ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

small times for formidable people

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1055
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 pm

oh wow i haven't done a The Beatles album this month

Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles (1967)
Pretty solid album. Slowly creeping into my favorite beatles album position.
Title Track is kind of bland, but not too bland.
Fool on the Hill has some nice instruments, but also a bit on the bland side.
Flying is pretty nice, way to do that instrumental stuff beatles
Blue Jay Way is definitely my least favorite on the album.
Your Mother Should Know is kind of strange. I like it somedays better than others.
I Am The Walrus is pretty neat, the effects are nice and the strings mmmm
Hello Goodbye has unfortunately entered "old" status for me :'(
Strawberry Fields Forever gets better with every listen. Really, I love this song
Penny Lane is quite wow as well. that not-instrument solo mmm
Baby You're A Rich Man has some super nice keyboard sounds and overall just grooves. Well done. it feels good to be one of the beautiful people santa
All You Need Is Love is certainly in my top 10 beatles songs. the song itself is just okay, but the use of strings and not-instruments and saxes is stellar. The outro on the song gives me goosebumps so hard.
so yeah

Highlights: I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever, Baby You're A Rich Man, All You Need Is Love, Flying
Lowlights: Blue Jay Way, Your Mother Should Know, Magical Mystery Tour
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme by Simon & Garfunkel (1966)
Nice band, nice balls (nice hair as well )
Starts with one of their more infamous songs, Scarborough Fair. Nice harmonies and a neat progression, but it's certainly not their best work.
Patterns is quite good.
Cloudy is pretty poppy, not bad indeed. Well done.
Homeward Bound is super catchy. The harmonies could be better, but it's certainly a highlight of the album. It sounds like it could almost fit in on Bridge Over Troubled Water, but it's a little naive for that Wink
Hmm, that acoustic lick is pretty annoying. Reminds me of that one song on led zeppelin iii can't recall it right now but it's certainly kind of lame. big bright green not-pleasure machine
The 59th Street Bridge Song is kind of interesting. It's way too slow for what I think they're trying to portray, but I can't help but not still like it.
The Dangling Conversation is one of those beautiful but sad songs that S&G are so good at writing. How could I not give it a highlight oh, cry me a river
Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall, what a song title. This song almost sounds country like, I think due to the drums why drums why still not bad
oh wow a political commentary song. Nice fuzz bass way to use those pop icons from the 60s so hard sir um i think it's simon could be wrong though. Hmm, I think it's making fun of dylan actually. that bad harmonica playing is pretty funny mmm
For Emily is another one of those beautiful songs, but it's not nearly as good as that other one I don't think. However, there's a part where both harmony lines converge on one note for "I LOVE YOU" which is pretty powerful.
A Poem on the Underground Wall is kind of weird. Nice acoustic work. I bet if I listened to lyrics more this album would be much better.
Oh wow, S&G singing Silent Night!? rock on
Decent album, but certainly more lacklustre than their albums to come.

Highlights: Homeward Bound, Patterns, The Dangling Conversation, A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into ...), 7 O'Clock News/Silent News
Lowlights: The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine, Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:33 am

i don't know if this counts anymore so we'll make it QUICK

Fresh Cream by Cream (1966)
Not sure what mangled version of this album I have, but it starts with the two best songs ever
Sleepy Time Time is pretty fun to sing along with. the use of "time time" in the lyrics is a bit obnoxious, but easily overlooked Wink
Dreaming is GREAT
Sweet Wine is not bad
Cat's Squirrel has got some neat harmonica work, and a neat riff. Interesting as far as instrumentals go.
Four Until Late doesn't really sound Cream-like at all. not necessarily a bad thing.
Rollin' and Tumblin' is a pretty amazing, uptempo, blues song with more strong harmonica playing. Shame the singing is so infrequent and the song goes on for way too long.
I'm So Glad hmm Deep Purple covered this song on one of their albums I think it was debut but could have been book of taliesyn don't judge me This version is kind of boring, not a super fan but it's definitely listenable.
Toad is just a Drum Solo. Why :'(
I think the thing about this album that makes it unique is that it sounds quite ahead of its time. The sound they create here will be imitated far into the rest of the 60s, and it is certainly different from that standard pop of bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Well done, Cream.

Highlights: I Feel Free, N.S.U., Sleepy Time Time, Dreaming, Sweet Wine
Lowlights: Rollin' and Tumblin', Toad, I'm So Glad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:29 am

Third Stage by Boston (1986)
The thing I find funny about this album is, in the liner notes, they say "THERE ARE NO SYNTHESIZERS ON THIS ALBUM" about fifty times.
Normally, people (myself included) would consider this a lacklustre feat. However, think of this in the context of the time.
An album from the 80s without synthesizers. Yes, now we have successfully seen how important this claim really is. Well done, Sir Scholz and the Boston Crew.
Starts with the ever popular ballad, Amanda. So good.
We're Ready is pretty alright, until the guitar line into the solo sections. Seriously, I get goosebumps every time. EVERY TIME.
I can easily see how people consider The Launch filler. As far as ambient organ and HEAVY powerchords go, it's certainly alright. Still gets a lowlight
Cool the Engines mmm glorious song, and the main reason I got the album in the first place.
My Destination closes out the first side of the album well by using the same progression and pretty much same everything as Amanda.
A New World is pretty just alright, I guess it works well as an intro to the amazing To Be A Man. Why didn't they just combine them?
I Think I Like It is kind of, well, out of place I guess. The album has this whole space-y feel to it, and then this standard, fairly cliche tune with shredding comes out of nowhere. It's not a bad song I suppose, but it's uniqueness is kind of offputting.
Cant'cha Say mmm what a great song, and then it becomes an amazing ballad by the end. how heavenly
Hollyann, another pretty good ballad, but the other ballads are certainly better. However, that not-synth solo mmmm the highs are pretty alright too.
So yeah, anyone that likes power ballads and high reverb on every instrument and harmonies and songs that sound like they could have been made in the 80s but you can only tell because of the snare sound then you'd love this album like your first born son.

Highlights: Amanda, Cool the Engines, We're Ready, To Be A Man, Cant'cha Say (You Believe In Me): Still In Love
Lowlights: The Launch, A New World, I Think I Like It
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin (1973)
Hmm, after a few listens, I thought this was my fave led zeppelin album. However, the more and more I listen, the more I think that honor belongs to either LZIII or the debut (hmm)
but yeah, this album is still pretty great ROFL
Starts with The Song Remains the Same, which has kind of a Rush feel to it. I mean, this came out before Rush were a thing, so whatever but still. Pretty nice intro, the actual song is kind of just alright. Plant man sounds kind of strange on this tune.
The Rain Song mmm this was the song that influenced me to get this album. I could see people hating this song, but I love it to death. That descending chord thingy and the mellotron strings mmmmmmmmmmm
Over the Hills and Far away is a pretty standard LZ tune, kind of sounds like it could have been on the third album. Nothing spectacular, but certainly still great.
The Crunge mmm pretty funny tune. I guess it's influenced by james brown, so go him. The complex style of the song is pretty nice eh (smirk2)
Dancing Days is probably the worst Led Zeppelin tune after Kashmir. I can't sit through it
D'yer Mak'er is lovely. I don't really understand why radios like to abuse this song on air all the time, but it's still nice.
No Quarter hmmm this tune is certainly a grower. A Little on the long side, but the warbly organ work and piano stuff makes it sound awfully pink floyd-y. Kind of out of place, but good on its own.
The Ocean wow, what a closing tune. Nice riff sir page. The change up at the end is perfectly placed as, just before it happens you're ready for the song to be over and then WOW out of nowhere wow

Highlights: The Rain Song, The Crunge, The Song Remains the Same, The Ocean
Lowlights: Dancing Days
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Tomorrow by Tomorrow (1968)
Features the well known guitarist for Yes. Also, supposedly has a song that inspired Lennon to write Revolution (hmm)
Starts with a pretty standard psychedelic tune, My White Bicycle. Pretty good one, reminds me a lot of early Pink Floyd, but with more prominent guitar work.
Colonel Brown is pretty alright. Nothing too special, got some neat background guitar licks.
go sitar sounding stuff go.
more pretty good stuff
wow stuff
go tomorrow go
hmm not bad
baroque pop wow
beatles cover huh
yeah i'm gonna stop

Highlights: Auntie Mary's Dress Shop, My White Bicycle,
Lowlights: Strawberry Fields Forever, Colonel Brown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7683
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:40 am

NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

give me the feel

Out of the Blue by Electric Light Orchestra (1977)
The Amazing Double Album by Jeff Lynne and friends. I would consider this album the epitome of ELO.
And with that honour it also gets my nomination for best ELO album. Hooray.
The back story to the album is that Jeff Lynne had writers block so he went to switzerland and woke up one morning with inspiration enough to write the entire album in like 4 days.
To Be Honest, it does sound like he was forced to come up with song progressions to 17 songs rather quickly, as there seems to be some repetition.
However!
I think he does this very well, despite the whole all-of-the-songs-being-pretty-much-the-same-length-with-the-same-structure-and-relatively-similar-progressions thing.
Because it's so long, let's just hit the highlights EH?
My favourite song on the whole thing is Wild West Hero, which closes the whole thing (barring bonus tracks Wink ) It ends with one of the best rounding progressions ever as the culmination of some of the best musical-building ever.
Other favourites of mine include the duo instrumental/great tune Believe Me Now/Steppin' Out. Believe Me Now is easily second best on the album, and it flows well into believe me now. These two songs also utilize the Vocoder, which is quite prominent throughout the album. I wonder what other bands use vocoder? I just kind of automatically connect it with ELO hmmmmm
I also love Across the Border for the spanish feel, Turn to Stone for the super fast section, Jungle for its humour and lightheartedness, and Mr. Blue Sky just 'cos
Oh as an aside, side three of the album is a suite about rainy days or something, ending with mr. blue sky. It's kind of weird and I have no idea how the songs are related. One of the four songs (Summer and Lightning) is pretty lame for the first half, and then gets orgasmic. It ALMOST gets a lowlight spot, but not quite
speaking of Lowlights hmm
Well Starlight probably gets lowest spot, as its slow and has some of the weirdest synth stuff.
Speaking of weird synth stuff, The Whale is an instrumental with tons of strange keyboard stuff that is decent. Shame decent just doesn't cut it here, buster
Sweet Is The Night is probably the definition of filler on this album. It does nothing for the album, and is kind of a waste of song, which is especially prominent on a 17 track album.
If you like pretty standard synthy and stringy pop music, this is a must have. Don't let other ELO albums *cough* Face the Music *cough* deter you from this one

Highlights: Turn to Stone, Across the Border, Wild West Hero, Jungle, Mr. Blue Sky, Believe Me Now/Steppin' Out
Lowlights: Sweet Is The Night, The Whale, Starlight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

S.F. Sorrow by The Pretty Things (1968)
Considered to be the second Rock Opera/Concept album ever wow
The singerman sounds quite good, and they have a real fun instrumentation on their songs.
The concept itself is kind of lost in the lyrics, as supposedly it's necessary to read the liner notes to understand what's going on.
According to Wikipedia, it's about a kid who has a fun childhood that's cut short when he needs to get a job and then goes to war and suddenly he is a dark soul indeed. Why are all of the rock operas about children having their lives ruined :'(
First song is super catchy. Lead man is born wow
Second song has some real neat sitar playing
Third song, so upbeat and fun
Fourth song has flute and I think it's about him joining the war hmm
Balloon Burning, what a song name. Kind of an unsettling song. Oh, this is about his fiancee coming to visit him but she was riding on the hindenburg and died. The end of the tune features some of the heaviest riffin' ever. Sounds super out of place for '68. Well done THE PRETTY THINGS This album is super good so far.
According to the story, now that sir Sorrow is all alone, he now searches inside himself to his inner conciousness and meets a voodoo deity or something. Must be a psychedelic album, eh? But wow, what a song. The choruses sound kind of beatles-ish somehow. must be the DRUMS
Oh wow, now we get a trippy scene. Rest your head on that rainbow so hard, sir Sorrow.
Let us take the time to check out this amazing quote from wikipedia: "Sorrow thinks he is flying toward the moon, which would have been lovely as he always had a fascination with it, but instead he sees that it is instead his own face."
I See You is incredible. While on this strange trippy thing, he looks into mirrors and sees horrific scenes from his life. How unfortunate
Well Of Destiny tries too hard to be weird. Stop it
Trust is another fantastic tune. during the tune, he realizes no one is to be trusted so he must seclude himself from the world. hooray
and suddenly, Geddy Lee is on vocals. where did they get this singerman. wow those organ effects and a solo section? oh wow. They're going the heavy route like on Balloon Burning again hooray
The final song is where Dr. Sorrow decides he is the loneliest person on the planet. and it's an acoustic ballad. Kind of a lacklustre ending, but a fantastic album in general.

Highlights: Balloon Burning, S.F. Sorrow Is Born, Private Sorrow, Baron Saturday, I See You
Lowlights: Bracelet of Fingers, Well Of Destiny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Chicago Transit Authority by Chicago (Transit Authority) (1969)
Shortly after this album was released, CTA shortened their name to Chicago. a smart move if you ask me
This album is one of three albums I consider the perfect fusion of Jazz and Rock. The other two being by Blood Sweat & Tears and Lighthouse
Starts with Introductions, featuring their worst singer on lead. However, he is their best guitarist so that's something Wink Really neat, super progressively-jazzy tune.
Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is? starts with a super great piano solo, and then devolves into rather cheesy pop. The cheesiness is epitomized by the spoken vocals of the third verse
Beginnings is next. It is, like, great and stuff. Pretty great acoustic ballady type thing and has neat harmonies and then it suddenly ends on a minute of everyone using weird percussive instruments.
Speaking of ballads, Questions 67 and 68 is about the most perfect ballad ever written. It sounds rather ahead of its time for '69. Way to go.
Listen is kind of strange. the sax riffs at the beginning get old. It's neither an awful or great tune.
Poem 58 huh, one of the longer songs on the double album. It's fairly erratic soloing and strange progression changes, one after another, until there's actually some singing near the end. It definitely has some of the better soloing on the album.
Free Form Guitar literally just strange noises for 6 minutes. it leaves more questions than answers
South California Purples is great, but in the strangest way. Kind of tired progression, and i'm pretty sure all the lyrics are recycled from old blues tunes. In reality, it's about the only blues song on the album, so we'll let them have their moment.
I'm a Man, easily the best song on the album in my eyes. Cover of a Davis Spencer Group tune, done quite a bit better. They do it strangely, switching vocal duties on every verse and having no horns at all until the very last verse and chorus. The relatively subtle build throughout the entire song and the greatness of the song itself is fantastic. yep
Prologue/Someday is pretty nice. Starts with some guy chanting to a group of humans and then they start chanting something and then the drums come in in time to the chanting. the progression is rather strange, but over time I have come to love it.
Liberation is billed as being great because it was done all in one take and it has different sections! and has complex soloing! and is 14 minutes long! also there's this one part that is super psychedelic and strange and it kind of catches you off guard. also, it's instrumental aside from guitarsingerman shouting "ohhhhhh" at around the 10 minute mark.

Highlights: Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68, I'm a Man, Prologue/Someday, Introductions
Lowlights: Free Form Guitar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 pm

My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello (1977)
what a nice fellow
Starts with a pretty neat tune. Pretty nice progression and all.
Miracle Man's dueling guitar sounds is kind of strange. the distorted channel is not my fave, but the clear channel mmm. Not sure I really like sir costello's voice though
No Dancing is pretty boring until the chords at the end of the chorus and then your nerve endings explode in joy. I didn't know it was possible. Why does such a lame song have to have one of the better moments in music ever
Oh wow, Blame It On Cain has some neat keyboard staccato backing stuff. The song itself is actually pretty nice. and there's dueling solos going on pretty much the whole song.
Wow, Alison. Way to have a strange progression that sounds super neat. Shame Costello's voice doesn't really fit the tune. Takes about 30 seconds too long to end the song.
Sneaky Feelings again uses some neat keyboard work. I was kind of afraid that this album would all start sounding the same, but they tend to change things up enough that each song is unique
Red Shoes is pretty un-cool. However, it does have harmonies, so there's that. Not a real fan. Also, this album doesn't really sound like it was made in the 70s. Its pretty strange, it's so hard to place where it sounds like its from. Must be mid-90s.
Less Than Zero is pretty normal. Nothing too special.
Mystery Dance wow. I think this song is kind of what I expected what this album to sound like going into it. Super Uptempo, and super nice.
Pay It Back had some nice guitar work. Not much else of note in the song
I'm Not Angry has an angry sounding riff and chord progression and some of the grooviest keyboard sounds in it. I think this is the best song on the album
Waiting For The End Of The World hmm hope it's a nice ending to the album. nope, kind of a lacklustre ending.
Not a real fan of the style, but it's certainly not a bad album. Well Done.

Highlights: Welcome to the Working Week, Blame It On Cain, Mystery Dance, I'm Not Angry
Lowlights: (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Let's do a Deep Purple album, eh

Deep Purple by Deep Purple (1969)
this is pretty much their album that doesn't exist. but it has the best history of any deep purple album!!
Certainly no bad songs on this one. I don't really feel like commenting on all of them SO I WON'T
Despite how pretentious it is, I think April is my favorite on the album. Also their Lalena cover is nice.
Worst song is probably blind, even though I think it might be one of Evans' better performances.
In the bonus tracks is a better mix of Bird Has Flown than the album version, so if you switch them out it's like wow and wow
Also Fault Line/The Painter is magical. that is all.

Highlights: Fault Line/The Painter, April, Lalena, Why Didn't Rosemary?
Lowlights: Blind, Bird Has Flown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Innervisions by Stevie Wonder (1973)
Stevie decided to do a concept-ish album about his views on political and social stuff.
And then he went and nearly died in a car accident (that's what you get for driving while blind, man)
Tons of neat Keyboard effects going on here. I would imagine this was ahead of its time, at the time.
holy wow, this was his 16th album. what in the world
Starts with Too High, which I think is about a getting high while watching tv. I really liked it.
Second tune is rather dissonant and kind of beautiful. BUT ONLY KIND OF Could have been better.
Living for the City tells a pretty nice story about black people growing up in the fields and then moving to the cities Kind of long and drawn out, but it serves its purpose well. Wasn't a real fan of the progression or the weird synthy interludes between choruses and verses, but everything else is nice. The key to this song is that every part was done by sir wonder. way to go
Golden Lady is my favorite song so far. It sounds like a groovier version of any song off of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On?. also, it ends with like 7 key changes.
Higher Ground mmmm I vastly prefer this version to the well known RHCP version. just throwin' that out there. so many layers of synth
Jesus Children of America is a pretty unremarkable song. Pretty groovy, but that's true of pretty much every song here. I think the secret to this song is the lyrics but I cba to look them up Wink oops I change my mind the layered vocals here are pretty incredible.
Oh wow, an actual piano AND a ballad. a rather haunting tune, far and away the best solo vocal performance so far. one of the panned synth tracks is kind of obnoxious and ruining the moment If i was in the right moment, I could see this song giving me goosebumps.
Oh wow, a latin tune It better not be super cheesy. It's pretty alright, and then I think it hits the second chorus. Those double panned relative-highs mmmmm ow8 wikipedia says they are just different recordings and not double panned wow. Luckily, the progression isn't just that super stereotypical latin progression the whole time, otherwise this would nearly be a lowlight Well done being original sir wonder
Final tune time. Nothing spectacular. Pretty groovy part where he imitates a large black man I think . There's two minutes left and they've repeated the chorus for ages. This reminds me of a mix of You Can't Always Get What You Want by the rolling stones and Everything's Alright, pretty groovy progression that repeats for hours at the end. those cadenza vocals wow. Still got old at about the 2 minute mark.
Anyway, this album is definitely Motown. If anyone wanted to get into albums from Motown, this would probably be a good starting point. The Temptations would probably be a good next point Wink

Highlights: Golden Lady, Higher Ground, All in Love is Fair, Too High
Lowlights: Visions, Living for the City, He's Misstra Know It All
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Really? I really did not enjoy Too High. Worst on the album for me.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 pm

it certainly wasn't the best, but it didn't stand out enough to be the worst.

I will agree in that it shouldn't have opened the album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane (1968)
wow their fourth album I believe. It follows a bit more of the pop route, like Surrealistic Pillow, but there are definitely moments where it devolves into the experimental stuff like on After Bathing at Baxter's. Not as good as surrealistic pillow, but not by too much.
Starts with a song about their drummer turning 30. Pretty good.
Second tune is pretty easy going, features kind-of out of tune singerman. Nothing too spectacular.
Third song is called Triad. It was written by David Crosby who would later join Crosby Stills & Nash, and this song is probably the best Jefferson Airplane song ever written. I wish I knew why I love it so much as it's just lowkey acoustic work with grace slick singing about free love. Why
Star Track has got some neat guitar work. Overall, just an alright song.
Share a Little Joke is pretty nice. I think it took me until just now to realize the entire album is rather slow. Quite the mellow album, even when they're jamming pretty hard. also, this song has out of tune singerman singing quite well.
Chushingura is ambient noise and kind of a waste of a song.
If You Feel is the first kind of upbeat tune and it has good-singerman on it along with harmonies, with are kind of rare here.
The title track is pretty lame. Rather obnoxious progression, one neat section in the middle, but nothing spectacular.
Ice Cream Phoenix has some of the neatest drumming, rather tribal. also has harmonies and a nice progression and a nice catchy part. Well done.
Greasy Heart sounds like it came straight from Surrealistic Pillow, in the whole poppy psychedelic stuff with strange guitar work over top. Also, rather uptempo which is another welcome change.
Ends with House at Pooneil Corners which is probably the worst song on the album. Super unsettling and horrifying sounding. Impossible to sit through. Sounds like the embodiment of a bad trip.

Highlights: Triad, Lather, Share a Little Joke, If You Feel, Ice Cream Phoenix, Greasy Heart
Lowlights: Chushingura, Crown of Creation, House at Pooneil Corners
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 pm

The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie (1970)
Post space oddity and pre-ziggy. I will be judging this heavily with Hunky Dory, the only other album to fit these criteria
Starts with an 8 minute long song. Opens the whole album with super feedback, which says to me this is going to be HEAVIER than hunky dory, which is strange since this came out before The riff and bass lickin' is quite uncharacteristically bowie. and this guitar solo is pretty wow. Full of surprises, this album is already. I really like this whole distorted licks matched up with acoustic strummin' sounds great that's enough on this song even though we're only 4 minutes into it ending the song with timpani wow
Off to a good start, let's see how song two fares neatly panned acoustic intro. oh wow those drums in the second verse wowowowowow what a surprisingly hard rocking album.
Black Country Rock is pretty nice. Again, the bass seems to be the breakout star of this album.
Wow, After All features every aspect of bowie's voice, from a soft cooing melody line to obnoxiously nasally falsetto backing vocals. Some neat synthy effects here as well, makes it feel kind of space-y.
Running Gun Blues is kind of told from some perspective so I think he's kind of over doing his voice in acting here, but sir bowie is kind of annoying here. Gets better over time, but definitely the worst one so far.
More story telling, this time about some super computer. the synthy effects work PERFECTLY here. and Bowie's voice sounds so resonant here, it's kind of strange. a good strange there are parts with one of bowie's best progressions ever in it. hooray sounds way ahead of its time.
Wikipedia says She Shook Me Cold is "an explanation of a heterosexual encounter" (hehe) glad those were rare enough that we needed to be told what they're like. This song is amazing, not only for its straightforward lyrics and but also for sounding more paranoid-era Black Sabbath than Black Sabbath ever could Wink
And now we're at the title track. and what a track it was. the cheesy chapel-organ sound they have in the background is so ridiculous it's almost not It's hard to not listen to it without comparing it to nirvana or bran & friends versions, but this version is certainly nice. Strangely, they have the drumset panned to one ear and the spanish percussion to the other.
Final song time. another story time hooray. In comparison to the rest of the album, kind of a lacklustre song. Nice solos, nice oohs and aah, couldn't match the power of the rest of the album. TRY AGAIN NEXT TIME
So yeah, this album is so not-bowie sounding it's pretty crazy. Regardless, I love it. It's more along the lines of hard rock than the kind of glam stuff that Bowie's best known for. it's hard to believe he goes so mellow and acoustic on the next album, Hunky Dory. just a bundle of surprises.

Highlights: The Width of a Circle, All The Madman, Saviour Machine, She Shook Me Cold
Lowlights: Running Gun Blues, The Supermen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:56 pm

A Night At The Opera by Queen (1975)
Wow, what an album.
iirc, first listen of this album was underwhelming, but it got better with every listen. I think Sheer Heart Attack was the same way.
Starts with a great tune. Easily one of the best on the album.
The gimmicky-but-great tune that follows is also fantastic, but I could see people not liking it.
I'm In Love With My Car is kind of weird. At first I didn't think it matched the album's style at all, but then I remembered that this album doesn't have a style and that anything goes still, probably my least favorite on the album (as long as we don't count God Save The Queen Wink )
You're My Best Friend, pretty nice tune. Nice use of wurlitzer piano as well good thing supertramp got one and used it on every song ever or else I might have tired of not-hearing it
'39 mmmm there was a time when I assraped this song to bits, glad that's over now so I can judge it from a balanced perspective so yeah nice tune
Sweet Lady is a good exploration into ROCK although it's kind of boring until the end but wow that ending
mmm I like seaside rendezvous more than I probably should. All the strange effects, the whole old-timey thing, so great
The Prophet's Song, wow. I used to like this more than I do now, the middle section used to give me goosebumps but I think it goes on too long now. Nice composition sir May
Love of My Life mmm one of the better love songs ever written. No live version would ever sound as good as this harp-heavy studio version mmm
Good Company is a bit cheesy, especially in the case of this very over-the-top album. It's great, but I think it'll have to get a lowlight if only for it's inclusion.
BoRhap wow what a tune not much to say
and that's the end right? no ridiculously lame tune to close it out right? good.

Highlights: Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to..), Bohemian Rhapsody, Seaside Rendezvous, '39, Love of My Life
Lowlights: God Save The Queen, I'm In Love With My Car, Good Company
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am

Lust for Life by Iggy Pop (1977)
it appears that david bowie helped write like 75% of this album.
It's like I'm really listening to Jet. Like, seriously. I feel like I've heard this song before, it kind of drags on a bit.
Sixteen has one of the more obnoxious riffs i've ever heard, and it never ends
Hmm, Some Weird Sin clearly has bowie on backing vocals wow, what a solo
The Passenger would be alright if not for bowie's annoying backing vocals on the "chorus." This one also drags on so hard.
with such a promising opening, let's hope Tonight is good It starts big, and then goes into this kind of 80s sounding thing. This is not what I imagine Iggy Pop to enjoy doing.
Success has rather annoying backing vocals again, but it has to get a highlight for at least trying to sound good Wink it's also got a neat sounding solo, even if it only lasts for like 4 bars :'( still, another tune that lasts way longer than it oughta
Turn Blue is pretty funny. Cheesy Spoken vocals abound and I think it's a prayer about how he wants to get in some girl's pants. changed my mind, I don't know if I can stand this whole song. 7 minutes why
Neighborhood Threat is....decent. oh any other album, it would probably get a lowlight, but on this album........
Fall In Love With Me actually sounds like it could be alright but let's not get our hopes up so quickly. I mean it's pretty normal sounding and is actually listenable, but it's just so long. it's like if you took one section of Station to Station the song and put it on repeat for 6.5 minutes.
One of the worst things i've listened to Wink

Highlights: Some Weird Sin, Success, Lust for Life
Lowlights: Sixteen, Turn Blue, pretty much the whole album
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm

oh right

Axis: Bold As Love by The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)
I don't really feel like doing this right now, so we'll do the short short version
NICE ALBUM
GREAT TUNES
I LIKED SPANISH CASTLE MAGIC
OH AND THAT ONE OTHER TUNE
NICE CHORUS
LOWLIGHTS? ARE THERE ANY?
HOW ABOUT THAT ONE SONG THAT ISN'T SUNG BY THE GLORIOUS J. HENDRIX JR.
ok

Highlights: If 6 Was 9, One Rainy Wish, Spanish Castle Magic, Little Miss Lover
Lowlights: She's So Fine, You Got Me Floatin'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:19 pm

It's been a busy day okay!!

Beggars Banquet by The Rolling Stones (1968)
what a nice bathroom stall
starts with the fantastic tune Sympathy for the Devil. first time I ever listened to this song was back in like '06 and I HATED it. I mean it went on forever!! and the guy laughs at jesus dying!! however I have since grown up and can see the grooviness and greatness in said tune.
No Expectations is surprisingly beautiful. the slide work reminds me so much of a song off of the cowboy bebop soundtrack. I love it.
Dear Doctor is kind of annoying. It might actually be good, but not after the previous two songs Wink I guess it works for a bluesy tune
oh wait, this is REAL blues Wink decent tune
I just skipped like half the album while doing other things. nothing stood out as bad. I think this album is quite good.
Prodigal Son has some nice acoustic riffin'. I kind of wish I had the ability to play guitar like that.
I'm not sure stray cat blues is as good as you guys say
also that tremolo riffin' on factory girl mmm
Salt of the Earth is a pretty decent ending. Singing is a bit lacklustre and then the gospel people come in wow and the piano riffin' outro wow
this album was surprisingly acoustic. I guess it's a good stepping stone into albums like Let It Bleed where there is a ridiculous amount of stereotypical country tunes.

Highlights: Sympathy for the Devil, No Expectations, Prodigal Son, Factory Girl, Salt of the Earth
Lowlights: Dear Doctor, Street Fighting Man

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 am

Street Fighting Man as a lowlight?! Are you high
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:45 am

if I was I might have found it a highlight Wink

in all honesty, there weren't any relatively bad songs aside from dear doctor. that was just me scrounging for the song that was second worst
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Crime of the Century by Supertramp (1974)
My first supertramp album
Supposedly a concept album, I don't really get it. If someone else does, feel free to enlighten me Wink
starts with a pretty decent song about being a school kid mmmm nice solo section in the middle.
Best song on the album follows. What a groovefest.
followed by a song with one of my favorite chorus progressions ever. I don't know why I love it so much, but I do
Asylum is alright. Kind of funny, pretty strange, pretty good.
Dreamer is one of their more well known songs. Pretty alright, and one of unorthodox singerman's better performances. also dat wurlitzer mmmm
Rudy is a story song, but I don't really get the story. I think it's about a guy who is riding a train. and gets off sporadically. huh regardless, a nice tune with nice orchestration
The last two songs are the only real lowlights of the album. If Everyone Was Listening is pretty boring, about a stage show or something. Very similar to Great Gig in the Sky, but not saved by shrieking.
final song is unbearable. the dissonance
but still, a nice album I suppose.

Highlights: Bloody Well Right, Dreamer, Hide In Your Shell, School, Rudy
Lowlights: If Everyone Was Listening, Crime of the Century
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:05 am

Buffalo Springfield Again by Buffalo Springfield (1967)
I had to settle when I couldn't find any other BS albums.
"but bran" i can hear you all saying "this band only has one song and it's only just okay and that one song isn't even on this album"
This is a gamble, friends. Stay put and listen to me. Stephen Stills can do no wrong Wink
so here we go
starts with a pretty decent song I suppose.
second song is a bit country sounding for me. Not the good kind of folk, if you catch my drift.
suddenly! distorted guitar! and then piano licks. Rather jazzy tune here, certainly not bad.
Expecting to Fly is kind of an ambient-ish tune with some violins and such. Kind of unremarkable though.
Bluebird is a pretty nice psych-pop tune. nice acoustic work in conjunction with some distorted licks. really, the best tune so far probably. has a pretty groovy banjo section too.
Nevermind, Hung Upside Down gets best song so far. Pretty groovy stuff here, and a nice solo to boot
Good Time Boy has horns, and the singerman makes it sound like a stereotypical 60s Motown tune.
Rock & Roll Woman supposedly has future-bandmate David Crosby co-writing it and singing backing vocals. Not a bad tune, not spectacular though.
last song has Neil Young on vocals, but he sounds surprisingly alright for a 6 minute tune, it's pretty great.
I wasn't really sure what to expect coming into it. The album was about everything I expected it to be, not too bad but not super great either. A decent folk album from the 60s with brief forays into psychedelia.

Highlights: Everydays, Bluebird, Hung Upside Down, Broken Arrow
Lowlights: A Child's Claim to Fame, Expecting to Fly
Back to top Go down
View user profile

small times for formidable people
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next