ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Reviews Supplemental

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13955
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "The Dream of the Blue Turtles" by Sting
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-much-different-by-guys-of.html
Revisiting Vinyl guy did this, and I've been meaning to give Sting's solo career another chance.
This was Sting's first album after The Police broke up. It came out in 1985.
If You Love Somebody, Set Them Free is uptempo and is a rather nice, if not fun, song. Sting does his rock thing and it works well.
"In the empire of the senses, you are the queen of all you survey". I agree with Revisiting Vinyl guy that Sting is amazing with words. This song also references Every Breath You Take (or D'yer Mak'er, if you prefer).
Russians is about the cold war. Its impact has been dulled by time, but you can really tell what Sting was going for. I'd like to think he hit it, but it's impossible to tell in 2012. Even if you forget about all that, the song itself is very good. I liked Sting's phrasing.
Children's Crusade. I think the name says it all. By that, I mean that it's pretty fucking pretentious.
Someone doesn't know what key Shadows in the Rain is in!!! This is a fast-paced rock song. Sting's voice sounds sufficiently raspy here. It's great to follow Children's Crusade with this, to remind me why I love Sting. It has BRASS and DRUMMING.
We Work the Black Seam is also one of those "deep/meaningful" deals. The instrumentation is interesting and the phrasing is nice, so it's a good song. That's it. I'm not falling for Sting's tricks.
Consider Me Gone is, like, if Sting decided he wanted to be Frank Sinatra or something. Eh.
The title track is the shortest on the album, at just over a minute. It's super-neat.
Moon Over Bourbon Street is... kind of boring. There's barely anything going on.
Fortress Around Your Heart ends the album on a semi-medium-high note. It's one of the better songs on the album, certainly.
My main problem with this album is that it's pretty much half amazing, half mediocre.
Highlights: The Dream of the Blue Turtles, If You Love Somebody Set Them Free, Shadows in the Rain, Love is the Seventh Wave
Lowlights: Children's Crusade
In relation to other albums:
Better than fucking Brand New Day.
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 1:05 am

As a quick aside, I'd like to start this thing. I'd like to list the stand-out albums from each month I've been reviewing. I'll probably do this at the end of each month from now on. I'll put them in order from "best" to "least best".
These albums I'd recommend to anyone with a passing interest in their genre. If I bolded it, it means you have to listen to it. End of discussion.

NOVEMBER STAND-OUTS:
"T.Rex" by T.Rex
"Physical Graffiti" by Led Zeppelin
"You Could Have it so Much Better" by Franz Ferdinand
"Venus and Mars" by Paul McCartney and Wings
"The Age of the Understatement" by The Last Shadow Puppets
"Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds" by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
"Alligator Farm" by Paul Gilbert
"Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" by Arctic Monkeys

DECEMBER STAND-OUTS:
"Suck it and See" by Arctic Monkeys
"The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden
"In Through the Out Door" by Led Zeppelin
"Trouble" by Whitesnake
"The Dreams We Have as Children" by Noel Gallagher
"Nimrod" by Green Day
"Living in the Material World" by George Harrison
"Favourite Worst Nightmare" by Arctic Monkeys
"Paranoid" by Black Sabbath
"The Miracle" by Queen

JANUARY STAND-OUTS:
"Flying Dog" by Paul Gilbert
"Humbug" by Arctic Monkeys
"Stadium Arcadium" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Kerplunk" by Green Day
"Piece of Mind" by Iron Maiden

FEBRUARY STAND-OUTS:
"Back to the Egg" by Paul McCartney and Wings
"Powerslave" by Iron Maiden
"1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" by Green Day
"Pronounced" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Fresh Cream" by Cream
"Rock in a Hard Place" by Aerosmith
"Live After Death" by Iron Maiden
"Restless Heart" by Whitesnake
"Raw Power" by The Stooges
"Cosmo's Factory" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Vol. 1" by Traveling Wilburys

MARCH STAND-OUTS:
"Three Snakes and One Charm" by The Black Crowes
"Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden
"Begin Here" by The Zombies
"Second Helping" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Beggars' Banquet" by The Rolling Stones
"Amorica." by The Black Crowes
"Queen II" by Queen
"Rising" by Rainbow
"Red Rose Speedway" by Paul McCartney and Wings
"My Aim is True" by Elvis Costello
"Blizzard of Ozz" by Ozzy Osbourne
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:09 pm

04 Apr 2012: "Odessey and Oracle" by The Zombies
I loved Begin Here last month. This album, not so much.
The arrangements are more ambitious, and the vocals do more things, but it loses pretty much everything I like about Begin Here.
I guess it's okay, but I'm really disappointed. And either the entire album gets worse as it goes along, or my disappointment grows with every song. Or both!
The first song I really enjoyed on the album was This Will be Our Year. It's good, but most of Begin Here was better.
Butcher's Tale is awful. Awful awful awful. Friends of Mine is pretty bad, too.
Time of the Season is the only song on the album that sounds like it could have been on Begin Here. Thus, it is the best.
Sigh. I was so excited for this after Begin Here, but it disappointed me so many times over.
Highlights: Time of the Season, This Will be Our Year
Lowlights: Butcher's Tale, Friends of Mine
I think you know.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Chulahoma" by The Black Keys
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/09/boys-by-eifion-cole-lewis.html
This was an EP dedicated to a deceased bluesman, featuring covers of six of his songs.
Most of these songs have long instrumental breaks. Sigh. Those bits aren't very interesting, either. I guess I'm just not a blues guy.
Highlights: Meet Me in the City, Nobody but You
Lowlights:
Well, I'd take it over Brothers or El Camino.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 pm

05 Apr 2012: "Wild Life" by Paul McCartney and Wings
This was Wings' first album. It was critically panned. Oh boy.
First thing I noticed! The first two songs are way too long. The beat and entire intro of the third, Love is Strange, is uninteresting in every way.
The title track is pretentious bullshit.
Of course, this version has to instrumental 'link' tracks. Joy.
Tomorrow and Dear Friend are exactly what I wanted from this album. It's good to hear them here. This album needed something good.
Mumbo Link is better than Big Bop Link. It's actually kind of cool.
Oh Woman, Oh Why features a diseased Macca screaming after a fever dream. The hospitaliers then shoot him full of tranquiliser darts.
Then there's a fucking BADASS version of Mary Had a Little Lamb. Fuck yeah. I'm even going to do this: "\m/", in appreciation for how badass it is.
Little Woman Love ends the album on a weird note. I wouldn't have it any other way.
This album's second half is miles better than the first. Seriously, fuck the first half.
Highlights: Dear Friend, Tomorrow
Lowlights: Wild Life, Love is Strange, Big Bop Link
Worst.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Slip of the Tongue" by Whitesnake
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/gaaaaaaaaaaaames-by-game.html
That says "The Game", btw.
I figured that while I was doing albums I won't like, I'll finish off Whitesnake.
When I first previewed this album, I didn't like how high Coverdale's voice was all the time. I... don't mind it any more. Fuck.
The title track has a cool intro and is a GOOD SONG
Cheap an' Nasty is both cheesy and awful. I hate the lyrics and I have Coverdale's delivery. ... did he just say "cat out of hell"? I hate you so much right now, Coverdale.
Fool for Your Loving '89 tries really hard to be badass, and just ends up feeling empty. Fool for Your Loving '80 was miles better.
Now You're Gone, I think comes up short of what it's trying to be, but it's still a good song.
Kitten's Got Claws is basically a good version of Cheap an' Nasty. It's still retardedly cheesy, though.
Wings of the Storm is probably the best song so far.
The Deeper the Love is so out of place. There are songs about sex in cars, and now we're at tender love. Welp.
Judgement Day tries to be serious, but comes off as kind of cheesy.
Slowpoke Music
The final track is, of course, Sailing Ships. It's kind of overrated.
My main thing about this album is that it's very much a product of the '80s. I'm glad Whitesnake found a happy medium between their early blues works and... this.
Highlights: Slowpoke Music, The Deeper the Love, Wings of the Storm, Slip of the Tongue, Sailing Ships
Lowlights: Cheap an' Nasty, Fool for Your Loving '89
Worst.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

06 Apr 2012: "Nuthin' Fancy"[sic] by Lynyrd Skynyrd
This was their third album, which features Saturday Night Special.
On Saturday Night Special, it's pretty obvious he's saying "Mister Saturday Night Special", referring to it as a person. "It's a Saturday Night Special" makes no sense in context.
Cheatin' Woman is nothing special; maybe a bit boring.
Railroad Song has TRAIN HARMONICA. It is a term I have just created. It's pretty much Lynyrd Skynyrd going through the motions of being Lynyrd Skynyrd, now with harmonicas!
I'm a Country Boy proves that Lynyrd Skynyrd's filler was much better than most of what I've been reviewing lately.
And that's basically this album in a nutshell; Lynyrd Skynyrd needed an album, and just wrote whatever. They were very good at just writing whatever, but some delivery comes off as vapid. The title of the album is right on the nose.
The album ends, however, on Whiskey Rock-a-Roller. They used the best songs to bookend the album.
BUT BONUS TRACKS HAPPEN
They're basically live versions of two of the "good" songs.
In the end, I liked the album. It's by no means life-changing, but it's a solid album.
Highlights: Saturday Night Special, Whiskey Rock-a-Roller, Am I Losin', Made in the Shade
Lowlights: I'm a Country Boy
Worst. I know that sounds like I didn't like the album at all, but I'm comparing with with two albums I rated five stars on RYM.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Hunky Dory" by David Bowie
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/tie-guys-by-guys-of-guys.html
Welp. Not only is this on the /mu/ essentials list, but Yellow and RYM think I'd really like it. I guess we'll find out.
Before I start, I have to say that David Bowie is weird for me. I've listened to three of his albums, all of which I like far less than when I first listened to them. Well, I still really like Ziggy, but less than I did originally.
Changes, of course, starts the album. I enjoy it.
I like how this album is piano/vocals-focused. It's rather freshing.
Well, Eight-Line Poem is kind of lame.
Life on Mars? is, of course, a fucking masterpiece. I'm not joking, though I'll probably hate it within the week. Now to see if Bowie's already blown his entire load!
Luckily, Kooks is really good. Yeah. It even does a decent job of following Life on Mars?.
I don't have much to say about this album, because I'm busy experiencing it. And the fridge.
Fill Your Heart is kind of cheesy, but it works.
Andy Warhol has a cool guitar sound.
Queen Bitch is a rock song, and out-of-place as fuck. It's still a super-good song. I can't decide whether I like it or Green River's version better.
The album ends on The Bewlay Brothers. It's a very good song, and a good closer.
I wish I hadn't put this off so much.
Highlights: Life on Mars?, Changes, Queen Bitch, Kooks, Song for Bob Dylan
Lowlights: Eight-Line Poem
Best.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:32 pm

07 Apr 2012: "Let it Bleed" by The Rolling Stones
This is the second of their "four best albums". I loved the first, Beggars' Banquet, and liked the third, Sticky Fingers.
The album opens with Gimme Shelter, which is ruined by the backing vocalists. The guitar part is pretty cool, and Mick Jagger isn't bad on it, but those fucking backing chicks. Fuck them.
My problem with most of the rest of the album is that nothing stands out one way or another. It's all just "okay".
Monkey Man is really cool, though. It's a rock song and such.
The album ends on You Can't Always Get What You Want, which is the obvious highlight.
Highlights: You Can't Always Get What You Want, Monkey Man
Lowlights: Gimme Shelter
Worst.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 4:36 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Desire" by Bob Dylan
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/give-me-by-men-of-not-action.html
I am determined to find another Bob Dylan album to love.
Hurricane is an amazing song that fits Bob's voice well. The drumming is amazing, the orchestration fits super-well, and the lyrics are great. This is one of the best songs I've heard in ages. "Even to the black folks, he was just a crazy nigger; there was no doubt that he pulled the trigger"
Isis is a great story. The strings and the drums come together to create a sort of atmosphere. I can't describe it.
Mozambique has a chick doing backing vocals. She's annoying. If there's something that people need to stop doing, it's letting chicks sing with them. Luckily, it's the shortest song on the album.
One More Cup of Coffee was covered by The White Stripes. It's a shame that FUCKING BOB HAS A FUCKING CHICK SING THE CHORUSES WITH HIM. FUCK YOU. I WAS REALLY INTO IT UNTIL THEN. It really took me out of the song. Bob's voice worked perfectly for the song, and then SOME FUCKING CHICK. Fucking hell.
AND that chick is there on Oh, Sister. Fuck this.
AND THERE SHE IS ON JOEY, THE LONGEST FUCKING SONG ON THE ALBUM. FUCK YOU. FUCK. YOU. I FUCKING HATE YOU.
And there she is on Romance in Durango! Fuck this.
AND THERE SHE FUCKING IS ON WHATEVER THIS SONG IS
Thankfully, Sara is chick-free. Automatic highlight.
In the end, this album would have been one of my favourite albums ever if not for that fucking chick ruining half the songs. Fucking why. Why. Just, why. I can't even fucking fathom that decision. Bob writes great songs with amazing atmospheres, then has some fucking chick sing on them, and ruin the entire thing. One More Cup of Coffee was fucking brilliant, until the chick came in and pulled me right the fuck out of the song.
The album started so strong, so brilliantly, but then on track three, Bob introduced some fucking chick. Fuck her. I am so fucking angry right now. She ruined this entire fucking album. I hope she fucking dies.
Highlights: Hurricane, Isis, Sara
Lowlights: Mozambique, Oh Sister
Fuck that chick. It would be the best Bob Dylan album without her, but instead it's the worst. Are you fucking happy with yourself?
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:14 pm

BONUS BONUS REVIEW: "Zenyatta Mondatta" by The Police
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/wallet-forty-one-by-man-of-many-wallets.html
This is another album I can't remember well at all. It's also the only album of theirs I've rated less than a four on RYM.
The album opens with the Christmas classic, Don't Stand so Close to Me. What can I say about it that I haven't already?
Driven to Tears. The title describes how I felt about Desire. How bad can it be? Well, it's not the most interesting song ever, but it's pretty cool. Oh fuck, I take that back. That guitar solo is awesome.
I've always loved When the World is Running Down. It's very new wave-y.
Canary in a Coalmine is the fastest song on the album. It's rather fun.
Bombs Away has some really cool guitar shit happening.
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da really shows how well The Police could skirt the lines of pop, rock, and new wave. And also how eloquently Sting could say shit. "When their eloquence escapes you, their logic ties you up and rapes you". Rhyming at its absolute finest.
Behind My Camel is an instrumental. Sting hated it so much that he not only refused to play on it, but he actually buried a demo tape of it in the garden. Oh, Sting, you so crazy. It's especially odd, since this song has one of the best atmospheres of any song, ever.
It's followed by Man in a Suitcase, which doesn't work as a follower at all. It's strange, since I love the song.
Shadows in the Rain would have been better as a follow to Behind My Camel.
The album ends on The Other Way of Stopping, which is also an instrumental. It's okay.
Pretty sure I didn't actually listen to this album. Or maybe I was retarded as a kid.
Highlights: Behind My Camel, When the World is Running Down, Don't Stand so Close to Me, Canary in a Coalmine, Bombs Away, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da, Man in a Suitcase, Shadows in the Rain
Lowlights: The Other Way of Stopping
Best, maybe? Maybe it's tied with Ghost in the Machine. Not sure. I love both.
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES
Peewee

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 7:42 pm

>Gimme Shelter lowlight

help me
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 12:48 am

Over the past few months, I've realised one thing about music:
I absolutely fucking hate female background singers.
Back to top Go down
Father Adventure
GREEN, RED, YELLOW, BLUE, WHAT WILL YOU DO?!
Father Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 9:18 am

Jakeyadventure wrote:
Over the past few months, I've realised one thing about music:
I absolutely fucking hate female background singers.

Eee-evil womaaan (EVAHERAGHH WAAAHMAMNMGNAMGNA)
Back to top Go down
http://www.pain.org
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock
Dr. Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 1091

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 am

decent sometimes, atrocious others

never a great decision
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 12:00 pm

08 Apr 2012: "Master of Puppets" by Metallica
On the essentials list.
The album starts with Battery, which I've always enjoyed. It's followed by the title track, which I also really enjoy.
Welcome Home has always been orgasmic. Always.
Disposable Heroes suffers from Holy Wars syndrome, but the opening riff isn't as atrocious.
Orion is an instrumental. Yawn.
And I suppose that's it. It's a good album.
Highlights: Welcome Home, Battery, Master of Puppets
Lowlights: Orion
Best.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 2:26 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "The Moon and Antarctica" by Modest Mouse
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/hat-goes-to-circuit-city-by-hat.html
On the essentials list.
Wikipedia says that this album is largely experimental and instrumental, due to singuy's jaw being broken by PUNKS. I find this assessment to be incorrect. There are no instrumentals on this album. Maybe it's because I'm listening to the 2004 version.
I must say, though, that I really like the guy's voice. It fits the music super-well. Most of the album is super-great.
Highlights: Lifelike Weeds, The Stars are Projectors, Paper-Thin Walls, Gravity Rides Everything, Dark Centre of the Universe, Third Planet
Lowlights: Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
Best.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:52 am

09 Apr 2012: "The Village Green Preservation Society" by The Kinks
On the essentials list.
Picture Book's intro reminds me of Warning. Fucking Green Day.
Village Green reminds me of Begin Here. It's not as great as Begin Here.
The album ends on the worst track, People Take Pictures of Eachother. Shame.
But there are bonus tracks! They're good.
This album was good.
Highlights: Wicked Annabella, Do You Remember Walter?, Last of the Steam-Powered Trains
Lowlights: Phenomenal Cat, Monica, People Take Pictures of Eachother
Better than that other one.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Welcome to Sky Valley" by Kyuss
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/10/give-me-detailed-reasons-why-i-should.html
On the essentials list.
Asteroid is a really boring instrumental.
100 Degrees ends really abruptly. This isn't one of those times that that's a good thing.
Demon Cleaner, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Odyssey is 4:20 long! They're so fucking clever
This is album was really fucking boring. The riffs are good, I guess, but the way the album is presented is just boring.
Highlights:
Lowlights: All of it.
Never again.
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES
Peewee

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 pm

why.jpg
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am

10 Apr 2012: "Are We Not Men" by Devo
On the essentials list. This was Devo's first album.
I think the Rock Band 2 rerecording of Uncontrollable Urge is better than this version.
Their cover of I Can't Get No Satisfaction is weird. I still don't exactly get it.
Jocko Homo is really annoying.
Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either.
Highlights: Uncontrollable Urge
Lowlights: Jocko Homo
I probably won't get to another any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "The Book of Taliesyn" by Deep Purple
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-am-i-still-doing-this-by-this-isnt.html
Deep Purple's second album. Welp.
Wring That Neck is an instrumental, but it's actually interesting, so.
Exposition/We Can Work it Out tries to add an instrumental thing to a classic, just like the last album. It would have been better to just cover the fucking song. I really liked the cover of We Can Work it Out, but Exposition was pretty lame.
River Deep, Mountain High tries to be super-great and epic and is just boring. Sigh. It's very pretentious.
It's All Over's organ is really annoying.
This album has a lot of songs that are just too long.
Highlights: Listen Learn Read On
Lowlights: River Deep Mountain High, It's All Over
On-par with that other one.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 am

11 Apr 2012: "This Year's Model" by Elvis Costello
This album has Pump it Up and Radio, Radio.
Basically, this album is My Aim is True, but poppier and inferior. I have nothing else to say.
Highlights: Pump it Up
Lowlights: Lip Service, Little Triggers, Living in Paradise
Worse.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

BONUS REVIEW: "Nothing's Shocking" by Jane's Addiction
http://musiccouldbebetter.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-is-life-such-uninspired-pile-of.html
It's apparently a classic.
Up the Beach is the fucking definition of filler. The guitarwork towards the end isn't bad at all, though.
Ocean-Size, the first proper song, has a badass guitar solo. I can see why they'd choose this album for Rock Band.
Mountain Song has really grown on me since I first heard it in Rock Band 2 (I know, I know). Rock Band 2 doesn't do justice to the guitar solo.
Idiots Rule starts off with a huge guitar solo and some cheesy brass. It's amazing.
Thank You, Boys is the perfect closer to anything ever. It's just a shame that it isn't.
The album ends on Pig's in Zen, which, while it is a great song, isn't as good a closer as Thank You, Boys would have been. Fuck.
Overall, though, I enjoyed this album a lot.
Highlights: Thank You Boys, Idiots Rule, Ocean-Size, Mountain Song, Standing in the Shower... Thinking
Lowlights: Up the Beach
Best.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:53 pm

12 Apr 2012: "There's a Riot Goin' On" by Sly and the Family Stone
Oh, Yellow. What have you gotten me into this time?
I can't understand a word this guy's saying. Also, there's a chick singing behind him. I'm ready to give this album half a star.
THERE ARE THIRTEEN TRACKS OF THIS WHY GOD WHY
THIS IS SO BORING AND I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A THING THIS GUY'S SAYING WHY
This guy's falsetto sounds fucking horrid. I fucking hate this.
The title track is the best song on the album. It's four seconds of silence.
In conclusion: I hated this album.
Highlights: There's a Riot Goin' On
Lowlights: Everything else.
Fuck that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Reviews Supplemental - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews Supplemental
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next