ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

Best Songs O All Times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1055
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Best Songs O All Times   Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am

I've had some fun over the past while revisiting old lists I had made and various albums I liked back in the day. I find it interesting to look back on old opinions I had, and I have realized I have no collection of my opinions from the past like 3 years (outside of My Anime List, which hardly counts).

So, I've decided to compile a list of my current favorite songs of all time. I don't really expect y'all to necessarily like these songs, as I've kind of gone super into kraut and funk and jazz and soul these past years, but these are songs that over the past few years I've always considered in very very high regards. Anyway, here we go in a very loose chronological order.

"Ballade No. 1" by Frederick Chopin

Shamefully, I first heard this song in a very sappy Slice of Life anime from last year, where I cried like a baby throughout the whole song. So there's that. However, this song really stands up to repeat listens. PLUS it's a classical song I like, which is fairly rare. Takes a lot for me to get into classic music.
File under: Classical, Modernist, Piano Only, Single Tears

"I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain" by Tim Buckley

I first found Tim Buckley when someone on /mu/ said I sounded like him on one of Into This Cup. Tim Buckley is now among my favorite artists (at least in the top 10, probs), and this is my favorite song of his. Just great.
File under: Folk, Psychedelic, Surreal, 12 string acoustic

"Light Flight" by Pentangle

The first of 3 songs from 1969 (best year), it took me a while to get into Pentangle. Love the interlocking, almost funky acoustic riffs going on.
File under: Folk, Psychedelic, Acoustics (plural), Female vocalist

"Thirty Days Hath September" by Stark Reality

I found Stark Reality on a list of "weirdest albums", and truthfully they're fairly weird. They have a lead singer guy who plays vibes, plus a bassist doing paul mccartney-esque fretboard magic, plus a guitarist playing fuzzy stuff, and a straight up funk drummer. All of which are playing jazz. Unfortunately, they don't really know how to end songs, which is why this song stands out as it isn't shit. Plus the first half groove is simply astounding.
File under: Jazz, Psychedelic, Funk, Vibraphones, Non-sensical, Children's Songs

"Black Gold" by Phil Upchurch

Phil Upchurch played session guitar all over various albums on Cadet Records, which essentially just housed the jazz that they didn't think would sell. He did this solo album, which starts out with Black Gold. The whole album is reverb on reverb with strings, and it blows my mind every time. The song itself was made more famous by Rotary Connection, which was a very serious contender for this list.
File under: Jazz, Funk, Layers on Layers, Guitar, Strings, 420

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Diana Ross

This version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough (made famous by marvin gaye, ofc) is pretty blasphemous to the original. Taking the short melody based song and turning it into this 6+ minute sprawling story song is an odd move, but it has the chance to take a glorious jazz and soul approach to the song. Plus strings. Plus that amazing build to the Outro. I can't say enough about this song, play it at my funeral pls
File under: Soul, Female Vocals, Cheesy Spoken Vocals, Gospel?

"Save The Children" by Marvin Gaye

Really, the whole first side of What's Going On is masterpiece material (second side....not so much). But this song is basically the middle and the power hitter of side A. This is one of the more ambitious songs on the album, given the chords are all over the place. The hilarious SAVE THE BABIES part near the end is a great addition too.
File under: Soul, Gospel, Jazzy, Infant Safety

"The Letter [Live]" by Joe Cocker

I have the magical tie in to this song in that I first heard it on my honeymoon, but this song has everything. Riffs, Choirs, Horns, Solos, Percussion + Vocal breakdowns, and a cover with wild variation.
File under: ROCK, honky tonk piano, blues, Sax Solos, like 30 people in the band or some shit

"Part Time Love" by Isaac Hayes

The ultimate jam. Most of the song is just 2 chords over and over (Isaac Hayes' best feature is endless repetition), but there are so many layers on this thing. From wah guitar to massive string suites, the song covers all my bases for a jam.
File under: Soul, Funk, Wah Wah, Essential "playing along with" song

"Wars of Armageddon" by Funkadelic

The final song on Maggot Brain, I think this is the best song for drumming I can think of. The drumming is the only constant in this song as instruments are coming in and out, strange sound samples are thrown in (probably just for laughs), all while miraculously being fairly cohesive. George Clinton is a genious, and this song proves it.
File under: Drum grooves, Psychedelic, Funk, How, What, Why

"The Great Curve" by Talking Heads

Ah, nothing like jumping ahead 8 years to the 80s (well, 1980 exactly). If I had to describe this song in one word, it would be "groove". It's got the funk, it's got layers, and despite the repetition, there's always something new to discover with it. The vocal layers are a great addition too.
File under: Funk, Tribal, Layers, Eno, The World As A Pregnant Woman, Cool

"~" by Boredoms

I don't really know how to describe this song. It's from the Japanese psych/noise/kraut band Boredoms, released in the great year of 1999. It's got glitchy electronics, so many drum rhythms, wicked acoustic work, all instrumental. I describe this song has both Heaven & Hell in a song. Like, it's peaceful, but all the electronics and drums are over the top crazy. Shame the rest of the album is fairly tame in comparison.
File under: Kraut, Electronics, Major and Minor, Psychedelic to the core, kawaii

Honorable Mentions:
"Gypsy Woman" by Tim Buckley
"The Creator Has a Master Plan" by Pharoah Sanders
"Spanish Key" by Miles Davis
"Time" & "Stay" by David Bowie
"Old Friends/Bookends Theme" by Simon & Garfunkel
"Burning of the Midnight Lamp" by J. Hendrix & The Experience
"Amboss" by Ash Ra Tempel
"Battle of the Locusts/Do It" by Aphrodite's Child
"Il Banchetto" by Premiata Forneria Marconi

I went at this very stream of conciousness-like, and it ended with 12 songs only one of which is classical and only two are explicitly jazz (no comment on the 10 Honorable Mentions, there are a lot of good songs in the world!!). I'm pretty happy about this list. I think if I had shown this list to myself 10 years ago, just before GHG, I wouldn't have believed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7683
Favourite Band : Nirvana
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Songs O All Times   Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 am

Unfortunately, they don't really know how to end songs, which is why this song stands out as it isn't shit.

Like, this is legit something I wish I'd written myself.

also every single description you gave sounds like something i'd absolutely hate and everything i actually tried to listen to confirms this
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES

Male
Number of posts : 368
Favourite Band : ICP!!! jugallos fo life im down wit da clown
Balls : Your face!
Jakey : not my face!
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Songs O All Times   Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Some cool stuff here I've never heard before, thanks for the recs Mr. Lemon