. I guess it's better than leaping into the unknown and reviewing Lust for Life.
Highlights: Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, Don't Fear the Reaper, Sinful Love
Lowlights: The Revenge of Vera Gemini
On-par with the lot.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Who the Fuck are Arctic Monkeys?" by Arctic Monkeys
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/09/turning-to-left-by-guys-who-hate-life.html
This was their first third EP, this one coming out a few months after Whatever People Say I Am. It has four songs I haven't heard before, and a song from the aforementioned Whatever People Say I Am.
The View from the Afternoon is a different mix or something. I think I like it better. Unless it's the same, in which case, I like it better than I'd remembered.
The other four songs feel like they could easily have been on Whatever People Say I Am, or put onto their next album. But here they are.
Cigarettesmoker Fiona is a standard rock song. Departure Lounge and No Buses are slower songs, but they work well.
The EP ends on the title track. I think it actually points more towards Favourite Worst Nightmare than any other song here.
In the end, this EP is super-good. I enjoyed it.
Highlights: Who the Fuck are Arctic Monkeys?, The View from the Afternoon, No Buses, Departure Lounge
On-par with Whatever People Say I Am; worse than else.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 11:59 am

17 Mar 2012: "Master of Reality" by Black Sabbath
This album was on /mu/'s essentials list. I liked Paranoid, so I figured this could be good.
It starts with Sweet Leaf, which I've never been too big on. HEY LOOK AT ME I DO DRUGS
After Forever is much better. It's actually interesting and not about drugs.
Embryo is a short filler song. It doesn't even scrobble.
Children of the Grave is probably one of the better Black Sabbath songs, Ozzy-wise, at least. It has an interesting riff and Ozzy isn't obviously just singing the riff. He probably is, but still. It's just a shame about those last fifty seconds.
Orchid is another filler instrumental. Ugh.
Lords of This World's guitar solo sounds a lot like Children of the Grave's. I don't know why, but I really like this song.
Solitude is a slow song. A slow, low-key Black Sabbath song. Is Ozzy even singing this? What the fuck is this?
Last is Into the Void, which saves the album with a riff.
I don't understand this album. Two acoustic instrumentals and a low-key song on a Black Sabbath album. Did I miss something?
Highlights: Into the Void, Lords of This World, Children of the Grave, After Forever
Lowlights: Sweet Leaf
Paranoid was better.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:35 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "All We Know is Falling" by Paramore
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/best-days-of-by-guys-of-best.html
Figured I should do this. It's the last album I have to review of theirs until they release another.
The first thing I noticed about this album was how much more ROCK it is than their other two. The guitars are super-prominent in the mixes. I like it.
One thing that I noticed on Riot! that's continued throughout their discography is how Hayley sounds pretty much exactly the same on every song. This makes listening to a Paramore album tricky.
Emergency uses reaper sound effects before Mass Effect even came out how is that possible
Also, my album's tracks are out of order?! Okay. Time to FIX THAT
Also, there is a song called "Woah". I don't even know.
The album ends on a slow song with actual singing. Hayley isn't very good at that. She's not awful, but she's just okay. ... it has really bad scream-o vocals behind Hayley at the end. This song is really shitty.
I had a giant list of lowlights, by My Heart is miles worse than anything I've heard in years. Or at least since Lust for Life.
Highlights: Here We Go Again, Pressure, All We Know
Lowlights: My Heart
Better than All We Know is Falling; worse than Riot!.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 12:34 pm

18 Mar 2012: "Binaural" by Pearl Jam
I was wary about this album going in. Not only does Wikipedia say that Vedder had writer's block, it also came out between Yield (a great album) and Riot Act (an unbelievably shitty album).
This album had Pearl Jam experimenting with new recording techniques, such as binaural audio, which is something Yellow might be into.
I found all of the songs to be very Pearl Jam-y, one way or another. It turns out Riot Act was an isolated incident. good job pearl jam
Of the Girl's percussion is odd, though. The song's a lot more stripped down, but aside from that, it's still Pearl Jam.
Soon Forget is just Vedder and a stringed instrument whose name I can't spell. Somehow, it doesn't seem very weird at all in context.
My only problem is the last track. It's a very boring song, followed by a hidden track, which is typewriter noises. Fuck.
This was an okay album. Not mind-blowing, but Pearl Jam fans should like it.
Highlights: Insignificance, Grievance, Of the Girl
Lowlights: Parting Ways/Writer's Block
On-par with Yield, Backspacer and No Code; better than Riot Act and Pearl Jam; worse than else.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 11:50 am

19 Mar 2012: "Night in the Ruts" by Aerosmith
This was Aerosmith's last album with the original lineup until 1985's Done with Mirrors.
No Surprise was in Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. It apparently sums up their career. It's okay.
Chiquita is a ROCK song, despite being about bananas or something.
Remember Walking in the Sand was on their first greatest hits album. It's a pretty good song.
Cheesecake is a rather good precursor to Cherry Pie; a song named after a desert fashioned into a SEX SONG
Three-Mile Smile has probably the best riff + solo on the album. It's a rather nice song.
Reeferhead Woman is one of the bluesiest Aerosmith songs. It works very well, actually.
Spoke too soon; Bone-to-Bone has the best Aerosmith riff ever.
Think About It is okay. Could be better. The riff is pretty cool, though.
Mia is a much slower song, which picks up into crashing guitar riffs. It's easily the best on the album.
I was surprised by this album, again. How could Aerosmith's two most panned albums be two of their best? Apparently rather easily.
Highlights: Mia, Bone-to-Bone, Three-Mile Smile, Cheesecake, Reeferhead Woman
On-par with Rock in a Hard Place and Get a Grip; better than else.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 12:53 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Amorica." by The Black Crowes
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/help-me-bro-by-bros.html
As you can see from my original review, I wasn't too big on this album. It kind of threw me off The Black Crowes for a while. You see, when I hear a bad album, I freeze and don't go for anything else from that artist. This made sense when I was actually spending money. The weird thing is, I don't remember it at all. At all. So I'm going to listen to it again and hope I either remember why I didn't like it, or I actually like it. Also, I actually own this album on CD.
Another note is that this is regarded as, like, their best album by fans. I want to remember why I don't like it at the very least.
The first track, Gone, I remember as being the only one I liked at all. It's rather great.
A Conspiracy kicks off with a riff and DRUMS. Chris's voice sounds a bit odd sometimes, but it's still a really good song.
High-Head Blues has, like, a xylophone or something. It's really cool, actually. And is that cowbell?! AND A GUITAR SOLO AM I IN HEAVEN
Cursed Diamond is a much slower song, as well as the longest at the album, being three seconds shy of six minutes. It picks up into a harder song, but doesn't change the tempo much. It works well. And you know with long songs, sometimes I'm hard on the song for having banal subject matter? This song doesn't have that problem.
Nonfiction is a pretty slow song, with interesting guitar bits thrown in after some lines. It's pretty cool, actually.
She Gave Good Sunflower is pretty much a standard The Black Crowes song. It's them doing what they do.
P. 25 London has those train-y guitar sounds Cream liked. They're used very well. Is it just me that gets "TRAINS" out of it?
Ballad in Urgency (which I originally typed as Ballad of Trains) reminds me of a song on Southern Harmony that I liked and can't remember the name of. Oh well.
Wiser Time segues right from Ballad of Trains. It's pretty different, since it has super-noticable harmonies on the verses. It also has a nice solo. It was also the biggest hit on the album (still didn't come close to Hard to Handle or Remedy).
Downtown Money-Waster starts off really insane. I couldn't even process it. Then it dials back and becomes a Lynyrd Skynyrd song. Not a particularly interesting one, though.
Descender is another standard The Black Crowes song, but in the other direction. It closed the original album, BUT BONUS TRACKS
Song of the Flesh is pretty good. I can see why it didn't make the album, though.
Saturday Night Buttermilk Waltz is the very definition of a song just tacked on as a bonus track because it could never make an album.
I don't get it. All the songs sound like they could have been on Southern Harmony without much trouble. I really liked this album. Maybe it's because I'm older and not a total faggot
Highlights: Cursed Diamond, Gone, High-Head Blues, P. 25 London
Lowlights: Saturday Night Buttermilk Waltz, Downtown Money-Waster, Song of the Flesh
Not as good as Shake Your Moneymaker; on-par with Southern Harmony; better than By Your Side.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

20 Mar 2012: "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" by Bob Dylan
On /mu/'s essentials list.
My main problem with this album is that the arrangements really emphasis Bob Dylan's vocals. Bob Dylan's vocals.
This is pretty bad on a lot of the songs. The songs are so slow that Bob's voice really hurts the songs.
At least now I know to not go for Bob Dylan's early albums.
Highlights: who cares
Lowlights: who cares
Worst.
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES
Peewee

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 308703
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 pm

21 Mar 2012: "Goodbye" by Cream
This was Cream's last album. It could have been an EP, but they added some live tracks.
It opens with a nine-minute version of I'm so Glad. Nine minutes. It's mostly Clapton soloin'. All the instruments kind of blend together, so it's not very interesting. I'm sure it was interesting to see live, but the mixing makes it terribly uninteresting.
The live version of Politician doesn't do much for me, either. The extended solos aren't very interesting. I expect better of a man who is always in the top ten on greatest guitarists lists.
The live version of Sitting on Top of the World isn't extended, though. It's probably the best of the live half, anyway.
Side B opens with one of the best Cream songs, Badge, which has a guitar part by George Harrison.
Doing That Scrapyard Thing is pretty much Cream in one track, for better or worse.
What a Bring Down was the last track on the original album. It's actually a really good song.
The sole bonus track is Anyone for Tennis. It's certainly not the best Cream song, but it isn't without its charms.
I would hate this album if it were just the live tracks. On the other hand, I'd love it if it were just the studio tracks. shrug
Highlights: Badge
Lowlights: I'm so Glad, Politician
Fuck, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews Supplemental
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next