ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

small times for formidable people

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1056
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 pm

The Who Sell Out by The Who (1967)
A very interesting album.
Between every song is a sampled theme from a radio program or old-timey advert. It really makes it sound neat.
starts with Armenia City in the Sky which is very psychedelic. The vocals sound pitch shifted to be higher. Plenty of panned trumpet with weird effects on it. Not sure if I really like it or not.
Second song sounds like it should be an ad, but it's actually a song. Kind of funny. "What's for tea darling?" "HEINZ BAKED BEANS"
Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand is pretty folky. It has a spanish percussion instrument that I knew from band as "the fish" being played throughout. sounds kind of out place in the song, but whatever. Nice harmonies.
Odorono has Sir Townshend on lead vocals. The progression is rather zombies-ish, just missing some harpsichord.
Tattoo has some neat acoustic work. The lyrics on this album are much more story-oriented, possibly leading up to their next album tommy????????????? probably ROFL
Our Love Was is pretty catchy and has a great mix between clean and distorted guitar work. I could see this song making it big on today's market Wink great stuff
I Can See For Miles is easily the best song up to this point. I don't know why but I really love this song.
I Can't Reach You sounds like a number from a musical or something. This album really works as a precursor to Tommy.
Medac is another one of them that is supposed to be an advert or something.
Relax has some nice keyboard work, which upon further review is done by Al Kooper!!! (he would later go on to form Blood Sweat & Tears Wink) Kind of a bland song, sounds like tons of other 60s songs.
Silas Stingy is another story song, but this one about a guy who LOVES MONEY luckily he learns his lesson and loses all of it hooray still probably the worst song on the album.
Sunrise is a pretty beautiful song with nice acoustic work and a wonderful evolving progression. It's almost progressive also, I think there's an early glimpse of Pinball Wizard in here.
Album ends with the longest song, called Rael. It kind of reminds me of something the Beach Boys would do, sort of progressive sunshine pop. It's also about a general in the war I think. the album splits it into two songs (Rael 1 & 2), both are great.
This album is pretty alright. Nothing really sticks out as being amazing, but nothing is bad by any stretch of the imagination. I would call this album a pretty safe decision, but you don't gain much from it.

Highlights: I Can See For Miles, Our Love Was, Sunrise, Rael 1 & 2
Lowlights: Silas Stingy, Relax
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Led Zeppelin IV (ZOFO) (old man with STICKS) by Led Zeppelin (1971)
Technically, I've never listened to this album as intended. However, I have heard every song in some form or another so it'll be hard to get past the "old" factor.
ESPECIALLY on the first song. Black Dog is great and all, but it's like everyone's first classic rock tune. Seems like a decent starting point for the album.
Rock & Roll hmm. Always a good tune. I just realized how bad the guitar solo is though (hehe) but that piano mmm
Battle of Evermore, hmm. I've only ever heard a live version of this, and I really like this version, especially the intro. hmm, the vocals are a bit annoying. There's no depth to the instrumentation at all though, there's only a bit of bass-y acoustic ramblin' happening in the right channel, which fails to balance the abundance of high singing and mandolin stuff. I really like this song though, very well done.
Ah, the ever infamous Stairway to Heaven. Luckily, I still like it despite its overplayedness. The beginning proves that Recorders can be used in not-annoying ways as well, which is certainly a crowning achievement for music. Really listening to it, you'll notice the astounding use of Fender Rhodes in there mmmm can't believe I never noticed it before.
After a successful side A, let's see what we get on the second side. Most Led Zeppelin albums suffer from a bad second side compared to the first.
Starts well enough. I've always enjoyed Misty Mountain Hop, even though I know a few people who don't. It fits well along with tunes like Black Dog and Rock & Roll.
Four Sticks is probably the first not-as great song so far. I mean it's pretty groovy but it's not as good as it could have been Wink
I've never really been a fan of Going to California. Too slow and uninteresting for me.
When the Levee Breaks is pretty alright. It kind of drags on and has some annoying parts, has to go as a lowlight.
This album was surprisingly easy to endure. Not bad, men.

Highlights: Rock & Roll, Black Dog, Battle of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven
Lowlights: Going to California, When the Levee Breaks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Children of the Future by Steve Miller Band (1968)
Everyone knows Steve Miller for his excellent use of standard acoustic-ish based pop tunes with amazing harmonies.
However, they take a much more psychedelic approach in their debut album. It did come out in 1968 after all!!
Starts with the album track. Starts with dissonance and noise, like any 60s album should Wink the whole thing is in falsetto I think, but it still has the standard miller-layered harmonies. Pretty great song. Nice organ sound
Flows seamlessly into the next tune, which is 30 seconds long. It's a bit more clear that his voice is under-developed at this point, but still sounds good.
another seamless transition, this time into a minute long song. They all kind of sound the same
In My First Mind has mellotron strings, which sound amazing. It's also a bit slower, which is well received. Oh, it's also 7 minutes long, let's see where he goes with this. There are some nice progressive elements here, it might just be the mellotron, but it sounds quite a bit like King Crimson. His voice is a little lacklustre here, It's nice to see he really improves as the years go along. oh wow, a real nice high. This song is kind of going on for longer than it ought, I think, but I still love it.
another transition into what appears to be a sound collage. we've got some droning lows on the organ while there are sounds of people walking by...then suddenly they go into a blues shuffle. there are still weird noises in the background. This is quite the experience. backward drums? sure. Blues stuff ends and they go into a choral "children of the future" thing. Not a big fan of the song in general.
Baby's Callin' Me Home has some nice harpsichord, and the mixture of acoustic chordings really gives it a nice sound. lazy feel to the singing, sounds good.
Steppin' Stone is pretty groovy. a much more standard blues rocker, all the vocals are panned to the right channel which kind of sounds weird. Wah solo guitar panned to the left channel, but it starts moving around during the solo. those hippies and their panning Wink
Roll With It has some of the grittier singing. Starts alright, but gets kind of annoying sounding. Great solo section though. Certainly gets better by the end.
Junior Saw It Happen doesn't sound like sir miller on vocals, but it's the most uptempo song so far and it's great!!
More blues Rock oh boy. This time with harmonica for authenticity! Standard blues tunes get old after a while. There is quite a difference between the first half of the album and the second half. Let's see how they end it.
Blues harmonica solo. Slow and sad blues. I'm not sure if I can sit through this. Yeah, there's six minutes of this shit why am I here.
so, as you can see, this album is like they found a new band for the second half. The good tunes are great, and the bad tunes are bad. I feel like I ought to see where they go next, so I'll probably try another, but be warned about this one.

Highlights: Children of the Future, In My First Mind, Steppin' Stone, Junior Saw It Happen
Lowlights: The Beauty of the Time is That It's Snowing (Psychedelic B.B.), Fanny Mae, Key to the Highway
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

There's a Riot Goin' On by Sly & The Family Stone (1971)
Considered to be one of the darker releases by Sly & his homies. Lots of reviews call it depressing political commentary
Supposedly sir Sly was at the height of his drug addiction at this point too hmm
I've only ever listened to the album Stand! by this group, and that one is pretty funky, but a lot of the tunes were a bit too annoying for me. I might review it next month Wink
Starts with Luv N' Haight, which is a funky jam. I have a feeling Green will dislike the female backing vocals (hehe) the guitar is pretty neat, and it is certainly a bit of a dark funk.
Just Like A Baby seems like a slow ballad to start. The mellow organ work in conjunction with the bass really works. The weird effects on the vocals are nice. I could certainly get high to this song.
Poet is the first happy-ish sounding tune, but I wish I could understand the vocals. He is doing a good job of mumbling. I love the layered keyboard effects.
Family Affair has some very well thought out lyrics in the chorus (hehe) the drums are great, the progression is pretty alright.
Africa Talks to You "The Asphalt Jungle" is kind of weird. you can't tell what notes the bass are playing at all. There's also a drum machine. It's also 7 minutes long. It's also pretty boring.
Brave & Strong has some nice highs and it sure grooves. Well done.
Smilin' is pretty obnoxious. The singing shorts out the mic left and right, the progression isn't my favorite either. The middle section is pretty alright, but the rest
More drum machine? hmm let's see how this goes. I kind of like the progression and feel of the song, but the cheesy keyboard sounds are too much (hehe) the song is just ridiculous enough it's great
Spaced Cowboy has more drum machines oh boy. wow, another ridiculous song. the yodelling is just going overboard now.
Oh boy a good song!! Not really a fan of the female vocalist, but the horns and sax work so nice here and the guitar is so great.
Thank You For Talkin' to Me Africa is just a slower, grittier version of their well known song Thank Ya Fawlettin' etc. Pretty interesting, but way too long.
Overall, I wasn't too impressed with the album as a whole. I might even go so far as to say the album is overrated. MIGHT

Highlights: Just Like A Baby, Luv N' Haight, Brave & Strong, Runnin' Away
Lowlights: Family Affair, Africa Talks to You "The Asphalt Jungle", (You Caught Me) Smilin'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Disraeli Gears by Cream (1967)
Considered by a lot of people to be, like, THE psychedelic rock album. I must humbly disagree
I mean sure, it's got some aspects of psychedelia, mostly in the drums. Sir Baker sure likes to rape those toms and isn't a big fan of those snares.
Also, supposedly this album birthed the popularity of the wah pedal. My guess is that Hendrix's over-the-top use of the pedal was a bigger influence than Clapton's more restrained use here.
My favorite entity on the album is mr. Bruce on lead vocals. When he wails, man does he have a nice sound.
There's really only one bad song on here, which has mr. drummer on lead vocals. It does nothing for me and kind of ruins all known moods set up to that point.
If I had to pick another lowlight, it would certainly be Dance the Night Away. It's just so minor and dissonant and I don't particularly like it.
Highlights include the opening track, Strange Brew for super grooviness. It seems like this song plays during ever weed scene of every movie ever.
Sunshine of Your Love kind of burnt out for me on GH3, but I can learn to respect it listening to it more than playing. plus that duet mmm
Tales of Brave Ulysses has one of the better, um, feels I suppose. Nice use of Wah and the progression is one of the better. Plus the vocals tell a story which is always nice.
My favorite song on the album though is definitely Swlabr. I mean wow. plus those highs mmmmmm
The album ends in kind of a mediocre limbo, and then the last track is pretty funny but not good enough to warrant a highlight Wink
Sure, the album is great. But I certainly wouldn't list it in my top 10 60s albums, let alone best album ever.

Highlights: Swlabr, Tales of Brave Ulysses, Strange Brew, Sunshine of Your Love
Lowlights: Blue Condition, Dance the Night Away
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Highway 61 Revisisted by Bob Dylan (1965)
Time to bite the bullet and try out this Dylan guy.
Starts with the ever popular Like a Rolling Stone. I've always liked the tune. Has some nice honky tonk piano in conjunction with organ riffin' and his voice is nice here.
Tombstone Blues is much more upbeat, which is very nice to hear. The drums are kind of annoying but the combination of organ and acoustic is nice.
Next tune is kind of lame. It's got a bit of a Like a Rolling Stone feel to it, but much slower and much more basic-bluesier. I suppose it's alright, but we'll see how it fares compared to the rest of the album Wink
From a Buick 6 is a bit more upbeat, but it's got a bit of an annoying bass line. Not sure I like it much.
Ballad of a Thin Man has a progression nearly identical to a song by Procol Harem, although this came out first. Kind of interestingly done, I think I like it.
Queen Jane Approximately is alright I suppose. not a super fan, pretty lacklustre and uninteresting compared to some of the previous stuff.
I can already tell I'm gonna love the title track. driving drums, some kazoo thing or a whistle or something, and the organ is super wow. Great song here.
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues sounds like pretty much every other song on the album. We can forgive it for trying to blend in. Not good or bad.
Last song on the album is 11 minutes long. Knowing mr. dylan, that means the same progression endlessly with a lyrical story painted. The song is just a bit too sad, but it doesn't really get old despite the fact that it's the same thing over and over. another not great but not bad song.
Overall, I was less than impressed. I guess folk music isn't my thing.

Highlights: Like a Rolling Stone, Tombstone Blues, Highway 61 Revisited
Lowlights: Queen jane Approximately, It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:08 am

For anyone interested in any aspect of psychedelic exploration:

here is a checklist I found on the /mu/-essential website. I have marked it for the purpose of sharing my opinions.

Red means either I wouldn't listen to it again or the album isn't really worth anyone's time.
Blue means I would listen to it again, but I'm not in any particular hurry to do so.
Green means I would listen to it anytime.
Yellow X marks the five best albums I've heard on the list so far. I would recommend these to anyone, regardless of their interest in the genre.

if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to elaborate Wink

so here we go:

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:12 pm

GAH
lost my review so now no one gets one

Album by Band (year)
background information
filler
first song
stuff
wow
this sounds good
lacklustre
weird
big men
great
conclusion

Highlights: The first song, the one with the sax solo, song with harmonies, song that sounds like no one would like it, the song everyone hates for irony
Lowlights: The song everyone knows, the one with electronic effects, and that one with the clashing organ guitar sound that makes it sound dreadful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Changed my mind, here we go

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown by Arthur Brown (1968)
This guy is, indeed, quite crazy.
The album is pretty dark, probably one of the most depressing sounding albums among the psychedelic movement.
Another unique quality of this album is that it has HIGHS and SCREAMING. Think gillan but singing along with 60s keyboard licks and high treble basslines. he likes to sing normal for a while, and then randomly jump up an octave or two. It's great and an amazing surprise for the time period.
Starts strong and really lets you know what you're in for.
second song starts with a trumpet fanfare and then mr. brown starts reciting a poem over a groovy uptempo jam.
Fire is the only song these guys are known for, but I don't particularly like it. Too rigid and boring for me.
Come and Buy is a slow brooding song before these sporadic quick verses in which singerman can't really keep up with the instruments. it goes silent and then goes back to the theme from the first song.
Time/Confusion is a slow, sad, very bluesy sounding song but without the stereotypical blues progression. I don't really know how to describe it, but it certainly fits. By the end it speeds up into a very almost metal-sounding outro.
I Put a Spell On You is a very vocal centered, bluesy ballad. It takes the good things about Time/Confusion and makes them better. splendid
Spontaneous Apple Creation has some neat xylophone work and some really driving drums, but it's made very strange by sir singerman reciting another poem. the organ is super dissonant and there's no real progression.
Rest Cure is happy sounding and simple and...normal. It doesn't really fit at all. Not bad though.
Now mr. brown is covering James Brown. Very well done. I like this Arthur Brown guy.
Last song is seven minutes long, and has many different sections. Has kind of a James Bond feel to it. Pretty nice tune.
Overall, this album was quite impressive. Arthur Brown certainly has quirkiness and spunkiness, and he's super entertaining. I loved this album.

Highlights: Prelude/Nightmare, Fanfare/Poem, I Put a Spell On You, I've Got Money
Lowlights: Fire, Spontaneous Apple Creation, Come and Buy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:01 pm

sure, let's do a beatles album

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles (1967)
best album ever!!!!!! (says rolling stone magazine)
I have to admit, it is quite good. But there is too much mediocrity on it to be the best album ever created.
Aside from the mediocre tunes, the rest of the album is superb. They cover their bases as far as varying stuff throughout
The songs I would consider lowlights are Getting Better, Fixing a Hole, and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite. However, the last one there has certainly grown on me over the year(s). Depending on the day, Within You Without You could be a lowlight, but it's too inconsistently (dis)liked and it helped create the second best song on LOVE so there's that.
Highlights hmm.
She's Leaving Home has been one of my favorite Beatles song ever for a while. Certainly goes as best song on the album. Unfortunately, after hearing stringed instrumentation on other albums, it doesn't really reverberate in my soul like it used to.
Good Morning Good Morning is one of the more astounding Beatles songs. i mean those saxes.
Lovely Rita has DAT PIANO solo which is nice. good tune.
Rounding off the highlights comes the first two tracks in succession. BECAUSE THEY WERE MEANT THAT WAY
seriously, I've always wondered why people consider this a concept album still. Only the first two songs make the concept. and then they do a more ROCK version of the first song later. It's really not a concept album
also, the reprise is great can't believe I forgot it.
also, A Day in the Life is pretty just okay. I've never really gotten everyone loving it, but music is subjective so Wink

Highlights: She's Leaving Home, Good Morning Good Morning, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, With a Little Help From my Friends, Lovely Rita, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Lowlights: Getting Better, Fixing a Hole, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7685
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

A Day in the Life is really helped emotion-wise by the whole Paul is dead thing. You know.
I used to love She's Leaving Home, but it's pretty annoying now.
And Fixing a Hole is certainly among the best on the album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 pm

De-loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta (2003)
This was, like, the second album I ever downloaded about 3 years ago, and I disliked it then. My taste has evolved drastically since then, so we'll see how it goes now.
Starts slow, then there is RIFFIN' before the second song.
Second song is quite all over the place. It starts great, and then there's a middle section where sir Bixler-Zavala loses his great voice tone and I kind of dislike it. But the organ work mmm
speaking of organ work, nice intro sir song 3. Shame it kind of devolves into relatively lame alt rock stuff everyonce in a while. This tune is so much more ROCK than the last one, and it does it well. the shredding in this tune is nice. In the middle they go into a super lame section (EXOSKELETAL etc.)
hard to pick highlights and lowlights on this since every song is so schizophrenic that I'll love parts and hate parts of the same song. So let's not worry about it Wink
song 4 time. Acoustic riffin' at the beginning sure is nice. oh it's an instrumental lead into the next song oh
Drunkship of Lanterns, I only know of this song because it was in the top 100 of some Rolling Stone Magazine list of greatest guitar songs or something. In reality, any TMV song could make that list, sir omar is all over the place in his guitar effect usage. This song probably has the most consistent good, but the best moments aren't as good as the best moments in song 2 or 3.
Eriatarka has the jazziest progression and has some nice barely-audible xylophone work, but the vocals are the most whiny and the guitar makes it sound incredibly dissonant. If I had to pick a lowlight, it would be this song. It goes into an awful awful ROCK part every once in a while. okay, time to reopen highlights and lowlights just for this song
Now we enter what I can only hope is the peak of the album since it's 12 minutes long. also, it has mr. frusciante playing guitar also, I guess Flea played bass on pretty much the whole album. This song does indeed have some of the better guitar sounds, but the progression is so standard and it sounds like lame metal. get it it's a redundancy hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahhaahahahaha wow an organ solo must be the best song hmm 6 minutes in we hit an ambient make-the-weirdest-synth-effects-you-can section. this goes on until 9:30 where we hit a nice latin solo section with dueling guitar solos this solo section is probably the best moment on the album so far. dat drums
still can't make it a highlight since the chorus of the song is so shit
nothing special about, um, song 8? I've lost track.
I can't really place what it is about a lot of the melodies I dislike. The songs all have nice solo sections, and generally when there's no singing they sound great, but as soon as sir Bixlerboy comes in, they instantly change to sound bad. It's the strangest thing.
Televators is a slow tune, and it sounds a bit too normal for the album. I am expecting an unexpected change. Takes a while, but bongos and neat acoustic work happens. for 6 minutes long, this song never really gets boring and sounds decent enough. Definitely takes the cake as most consistently good song on the album.
Well, I wonder how they end this album. So far, pretty lame. oh wow, we have reached a chaotic noise section. This song is pretty lame in general. Also, I think I placed why i dislike them: They use too many minor and diminished chords. why not try a major chord bros Wink
The album is a bit heavier than I usually go for, which I was totally expecting. Having only listened to Bedlam and bits and pieces of Frances the Mute, this album is a bit less heavy and more jammy I would say. Certainly more accessible to the masses than Bedlam and Frances, but it is certainly my least favorite of the three.

Highlights: There's at least one good moment in every song I would say
Lowlights: Eriatarka
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly (1968)
One of the biggest poster child albums of psychedelic rock.
Mr. Singerman has one of the strangest voices. I really can't place what it is about it, but he just sounds so unique. It works, I suppose.
also interesting is the guitarman, as he uses one of the most obnoxiously loud distortion effects. It rivals Mk 1 deep purple guitar tone for the raunchiest and dirtiest sounding guitar playing.
First song is a strong opener. Nothing really worth commenting on.
Second song is surprisingly poppy and happy sounding. Not sure if I like it too much compared to the other songs.
My Mirage is kind of a baroque poppy sounding thing but it has pretty groovy verses. One of the better tunes on the album.
Termination is surprisingly bouncy and, um, happy I suppose considering the subject matter of the tune.
Are You Happy takes the cake for worst song on the album. Obnoxious opening chords, has a nice upbeat verse, but the singing is pretty awful.
Ends with the biggest, strongest, and longest song on the album. Clocking in at 17 minutes long, what a tune. What a riff. I could see people hating the song, but I love it so TAKE THAT.

Highlights: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, My Mirage
Lowlights: Are You Happy, Flowers and Beads
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 pm

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon (1970)
I'm a bit wary of listening to a solo lennon album, but here we go anyway.
Starts with church bells wow this sounds like a song that would be sung at the point in a movie where sir protagonist has just lost everything and is drinking himself in to a drunken depression while walking through the rain at night. lennon's voice is pretty, um, weak for the first half, and then he goes into weird guttural relative-highs. The end kind of drags on.
Now that our protagonist has hit his lows, Hold On is an angel coming to sir leadman's side out of tremolo-guitar-riff heaven to make him feel better. I like it better than Mother.
Third song is pretty rock. The guitar has a really strange distortion on it, but the groovacious bass lines make it a highlight
Working Class Hero, wow. Lyrics aren't really my thing so this song is kind of obnoxious. It's only 3.5 minutes long but it feels much longer.
The piano intro on Isolation wow. Overall a nice tune, but the slightly echoed voice on his pitch shifts up are kind of...unsettling. I might have to use that effect sometime.
Remember has a kind of strange feel to it in that it sounds like it's kind of progressive but it's really not. I don't know whether I like it or not. Oh wait, this middle section is pretty great well done.
Love sure sounds beautiful. It got a nice classical feel to it, but the super corny lyrics are kind of detracting from the tune. The chord changes are completely unpredictable, and I think it might be my favorite on the album up to this point.
Oh boy, more rock and kind of bad distortion. Echo effect on the drums!? oh lordy. Not sure if I like the tune. The empty verses give it a strange feel that I don't know that I like. The ending is pretty okay and his screams start out nice and then kind of get lame by the end. yeah, not sure I like it.
Look at Me sounds like a tune I would like, but something about it isn't really hitting me. Sounds like it could have been pulled straight off of the White Album.
God has Billy Preston on piano, which automatically gives me high expectations. Piano sounds nice, Lennon doesn't though. The whole pseudo-gospel/blues sound while reciting what he doesn't believe in is kind of lame. The song is too sad sounding I think.
Ending song is just "what". I suppose it's kind of artsy.
Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of the album. It's okay I suppose, but it's a bit too slow and uninteresting instrumentation-wise for my tastes.

Highlights: Love, I Found Out, Isolation, Hold On
Lowlights: Mother, Working Class Hero, My Mummy's Dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I haven't done jazz in a while.

Pimp of the Year by Soil & "Pimp" Sessions (2006)
Good Jazz!? From any time after 1975!?
yeah this album is real nice. It's kind of been given the genre "Yakuza Jazz", if only because the band is japanese. they've also been labelled Punk Jazz, but I'm not sure if that really counts since there's NO GUITAR
however, to counter the lack of said instrument, they certainly make up for it with their organ playing. He sure uses some nice distorted sounds on that organ and when it gets crunchy mmmm man does it taste good.
There's a lot of songs here, and pretty much all of them are amazing. Here are the highlights:
Scoop Out has the best organ solo, and one of my favorite melodies on the album.
The best solo section in general goes to the opening song Memai.
For uptempo latin-sounding jazz we go to the 5th song Sabotage. It's probably the fastest sounding song on the album and it sounds great.
The longest song is called Sahara and it has the organ sounds SO much like a super distorted guitar. It's also a good tune
The Black Widow Blues is a very laid back but very groovy tune.
White Widow Blues takes a lowlight though, as it is the Black Widow Blues melody with a guy singing over top of it. In Broken English
Speaking of Lowlights: I-Rony is a very fast tune, but it has the most obnoxious trumpet playing at the beginning. It's so hard to sit through and the melody line is taken way too fast and I don't think the trumpets can keep up.
Last tune has the worst melody on the album. PLUS its name is a lie!! it's called Need for Speed but it's not even that fast!!!
Satsuriku New Wave is also super lame. I don't know why they thought this song would be a good idea. It's very Ska sounding but with dissonant trumpets gaaaah
so yeah all of the worst songs are right at the very end, so I rarely listen to the very end of the album Very Happy

Highlights: Memai, Scoop Out, Sabotage, Sahara, The Black Widow Blues
Lowlights: Satsuriku New Wave, I-Rony, Need for Speed, The White Widow Blues
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:58 am

Part One by The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band (1967)
what a mouthful
there's not even a wikipedia article on this album. From what I can read the band was formed by the adopted son of a rich oil tycoon who decided he wanted to go to california and make DRUG MUSIC.
Starts with a song in 3/4 time called Shifting Sands. It sounds great, it really does. The guy's voice is quite high pitched and he has a very shaky timbre. We'll see how he sounds as the album progresses.
I Won't Hurt You is kind of strange. the thing keeping the beat is some thing that sounds like a really fast beating heart. there's a super bass boosted guitar thing panned only to the left laying a chord structure. Very interesting, but not sure if I like it
oh wow harmonies. oh, to overcome said harmonies, they have cheesy spoken vocals. There are a lot of fun organ and guitar effects on this one.
We have reached a cover of a Frank Zappa tune with the best song title ever "Help, I'm a Rock". It certainly has, um, zappa type qualities. I'm not really a fan of zappa, and this song doesn't really sit well with me. It's just a weird progression with people emotionlessly asking for help. tons of weird sounds and stuff.
After that tune, we come to a mellow acoustic tune that sounds great. Violins and Xylophones are in by the second verse.
After all of these relatively stereotypical 60s psych sounding songs, we reach Transparent Day. It sounds way ahead of its time, like a mix of 60s pop and almost 90s-ish alt/pop. I'm normally not a big fan of that stuff, but this is pretty great.
And on that note, we hit a real mover. Leiyla has some of the greater drums I've heard. What a groove, shame there's a guy moaning the lyrics over top of the guy singing them. Also, a feedback solo? how strange. oh wow, and now an out of time light acoustic melody. What a strange song.
Here's Where You Belong is another pretty stereotypical 60s pop tune. Psychedelic elements are pretty much gone, and the 90s feel is gone too. Not a real fan of this one. The only thing going for this one is the ambient feeling of the chorus because they have really low volume crash cymbals in the background that really make it feel deep. Still, not saving it
If You Want This Love has the drums, driving pretty hard, panned only in the left channel. These past few songs are really reminiscent of the Beatles. OH WOW for a few seconds they double-timed it and added southern licks and I had a rigid for a bit and then they went back to the kind of slower thing. The song is just okay.
'Scuse Me, Miss Rose is a FAST tune and it has the first kind of decent guitar solo way to go mr. pop art experimetc.
Last song time. High Coin, what a song title. Acoustic Riffin' and super loud high-hattin'. kind of a weird way to end the album.
so yeah, this album is pretty just okay. Because I rate the 60s psych list a bit harder than others, this album gets a nice swath of blue over it. There's just too much mediocre.

Highlights: Shifting Sands, Will You Walk With Me, Transparent Day, 'Scuse Me, Miss Rose
Lowlights: Help, I'm a Rock, Here's Where You Belong
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (1973)
one of the better
There's really no bad songs. The whole thing is super listenable.
If I had to pick a worst song it would be Us & Them, but it has the beautiful chord progression that works so well with the saxophone and mmm
second worst is probably Brain Damage, but once again it's pretty great.
Best hmmmm
well it's hard to ignore the groovacious jam Any Colour You Like. I mean wow
Money mmmmm
and third places goes to Great Gig in the Sky due to emotional reasons. I miss you, sir wright.
Time is pretty great, so I'll give it a highlight.
The first two songs are pretty just okay, same with Eclipse.
wow

Highlights: Any Colour You Like, Money, Great Gig in the Sky, Time
Lowlights: Us & Them, Brain Damage, On the Run
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Discovery by Electric Light Orchestra (1979)
notorious for being heavily disco influenced (DiscoVery wow)
It certainly is a pop adventure
It's hard to define the genre Disco, but for the most part, the requirement is a Four on the Floor bass drum beat (Literally one bass drum hit per beat, kind of a misleading title). Being upbeat is also pretty key. and I like high pitched, quickly strummed guitar chords in my stereotypical disco tunes.
All three of these traits are in the first song. Shine a Little Love opens the album well, and it certainly lets you know what you're getting into. Great stuff
Confusion is probably the lamest ELO song ever. I don't know why I dislike it, but i dearly do.
Need Her Love, what a nice slow tune, something I would come to expect from Sir Lynne. Pretty nice tune, gets a little lengthy though. Sounds kind of motown, not a real fan of the guitar tone.
The Diary of Horace Wimp is pretty great. I love the verse progression, and it took me ages to realize it sounds just like Punky's Dilemma by Simon & Garfunkel. It's also not disco at all, sounds more at home on Out of the Blue. Pretty great vocoder work as well, more reason to associate the instrument to this band.
Last Train to London. Wow do I like this tune. Nice synthy bass.
another slow tune. I like this one more than the other slow song on the album. oh wow a falsetto verse, feigning a woman's part is pretty disco. way to keep with the theme sir lynne.
On the Run is pretty okay I guess. Nothing too special really. Kind of overdoes the synth in the middle part, which is REALLY hard to do for ELO.
Wishing is pretty, um, I don't know. These past three songs have been kind of average. If we made a gaussian bell curve of this album, it would peak over Horace Wimp and kind of be low right here.
and then skyrocket for the final tune. Way to go ELO.

Highlights: Shine a Little Love, The Diary of Horace Wimp, Last Train to London, Don't Bring Me Down
Lowlights: Confusion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm old album day

Dreamboat Annie by Heart (1976)
I loved this album for about three weeks straight in June. I don't think I've listened to it since.
wow does that seem like yesterday. that was almost a year ago!!
Starts with a classic. Great tune.
Then there's the first of like three Dreamboat annie variations. this is probably the second best of them, and it's just a kind of prelude to the actual
nice transition into Crazy On You. I have always loved this tune mmmm dat acoustic and dat latin feel mmmmmmm
Soul of the Sea has a nice feel to it. Nice to have a slower tune after the groovy rock we've experienced thus far. Plus it has a kind of Buckingham Nicks feel to it, and the strings sure are nice, atleast for the first half. Second half it changes into an uptempo tune with some groovy acoustic. there's also the great yelling of "silence" followed by cacophony and a return to the melody of the first half. Fantastic tune once again.
We reach the actual Dreamboat Annie. The song sure would be nice if not for the weird banjo playing that doesn't fit the tune at ALL. who knew one instrument could ruin an entire song that is otherwise great. Luckily! they come back to the song one more time without banjo and that version is great. But i'm getting ahead of myself afro
However, before we can get to that, we have to get through a weird part of the album that tries too hard to fit into the 70s. White Lightning & Wine is definitely the worst song on the album because it's so bland.
I'll Be Your Song is another slower tune with great duality between the electric and acoustic playing. For some reason this song reminds me of Elton John in its harmonies and progression. I certainly like it.
Sing Child has a kind of, um, I don't know, James Brown mixed with Led Zeppelin feel to it (however it's better than the Crunge!). Also, some of the better highs by miss singerwoman. Pretty great tune. PLUS a flute solo mmmm
How Deep It Goes sounds like a song I should dislike. The chord change between the verses and the chorus is so weird, but I end up loving this song. Nice piano playing is good to hear, plus harmonies are good.
Dreamboat Annie (Reprise) is the best of the Dreamboat Annies on the album. works well as a closer to the album. It's a bit slower than the other two, but it has better string usage and it has a middle orchestral part, then returning to a solo acoustic guitar and miss singerwoman doing the chorus while ocean sounds play. What an album.
Yeah, this album was even better than I remembered.

Highlights: Magic Man, Crazy On You, Soul of the Sea, Sing Child
Lowlights: White Lightning & Wine, Dreamboat Annie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7685
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm

I absolutely love Magic Man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Adventures in Experimental Electric Orchestra from the San Francisco Psychedelic Underground by The Orkustra (1965 or 1966)
This is one of the strangest albums I have ever encountered. If not THE strangest.
It is entirely instrumental, and is a group of 5 people. A drummer, a violinman, a guitarman, an oboe man, and I'm pretty sure an organman.
It has important ties to me though, as the violinist of the band would go onto form It's a Beautiful Day. Pretty much every melody you hear here has been modified into a psych pop-ish version on It's a Beautiful Day's debut, one of my favorite albums of all time Wink
The album has a weird feel to it. It is supposed to be a studio album, but the whole thing sounds so muddled and blurry. I've never referred to music as blurry before. it sounds much older than whatever it is. No sources I could find could give a definitive year this came out.
The mixture of instruments and lack of good structure gives it a really, um, modal jazz feel I suppose.
I can't really comment on the songs now. this is one of those experiences that you have to listen to it over and over to really get a feel for what you like and don't like. For me, most jazz albums operate this way, and in a lot of ways I consider this album a jazz album, even though it's pretty much orchestrated folk/indian/who-knows-what music.

Highlights:
Lowlights:

(there will be a time, I'll return to it)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Flying Teapot by Gong (1973)
One of the more inventive and interesting releases of the Canterbury groups. considered by some to be one of the more humourous of them as well
Lot of interesting things going on in this. such as endless solo sections with saxes and guitars and weird keyboards all at the same time sometimes
There are a lot of repeated vocal themes, played over and over again.
for the most part every song as at least one super groovy moment.
However, the song Witch's Song is pretty lame as it has a woman just kind of moaning and meowing the whole time. It's pretty strange. Nice wah pedal though
The Octave Doctors and the Crystal Machine is a minute and 50 seconds long of weird keyboard/synth self-indulgence, which means it goes as a lowlight as well
The best solo section is in the middle of the 9 minute song Zero the Hero and the Witch's Spell. So great and the chaoticness is sure well received by meeeeeee
Flying Teapot wins the humour award for the best lyrics "Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea" and "flying saucer, flying teapot, from outer space" each line is repeated ad nauseum while they groove and solo over it. So nice.
Really, the album is great. Nice mixture of Psychedelic and Jazz and a bit of Progressive as well.

Highlights: Flying Teapot, Zero the Hero and the Witch's Spell, Radio Gnome Invisible
Lowlights: Witch's Song: I am your Pussy, The Octave Doctors and the Crystal Machine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 am

Old albums, nice way to filler a review when there's very little time left in a day
also, my friends laptop has very lame keys grrrrr

Tusk by Fleetwood Mac (1978?)
Doing this all from memory wish me luck!!!
What an eclectic album. I mean the styles are so varied and wow and hmm and ugh and wow
Has one of the strangest album openings I can think of. So slow and boring and pretty uncool
lowlights are pretty clear on this album. The oddball bucko tunes take the cake, however worst song on the album easily goes to a nicksy tune.
Angel is boring and lame and goes on twice as long as necessary.
other uncool tunes include Not That Funny and I Know I'm Not Wrong. Not a fan, even though the second song was covered on self-titled Wink
Highlights hmm well the best songs on the album are so clearly the best. They are
Tusk mmmmmmmm
Brown Eyes mmmmmmm
Sara mmmmmmmm
and um
I guess the last highlight goes to Sister of the Moon, which I kind of think of as the 70s version of the song Tango in the Night. Great stuff
There's probably other important songs I'm forgetting (it is a double album afterall!!!) but I can't be arsed so there

Highlights: Sara, Tusk, Brown Eyes, Sisters of the Moon, The Ledge
Lowlights: Angel, Not That Funny, I Know I'm Not Wrong
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Band of Gypsys by Band of Gypsys (Jimi Hendrix) (1970)
A Live album done at Fillmore East, a pretty happening concert place from what I can read
Three people in this group: Mr. Hendrix, The guy who played bass for sir hendrix at woodstock, and some other drummer that is not-mitch mitchell
You'd be surprised at how different the group sounds without mitchell. Well, at least it's very clear to me.
Hendrix sounds as nice as ever.
And this bassist is more of a funk bassist, playing the exact same licks over and over again with very little variation.
Because of these factors, the album comes off as more of easy listening and less of "wow that's hendrix, mah boy". Doesn't help every song is over 5 minutes long, with the first two being 9 and 12, respectively
Also, notable of this album is background singing and lead singers who are not sir hendrix. In the first song, I think the bassist cadenzas for ages in the middle.
All of the songs groove hard enough, but they all feel like they're missing something. That might also be because it's live.
In the end, all of the songs sound the same, kind of a sad problem.
The only ones that kind of stand out are the songs written by the bassist and sung by him so there's that. Really no bad songs, but nothing outstanding either

Highlights: Changes, We Gotta Live Together
Lowlights:

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 am

ALBUMS

Close to the Edge by Yes (1972)
three songs woo
first song's great and EVERYWHERE great stuff some of my favorite moments in music right there
second song is kind of slow but still great nice harmonies
third song what a riff shame it's kind of eh otherwise there's a great part near the end too but it has to take lowlight only because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time
wow

Highlights: Middle part of Close to the Edge, Close to the Edge ending, Siberian Khatru opening, And You and I
Lowlights: Siberian Khatru rest of song, verse of Close to the Edge
Back to top Go down
View user profile

small times for formidable people
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next