ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

small times for formidable people

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1054
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Behold & See by Ultimate Spinach (1968)
probably about the most unknown hippie band ever. Nothing much to see here.
some guy put this album as the best psychedelic album ever so i thought about trying it.
Nice female/male vocal mix. neither one of them really overdoes it, unlike the jefferson airplane vocalists or the united states of america vocalists or the it's a beautiful day vocalists.
the songs aren't much out of the ordinary, poppy songs with catchy melodies about taking drugs and opening your mind and stuff with great instrument soundscapes. Really, this album is about the perfectly stereotypical album of the time period. If anything, the songs are longer and jammier, possibly opening the pathway for jam bands later???? (probably not)
It's not really worth talking about each song
Oh, but the song What You're Thinking Of is pretty average until it hits the solo section and suddenly it's jazz out the yazoo!! it changes time signatures and everything.
Also, there's really no bad songs on this thing, Mind Flowers is just the same progression for ages and gets tedious since it's 8 minutes long.

Highlights: Where You're At, What You're Thinking Of, Genesis of Beauty (In Four Parts)
Lowlights: Mind Flowers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 am

Self-Titled by Bran & Friends (2011)
This album was crafted from the hands that brought you such classics as
Starts with a pretty groovy tune, endless soloing and more soloing with hawhaws and what not pretty great singing could be better but certainly a highlight
The Mate Who hmm well the vocals have improved slightly and the guitar sounds so much cleaner here it's almost offputting but not quite pretty great that outro huh
Black Eifi sounds a bit primitive but those harmonies mmmm the soloing is so chaotic i don't know that I like it that ending is pretentious to the core
Wow, this man surely knows his harmonies Wink I would be safe in his peewee anyday
jayman, nice tune. Kind of slow and uninteresting compared to the strangeness of the other tunes but i suppose every album needs a quick sigh of relief santa
wow I know I'm Not John that uke i mean wow this man surely knows his way around a uke which is quite clear in this uke tune
Hmm, a live song on this album? how dare he i mean i wanted this album to be studio perfection and then he puts a tune of him and a friend playing something all on one track and it's just so lame how dare he HOW DARE HE good tune though
Gary I Love Thee what a song title way to groove those mini solos and those layered vocals wow the outro solo couldn't have possibly been done by bran as it is too good ow8 it wasn't way to go eifion lewis whoever that is Wink
Antony Road is perfect. I certainly love those lows WinkWinkWinkWinkWink animal sounds wow
An Educated Discourse is.....strange in the most perfect way. It all comes together so nicely, who could have guessed it ever could have been done but the drum solos
grr why bran why why do you have to attempt to sound like a boy band singer whyyyyyyyyyyy nice uke again though and the background harmonies hmm outro solos? wow
hmm a 6 minute song what has this world come to. way to sound passionate and loving and etc. the drums on this one are pretty bad though highs!? oh lordy
wow, a perfect album closer. Surely whoever came up with the song concept must be a man among men.
so yeah if you like such bands as Nirvana, Kanye West, Joan Jett, or Tool, you will probably like this album. PROBABLY

Highlights: Antony Road, An Educated Discourse, La Blade, Into This Cup, The Mate Who
Lowlights: To Fallen Ambassadors of the Groove (A Tribute), Jake It On The Run
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Aftermath by The Rolling Stones (1966)
Green, what a guy.
so yeah, starts with one of the better Rolling Stones songs. It actually sounds relatively ahead of its time for 1966, considering a lot of bands were still playing it safe at that time.
Then it goes back to standard 60s pop with Stupid Girl. some fun organ licks, but the drums are quite bland. hard to believe a 3 minute songs drags on too long, but this song certainly does nothing special here.
Lady Jane hmm kind of a pretty tune, the bass really sticks out (in a good way) and the harpsichord works well. a nice composition, but would have been better done by a different band Wink
Marimba work? way to go sir Stones. Definitely a highlight. It could have used a change up somewhere along the way, but good regardless
There's nothing quite like distorted slide guitar. Shame it just does the same thing over and over and over and the dissonance with the piano is AWFUL. Regardless of all that, I do like this tune, but Songs dragging on seems to be the theme of this album.
Think has a bit more of the psychedelia like the first tune, real nice clean vs. dirty guitar in the panning, certainly one of the better on the album.
Flight 505 is a pretty standard blues tune, it's got some nice super low sax stuff and the piano is nice, the guitars are kind of uninteresting, I don't know it doesn't stand out to me too much. Plus it drags on too long again
I think High and Dry might be Jagger's best vocals on the album. His highish normal register just works with the sounds they're making. the drums are the most annoying thing I think i've ever heard though, but for a country-like tune, it's not so bad.
Oh boy, I think what I thought was low sax stuff is actually fuzz bass I think and it's featured throughout It's Not Easy. way to go fuzz bass man but yeah for a fairly normal 60s pop song this one is super not bad. and wow this one totally seemed like it was the right length way to go team stones
Wow, I love I Am Waiting. The differentiation between the verses and choruses is great and it's totally groovy sounding and not like basic pop like the rest of the album mmm I think this one might get best song on the album spot ow8 paint it black definitely but this is a close second Wink
an 11 minute song wat. let's hope it doesn't drag eh? Wink
but yeah it's kind of a boring yet catchy blues song so far huh it just keeps going with this same kind of boring thing. The bass guitar is literally playing the same note on every beat and jaggerman is just scatting over top. Hmm, putting tremolo on the guitar hmm i suppose that's an interesting change but yeah this song is WAY too long. finally at the end they put some kind of reverby keyboards or something over top to give it a slightly different feel but gah why stones why going as a lowlight
so yeah if you like pretty stereotypically 60s-sounding songs this is the album for you Wink

Highlights: Paint It Black, Under My Thumb, Lady Jane, Think, It's Not Easy, I Am Waiting
Lowlights: Stupid Girl, High and Dry, Going Home
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Jesus Christ Superstar by Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice (1970)
mmm this is probably one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle in my musical evolution
This review will technically be on the original creation featuring Ian Gillan among others, in which he hits nice highs and the instruments sound amazing and not kind of lame like they tend to on other versions (2000 )
Highlights tend to have highs in them aka What's The Buzz, Gethsemane, The Last Supper
Other highlights include Heaven On Their Minds which just grooves. Overture also grooves, along with the outro to 39 lashes.
Hosanna has the strangest progression ever but it gives me chills on certain listens mmm
Everything's Alright is like the perfect pop song. it has minor sections and major sections and a never ending outro that is beautiful mmmm
are there lowlights? well, the ending is pretty underwhelming. But really, there's hardly a bad moment ever on the album. Future version would fix this "problem" by adding Can We Start Again Please Wink
If I had to pick worst songs, I guess they would be Crucifixion, The Arrest, Peter's Denial, and Poor Jerusalem, but for the most part these songs are kind of filler in the sense that they push the story and just use recycled leitmotifs. Still, these songs are great, just not as great as other songs. You can't win them all Wink
but yeah, this album wowowowowowowow

Highlights: What's the Buzz, The Last Supper, Gethsemane, Hosanna, Heaven On Their Minds, Overture, Everything's Alright
Lowlights: Crucifixion, The Arrest, Peter's Denial, Poor Jerusalem, Herod's Dream
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:17 pm

God Bless Tiny Tim by Tiny Tim (1968)
It's Tiny Tim's first album
it features pretty much every song he has a lasting legacy for, so let's continue on.
Opens with him singing an acapella song for a while, then strange strings come in and it sounds pretty psycho-like. surprisingly, Tiny Tim has a neat lower range when he's not singing in falsetto.
Tiptoe Through The Tulips is pretty nice, but I've never really understood everyone's love for it. it's certainly not as good as say
Livin' in the Sunlight santa there aren't any songs better than this one on earth, so it's definitely a highlight Wink I guess i shouldn't judge other songs based on this one since it's so perfect.
On The Old Front Porch is a "duet," meaning his normal low voice in the left channel and his falsetto voice in the right. it's a pretty annoying song really, but the duet thing works surprisingly well.
The Viper was broken on my version but upon looking it up I am not missing anything at all, as it is just a dramatic and drawn out 2:00 joke. THERE'S NOT ANY SINGING
The organ work at the beginning of Stay Down Here Where You Belong is astounding. The reverb on the vocals and the strange effects really makes it fit in with the music scene at the time. Trumpets!? oh wow I think it might be political whining though.
Then I'd Be Satisfied With Life has pretty funny lyrics, but it brings off this strange country vibe. Kind of stands out for it on this album. nice piano though.
Strawberry Tea is some of the best baroque pop there is. Seriously, this tune is amazing, even if it sounds nothing like Tiny Tim. The strings, the harpsichord (I think), the harmonies mmm
The Other Side is insane, as in only a loony could have written it. the song is about a fish I think, and then the chorus goes into a rousing choir of "THE ICECAPS ARE MELTING HOHOHOHO" The verses groove super hard and despite all of the psychoticness, I love it.
Fuzz Guitar??? oh wow this song rocks. Ever Since You Told Me That You Love Me (I'm A Nut) is a marvelous tune. Double tracked vocals never sounded so good, and that progression and the guitar work and piano and well placed falsetto a violin solo?? oh goodness i am so rigid right now way to go mr. tim
Daddy Daddy is kind of duet-y, as the verses are done like a child asking about heaven, and the choruses are done in a deep voice portraying the father. Kind of a sad song actually, the music itself isn't anything amazing really, neat tune though.
The Coming Home Party is astounding as well. Another delving into the world of psych-pop. Amazing progression, great instrument choices (harp in there somewhere). Simply amazing. so many highlights on this album.
Fill Your Heart is a cover of a song that David Bowie would also cover, but Bowie's version is a bit better than this one, but it's got some nice bassoon I think. It's much too slow, but it has much better instrumentation. It doesn't do too much for me, but it's not bad certainly. It builds well and has some real nice Bell Chimes
Another duet, I Got You Babe. Kind of annoying this one. Literally just him differentiating between falsetto and not-falsetto with only a Uke. Maybe he should stop with duets.
Ends with the song This Is All I Ask. A super pretty tune done in normal register with great strings, and brushes on the drumkit. In all honesty, brushes on the drumkit is one of the most underused tools ever, and for that reason alone this song could be a highlight French Horn!? oh my goodness what an ending.

Highlights: Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight, Stay Down Here Where You Belong, Strawberry Tea, The Other Side, Ever Since You Told Me That You Love Me (I'm A Nut), The Coming Home Party, This Is All I Ask
Lowlights: On The Old Front Porch, Then I'd Be Satisfied With Life, The Viper, I Got You Babe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Odyssey and Oracle by The Zombies (1968)
based on my experiences, everyone from classic rock fans to the hippest of hipsters love this album. In fact, i'm not sure it's possible to hate this album.
It's about the best example of baroque pop every created, driven more by piano and keyboard licks than anything done by the guitar. The harmonies are quite great as well.
The album starts with Care of Cell 44, which is one of the catchiest songs ever written, and the chorus just makes you feel good. Certainly a highlight in my eyes.
Despite some songs making you feel good, some songs are the epitome of sadness. For instance, Rose for Emily is about a girl who tends her garden and gives away flowers for others to give to people, but no one ever gives her a rose :'( i guess she must be ugly or something
Maybe After He's Gone has a kind of strange progression. It's one of those I can stand somedays and not find real special other days. However, it showcases their ability to make loud rousing choruses. Also, the bridge of the song is super great.
Beechwood Park is pretty groovy, some neat rhythmic organ work. Some amazing harmonies here as well. But where aren't there amazing harmonies Wink
Brief Candles is another kind of sad tune, only in the lyrics. Pretty peppy chorus melody. I like this tune a lot.
Hung Up On A Dream has one of the least-good sounding progressions I can think of. And it never changes. I very much dislike this tune.
Changes is amazing really. Starts with a Flute solo I think (might be mellotron not sure), has bongos over amazing acapella harmony layeredness for the choruses, then piano comes back in and oh wow certainly one of the better tunes.
I Want Her She Wants Me utilizes harpsichord and it's one of the more poppy-sounding tunes up to this point. The flow of the lyrics at certain points is kind of annoying though, but that can easily be forgiven Wink
This Will Be Our Year has some of the groovier piano. It's a great song, but it kind of stands out for it's general normal-sounding-ness. However, those trumpet licks and piano solo mmm kind of needs some harmonies
Butcher's Tale is astounding to say the least. One of the most inspiring songs ever, in my book. simple instrumentation with just a simple organ (you can hear the clicking of the keys for some reason) and the lyrics are easy to understand and the fact that he kind of goes out of tune every once in a while but it really adds to the story he's telling. Really, it's an amazing tune.
Friends of Mine is another super-poppy tune, kind of interesting. Amazing harmonies here once again, and the uptempo nature of the tune really contrasts to Butcher's tale just before (hehe) it's kind of funny actually.
Surely we've all heard Time of the Season and know just how orgasmic that tune is. Needless to say Wink

Highlights: Care of Cell 44, Changes, I Want Her She Wants Me, Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914), Friends of Mine, Time of the Season
Lowlights: Maybe After He's Gone, Hung Up On A Dream
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Three 1968s in a row? Oh goodie

H. P. Lovecraft by H. P. Lovecraft (1968)
According to wikipedia, they're known for their dark brooding sounds and use of fantasy lyrics.
To me they kind of sound like a normal 60s psych rock band ROFL
Wayfaring Stranger is kind of minor, has some interesting use of organ. Nothing too fantastic, but certainly nothing bad.
Let's Get Together is a cover of a Jefferson Airplane song from before jefferson airplane were like wow so wow. Another band by the name of The Youngbloods would cover this song and make it big because of it, but this HP Lovecraft version is pretty interesting. They kind of do strange things with the timing of the lyrics, but wonderful organ work again. Let's continue to keep our eyes peeled on that organ, eh? Wink
I've Been Wrong Before is kind of neat. I finally realized that this vocal man sounds exactly like the vocal man for the band Lighthouse. Way to go man. but yeah, not too special a tune.
The Drifter, wow. Organ licks out the yazoo. Pretty poppy tune, nice harmonies to be certain, and some horns as well? wow
That's The Bag I'm In is amazing. there's a guy doing harmonies loudly enough that you don't know which line is supposed to be melody and which is not but yeah what an uptempo tune and certainly a highlight.
The White Ship wow. What a soundscape. I love the harmony man for this band, and the use of horns is well done. Really, a marvelous tune. oh wow, random indian scales on a reeded instrument wow
Country Boy and Bleeker Street is one of the first to use any prominent guitar. But it's not too great of guitar playing Kind of an interesting progression, nothing too special.
The Time Machine is like, um, well it uses twangy piano to start, and then it goes into a reverby great section, and then back to weird western-saloon piano work. pretty interesting indeed
oh wow, this song sounds jazzy. Nice guitar work, and brushes on the drums wow I could certainly get high to this song way to go hp lovecraft big highlight here
Last song here we go oh that's it? an acapella version of some latin hymn oh um LOWLIGHT
really, there aren't any bad songs, just songs that aren't as good as others. Way to go.

Highlights: The Drifter, That's The Bag I'm In, The White Ship, That's How Much I Love You Baby (More or Less)
Lowlights: Gloria Patri, I've Been Wrong Before
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm

In Rainbows by Radiohead (2007)
Huh
I think my biggest problem with radiohead is mr. yorke. No one understands a word he says.
my favorite part is probably mr. drummerman though
Starts with probably the best song on the album, 15 step. not sure why I like it, maybe it's the electronic drum feel, but it sure is nice. The reverby parts with the ride cymbal are pretty amazing as well.
Changed my mind, Bodysnatchers is definitely the best. Why can't Radiohead sound like this more often seriously i mean great progressions nice riffs and the drums wow
Nude's strings are pretty nice. not a fan of the vocals or verse progressions with the reversed drums and the weird bass line yeah the strings are the only redeeming quality. it barely even builds why radiohead why nice use of the maggot brain progression though WinkWinkWinkWink
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi is pretty alright as far as their slowish songs go. the drums really make this tune. When it builds and has the reverby keyboard/guitar/whatever that is in the back mmm nice stuff. The ending is a bit weird, but the dull keyboards during the interlude are really interesting, they sound like that one online sound maker light squares things. It ends back with that building section but with oohs and ahhs mmm nice work sir head.
huh synthesized strings why would you do this to me when you had real strings earlier :'( weird synth bass lines ugh yeah not a fan go away All I Need go away
Faust Arp has a nice progression, nice guitars and progressive stuff. REAL STRINGS!? hooray shame the song never goes anywhere.
Reckoner once again showcases mr. drummer well. Pretty neat tune, oh lordy are those HARMONIES? good work sir. Unfortunately, the progression does nothing for me and thus won't even get a mention at the end.
House of Cards, another kind of boring goes-nowhere tune. Luckily, it has a decent progression and has some interesting super-reverb guitar work, but is way too long and bland
Jigsaw Falling into Place has some nice guitar and drum work. This is kind of the stuff that I always imagine radiohead doing, kind of strange dissonant chords with a strange progressive time signature yeah not a bad tune.
Videotape ugh

Highlights: 15 Step, Bodysnatchers, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Faust Arp
Lowlights: Nude, All I Need, Videotape
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys (2006)
wow a concept album about clubbing wow
We have to do this review looking past sir vocalist man, not a fan of the guy too much.
First song starts pretty groovy, just heavy enough for my taste. There's a few parts in this song that don't agree with me, but we'll forgive them this time.
I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor wow go guitars go pretty catchy tune kind of weird licks in between verses and choruses. Nice progression though. I'll give it a highlight for its ballsy-ness.
Hmm, these guys do know how to lay down some nice riffs, and Fake Tales of etc. features some of the better bass yet. best song so far.
Oh wow, go drums go mesh so well with those palm muted riffs mmm I do like the guitar playing with these guys, octave difference single-note riffs are pretty nice. Singerman is pretty good on this tune as well hooray
Hmm, the drumming is kind of annoying on this tune. not to mention the long song title time to forget this song exists so I don't have to write the whole thing out. it's really not too special anyway
This song had a nice beginning, but it kind of fell off. We're hitting a bit of a dry spell here, mr. monkeys. oh wait this bridge thing wow back to some nice work way to bring it full circle band
Wow, go chords go. Who knew they could play slow-ish songs? not i that is for certain. guitar effects? this song is so surprising it has to be a highlight
Oh wow, more chords. Nice ones at that. This song would work well if covered by a not-too-heavy ska band. go tune go, and what's this A SOLO? oh goodness my heart can't handle this bad ending oh noooo at least these guys don't over stay their welcome Wink
hmm, i could go either way on mardy bum. the panned guitars aren't really in synch with each other and the strange jangling is kind of headache inducing. it's a nice progression though, also soloing really is not their forte
These songs are starting lose any uniqueness. I'm sure this song would be great if I hadn't listened to a bunch of songs just like it for 20 minutes or so. Hmm, this middle section would be a lot better without the dark guitar chords ruining the tribal drums and tambourine why guitars why oh hello guitars way to do that high chords thing almost saved the song but NOT QUITE
When The Sun Goes Down hmm would be better if I couldn't hear him strumming sir electric. oh wow distortion out of nowhere once again a nice riff. This tune's a bit too minor after the beautiful beginning. I might have to return to this album again someday after a few more listens so that these tunes start to have a bit more uniqueness to them. bringing it full circle again way to go for that we'll put you in not-good/not-bad limbo
Hmm, from the Ritz to the Rubble reminds me of that Bloc Party song from GH3 some nice drumming going on here, and for some reason it actually sticks out to me way to go team. Even though this one is pretty punky, I really don't mind it wow bass solo outro mmm
Final song, let's see how this goes OH WOW those drums rock it guy hmm, incorporating interesting guitar sounds and panned guitar broken chords that have a melody wow. this is pretty amazing so far. Keep it up guys. These clean guitars really sound nice. Huh, this song even has a decently memorable solo way to end on a high note men, congrats.

Highlights: I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Fake Tales of San Francisco, Dancing Shoes, Riot Van, From the Ritz to the Rubble, Certain Romance
Lowlights: View from the Afternoon, Mardy Bum, Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But..., that song with the long title
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Hunky Dory by David Bowie (1971)
David Bowie, still on the up and up towards stardom and fame and
He utilizes some nice sounds throughout this album, including strings and piano
Overall, I would say this one is more melodic than, say, Ziggy, or anything past that. It certainly sounds older and is much less ROCK than Ziggy and Aladdin Sane. It's much more Easy Listening like, utilizing more acoustic and simple piano playing rather than SOLOing and Piano Riffin'. and Bowie doesn't really push his vocals too hard, except for on Life On Mars probably
Starts off with Changes, which everyone knows from such films as Shrek 2 Nice tune indeed and certainly a highlight
Oh! You Pretty Things is kind of interesting. Some nice piano work and a real nice chorus. Pretty catchy, but it takes half the song to get there. Not his best singing, but we can certainly forgive sir guy for this Wink
Eight Line Poem kind of transitions in from the last song, and it's pretty filler-y. Kind of a slow tune with nonsensical lyrics, the strange phaser on the piano is kind of interesting I suppose.
Life On Mars? is probably one of Bowie's best tunes ever. The strings are pretty great, and the progression through the chorus is goosebump inducing on certain listens for me. Way to go Bowie
I really like Kooks, I sometimes catch myself singing this tune out of the blue, forget where it comes from, and then fret for days trying to remember. Despite the frustrations, I do like it. Even though a lot of the tunes are kind of slow, the songs all stay interesting and fun to listen to, especially in Kooks, Quicksand, and Fill Your Heart.
Fill Your Heart is one of bowie's few covers, and he keeps this one pretty nice.
Andy Warhol starts kind of experimental and then goes into this pretty minor spanish-sounding acoustic tune. Certainly one of the better on the album.
Song for Bob Dylan is one of the moments on the album where it goes cheesy. I can understand having slow melodic tunes, but this one is all of that gone bad
Queen Bitch is about the first look into the kind of stuff that will appear on Ziggy, probably the closest to ROCK on the album. That said, it's pretty just alright
Ends on a minor, slow, acoustic tune (how original), also the longest on the album by like 10 seconds Really, it's pretty good. Way to go Bowie.

Highlights: Changes, Life on Mars?, Kooks, Andy Warhol, The Bewlay Brothers
Lowlights: Eight Line Poem, Song for Bob Dylan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Sweet Baby James by James Taylor (1970)
Hmm, tried this one on a whim.
Some songs are miles better than others. It really devolves into country fairly often, and his voice is very twangy.
Some nice blending of folk and gospel tunes here, kind of interesting at the very least. Needs more harmonies in my opinion, but whatever.
Anytime they use slide guitar, I get nauseous. Why Taylorman Why
Slide Guitar is very prevalent on the first song and the song Anywhere Like Heaven. Auto-Lowlights
However certain songs are amazing
like Sunny Skies. It's actually kind of jazzy and beautiful mmm
There's this neat cover of Oh, Susannah that features some of the niftiest guitar playing.
Blossom has some real neat piano/guitar coordination throughout. It's pretty beautiful like, and it doesn't sound terribly country, so go it.
The song Fire and Rain is probably his most famous tune, probably. It's just okay.
On the list of just-okay songs goes Steamroller, which is a pretty standard blues tune. it's nothing special, and the real blues tune on the album would come later with Oh Baby, Don't you Loose Your Lips On Me mmmm
Last Song, Suite for 20 G, is pretty great. Has Harmonies, has not-instruments, and it also sounds good Probably the best on the album.
pretty nice album really, I liked it surprisingly more than I thought I might for the minimalist compositions. His voice isn't anything super amazing, the guitar work is probably the highlight of the album.

Highlights: Sunny Skies, Oh Susannah, Blossom, Oh Baby, Don't You Loose Your Lips On Me, Suite for 20 G
Lowlights: Sweet Baby James, Anywhere Like Heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 pm

The Book of Taliesyn by Deep Purple (1968)
It's the band's second release! hoora
Starts with a strangely good tune, Listen, Learn, Read On. some weird solo licks on every instrument, weird spoken word sections by sir evans, and just overall setting a strange mood for the rest of the album.
Then out of nowhere, organ licks and highly reverbed drums and instrumental jamming what a tune. Certainly one of the better on sir album.
Kentucky Woman is kind of a funny cover of a neil diamond song. The Tambourine is astounding on this song, along with the harmonies why do deep purple seem to forget that they can singing harmonies well. but yeah, super nice tune. There's a cool breakdown section when sir Lord shreds the keys to dust, as he always does.
Exposition is a classically-infused intro into their cover of The Beatles' We Can Work It Out. Exposition is loud and interesting, and then We Can Work It Out is cool and groovy, and the contrast is pretty neat. Also HARMONIES also the Blackmore solo and guitar licks are pretty neat. In all honesty, I might enjoy this version better than the original.
The Shield is kind of um, well. It has one of the more annoying progressions I can think of. The singing is nice, but it is definitely the worst song on the album. the organ melody during the verses is pretty lame, the choruses are neat, but the rest of the song The solo section has some pretty nice drumming, but there's too little direction and just ugh
Anthem has strings kind of showcases where mr. lord will go in the future, and is kind of a precursor to songs like April on their third album. As far as slower ballads go, they sure do this song nicely.
River Deep, Mountain High is....strange. It takes a while to get anywhere, but when it does, oh wow does it sound nice. Nice harmonies, nice melodies, and one of the better guitar solos on the album.

Highlights: Wring that Neck, Kentucky Woman, Exposition/We Can Work It Out, River Deep, Mountain High
Lowlights: The Shield
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Wonderwall Music by George Harrison (1968)
Hmmmmm
Upon viewing Wikipedia, we stumble upon this gem of words: "The songs are virtually all instrumental, except for some non-English vocals and a slowed-down spoken word track." So bear with me Wink
this album looks daunting because it's 19 songs long, however a majority are under 2 minutes long.
Starts off with some weird reeded instrument wailing over droning indian instruments. This is truly George Harrison. Not a fan of this tune, kind of a bad starting song.
Red Alady Too has some nice jazzy drumming and echo'd piano riffing. Sounds pretty neat.
Tabla and Pakavaj is basically the middle section of Within You Without You, and it flows right into In The Park, which features sitar playing. There's some good harpsichord soloing going on as well mmm you would have to be in a certain mood to really enjoy this album, if it continues like this. It works better as good background music than sit and enjoy music.
Drilling a Home more jazzy drumming, honky-tonk piano playin' mmmm what a tune. it kind of sounds like it was meant to have vocals added at some point. Go piano solo go, I think that's a trombone solo in there too wow
Guru Vandana has some rather obnoxious sax playing while indian drones continue their good work. go away. next song is nothing special
WOW distorted guitar playing!? it's about time sir harrison. Auto-highlight for that, plus the song is groovetastic as well.
Oh wow, Gat Kirwani is pretty great. It has the drones and it has the indian drumming, but it's at like double speed and has acoustic shredding going on at the same time hoora
hmm, reversed droning and falsetto vocals with normal direction drumming not sure how this works oh dear 5 minute long song can i make it probably not oh sudden change up in the middle way to go more change ups and a not-instrument solo? wow what a strange tune
Start of side 2 opens with fairly normal music, kind of sounds like something off of All Things Must Pass. not bad.
hmm, all of the indian sounding songs kind of run together. I do like the sound of the indian drum things, but yeah
CRYING worst song ever. Just two violins screeching at different times and in different ears gaaaaaaaaah
Cowboy Song is like a super country cover of Silent Night using harmonica. not a fan
more indian music
On the Bed is a kind of neat song, featuring weird organ work with a trumpet solo over top. the panning is kind of strange though, but when the guitar comes in oh lordy
an uptempo indian song? oh wow. the sitar melody is actually one of the better so far. Go Indians Go
Wonderwall to Be Here is probably the best not-indian song so far. The album is starting to pick up decently for the ending kind of sad sounding, but it has grand mellotron work
ends alright
yeah, kind of a weird album.

Highlights: Red Alady Too, Drilling a Home, Ski-Ing, Gat Kirwani, On the Bed, Glass Box, Wonderwall to Be Here,
Lowlights: Microbes, Guru Vandana, Crying, Cowboy Song
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm

another 1968 streak, oh goodness

Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel (1968)
mmm i love this album to pieces.
Songwise, it's not as good as Bridge Over Troubled Water, but the concept connecting the first half of the album makes up for it. It's hard to pick a favorite from these two.
So yeah, the first half of the album is a concept album about growing up I guess.
Starts with an UNSCROBBLEABLE first tune.
Then there's probably the strangest S&G tune, Save the Life of my Child. Tons of kind of weird effects and a synthesizer used for the bass. hmmm nice tune though
America follows directly after. Quite a nice tune, nice lyrics, nice progression, nice feel. nice indeed
Overs is a quiet acoustic tune that's quite beautiful.
Then there's Voices of Old People, which is literally just a recording of old people talking about who knows what. kind of lame, but I suppose it matches the mood alright
Fades into Old Friends, which is probably the most emotional tune ever created by S&G. If you imagine your grandma as one friend and your dead grandfather as the other one, you will cry every time you listen to this tune. Or, try and project yourself into the future with me as your other friend. It's almost a religious experience if you try hard enough Wink This kind of relates to America as well. Amazing orchestration, and that French Horn mmm
Bookends Theme is pretty much a part of Old Friends, as you need both of them to complete the song.
Now we're to side two of the album, which holds a random assortment of songs, among them the greats Mrs. Robinson and Fakin' It.
Hazy Shade of Winter is fairly rockin' for S&G, and At The Zoo sounds like something off of one of their other albums.
Punky's Dilemma is pretty alright, but a bit corny for me. Sorry sir S&G.

Highlights: Save the Life of my Child, America, Old Friends/Bookends Theme, Fakin' It, Mrs. Robinson
Lowlights: Voices of Old People, Punky's Dilemma
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:35 am

The Soft Parade by The Doors (1969)
another favorite of mine? well sure. Certainly the best The Doors album, for sure.
This is probably because of the heavy orchestration used.
and by heavy i mean low-to-moderate. A few horns here and there, some violins now and again. But who could imagine Touch Me without that sax solo Wink
Yeah, best songs are definitely Touch Me and the opening song, Tell All The People.
I also have a soft spot for Runnin' Blue. Maybe because of Krieger's vocals on the choruses hmm
Easy Ride kind of stands out for it's normalness, as an uptempo groovy song. I love it.
Of course, the title song is a highlight, if anything for the amazing not-singing Wink also there's these super groovy sounds around the part with the "Girl named sandy" part
Do It and Wild Child are pretty lame, kind of repetitive and uninteresting, and there's hardly any not-The Doors players on them
Wishful Sinful is kind of strange in that I love it somedays and can't stand it others. Maybe it's the Oboe solo. Or maybe it's bassoon. does anyone really care? Wink
Poor Shaman's Blues. You're only just okay :'(
so yeah best album for sure.
btw a normal bass guitar is used on every song. EVERY SONG.

Highlights: Touch Me, The Soft Parade, Runnin' Blue, Easy Ride, Tell All The People
Lowlights: Do It, Wild Child
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7677
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:56 am

after careful deliberation i have come to the conclusion that the best the doors album is

the debut
omf
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 am

Tommy by The Who (1969)
A concept double album, my favorite. Also, considered to be the first album purposefully labelled a Rock Opera.
I always tend to get a little giddy at the idea of albums that tell stories. I'm surprised it's taken me this long to try this out.
Starts with the Overture. I like overtures like this, that give brief glimpses at song leimotifs mmm great starting point, nice instrumentation.
Song three is kind of strange. supposedly it tells the story of how Tommy's father killed tommy's mother's lover, which leads to Tommy becoming the elite disable he is, but you would never get it from the feel of the song. It's like they completely skipped over the violence. The song itself is pretty good, but it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
(Oh yeah, on your first few listens, it might be handy to read along with the lyrics so as to understand who is singing which part, since the same voice does everyone pretty sure)
the fact that Tommy becomes a messianic leader of some cult is so reminiscent of The Wall. I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Waters had listened to this a few times before writing his stuff Wink
Oh wow, more stuff from Wikipedia!
songs 4 and 5 give us this detail: " Now in a semi-catatonic state, Tommy's subconscious manifests as a figure dressed in silvery robes who guides him on a journey of enlightenment." he is indeed enlightened, as the song feeling has shown.
Now Tommy is apparently meeting a prostitute. hmmm
Christmas is about Tommy's parents fearing for Tommy because he doesn't believe in Jesus. MAYBE BECAUSE HE CAN'T SEE OR HEAR OR SPEAK. regardless, the song works well, and we're introduced to the "See Me Feel Me" theme, which I've heard before so it must be well known. Way to go tune.
Now Tommy is being tortured by his cousin. But you would never be able to tell since the chords are so happy and there are harmonies However the song gets a bit tedious to sit through by the end and is kind of unsettling as it goes along.
Tommy is now meeting the Prostitute who attempts to "fix" him through sex and drugs but not rock and roll NEVER rock and roll it's kind of amazing how they manage to get rather sexual themes across without explicitly mentioning them in the lyrics. Well done on those lyrics sir Who.
and here we have arrived at the Underture; a 10 minute instrumental and I have no idea what is supposed to be going on here, could be tommy on drugs, a night of sex with the prostitute, or it might be his paedophile uncle having is way with him. It could go either way. It certainly overstays its welcome and never really goes anywhere. There are some pretty neat moments in this song though.
ow8 now we've reached boy-touching uncle. "Do you think it's alright to leave him with Uncle Ernie?" are the only lyrics (hehe) i'm going to go with no
oh wow what a tune. down with the bed clothes, up with the night shirt Wink The innocent-yet-dirty sound here is amazing, they captured the feeling perfectly.
and just as suddenly as it started, uncle ernie is done playing with Tommy's winky and Tommy is now playing Pinball. Definitely the best song up to this point, as it should be Wink There is actually incredible guitar layering going on in this tune, and I had never noticed before. Go Townshend Go
Oh wow! Mr. Tommy's dad has found a doctor who can fix tommy!
ow8 he can't, imagine that. More See Me Feel Me? hooray. Quite a good tune, plus harmonies!! The Drums really make it one of the more dramatic tunes so far as well.
Oh goodness, there sounds like about 8 voices singing harmonies here. Tommy Can You Hear Me? is relatively short, but the harmonies, bass licks, and nifty panned acoustic work is great. If this keeps up, Side three of the album will definitely take the cake as the best quarter of the double album.
Smash the Mirror is one of the more rockin' tunes. but why not, it's about destroying things!! also, falsetto wow. This is the point at which Tommy suddenly can hear and see and speak again.
Sensation kind of shows us how people have started following him like Jesus or something. However, it has some relatively out of tune singing :'(
Miracle Cure is amazing, but only 12 seconds long :'(
Sally Simpson is fantastic. About running away from home to watch Tommy give a sermon on being cool and neat and a great human being. Then people start getting hurt and stuff. Great moral here.
I'm Free wow. This album has certainly had it's run of great tunes here. OH WOW a reiteration of the Pinball Wizard melody wowowowowowow that was amazing
Another great tune. I will now have to go back and deem some of the first few songs lowlights, if only because the last half has been astounding.
OH GOSH Tommy starts a campground and Uncle Ernie is there go pedophile go make those camping kids feel so good against their will mmmm
Final Song time. After how great this album has been, this song certainly comes with some high expectations. The first 3 minutes are pretty alright, kind of corny, but then it changes into See Me Feel Me mmmm. At least it ends on that, and the it does the dramatic part of the end of Go To The Mirror!. It's an incredible ending.
Well Done, the Who. I am impressed.

Highlights: Overture, Pinball Wizard, Go To The Mirror!, Tommy Can You Hear Me?, Smash the Mirror, Sally Simpson, I'm Free, Welcome, We're Not Gonna Take It
Lowlights: 1921, Cousin Kevin, The Acid Queen, Underture
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 am

I find it fitting that you picked Tommy while we're playing Katawa Shoujo.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:40 pm

why, because the review was long winded, had a slow start, but had an amazing ending? Wink

anyway
Hatfield and the North by Hatfield and the North (1974)
These guys were on my recommended list on Last.fm, saying they're like Magma, Aphrodite's Child, and Emerson Lake & Palmer. I like those bands
I am expecting prog.
However, they sound very jazzy, mostly because of the keyboardist and the strange bass work. the Vocalist isn't anything too great, but he isn't very active in many songs.
The first 4 songs all run together into one song. The first song sounds very neat, but it's only technically 22 seconds long
Hmm, now these guys are sounding almost psychedelic. I blame that on the backwards guitar. These guys kind of remind me of Meddle-era Pink Floyd, but with Keith Emerson on keys.
Oh wow, we've reached a song with a sax choir. 5 minutes into the same song, a choir of what sounds like 10 year old girls. Hmm. So far, all of the songs are great, but more in a Background Music sense and less of a "wow this song is amazing" sense. Like nothing is sticking out that makes me want to skip the song. I hope you can understand me As this song goes on, it becomes more and more surreal. It's quite good.
We have now reached a song called "Rifferama". It's got some nifty distorted guitar shredding in the left channel while wah-organ shreds in the left. some of the jazziest drumming is happening in the center. The bass is just kind of there. wow, and now the keyman is trying to make weird sounds keep it up guy
Oh wow, finally something wrong. Singing in a different language in unison except for in three different octaves is unforgiveable
Now they are jamming, and have appropriately named it the best song title ever: "Shaving is Boring"
oh wow, another selection of three or so songs combined into one perfectly, yet separated. Way to go Hatfield. These three work very well together, and it's a nice, slower change up from the relatively uptempo and chaotic rest of the album up to this point. The last part of the song is astoundingly beautiful, who knew a woman's choir could sound so good? (hehe)
then it quickly transitions into an uptempo jam again. hooray. also, this has become a 5 song combination now wow. One song, left, I hope they combine it into this as well
oh wow, it ends like that first song that was 22 seconds long. way to come full circle like etc.
wow, only one bad song. it must be a pretty great album, eh? Wink

Highlights: Son of "There's No Place Like Homerton", Rifferama, Shaving is Boring, Lobster in Cleavage Probe
Lowlights: Fol de Rol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Nevermind by Nirvana (1991)
Time to do this thing. I should have done this years ago, probably.
Starts with the only nirvana song people know It's really not bad, shame we've given it such a bad stigma. it certainly is high energy and works well as an album opener, I suppose. There are actually some pretty neat buried guitar effects/feedback that sound nice.
In Bloom, what a tune. dat bass amirite. also what nice harmonies
Come As You Are isn't as good as I remembered it being. I wish sir kurty would start doing interesting solo work rather than just playing the melody line. drags on more than I would like too
OH WOW that fuzz bass on Breed. Incredible. the vocals are a bit buried under the riffin'. I really like the layering done in every song thus far, it'd be interesting to listen to In Utero where they wanted to do more stripped down recordings. i probably would hate it (hehe)
Lithium is pretty alright, kind of a strange progression, and the chorus of YEAAAAHS is a little cheesy. the I LIKE IT part is probably the best part. ow8 the drumming on the verse mmm
Polly kind of comes out of left field, what nice harmonies and the softness of the tune really makes it stand out. I actually really enjoy it.
wow way to reference that Jefferson Airplane song so hard sir man. Territorial Pissings is kind of obnoxious (hehe) just goes down hill after reciting sir airplane lyrics. neat guitar tone I guess, sounds like it's right out of the 80s
Drain You time oh boy let's do this right. i love those random harmonies that only appear like 3 times scattered and now we're at the middle section mmm what a section
Go Vocal Fry Go and a bass solo wow hmm kind of a bland song in relation to the rest of the album
I think we're hitting a rather boring section of the album. Stay Away is pretty lacklustre as well. the drums are certainly the highlight of the song go grohl go yeah the ending is kind of ridiculous stop being so filler tunes or else
On A Plain santa those harmonies are pretty amazing really. kind of drags on, but even it fades out it does so in an interesting way
come on Something in the Way go somewhere or else. A not-guitar stringed instrument!? what is this. huh, this song is kind of boring and dirge-y. why :'(
oh wow bonus track time way to make those weird sounds everyone. shame about the screaming
so yeah the album gets off to a decent start and slowly decrescendos into not-great wow

Highlights: Breed, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Polly, Drain You
Lowlights: Come As You Are, Territorial Pissings, Something in the Way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Crosby, Stills & Nash by Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969)
Wow
one of the better releases on the year 1969 TO BE CERTAIN
starts with a medley of random tunes by sir stills. Definitely the best song on the album. Some of the best harmonies and the best melodies and the guitar work is pretty neat
Marrakesh Express is kind of strange, it's a bit cheesy for me and for that alone it gets worst spot on the record. I mean it's really not bad, it's just surrounded by better tunes.
Guinnevere is pretty slow and sad sounding. Nice harmonies, and probably gets a lowlight, but it's certainly still good
You Don't Have To Cry was supposedly the song that created CSN. Very nice tune.
Pre-Road Downs is pretty just alright. to make three lowlights, I'll give it to this tune. Kind of basic, probably the closest to standard 60s rock on the album.
Wooden Ships mmm co-written by the jefferson airplane guy, but this version is much better than Jefferson Airplane's. the guitar work is astounding, and the story is nice. Well done
Lady of the Island mmm simple instrumentation never sounded so good, and Nash's high voice works so well here. One of the better ballads ever written.
Helplessly Hoping has probably the best harmonies of any song on the album, and it works so nice.
Long Time Gone is a prime example of Crosby's songwriting style. It's kind of funny how easy it is to identify songs he's written. Anyway, I love this tune quite a lot.
49 Bye-Byes is kind of a lacklustre ending to the album, but it works well enough.
and that's that. I would recommend this album to anyone. It's very accessible and sounds nice. Shame young had to join on and ruin the band

Highlights: Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships, Long Time Gone, Helplessly Hoping, You Don't Have To Cry, Lady of the Island
Lowlights: Marrakesh Express, Guinnevere, Pre-Road Downs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Come What(ever) May by Stone Sour (2006)
Recommended to me by sir Green because of the guitar effects
it certainly wasn't because of the genre or the vocals Wink
Despite that, first song actually has some neat harmonies. However, his screams are super weak. Let's hope the album doesn't sound like this the whole time not sure I can take 50 minutes of this
Just a note, Highlight means I made it to the end of the song without getting bored. Lowlight means I was ready to skip it before thirty seconds had passed.
Hmm, song two has a much better riff, and a major chord wow a solo yeah this guy probably should stop trying to scream
Hell and Consequences reminds me of Black Sunshine somehow, but instead of rob zombie singing we have this pretty lame guy. What a nice solo though, one of the funnier ones i've ever heard oh gosh a breakdown glad it's within 10 seconds of the end of the song
An acoustic song? clean bluesy solo work? hmm the way everything comes together, Sillyworld reminds of a song that Paul Gilbert would do. The way they throw around swear words, you would think these guys were pretty butthurt about something hmmmm maybe it will reveal itself later. Wah pedal? hmm way to end the song on a good note
wow, imagine that, a pretty stereotypical metal song. screaming wow how original
Oh goodness, this annoying dissonance is pretty bad. This progression is pretty awful, i guess it's got some pretty alright drums. Ugh, I don't think I can sit through this. OH GOD THAT ENDING KILL ME NOW
Your God hmm i can only imagine how butthurt this song will sound. Wow, interesting verses. Shame the choruses are as terrible as they come. good thing they're short
Hmm, let's hope Through Glass is decent since it's one of the band's successful singles. An acoustic ballad hmm what funny lyrics Tambourine!? Not-super Distorted guitars!? nice drums!? i had no idea this was possible. Not sure if I like sir guy's voice, but the rest of the instruments mmm
Socio was pretty average. Some nice effects on the early verses, but it quickly dwindles into the rest of the songs.
1st person hmm well it starts pretty lame, but pre-chorus drums mmm oh gosh the chorus why
Cardiff is about the epitome of things I hate about metal. Slow tune with overly distorted guitars and horribly dissonant chordings trying to sound emotional but sounding competely unoriginal at the same time. Definitely my least favorite on the album, maybe one of my least favorites of all time.
PIANO!? highlight.

Highlights: Hell and Consequences, Sillyworld, Through Glass, Zzyxx Road
Lowlights: Made of Scars, Reborn, 1st Person, Cardiff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 pm

that's
pretty much what i thought you'd say
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Tarkus by Emerson Lake & Palmer (1971)
When people say Progressive Rock, a lot of people initially think of Pink Floyd or Rush.
However, people should really think of ELP. They are probably the most overtly progressive rock band ever. The Epitome of It, some might say Wink
The album starts with layered oohing and ahhing that is actually incredible. It took me until this listen to realize just how great the first 30 seconds are.
the title track continues on with super strange percussively-played keyboard solos until the vocals come in, and it switches between these two extremes for 20 minutes. but what a good 20 minutes it is. Also the song is considered wow so great because it has a rare guitar solo by sir guy wow. my favorite part is the part at the end where sir emerson solos over what sounds like Dragon's Den from GSC
Jeremy Bender is pretty fillery in the sense that it doesn't really have anything to do with anything but it's certainly far from bad Wink also the piano sound is pretty neat
Bitches Crystal has some of the grooviest piano playing known to man, and it has the best melody of any song on the album. the drums are orgasmic at worst and the vocals mmmm certainly the best way to go
The Only Way wow. Pretty nice vocals, nice use of pipe organ, the religious whining is kind of old, and the melody is a bit lame in some parts. Then, out of no where, double time solo section mmmm. Great tune
Transitions perfectly into the worst song on the album. Pretty Obnoxious piano riffs, instrumental and pretty much only piano.
A Time And A Place is pretty alright. Singerman really stretches to hit some notes, and then goes into falsetto (crying). In some ways, this tune makes me think of Deep Purple with the screamy organ riffs. It would have worked well as the album end OH WOW THAT ORGAN HIGH
Are You Ready Eddy? (hehe) kind of comes out of left field and sounds nice. yeah.

Highlights: Tarkus, Bitches Crystal, The Only Way (Hymn), Are You Ready Eddy?
Lowlights: Infinite Space (Conclusion)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Forever Changes by Love (1967)
Not sure why, but tons of reviews have labeled this album as the quintessential psych pop album of the 60s. I mean, sure, it's alright, but the best? Time to give it another shot.
Starts with a pretty fantastic song, Alone Again Or. some nice spanish-esque guitar playing in conjunction with some nice, quickly played strings and emphasizing not-instrument. Certainly a great song. Plus, a not-instrument solo!? great.
A House Is Not A Motel is kind of weird. It sounds great, but, out of nowhere, the singerman hits some purposefully out of tune notes. I mean, why. great outro panned soloing if not for singerman this would be the best song Wink
Andmoreagain is pretty nice, a neat ballad with some great use of strings.
The Daily Planet is pretty good. Nice progression, not-bad singing. maybe this album is better than I remember it being huh, a fuzz guitar? neat sound.
This album isn't really that psychedelic, but pushed in any direction but the current one, this band could easily be super psychedelic. Maybe it's the strings. Anyway, the song Old Man has pretty bad singing again. Not a bad song outside of that, which is a shame.
The Red Telephone has a neat progression, and the use of strings is super nice. Oh wow, harpsichord. This song could easily be a The Doors song but if they replaced morrison with some whiny guy who struggles to hit highs. hmm, the end has just strange chanting ugh. They don't really know how to make a good song good, always ruining them
Again, the way they use primarily acoustic guitars and panned drums with next to no cymbals, and with the not-instruments, they make another spanish sounding song. Hmm, the acoustic work is kind of the unsung hero of this album. Lord knows it's not the singing
Live and Let Live is a pretty standard tune. Sounds a lot like any famous baroque pop song, until the pre-chorus where it suddenly hits some strange chords. Not too shabby, and one of the few to have a guitar solo. oh wow that outro solo just earned it a highlight
The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This. what a title. It's pretty good, some of the nicer not-instrument arrangements and the strings are plucking the strings mmmm not too often that is used. Shame the melody is just alright at best. also that weird effect at the end
Bummer in the Summer now that's a song title. It has piano the acoustic riffin' is pretty nice. yeah, good tune.
Final song time. Pretty good tune, the acoustic playing is nice, the bass is nice (first i've really noticed it ) and the singing is pretty good kind of drags on, but the end kind of reminds me of the end of All You Need Is Love. which is kind of fitting?
So yeah, every song is at least kind of saved by the instruments. The singing is definitely lacking the substance one would desire
Oops, turns out people love the album for the lyrics.
Lyrics disco

Highlights: Alone Again Or, Andmoreagain, The Daily Planet, Live and Let Live, Bummer in the Summer, You Set The Scene
Lowlights: Old Man, A House Is Not A Motel
Back to top Go down
View user profile

small times for formidable people
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next