ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

small times for formidable people

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1056
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Chicago III by Chicago (1971)
Considered by some to be the last good Chicago album. and how good it is.
Another double album filled with suites, so it follows in the footsteps of their second more than their first.
First song is a 9 minute long GROOVE. I mean seriously, what a tune.
second song is better than the first. I don't know why I love it so much, maybe because it reminds me of a song from Joseph & The Technicolor Dreamcoat.
What Else Can I Say has SLIDE :'( why chicago why. It's not as obnoxious as it could have been. Certainly the worst song up to this point. On the whole album? we'll see Wink
I Don't Need Your Money is a pretty standard blues song. The guitar tone sounds much older than it actually is. Great stuff, plus it has Lamm putting on some black-singer accent.
After listening to a slew of stand-alone tunes, we now reach the first "movement". The first part has more slide guitar :'( It kind of has a Doobie Brothers' feel to it.
Then there's a drum solo. set apart as its own song. why
Free starts kind of weird, and then it becomes, like, the best song ever. Seriously, the chorus of the song is the best chorus ever written.
Free Country should be called Free Jazz, as it's near identical to the end of Moonchild by King Crimson, but with more grand piano and less percussion. What were they thinking. It eventually has a melody by the end of the song, and then it falls apart again.
A ballad!? well done Lamm. Shame it is Lamm at his most out of tune.
Time for the last song in the movement, which starts with sir guitar man scatting. also, it has an acoustic riff and it grooves and the only singing is "lalalala"s and it's seven minutes long Sets a nice atmosphere, even if it isn't my favorite progression.
Mother features one of my favorite instruments ever, Wurlitzer Electric Piano Very Happy shame it's pretty just okay. The solo section has the best drumming thus far, plus dueling trombones that sound decent at best
Lowdown has the worst guitar tone that sir Kath has ever created. It stands out for that, which is a problem also, it's probably the cheesiest song they've done up to this point ow8 Can Anybody Really Tell What Time It Is
And now we've reached the second of three movements. This one is entitled "Hour in the Shower", and it's probably the most consistent suite on this album. It starts and ends with the same song, and it's a nice slow ballad with riffin' acoustic, which works surprisingly well. The three songs in between the first and last tunes are only like 50 second long each, and they all kind of follow the same progression. This suite probably would have worked better as one whole song, but whatever Wink
Chicago refuses to give you a break, as we are now at the third and final suite. This one is entitled "Elegy".
Starts with a weird poem. Why
They are now experimenting with using the instruments to sound orchestral. This was attempted on the second album, but with an actual orchestra and not the band itself. trumpets and trombones are layered to give it a nice brassy feel, and it works nice.
Once Upon a Time starts with flute mmm I do like flute in my songs. This whole suite appears to be instrumental and a bit pretentious really. Let's see how it progresses with
Progress? what a song title.....oh lord. It appears to be layered trumpet and trombone playing God knows what. also, there are weird sounds happening in the background (trains, jackhammers, etc.) why
And then suddenly, drums and guitar maybe they can pick up this suite with some GROOVE. It sure is jazzy, and completely different from the rest of the suite. Not to mention it has, like, the first organ solo i've heard Chicago do. Well done, one of the better songs on the album for sure. By the end of the song, I think every instrument solos.
last song time. How will they end this album!????!!?!?! Huh, they try to give it a Mars: Bringer of War feel. I suppose, if they have brass, why not use them? Ending with a bunch of instrumental tracks is rather Chicago Transit Authority of them Wink
Overall, I think I prefer the first two chicago albums over this one, but the highlights on this album are better than the highlights on the first two. Well worth listening to (if you're into that sort of thing)

Highlights: Sing a Mean Tune Kid, Loneliness is Just a Word, Free, I Don't Need Your Money, An Hour in the Shower Suite, The Approaching Storm
Lowlights: What Else Can I Say, Flight 602, Free Country, Lowdown, When All The Laughter Dies in Sorrow, Progress?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 pm

lets do a beatles album

Beatles' LOVE (2006)
or is it a beatles album???? i'll never tell ROFL
26 songs oh dear
starts well I suppose, but I've always liked Because so there's that.
nice Get Back, nice Glass Onion, Eleanor Rigby is unchanged for the most part, same with I Am The Walrus
I Want To Hold Your Hand works well in the context I guess.
The Word/everything else is the first great sound collage I would say. The saxes matched up with Drive My Car mmmm
Gnik Nus is just what
Something/Blue Jay Way is just them trying so hard to use harrison songs in one tune, flows well(ish) into
the best song on the album that outro wow
Help comes out of the blue, unchanged too!!
The altered Blackbird works well as an intro to Yesterday I suppose. Well done editting
This demo-sounding version of Strawberry Fields Forever is pretty nice. Better than the original? not really, although the use of piggies at the end is marvelous, along with Hello Goodbye
The combination of Within You Without You and Tomorrow Never Knows is so perfect. This is definitely an example of the sum being better than the parts.
LSD pretty alright nice use of Good Night instrumentals at the end as a transition into Octopus' Garden. One of the better combinations for sure, and it's great when the tune suddenly goes into the minor chorus mmm
This Lady Madonna is SO great. Certainly among the best on the album.
Another attempt to make a song TOO harrison. Tabla doesn't really fit Here Comes The Sun in my eyes, although I do like the ending (The Inner Light)
Come Together is wholy unchanged except for the end where they throw in Dear Prudence in followed by the end of Cry Baby Cry with Eleanor Rigby strings. It would be great if not for the beginning Wink
Revolution never been a fan of this song
Back in the USSR is pretty much the exact same
The use of a WMGGW demo is perfect here. I really like the new inclusion, plus the strings work SO well with the song. This might be on an anthology or something, but this album was my first hearing it.
Day in the Life unchanged except for the removal of weird noise at the end!! well done on improving the song ever so slightly Wink the final note drones on way too long for not ending the album that way
Hey Jude here is super disappointing. Pretty lame piano sound, its only 4 minutes long, it really ends up sounding kind of forced. Like, "Hey, we have to use hey jude but we don't really want to here you go".
However, it flows quite well into Sgt. Pepper's reprise. That transition is probably the best on the album. it actually gives me goosebumps
Ends the cheesiest way possible: A nearly unchanged All You Need Is Love, the only addition is people chanting "WE'RE SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND" at the end and fading into the outro of Good Night and mr. lennon saying something. yeah
Really, I do like the album. It has a nice flow for the most part, and the combinations are pretty unique.

Highlights: Get Back, Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing, Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite et al., Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows, Octopus' Garden, Lady Madonna, While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Lowlights: Gnik Nus, Strawberry Fields Forever, Come Together et al., Revolution

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed May 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Argus by Wishbone Ash (1972)
Considered by quite a few to be one of the better Prog rock releases.
Also, most reviews I've read comment on their use of TWO LEAD GUITARS how rock can you get
First song is 9 minutes long, starts slow and acoustic and beautiful, and then it goes into a more standard 70s rock feel.
Second song is pretty great, starts slow again, but more rocky. It changes into a great jam by the end. The bass makes it feel kind of Rush-like, but with better vocals.
Blowin' Free sure is nice. Has a bit of a poppy feel and a nice melody. It reminds me of early Styx (in a good way!!), although it kind of doesn't fit with the rest of the album as it doesn't change up at all. Has to take a lowlight, but only in relation to the rest of the album.
The King Will Come is probably the most progressive song so far. One thing to note, the entire album has super great harmonies. the whole two lead guitar thing is kind of misleading, but it works definitely. Also, they sure like to jam.
Leaf and Stream is supposed to be slow and beautiful I think, but they have two guitars playing slightly different picking patterns panned to each ear that really give it a chaotic feel. It sure is nice, but if I had to pick a second least-favorite song, it would have to be this one.
Warrior is rather heavy. This album really has some pulse-raising guitar solos thrown in here and there. It makes it sounds a bit newer than it actually is, which I would guess adds to the high reviews it has received by professionals Wink The reason they remind me so much of early Styx has to be the harmonies. One of the guys sounds just like DeYoung.
Warrior flows perfectly into the last song, Throw Down the Sword. It opens pretty lamely, one of my least favorite progressions. but then it becomes great after the intro and the outro solo is, like, the perfect end to the album. Endless, Beautiful, and has one of the greatest and most interesting solo progressions. Great end to a great album.
I was pleasantly surprised with this album, an instant favorite. I would say it's less progressive than people make it sound. It's a really accessible album, and a nice mix of progressive and ROCK.

Highlights: Throw Down the Sword, Sometime World, The King Will Come, Time Was
Lowlights: Blowin' Free, Leaf and Stream

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm

The Electric Prunes by The Electric Prunes (1967)
it's their debut album I've only ever heard Mass in F Minor (which i might have reviewed earlier this month can't remember ROFL) but i loved that one
also this is on the psych essential list
one thing to note is that all of the songs are essentially the same length: 2:45 - 3:05 minutes. there are a few outliers, but this is the case for most of it. How strange
starts with the only song they have a lasting legacy for, Too Much To Dream (Last Night). pretty nice tune. Quite clear this guitar guy loves his tremolo and fuzz pedals.
The bass sure is quiet in the songs, but they make up for it with a really loud guitar. Bangles is a super great tune, random 3/4 sections are always a good idea. Oh wow, there's some organ being played here too, I didn't even notice
Onie is a softer, more ballad-y tune. More tremolo pedal on the lead guitar, but the rhythm guitars are sure nice as well. what a beautiful progression.
next tune is a bit more driving, but nothing too special.
Train for Tomorrow sounds like it has Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane on lead vocals. It starts pretty uninteresting, and then it randomly goes into a jazzy blues section. Surprisingly well done.
Out of no where comes this, like, russian folk song with super fast tremolo. I have no idea if it's organ or guitar. Sure sounds nice.
Get Me to the World on Time has some nice, dull and barely audible tremolo guitar panned to one ear. that mixed with the bass and the other guitars and the drums, wow. I love the atmospheres they set up in these tunes.
About a Quarter to Nine has some inclusion of not-instrument. I just realized the reason for these atmospheres is that every instrument has massive amounts of reverb, which is especially prevalent on the not-instrument usage. The guitar playing is rather simple but melodic in all of these songs.
I think we finally found a lowlight but only because it doesn't fit the album at all. It has harpsichord and strings and no guitar at all. I mean, why. It's a decent song on its own, but in the context of the album it makes no sense at ALL, especially since they ravaged the sound with super reverb.
Luvin' returns to the hard rockin' sounds of some of the earlier tunes, but they incorporate album crackle (unless that's just in the version I have ). The bass is rather uninteresting and kind of does bad things for the tune.
another hard rockin' tune. pretty alright
...this is how they end the album? what in the world. Honky Tonk piano, muted trumpets, no guitar, what. It would be alright I guess if not for being on the album. just....why :'(
Overall, the album blends in with 1967 (if you ignore the bad tunes). The weird guitar effects are great, and the atmospheres are sure nice. but i'm sure you already knew that Wink

Highlights: Bangles, Onie, Train for Tomorrow, Sold to the Highest Bidder, Get me to the World on Time
Lowlights: The King is in the Counting House, The Toonerville Trolley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7689
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu May 03, 2012 11:58 pm

it's may
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 am

...wow

when did that happen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 pm

The Family That Plays Together by Spirit (1968)
This album is very nice. I think I obtained it about 7 months ago.
but for some reason I keep forgetting I have it. The songs are great though
For those of you that don't remember the band name, Spirit is best known for having a song called Taurus that everyone says Jimmy Page blatantly ripped for Stairway to Heaven. That song is not on this album.
As far as psychedelic bands, this one isn't really that psychedelic. They're a bit more normal sounding and have great variation of instrument choices.
Album starts strong with I Got a Line On You. Great stuff
Transitions perfectly into It Shall Be, which has a nice progression and nice not-instruments. two early highlights
Poor Richard is just alright.
Silky Sam has a progression like what I would write, meaning chromatic chords. and for that, I respect it but it's just okay. it also has fuzz bass
Drunkard is a slow ballad with crying strings. The arrangements on this album are quite fantastic, it really sets itself apart from other albums of the time.
Darlin' If is another slower ballad, but I like this one better. The last one is sad, this one is more, um, melancholy I guess.
It's All the Same is a pretty rockin' tune, which is good to hear. nice riff
Jewish is the guy singing in hebrew or something for a while, and then they go into a nice jazzy solo section. I find myself humming this tune all the time for some reason, glad I finally placed it again.
Dream Within a Dream is a rather anthemic tune, but it gets a bit repetitive and kind of not that great
She Smiles is another slower tune, there's a chord change in there I despise. so two lowlights in a row great
Aren't You Glad is, like, the exact chorus of Stranglehold by mr. terrorist himself the Nuge. however, this is good won't get a highlight though do to other better songs Wink
so yeah, nice album, much better than I remembered

Highlights: I Got A Line On You, It Shall Be, It's All The Same, Jewish, Aren't You Glad
Lowlights: Poor Richard, Dream Within a Dream, She Smiles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat May 05, 2012 12:31 pm

a majority of you men can just glaze right over this review

Homecoming by America (1972)
harmony-laden folk rock at a relatively high point
Opens with Ventura Highway, which was the obvious draw for me. What a grand tune.
Second tune has a new lead vocal man on it, and he is quite a bit better sounding than Horse With No Name/Ventura Highway guy. The tune is just okay though.
Don't Cross the River has a very country sounding pickin' pattern on it and some grandiose harmonies. nice song, but it's just so country
Moon Song is fantastic. It's in a similar vein to 60s psych, but with the folk rock tinges and, it ends with them singing in reverse or in a different language, I can't really tell mmm what a tune. I'm pretty sure there's some synth in there too.
Only in Your Heart is sure nice as well. This album is shaping up much better than I thought it might be. Although, they don't really know how to do anything syncopated outside of picking patterns oh wow a backwards guitar solo how out of place. and weird sound effects? goodness, this song was tailored just for me.
Till the Sun Comes Up Again has a nice beautiful progression, albeit a bit sporadic and hard to follow, and it sounds a lot like another song that I can't place.
Cornwall Blank is a slower and kind of bland tune and has ventura highway vocalman on it. It reminds me of a Buckingham Nicks tune, but a bit too uninteresting. Compared to the rest of the album, takes a lowlight. NEVERMIND it speeds up near the end and there's twin solos going on with harmonies and tambourine and panning and wowowowowowowowow what an ending
Head and Heart has some great keyboards, I think it's a fender rhodes but can't tell for sure. Nice harmonies, nice latin percussion, nice keyboards, but there's just something about it that, like it could be better somehow, but I don't know how. hard to describe.
California Revisited hmm, nice tune. the most Rock song on the album.
grrr my Saturn Nights is broken, which is a shame since it's the best "beautiful" song on the album. the harmonies, the piano, the progression. It's like a male version of Sisters of the Moon, great album closer.
pleasantly surprised with this one. Nice stuff.

Highlights: Ventura Highway, Moon Song, Only in Your Heart, Saturn Nights
Lowlights: To Each His Own, Don't Cross the River
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun May 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Gun by Gun (1968)
This band
who are they
not even I know
found them randomly in a sharethread with the poster stating they "should be considered the first heavy metal band"
on another note the album art is done by the guy that did the weird landscapes for Yes albums like Relayer and various other groups
My first discussion of the album is that it GROOVES. I can clearly see the proto-metal discussion, but this has too many not-instruments.
If I hadn't listened to Wishbone Ash and Arthur Brown lately, I wouldn't know how to describe them. But it's like a mix of those two. It is beautiful.
The Drums are not jazzy at all. They are relatively straight and steady. Kind of lame in my mind, but they're probably the main reason for the early metal feel we have here
I won't go into specifics about each song. They're all relatively similar
except for Rupert's Travels. It's an instrumental song that has some clear latin influences. It is amazing, certainly the best
Yellow Cab Man sounds like a song I would do. It has one guitar that is chaotically soloing the ENTIRE song.
If I had to pick a lowlight, I guess it would be The Sad Saga, as it tells a story about a boy killing a bee or something and it has a rather obnoxious progression
This album is great really. Ends with a 11 minute song that starts with a count down using a different language for every number ("ten, nein, ocho...") and then it's just a great jam. This band is sure nice at jamming, has a drum solo in the same vein as In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
So yeah, Great hard rockin' psychedelic rock. I think you guys would like this album, PLUS it's hipster as fuck

Highlights: Rupert's Travels, Yellow Cab Man, Sunshine, Race With The Devil, Take Off
Lowlights: The Sad Saga of the Boy and the Bee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 07, 2012 1:12 pm

let's delve into the world of Folk once again, dear friends

Bryter Layter by Nick Drake (1970)
three new album reviews in a row!? what is the world coming to
this is the album that has the shoeless guitar player on the cover sitting on a stool with a blue background. you'd recognize it.
Nick Drake is most famous for his album Pink Moon, but that album is just him playing acoustic. I think he spent four hours recording the album in total. the lack of instrumentation makes me afraid to try it.
This album actually has compositions and has a backing band. My fave!!!
Opens with an instrumental tune. not bad
Hazey Jane II is pretty alright. I don't know that I enjoy this guy's voice, but we'll see as the album progresses. Nice not-instruments and the like, kind of obnoxious overly-country sounding fingerpicking in parts
At the Chime of a City Clock is nice. What a great progression. plus it has strings nice song for sure. and saxes? rock on sir drake
A fun thing to note is that there's clearly not a cut and dry definition of folk, since P&G is considered Folk but sounds nothing like this. well, I suppose it works the same for rock music. what a fun thinking odyssey we just embarked on.
Hazey Jane I is much better than the first one (AKA hazy jane II). The acoustic work on a lot of these songs is rather hypnotic, I keep phasing in and out during listenings, but that might just be from tiredness Wink It really is a pleasant album
Bryter Layter has nice flutes and is one of the more happy sounding songs so far. It's a bit uptempo as well, nice to hear.
Fly is slower, has some rather lame low-pitched violin or cello work. I would much rather hear highs on violins, personally, but that could be just me the harpsichord is nice.
The longest song on the album time. Poor Boy, wow. It's amazingly jazzy, dat drums and dat piano and dat progression wow. also, it has electric guitar, well done. It has female backing vocals though luckily, they're panned to one ear and relatively quiet and in tune, so they don't detract TOO much from the song. The song is still the best on the album for sure. the song is funny because it doesn't sound like anything else on the album.
Northern Sky has some more piano, but more importantly, vibraphone it sets a great mood, but the tune has this weird middle section though that i'm not too fond of.
Final tune. I wonder how he will end this album. flute and strings, I am thus far happy. oh wow, I think it might be instrumental this works surprisingly well as an ending then. YES they change up the progression for the last half of the tune yes yes yes best ending
I am pleasantly surprised with this album. I will definitely check out other works of his.

Highlights: At the Chime of a City Clock, Hazey Jane I, Bryter Layter, Poor Boy, Sunday
Lowlights: Hazey Jane II, Fly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue May 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Wolfgang's Big Night Out by The Brian Setzer Orchestra (2007)
Brian Setzer? what a guy
this album is made up of covers of classical tunes (and then God Bless Ye Merry Gentlemen out of nowhere), just done in the BSO style Wink
and they do a great job at it
There are only two songs with vocals, one of which is just female background singers just going "BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ STING". sometimes instrumentals are the best options, seriously
Take the 5th opens the album with one of the more famous classical tunes, Beethoven's Fifth. It goes on much too long, but it has some nice soloing.
One More Night With You is probably the best song on the album. It takes Hall of the Mountain King and grooves it up, and also there is singing. Marvelous tune.
From here we just go through a slew of (mostly) forgettable tunes. I mean, he is certainly creative with his takes on the classical tunes, but the whole instrumental thing and them all being jazzy and kind of long makes the songs blend together, especially if someone wasn't familiar with the songs initially
Notable highlights are For Lisa and Some River in Europe, which start slow and then build and utilize not-normal instruments for BSO (like clarinet!!)
Honey Man hmm, the song is so rockin' but the background vocals gaaaah could go either way on it
Sabre Dance doesn't have Brian Setzer creditted at all, claiming it's a straight cover. It kind of is, but with SHRED. a nice cover, but i've never really been a fan of the tune in the first place
Final song is, like, wow. Mr. Setzer solos for like 2 minutes straight using WAH PEDAL. it's fantastic. there are goosebump-inducing chord changes in the middle as well.
the Title Track is the most jazzy cover of a song, the walking basslines and the soloing mmm certainly one of the better variations on a tune.
The most boring songs are Swingin' Willie, a cover of the William Tell Overture. I didn't think it was possible to make that song bad, but this is pretty lame indeed.
1812 Overdrive is also quite uninspired and lame.
As you have surely noticed, the biggest atrocity of the album is the song titles. Just, why.

Highlights: One More Night With You, For Lisa, Some River in Europe, Take a Break Guys, Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Lowlights: Swingin' Willie, 1812 Overdrive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Music On My Mind by Stevie Wonder (1972)
Green and I visited Innervisions in March (?) and I loved it then and it got better with every listen. I figured it's only natural we continue on with that artist.
Mr. Wonder has I think two other albums like Innervisions. This one is the earliest released of those (AKA his first album with synthesizers)
Looking around on wikipedia, this song peaked at No. 6 on the black album charts. I wish i knew more about race and music post 1964, sounds like an interesting subject.
First song is super synthy, as expected from dr. stevie. It's much too long, but it's funky enough that it doesn't FEEL like it's 7 minutes long. The background singers kind of muddle things up, but overall it has a nice feel.
Superwoman is a bit slower, there's weak tremolo on the two panned keyboards, giving a really hypnotic effect. It's a pretty nice song. It's technically 8 minutes long and transitions into a very different song after like 3 minutes, but on this version the two songs are divided up. We'll judge them together though Wink
so yeah Where Were You When I Needed You has some great vocals, it's slower yet than Superwoman, and has a great progression. Fantastic tune, propels the whole song into highlight territory. There's also a guitar solo oh wow, this song was the best selling single from the album well done
Oh boy, more panning electric piano. synth bass mmm this is sure great. What a catchy chorus line, nice vocals as always. Although, the mood of the album hasn't really changed since we hit Superwoman, and it's kind of getting stale, if you catch me here.
Mood officially changed. Sweet Little Girl is kind of honky-tonk sounding. Nice piano work, harmonica works well I suppose, but it's definitely my least favorite up to this point. oh lord, there's a cheesy speaking part where I think he's trying to sound drunk why why why why this song is much too long.
Happier Than the Morning Sun is marvelous. the Harmonies (love) there's also this marvelous like double tracking on his vocals that makes it sound more echoey and mmm nice tune, and the keyboards give it a baroque pop feel, which is neat for Stevie Wonder
Girl Blue has very strange sounding verses, and then nice choruses. This is a very meloncholy song in general. Not sure i'm a big fan of it.
Seems So Long starts very spacey sounding, has some real nice vintage organ sounds on it, then it turns into a slow and pretty soulful ballad.
Keep On Running is upbeat and groovy and funky and driving and is great. However, it would be much better if it was half the length since the last three minutes are the same thing over and over again, and it's 6 minutes long!! highlight regardless
An actual piano oh dear, but a super cheesy sounding synth on top why. As far as the ballads on this album goes, this one is far and away the best one. What a vocal performance, Wonder's voice is so nice eh. Great way to end the album.
Overall, this album isn't as good as Innervisions. There really aren't many standout songs, but Innervisions grew on me so we'll see if this does too. Also, this album has songs that are quite long, much longer than necessary quite often. oh well.

Highlights: Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You), Happier Than the Morning Sun, Keep On Running, Evil
Lowlights: Sweet Little Girl, Girl Blue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Histoire de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg (1971)
those frenchies man
I found this a while ago in my search for more groovy french music after Shake Sauvage was so glorious.
The first song is groovy backing music with some super cheesy spoken word over top, all in french.
Wikipedia has told me that the album is a concept/storytelling album about a Lolita type event, where the album protagonist (a 40 year old guy or something) hits a little girl (melody nelson) with his car, and after nursing her back to health, they fall in love and bang. what a story
About 3/5ths into the first song Strings come in and man do they change the feeling for the better. I wish I could understand the lyrics though, i feel like the strings are punctuating the words. What a groovy tune.
I've decided to use google translate in a botched attempt to understand what's going on. Second song finally has some singing, with both protagonist and Miss Nelson. I think it's just him describing how beautiful Nelson is, also he catches her naked for a moment and is happy Wink kind of an okay song.
Third song isn't my favorite. literally translated I think it means Waltz for Melody, and the lyrics describe how he's unhappy with his life I think. It's reflected in the sound of the tune.
I have no idea what the fourth song is about. It sounds alright, but google translate has given us this for lyrics:
"Ah Melody
Thou hast brought me to fuck
Hue Hue and Ho
A hobby horse on my back"
does he have blue balls? hard to tell. Not a bad sounding tune.
Fifth Tune has a dark but sexy vibe to it. I can only imagine the sex is about to start. Ah, he is describing the room he is about to have sex with her in. The lyrics are rather poetic, despite what they're about. The strings really sound great here. the song ends with the lyric "I embrace Melody" and then they have some porno music start for another minute before we reach the climax I believe:
En Melody. "In Melody" for those of you who can't read french. Man does this song groove. Those frenchies sure know how to make orgy music. primarily instrumental, aside from some woman's moanings Wink, and then some spoken word at the end about Melody wanting to take a plane somewhere. Is it a sexual innuendo? I know not.
The last song is the exact same progression and length as the first tune. Way to bookend that album so hard mr. Gainsbourg. The differences are pretty great though, as the first one has strings and this one has a choir of angels and timpani mmm.
.....oh um. apparently melody flew to south africa and the plane crashed on the way and she died. the lyrics are mr. protagonist praying that the african tribal men and women take good care of her if she happened to live. wat.
kind of a funny album. not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Highlights: Melody, L'hotel Particulier, En Melody, Cargo Culte
Lowlights: Ballad de Melody Nelson, Valse de Melody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm

and you thought yesterday was bad Wink

Morgen by Morgen (1969)
There is no wikipedia article on the band, least of all the album.
from my reading, this was the only album they released, and then the musicians disappeared into obscurity.
Various reviews I've read of this album are all positive, many going so far as to say they're probably the best undiscovered psychedelic band of the late 60s.
They got some neat drumming and fuzzy guitars. Singer is pretty so-so
First song is pretty just alright. I like the sound of the band, but not a fantastic fan of this song itself.
Of Dreams is, well, rather druggy. I think they pitch shifted mr. man's voice as it sounds SO high. the bass feel is so nice, kind of like Tomorrow Never Knows but less indian and lennon-y. I rather like it, the guitar licks are nice.
Beggin' Your Pardon is sure nice as well. This album is surprisingly good thus far. got some really rattly fuzz bass going on and nice steady drums.
Eternity in Between finally gets us some harmonies. This band is surprisingly driving and rockin', I think this is what they consider "Garage Rock" Wink maybe someday I can know the answer but that day is certainly not this glorious May day. Ends with a drum solo and then glorious feedback solos, reminds me of If 6 Was 9 in GOOD WAYS
a song called Purple hmmm starts pretty noisy let's hope it changes hoora it does and for the much better. Definitely the grooviest and best song thus far.
She's the Nitetime is quite good again. This album is really shaping up to be amazing. compared to the other songs, it must receive a lowlight however.
Love, what a song title, AND it's ten minutes long AND it's the final song. starts out kind of like White Rabbit, and then they get some dueling bass and it grows quite nicely. we reach a nice, kind of slow jam section goes on for a whi-WOW walking bass lines and rockabilly drums out of no where wow the goosebumps autohighlight well the soloing is done this now reminds me of the doors somehow, minus over the top keyboards.
Basically, this band is the combination of every good aspect of the best Psychedelic bands, but with slightly worse vocals. 9.6 BNM

Highlights: Of Dreams, Beggin' Your Pardon (Miss Joan), Purple, Love
Lowlights: Welcome to the Void, She's the Nitetime
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat May 12, 2012 7:11 pm

i've been on a McLaughlin phase lately, so let's return to some of this better work

The Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra (1971)
Probably the most chaotic, unique, and fantastic Jazz Fusion album ever.
They have a great drummer, a great guitarman, a great keyboard man, and a violin player
I doubt a lot of people think of this album when jazz comes to mind, but it's clearly an improvement over the jazz fusion available in the early 70s (miles davis, the list goes on)
First song is good indicator of what's to come.
Dawn is a slower tune, works well. Keyboard work is nice on this one.
Noonward Race is probably the most cohesive and accessible song on the album. It's relatively straight forward rock (in comparison to the rest of the album), and it's super upbeat and rather happy sounding.
A Lotus on Irish Streams is rather unbearable, especially after Noonward Race. It's so slow and uninteresting, the only saving grace for the song is the super fast acoustic shredding going on. Certainly a lowlight.
Vital Transformation is another upbeat tune, but in like 9/4. It's so non-standard and fast and great and mmmmm
The Dance of the Maya is rather Miles Davis sounding, minus the trumpets. Kind of too long and doesn't really go anywhere, but it works well despite all that. Kind of weird.
You Know, You Know is slower and jammier than the last tune, but also shorter. Good relaxed groove, steady tune.
Last song is just WOW. worth the entire album.
I do enjoy this one, and I lately got their other famous album, so we'll see how things go. Wink

Highlights: Noonward Race, Vital Transformation, Awakening
Lowlights: A Lotus on Irish Streams, Dawn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun May 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Magick Brother by Gong (1970)
Despite being from 1970, this album is on the 60s psych essentials list. It was recorded in 1969 though!!!
Gong are better known for their humourous progressive albums later in their career, but this album is supposedly straight from the 60s. Let's listen on.
First song starts with weird noise, but then turns into a rather groovy tune with some neat bongo work. I do love bongos in my rock tunes.
This album certainly has less instrumentation than the only other Gong album I've listened to, but the sound here is very nice. I do enjoy this album thus far. Very interesting stuff here.
Rational Anthem is pretty lame, just slow and dissonant and otherwise uninteresting still.
Chainstore Chant starts with them singing "POCKETS FULL OF BLOOD" over and over and then it turns into an alright song, but the vocals keep shorting the mic and it kind of sounds pretty badly produced, and it kind of drags on.
I AM A GIGANTIC FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE of a Fredfish starts with some funny splices of what sounds like TV shows and tv show theme songs. This song has some neat panning once it turns into the actual song, but it's, once again, rather uninteresting. All of the aspects of Gong I enjoyed before are gone on this album. :'( but alas, we must carry on.
Ego was pretty alright. One of the better.
Gongsong is slow, starts with a monologue about the song being told him by an alien from the planet Gong. oh wow, it gets better as it goes along.
Lordy, Princess Dreaming has some pretty lame dissonant noises to start. continues this way whyyyyy
5 & 20 Schoolgirls actually has a jam in it way to finally be cool men
Last song is fairly ambient. Kind of lame, although it has its moments.
which can be used to describe the entire album!! way to sum it up sir Gong.

Highlights: Mystic Sister/Magick Brother, Ego, Gongsong, 5 & 20 Schoolgirls
Lowlights: Rational Anthem, Chainstore Chant/Little Miss Titty, Princess Dreaming
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Sheer Heart Attack by Queen (1974)
Sheer Heart Attack
what an album
depending on the day I will say this or Queen II is their best album. unfortunately this one has one bad song
that song is She Makes Me. Why May Why
i'm getting ahead of myself now
It opens with a great one, or at least I think so. Some people have called it "shit" or "self-indulgent wankery" but I must disagree Wink
Killer Queen is still good, despite the old factor. well done
Tenement Funster hmmm it opens the nice suite of songs but it's kind of lame
the next two songs though wow what tunes
Flick of the Wrist is a bit better than Lily of the Valley, but I love both of them
Now I'm Here is so not-Queen. I feel like it doesn't fit at all, but I guess it's okay
In The Lap of The Gods that falsetto man and the vocal effects, the chord progression by the end is so great.
Stone Cold Crazy one of the better i mean that rapping and the METAL and yeah
Dear Friends is so fillery, but I still like it.
Misfire is a nice catchy little tune that's just kind of fun. Doesn't really add or take away from the album as a WHOLE
Bring Back that Leroy Brown mmmmmmm
SHE MAKES ME
and last tune is great, ends the album quite anthemically
yeah nice one.

Highlights: Brighton Rock, Flick of the Wrist, Stone Cold Crazy, Bring Back That Leroy Brown
Lowlights: She Makes Me, Tenement Funster, Now I'm Here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 4:28 pm

she makes me is fine you wanker
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 pm

but it's certainly the worst on the album

even you cannot deny such things
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 8:13 pm

you say that like the following songs are not on the album:
IN THE LAP OF THE GODS
IN THE LAP OF THE GODS REVISITED
DEAR FRIENDS
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

but in the lap of the gods has those nice chords at the end and

in the lap of the gods revisited has the amazing verses

you got me on dear friends though. Still not as bad as she makes me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 pm

there is nothing wrong with any of those songs
but there is even less wrong with she makes me
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 pm

but she makes me is so
so
just
so
just lame
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 am

i see no difference between it and dear friends
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 am

atleast dear friends doesn't try too hard

it knows that it really shouldn't be there, so it accepts the role humbly and we move on

she makes me is way too long and the sound collageing at the end is just too much and it's just overall TOO MUCH
Back to top Go down
View user profile

small times for formidable people
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next