ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

small times for formidable people

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1056
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Meddle by Pink Floyd (1971)
A Pink Floyd Album? who knew those existed
Meddle is probably my second favorite album of theirs. It would be third, but I guess pompeii is technically a movie and not an album Wink
This album, like pompeii, works amazing as an interlude between their early, experimental albums, and their later, more standard but still relatively interesting albums.
Starts with a super great, nearly instrumental tune. The only lyric is about wanting to cut you into little pieces Wink but who is you (hmm)
second tune is a soft acoustic melody with not-country sounding slide guitar work. Not a bad tune, by any means
Fearless is kind of weird. I don't really like the riff, and the whole footballers chanting thing is not my cup o' tea. Normally, this song wouldn't be too bad, but it takes worst on this album.
San Tropez mmmmm I love this tune so much. I have seen many people say this is their least favorite on the album, but it probably gets second place in my mind
Seamus is pretty eh. A slow acoustic blues tune with recorded dog howling not a super fan.
Echoes, best pink floyd song? yes.
so there you have it. of the six songs, two songs propel it into 2nd/3rd place. way to go

Highlights: Echoes, San Tropez, One Of These Days
Lowlights: Fearless, Seamus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Shazam by The Move (1970)
For some reason, everyone who has reviewed this album loves it. Most reviews love it because it sounds like a live performance.
In my eyes, it sounds just like a band from the late 60s trying to adjust after the death of the hippie movement.
also, two of the guys went on to form ELO with sir lynne wow
This is especially prevalent on the first track Hello Suzie. Phasers on the background vocals just screams 70s. The singing is rather unremarkable on this tune and the progression/riffin' isn't my fave. It kind of sounds like Marti N making a mockery of it all if you concentrate hard enough (hehe) pretty lame opening tune yep oh dear the drumming at the end
Now that that's over, let's get to the next tune Wink starts with a funny interview "you are obviously not a british person" "i am british" (hehe)
It has strings and has much better singing The progression of the song reminds me a lot of something from Forever Changes, but better Quite a nice tune.
oh boy, a song about going crazy I think. These are usually pretty funny. spoken word nice chorus, singing is kind of strange. and then random acapella sections. and now acoustic guitars playing that one hannukah song!! this song is pretty neat. and now they're playing a song that sounds like a tune from Pokémon. can't believe they got away with that Wink
Song #4 time. I think that's a mandolin going on there, gives it a bit of a folky feel, and then the drums come in and we're in a neat rock feel. Oh wow, that chorus. How beautiful. the way the voices blend reminds me of Styx, and I love that oh wow, this song is 11 minutes long how will they keep it interesting???? at about the 6 minute mark, it sounds like the song should end, but now we have kind of an indian-sounding section with one guitar panned only to the left channel. oh wow play that riff at a constantly increasing tempo mmmm it's moments like this that you get the whole "sounds like a live show" thing.
Onto bigger and better things. This song actually has a decent riff I think it must be a cover of a blues song. hmm, the solo is super long and has wah guitar and has two solos panned into the different ears and there's no melody at all in the solo. it's like i'm really listening to Bran & Friends Wink
Time for the last song. I am so glad the singer on the first song doesn't return for the other songs. This song is pretty normal sounding, kind of lacklustre for the melodies on the rest of the album. This psychedelic ending to the song is pretty nice. We got some strange phazing and wah going on in the guitar solos, which are once again panned but keep fading in and out at different times. It reminds me of another song, but I can't place it.
so yeah, this album is quite good. A good bridge in the evolution of music I would say. Shame the first song is the worst on the album Wink

Highlights: Beautiful Daughter, Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited, Fields of People, The Last Thing on my Mind
Lowlights: Hello Suzie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Bitches Brew by Miles Davis (1970)
Pretty much everyone considers this to be the best jazz album ever made or something.
It features mr. McLaughlin on electric guitar, which I guess was relatively unheard of in jazz at this point.
I won't comment on every song since every song but one is over ten minutes, with two of them being over twenty minutes long.
There are two songs here that groove super hard though.
Spanish Key is easily the best on the album. It has guitar solo throughout and it some of the neatest rhythmic stuff around.
John McLaughlin is the name of a song on the album AND it's only four minutes long. Win-Win if you ask me
There's really only one song that's hard to sit through, and that is the title track. It has some rather annoying reverb'd trumpet stuff and it doesn't do much for me.
One of the cooler things about this album is that there was very little rehearsal for this, so most recordings are improv to the max. way to go
There's a rather slow song near the end, but for the most part things stay uptempo.
That being said, I have no idea why people suggest this album to people who are new to jazz. it's hardly accessible as there really aren't any melodies, and the solo sections are rather incoherent. It's kind of a weird album in general, and I find it a bit overrated.

Highlights: Spanish Key, John McLaughlin, Miles Runs the Voodoo Down
Lowlights: Bitches Brew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Chicago II by Chicago (1970)
nice album nice forearm muscle
Pretty good stuff, pretty long (seeing as it's a double album ) and built from many parts.
there are like three suites of divided up songs on here, with two of them being amazing and the other being alright.
The first and best suite starts with Make Me Smile and goes through various directions before returning to the main theme 6 songs later.
The second suite is a bit more classically involved, kind of out of place on the album
the last suite has a ton of groovy solos and ends with one of the best songs on the album, but it's all kind of directionless jamming on the same progression. Kind of gets old, if you can believe it.
Between the suites are a bunch of single songs that are pretty neat, including the great 25 or 6 to 4!!!
Other single songs worth mentioning are Fancy Colours which is one of the most childish sounding songs ever, but I love it for that. really, I love it.
In The Country has a super catchy chorus. It really is great as well, but it kind of lasts forever.
Poem for the People is also a great tune. some super great harmonies.
The Road is one of the better songs the more I think about it. Nice progression, amazing singing, and great changing of sections
Lowlights hmm.
I would say the classical suite isn't really bad, but it hardly fits on the album, and has to take a lowlight spot.
Last song on the album is pretty uninteresting as well, and kind of a lame way to end it. It's still not bad, but they did good endings better on their last album Wink
So yeah, nice use of horns. A little less extended jazz improv influence here, and only a little bit of classical, all confined to like three songs. It is much more ROCK with jazz progressons, but kept within borders and normal, standard jamming. Also, there is flute everywhere in this album.
I think the suites work well to break up otherwise super long songs into manageable pieces. This album is much more accessible than their first, although I don't view it quite as highly. Just my taste though Wink

Highlights: 25 or 6 to 4, Fancy Colours, Poem for the People, In the Country, Make Me Smile, 3rd Movement, Now More Than Ever, The Road
Lowlights: A.M Mourning, P.M. Mourning, Prelude, Where Do We Go From Here?

oh wow, i just realized I did two chicago albums this month. what is my punishment

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Os Mutantes by Os Mutantes (1968)
A brazilian psychedelic band. Upon a few lessons, you realize they are one of the grooviest and most upbeat psych bands from the era
The psychedelic stuff comes in everyonce in a while with spoken word and random tape loops and stuff while weird sound effects happen underneath
this is especially prevalent on the first song, which is pretty good. it has not-instruments
There is a very clear latin influence throughout the songs along with a definite san francisco influence as well, but it comes off as more fun and cool than, say, santana who is kind of a serious jam band
they also use a great mix of male and female voices, but the female voice is so much more, um, good sounding i guess than say Slick or Joplin.
A lot of tunes have weird changes right in the middle, which almost always come at the perfect moment when you start getting bored with a song. These guys are great.
song 4 starts kind of weird and then features neat xylophone work
Song the Fifth, called Baby, has some of the corniest organ sounds (hehe) but it also has neat guitar work and is a relatively slow ballad. how dare they I'm glad Bieber had the audacity to change it up totally with his version Wink
They continue to change things up with a kind of Dixie Jazz song with neat trombone and vocal effects. Pretty great.
Bat Macumba is astounding. It has a catchy vocal line, some neat percussion, and weird organ effect I think, could be guitar. Regardless, I love this song.
Le Premier Bonheur du Jour wow french mixed in with portugese!? This album could probably only be made better if I could understand them. This song is beautiful. it's a lot like another song from previously, but a better progression and better harmonies not to mention a recorder solo wow
Wow, another fantastic song. This song sounds so familiar, not sure where I could have heard it before but wow also it has jingle bells
Song 10 has like brazilian rapping. This is the first song where the vocals are at the absolute front of the song, and it doesn't do much more for me since it's all gibberish. They occasionally go into neat harmonies but not often enough
Last song time, wow bass riffs and some of the jazziest drums of all time!? cheesy organ!? weird sighing vocal lines with harmonies!? strange guitar effects!? neat percussion!? it's like the epitome of the entire album. Works amazing as a closer.
Honestly, this album is easily in my top 15. It's the perfect mix of jam and groove and experimental and layers of instruments and mmmmm

Highlights: O Relógio, Bat Macumba, Le Premier Bonheur du Jour, Trem Fantasma, Ave Genghis Khan
Lowlights: A Minha Menina, Baby, Tempo No Tempo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7689
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 pm

but you don't speak portugese
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 am

lyrics were never my proud
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Felt by Felt (1971)
I went through a phase last september where I listened to this album nearly exclusively. It's quite good.
Although, this band is super unknown. A more famous band named Felt came around in the 80s which made these guys irrelevant.
The album only has six songs, but each one has its own quirks and interesting things about it that they're all different.
Starts with a relatively slow tune. I'm glad it's the shortest song on the album. It's kind of the worst song
Now She's Gone is quite good, it has a neat, rather progressive riff and a duet between the guitar and vocals super nice. has a slow section that grooves as well.
Weepin' Mama Blues is actually relatively heavy. The riff is soooooo good. Lovely stuff.
World is a good ballady tune with random sections that go super ROCK and have rather passionate vocal passages. It is so neat.
Change is 10 minutes long and has a bunch of different sections. Some are definitely better than others, and for the inconsistency it has to take a lowlight :'(
The last tune is probably my favorite on the album. It has one of those super easy but super groovy progressions that just works. It's the most psychedelic tune on the album probably and it has a nice mix of slow and fast and high intensity and low intensity. so good. has a neat organ solo as well.
so yeah, this album is a good bridge between the psychedelic 60s and the ROCK 70s with some neat prog elements mixed in and some pretty nice vocals. I just love it so much.

Highlights: Destination, Now She's Gone, Weepin' Mama Blues, World
Lowlights: Look at the Sun, Change
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Odelay by Beck (1996)
From what i've heard of Beck, I've at least found it tolerable and relatively groovy. Let's give this baby a listen, eh? Wink
DISCLAIMER: I don't know the actual definition of Hip-Hop and might just be throwing it around in place of the actual term needed.
Devil's Haircut is quite wow. There's just something about super stereotypical funk drum samples that are just amazing. There's a whole section on the wikipedia page about sampled songs so let's hope this continues. There are super neat effects going on here as well. Beck sounds like a super sleepy kurt cobain or something, which I think I prefer, but is still pretty not-super great. the yelling at the end is pretty oh um
Hotwax is nice as well. I hope this album continues in this pseudo-hip-hop direction. The weird sections of shorted-out microphone vocals are kind of strange and sound really out of place. You can't help but bob your head to the verses of this song, well done.
Lord Only Knows is kind of strange. I'm not a real fan of the progression, and the beginning scream is pretty offputting, and it's kind just a weird song in general.
and The New Pollution comes out of nowhere to save the feeling of the first two songs again. pretty nice stuff and the sax riffin' mmm
Derelict is a bit on the strange side. there's something about the mix of groovy percussion with neat marimba playing and then the unsettling guitar parts and vocals and then the indian bit in middle (hehe) what a funny tune. to add to the humour, they use a synth drum beat (hehe)
Novacane has some neat effects, but the rapping (hehe) the fuzz bass is super neat and the sampling done is just for strange effect and not for drumming or whatnot. definitely the most hip-hop tune so far, but it's pretty good regardless. the effects kind of go overboard by the end and it loses all rhythm. if it was two minutes shorter i would almost make this a highlight, but alas, it is not
Jack-Ass sounds like it could be by The Stone Roses, mostly because of the groan-y almost spoken vocals. It's a bit slow and kind of annoying really. and then, all of a sudden, it changes back to hip-hoppy goodness and has a harmonica solo. Still, the intro goes on too long
Wow, what a nice wurlitzer solo to open this song. I'm guessing it's sampled since Where It's At has 5 songs sampled in it. His voice has a bit more feeling on this song, it's a very welcome change. There are tons of amazing effects going on in this. sometimes I wish it was more clear what was sampled and what wasn't.
Wow, Minus has no sampling finally a chance to see what he can do on his own. Also, it's the heaviest song. It's also pretty lacklustre and not my fave
Sissyneck time. What a whistle. What nice harmonies, and nice kind of bluesy feel. By the end of the tune, he's got a bit of Jim Morrison thing going on with his voice. Definitely the best vocal performance thus far. It's kind of obnoxious country feel isn't my fave, but the rest is pretty great.
Readymade is kind of...annoying. The drums and bass are alright, but the weird guitar chord he uses when he does play guitar is pretty awful. It's a bit too empty for me, especially compared to pretty much every other song on the album so far.
High 5 wow. Out of nowhere, they go into the most stereotypical rap thing ever. Where did this song come from (hehe)
Time for the last song. Let's hope we can end this pretty bad streak of songs here Wink hmm, an acoustic ballad with harmonies? Unfortunately it's nearly 5 minutes long, I can see this getting boring quickly. Will he change it up? nope. :'(
Overall, it's a pretty fun album that shows how neat rock bands can be with samples. It starts pretty strong for me, but then kind of dies out by the end. Oh well.

Highlights: Devils Haircut, Hotwax, The New Pollution, Where It's At
Lowlights: Lord Only Knows, Minus, Readymade, High 5, Ramshackle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin (1970)
their "acoustic album"
it starts with their arguably best known song. which is heavy!! and not acoustic!! also a bit old if you ask me
Next is Friends, which musically represents friendship in the most accurate way possible: dissonant acoustic riffin' and you just want it to end all the time also violins seriously, friends is my least favorite on sir album
Celebration Day is pretty alright, kind of sounds like the direction they were heading on future albums. Pretty just alright.
Since I've Been Loving You. What a tune. Shame it's pretty much the exact same as BIGLY in my eyes, but both are orgasmic and probably in my top 5 Led Zeppelin tunes, so we can forgive them Wink what highs
Out on the Tiles has a pretty nice verse riff, but it way overpowers the vocals. Pretty catchy tune and nice.
Gallows Pole was actually the reason I bought this album. I really, really like it and I wish I knew why.
Tangerine starts with a false start and is a pretty nice ballady soft song. Shame about the slide stuff and the occasional out of tune vocals.
That's the Way is pretty alright. It sounds like a song you'd play sitting around the campfire. And I feel like I shouldn't like the random switch to minor chords on the chorus, but I do. Oh well.
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp is pretty nice. don't really know what to say about it, except that it's one of the tunes that really gives the album a nice feel, a nice feel that other albums would never have. Probably because they never tried to achieve said feel ROFL I am rambling at this point next tune please
Hats off to Roy Harper is pretty neat. Nice vocal effects. Kind of a weird way to end the album though.
so yeah, acoustic. wow

Highlights: Since I've Been Loving You, Gallows Pole, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Out on the Tiles
Lowlights: Friends, Tangerine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:40 pm

The Notorious Byrd Brothers by The Byrds (1968)
I tried one other The Byrds album and wasn't a big fan. However that came out in 1966 and i'm not really impressed with that year, so we can't judge them too hard.
This album is consistently considered one of the highlights of the psychedelic age, so we better see what the hype is about.
Also, has David Crosby on it who would later join CS&N, so there's that. He was kicked out of the band in the middle of recording the album for writing a song about a threesome, which was later covered by Jefferson Airplane. A demo of that song is on here
I am three songs in and it is certainly better than the other album of their I tried. It's much more ambient-y and certainly fits the late 60s feel very well. harmonies and panning and strange effects and layers of stuff abound, which is everything I've come to expect. The compositions of the songs sound amazing due to the great panning and multitracking of all the instruments. Unfortunately, no songs really stick out as being amazing, but there is certainly nothing awful here.
Hmm, a good way to describe this is a mix of Burning of the Midnight Lamp with the verses of 1983, but with the vocals from I am the Walrus. I think it might just the epitome of psychedelic rock.
Finally, a highlight! Draft Morning is probably about Vietnam and it does noise solos better than any other song I can think of. Quite nice.
Lowlight! Wasn't Born to Follow has a rather annoying progression with pedal steel work that makes it obnoxiously country, but like a farmer was high on acid. It's really strange.
Get to You starts a bit obnoxiously country, but the 3/4 time signature and nice ballady vocals save it and the use of mellotron (I think) really do good work for it.
This album has taken a strange turn. super reverb'd country licks!? I really don't know what to think at this point. I can stand folk music, but this weird psych-country mix is really unsettling.
Oh wow, using phaser on a cello. This album is really going overboard now. Both good and bad, i would say.
a song in 5/4!? instant highlight. What a groovy, jazzy tune.
Dolphin's Smile has some neat drumming, but there's one harmony they hit that doesn't sit well with me. The rest is nice.
the album ends with a song called "Space Odyssey". I can only imagine how this turns out. It's really strange and kind of out of place. Kind of monotone, not exactly spectacular.
Overall, I can see why people rate this high in albums from the time. Personally, it sounded like they were trying to be country while also selling to the drugged up kids. Also, looking back, all of the songs I enjoyed best were written by Crosby before he was kicked out of the band (hehe) I think this is a serious problem.

Highlights: Artificial Energy, Natural Harmony, Draft Morning, Tribal Gathering
Lowlights: Born to Follow, Change is Now, Space Odyssey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (1977)
Who hasn't listened to this album?
basically, a british blues band gets two star-crossed lovers to join them in making music and then the band partakes in an orgy and everyone hates each other
or something like that
so rather than having lame pseudo-inspiration, the band got inspiration from themselves certainly no one can deny their manliness
so rock on team of sexual deviants
I won't bother talking about the individual songs, pretty much all of them are highlights except for the last tune. and I always forget how I Don't Wanna Know goes so I guess we'll make that a lowlight since it doesn't stick out
Don't Stop is kind of old for me, so that's why it's a lowlight :'(
Highlights hmm well The Chain and Second Hand News surely stand out.
I would make Silver Springs a highlight, but it technically wasn't on the album and Stevie would hate me for it probably
Songbird is quite beautiful
and I really like the keyboard groove on You Make Loving Fun, but I could see people not liking it.
so yeah

Highlights: Second Hand News, The Chain, You Make Loving Fun, Songbird, Never Going Back Again Go Your Own Way, Dreams
Lowlights: Gold Dust Woman, I Don't Wanna Know, Don't Stop

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 pm

I haven't listened to it and I never will
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 am

you should someday

now matter how much I despise them, i plan on listening to a tool album someday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:59 am

I'd sooner not review an album one day
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:47 am

today's supposed to be a new album day but I have not the time nor the energy
i'll make up for it double over the next few days Wink

Wild and Peaceful by Kool & the Gang (1973)
1973? wow
so yeah this album grooves and funks pretty hard
Starts with the ever memorable Funky Stuff followed by More Funky Stuff which is the same song but with quickly strummed chords. wow
Jungle Boogie mmm what a song dem lows and whatnot yeah
Heaven at Once features a lot of spoken word and then out of tune highs. why :'(
Hollywood Swingin', not much needs to be said
This is You This is Me has one of the greatest "riffs" on the album and some of the neatest bass sounds ever.
Life is What You Make It is pretty neat, has some great guitar solo-riffin'. pretty groovy
Wild & Peaceful is so out of place. It's a 9.5 minute instrumental thingy that's more jazz and jazz fusion than the funk feel we've had. takes too long, my friend called it "elevator music"

Highlights: Hollywood Swingin', Jungle Boogie, Life is What You Make It, This is You This is Me
Lowlights: Heaven at Once, Wild & Peaceful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Gandalf by Gandalf (1968)
60s hipster mode engage
i know absolutely nothing about this band or album, except that I think this album is mostly a cover album. I don't know any of the songs before hand.
Starts with a song Golden Earrings. It has a nice progression with some great strings and flutes. the vocals kind of short out the microphone frequently, and they're not anything amazing. Still, a great tune.
Hang On To a Dream is pretty great as well. A wonderful progression in this one, the album is really shaping up well. that keyboard solo mmm
Never Too Far is a bit more mellow. Not a real fan of it. It does have some neat harmonies and nice harpsichord.
The harpsichord aids in a nice baroque pop feel on Scarlet Ribbons. This is good mellow, unlike the last tune Wink
You Upset the Grace of Living has some great vocal reverb. I love vocal reverb. For some reason, this is one of the weirdest tunes ever. It's like a mix of The Doors and Led Zeppelin and REO Speedwagon. it's got a really fun feel that I don't think matches the time period at all. This album wow
Can You Travel in the Dark Alone is quite nice. It has a really dark feel, kind of reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft. But it is certainly nice. Neat harmonies. If we would get a folky/country-ish psychedelic song this album might just be the perfect bundle of all things 60s.
Nature Boy is another slower, minor, heavy-reverb'd vocals song that is amazing. Also, there's a super nice fuzzy guitar solo. It ends so beautifully, I love this song a lot.
Tiffany Rings has some country drummin' in one ear, harpsichord in another, and super reverb'd oohing and ahhing. It's bizzare, and just alright.
Me About You starts with weird effects on the vocals which are quiet and then it builds during the choruses with RIPPING ORGAN and drum fills. then it calms back down. A nice slow, kind of ballady tune. well done.
Last tune. wind chimes wow. I Watch The Moon is the name of the song, so I have a feeling where this will go. wow, this song grooves hard. The guitar solo is one of the worst I've ever heard though (hehe) good thing it's so fuzzy it could pass for a keyboard solo, so we'll say that's what it is and it's just setting the mood Wink
Overall, this album is pretty beautiful, as far as psychedelic albums go. A lot of slower, "deeper" songs with nice compositions and harmonies. Surprisingly good.

Highlights: Golden Earrings, Hang On To A Dream, Nature Boy, Me About You, I Watch The Moon
Lowlights: Never Too Far, Tiffany Rings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Eldorado by Electric Light Orchestra (1974)
This is the album that kind of launched them into well known-ness.
it is also a concept album! about daydreaming! how original!
starts with a vocoderized poem about dreaming, with neat dreamy strings followed by a very strong big orchestra intro to the second song
Can't Get It Out of My Head starts with super cheesy 80s sounding synth stuff. It's made much better when the strings come into the mix, along with some pretty neat keyboard stuff later. This song is pretty much the stereotypical slow jeff lynne song.
Boy Blue starts with nice not-instrument fanfare stuff followed by neat symphonic stuff. Not just strings, but full arrangements on a variety of strings and HARP Then it turns into a pretty basic pop tune. After the first verse, there are some neat pizzicato violin stuff matched with bongos that works so well. the progression is not my favorite though.
Laredo Tornado starts with some neat soloin'. then it becomes a funky, kind of Motown tune synthy bass stuff with mellow keyboard chords and simple drums. What a tune. features some great lynne falsetto as well.
Poor Boy is fantastic. Very well done and has some parts in it that remind me of the end of Wild West Hero and parts of the Concerto for a Rainy Day on Out of the Blue (although, they perfected the sound on that album, it's great here). it also has neat orchestra parts blended with distorted guitar work and wow it is nice and an amazing to the first side of the album.
Mister Kingdom starts kind of weak, builds fantastically on the choruses, and just gets better as the song goes along in general. the ending kind of drags on a bit long.
Nobody's Child opens with probably the most stereotypical rock/symphony mix-progression ever, or atleast it's used in Deep Purple's Concert for Group and Orchestra frequently, so i might be a bit biased here. Still, when that's over and it goes to mostly band stuff, it's pretty groovy and has a dark blues feel to it. there's a beautiful beautiful beautiful jazz piano solo with strings underneath it. One of the highlights of the album so far. pretty sure the song is about a prostitute
as misleading as the title might sound, Illusions in G Major is a pretty standard Rock & Roll song with neat horns and strings under it. the reverb on lynne's voice makes it impossible to tell what he's singing.
Title track time. Quite a beautiful song, I guess it's about album-protagonist waking up from dream world and hating his life and wanting to go back. Pretty depressing if you think about it, made even worse when I think that I do this nearly every day Wink one of the better of lynne's slower tunes, even though it sounds pretty much exactly like all of the rest of them, but with a neat, kind of psychedelic outro.
Eldorado Finale takes some of the themes of the symphonic parts of the album and adds a choir to them. It's like a louder, edgier, and more pointed eldorado overture. Ends with another poem, making it have a Days of Future Passed effect.
Based on the namedropping I have done in this review, it is easy to say that this album doesn't do anything very unique, but its combinations of other great things really makes a nice collective whole. Pretty good stuff here.

Highlights: Eldorado Finale, Eldorado, Poor Boy (The Greenwood), Nobody's Child, Eldorado Overture
Lowlights: Can't Get It Out Of My Head, Boy Blue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm

In Search of the Lost Chord by The Moody Blues (1968)
The follow up to one of the greatest albums ever made, Days of Future Passed (DOFP).
From reviews I've seen, this album is much more "psychedelic" and less symphonic, so cult fans like it better. It'll be hard to beat Days of Futuretc.
Supposedly it's a concept album about "adventure". what a nice concept.
Starts with a crazy poem, and then weird laughter and fading into the next tune
Ride My See-Saw has some great reverb on the harmony vocals, so it makes it sound like a choir singing. The drums are super hard rockin'. I didn't know anyone knew how to play drums like that in the 60s. We also have a guitar solo, which you would never find on the previous album. They sound like an entirely different band here. So let's judge them that way Wink
Dr. Livingstone, I Presume sounds just like the cheesiest song from DOFP, but with more mellotron and nice gang vocal choruses.
House of Four Doors finally has a bit more instrumentation, featuring some nice flute work. A pretty nice, kind of minor tune. has a big, loud, over-the-top section which is great. Basically, the story of the song is they enter doors and each door releases a new section of the song. When they open the last door, it transitions to...
a six minute song about Timothy Leary. I can only IMAGINE where this song goes. My biggest issue with The Moody Blues is that they use mellotron in the exact same way everytime it's used. do something different band But yeah, this song is pretty neat. What a flute solo. Middle section sounds EXACTLY like a tune on DOFP, but this is done a bit groovier I suppose. shame the choruses are literally "TIMOTHY LEARY TIMOTHY LEARY TIMOTHY LEARY" etc.
House of Four Doors pt. 2? hmm not as good as the first part.
Voices in the Sky is quite light and pretty. Written by the guy that does Nights in White Satin, and it kind of shows. I like this guy.
The Best Way to Travel starts with some groovy acoustic riffin'. The delayed drum work is such a beatles rip off. It also has some of the most stereotypical drug lyrics ever, including "high as a kite" and "thinking is the best way to travel". Why does it have to be so great despite all of these problems. Oh! but they finally use the mellotron in a neat way, if only to make weird flying effects. The ending is so weird.
Visions of Paradise is beautiful. It also uses Tambura, but not in the strange super psychedelic way that it generally is used. Great tune.
They sure love to use high reverb on the lead vocal man on this album, which is especially prevalent on The Actor. A pretty soulful tune, really gets his emotions across.
Another poem, but this one much more normal. it's about FINDING THE CHORD.
Final song in which they FIND THE CHORD. There are a lot of indian instruments here. Wikipedia says it's a clone of Within You Without You, but any indian sounding tune will have that feel, and this song is really nothing like that one. there are amazing harmonies for one, especially at the end oh lord. It also has a speed up and a clear sitar solo rather than just droning. For these last few songs along, I can clearly see why people consider this a classic psychedelic album. With the symphony gone, they have a very, very different sound. Still, a great album, all things considered.

Highlights: Ride My See-Saw, Voices in the Sky, Visions of Paradise, The Actor, The Om
Lowlights: Departure, Dr. Livingstone, I Presume
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 am

Queen by Queen (1973)
An album by a band that everyone knows. But no one knew who they were at this point!!
Queen the album is interesting in that it sounds nothing like any other Queen album, outside of like 2 songs. Even Queen II is more progressive and cohesive than this one!!
Starts with easily the best tune on the album. Nothing short of amazing.
Doing All Right is kind of weird to start with but when you get used to it it's great, and the middle section is certainly a highlight of the album.
Second best tune on the album follows. I have no idea why I love Great King Rat, but I do.
My Fairy King is pretty terrible in comparison with most of Queen's stuff. There's not much going for it and it drags on a bit.
Liar rounds off the great songs on the album. Well done.
The Night Comes Down is strange. Certainly tolerable and sounds alright, but it just sounds so....strange. I need a better vocabulary. Also, mercury's and taylor's falsettos are still underdeveloped at this point and it shows.
and now we enter the ROCK section of the album. Modern Times Rock N' Roll is pretty good, but it kind of sounds like it could a demo of Stone Cold Crazy.
Son & Daughter has one of my favorite Riffs of all time. When I think great riffs, this song is the first on my mind. I sometimes find myself humming it and just feel badass. kind of a weird effect. Overall, the song is just alright though, the riff isn't played often enough
Jesus is just.....wow. Pretty filler-y if you ask me.
and then Seven Seas of Rhye is nearly the definition of filler. It's just so bland. And I don't really like the lyric-included version either, so ugh.
So yeah, the album kind of lays the foundation for future albums Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, but on its own it's only just okay. Certainly nothing too fantastic.

Highlights: Keep Yourself Alive, Great King Rat, Doing All Right, Liar
Lowlights: My Fairy King, The Night Comes Down, Jesus, Seven Seas of Rhye
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Trip Thru Hell by The C.A. Quintet (1969)
I don't really know what I'm getting into with this album. Just another unheard of 60s psych release. There's not even a wikipedia article for the album!!
Funny fact, only 500 copies of the original vinyl version were released. 500. I was just looking and one of these rare albums went for nearly $2000 on ebay.
Starts with a 9 minute song called Trip Thru Hell, pt. 1. It just kind of goes through weird instrumental (aside from oohing and ahhing) soundscapes for a while before hitting a drum solo that is panned like 90% into one ear. Then the drum solo hits a neat part and they start phasing it and panning it and wow how nice. After that neat adventure, we arrive at strange sounds and feedback and then return to some earlier themes. I hope they change the organ sound sometime, because it sounds awfully cheesy.
Colorado Mourning wow. What a song title. Features nice not-instruments and vocals!! guitar man is doing the stereotypical wah rhythm but without wah!! why guy why!! kind of a depressing sounding tune. The end of the song fades into a part from Trip Thru Hell pt. 1. wut
Cold Spider? hmm. Atleast this tune sounds like a normal 60s psych tune to an extent, but this band is way more dark than H.P. Lovecraft, and that's all they're known for. It's pretty easy to tell this album didn't have much of a production budget, there are mic spikes and weird guitar catches that show up all over the place. oh wow wah at the end. overall, not a fan of the progression of it
A song that sounds happy? So nice. Underground Music has brass and uptempo drums and pretty joyous sounding stuff. and a wah solo!! wow tons of strange effects going on here, what a tune.
Sleepy Hollow Lane is pretty mellow and bland for a while, and then they enter into a 5/4 section that is jazzy and neat. and then for no reason they add part of trip thru hell pt. 1 at the end again. kind of wish they would stop doing that.
Smooth as Silk is an uptempo song with some super neat drumming. the organ sounds pretty bad here, and kind of in general across the whole album. Some neat reverb on all instruments throughout. Vocal man sounds like the guy from Love on this tune.
Trip Thru Hell, pt. 2. they have a female singer with the main guy here and they don't blend well at all. They have occasional trumpet fanfares that sure are nice. And then they return to the original trip thru hell main section before going into, like, a rhumba or something. oh wow, backwards guitar solo. More backmasking and weird effects and reverberated yelling? wow what an ending to this album. lawdy mama, ending with chiming church bells.
so yeah, certainly another decent psychedelic indulgence from the late 60s. It would take a relatively specific group of people to seriously enjoy this album. I fit into that group of people to an extent, but I'm probably not high enough to be the president of said group.

Highlights: Underground Music, Trip Thru Hell pt. 1, Sleepy Hollow Lane
Lowlights: Cold Spider

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Station to Station by David Bowie (1976)
I don't understand why I like this album.
It sounds SO 80s, but it was made in 1976. For reference, that's the same year as Boston's debut. wow
There is quite a bit of funk and disco happenin' up in here, but the vocals and such are so white whodduya think your tryna fool bowie mah boi
huh enough of that so
starts with a 10 minute odyssey through trains. Quite a groovy tune, many different parts, some better than others. mmm
Golden Years mmm i can groove to this. Funny fact, over the summer when I worked in a factory, this song played every wednesday night and eventually it become the highlight of my wednesdays what a story
Word on a Wing is....kind of lame. Ballady and weirdly emotional, but the drums and high synth note that is played for EVERY second of the song kind of ruins all known moods.
speaking of lame songs TVC15 is easily worst on the album. There's some kind of minor/major clash every verse that just makes me shudder.
Stay is easily the best on the album. It jams and grooves all in one tune i mean wow what a riff and that outro solo wow
Wild is the Wind is a cover of some jazz tune I guess, and it is covered well. I love it so much.
is that it? I guess so. Kind of short as far as bowie albums go, but we can forgive him Wink

Highlights: Stay, Wild is the Wind, Golden Years, Station to Station
Lowlights: Word on a Wing, TVC15
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Mass in F Minor by Electric Prunes (1968)
An album sung in latin, using Catholic mass themes, gregorian chanting, and high reverb and tremolo guitar and DRUGS
this album is really neat. The concept is pretty interesting, and I'm sure it upset some people in its day Wink
Kind of a short record, 6 songs, all around 5 min. long.
Every song has many different sections and feelings, none of the songs ever feel longer than they ought to be.
The most astonishing instrument to me on this album is the guitar. There is some pretty perfect feedback use throughout, but this is especially prevalent during Gloria and Agnus Dei.
Really, there aren't any bad songs, just some are less memorable than others. It doesn't help that it all kind of blends together since it's in latin.
Another highlight is Sanctus which has horns it starts kind of lame, but by the end of the tune it is great.
Benedictus is another highlight because it has a groovy 3/4 solo section that is just amazing.
I think there's only one song I haven't discussed, so that unwillingly must be given lowlight spot. It's not your fault Kyrie Eleison :'( it is mine!!
so yeah, I actually love this album. well done sir prunes.

Highlights: Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei
Lowlights: Kyrie Eleison
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Shake Sauvage: French Soundtracks, 1968 - 1973 (2000)
A soundtrack by french artists also two new albums in a row for no reason
I don't really remember how I found this album, I think it was when I was browsing porn music.
In all honesty, this album is astounding.
It's like a mix of jazz and porn music and spy music and psychedelia and ORGAN, oh lord that organ
Basically, imagine a Quentin Tarantino movie's soundtrack, that's pretty much what this is.
There's 18 songs, none of them bad. Only three stood out to me as being less-listenable, mostly because they kind of had obnoxiously simple riffs that played periodically.
One of these three starts lame, and then gets amazing by the end. It's also the longest song at just over 5 minutes.
Pretty much everything except for like 3 songs are instrumental, so I don't know that Green would like this. Otherwise, i would suggest this to anyone. They are super interesting instrumentals though.
Aside from the three lowlight songs, everything is nearly perfect. Picking highlights is nearly impossible, but I'll try.
There's a song with sampled drums that really fits at home on this album despite being the only one like it. It's marvelous.
First song called Sexopolis was what drew me to the album, but it's actually kind of slow compared to the rest of the album, but it was great instrumentation
Kidnapping is so amazing, but it's also the shortest song on the album. why :'(
Haschish Party is such a psychedelic experience. also uses sitar wow
Also, there's the only ROCK song called Sweet Bacon. Sounds like it could be any pop song from the 60s.
Seriously though, this is probably the best album i've discovered in months.
If I was hosting an orgy at my 70s style bachelor pad, I would definitely use this as the soundtrack to our I AM A GIGANTIC FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE love making.

Highlights: Haschish Party, Kidnapping, Sexopolis, I Don't Know Why, Sweet Bacon, EVERYTHING
Lowlights: Pétrol Pop, O.K. Chicago, Grand Thčme Malko
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Green asked me to do this a week or two ago. Time to satisfy his primal urges.

Are You Experienced by The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)
I'm pretty sure I have the US/Canadian version, so we'll do that. Technically the UK version is the true official release, with the US version having taken out such tunes as Red House to make room for hits like Purple Haze and Hey Joe.
We'll get this out of the way now, I don't really listen to this album. The only reason being that 80% of it is overplayed radio hits that I have long gotten tired of.
Starts with the ever popular Purple Haze. Seems like a great opening track for the experience.
Manic Depression sounds more Axis-y than debut-y. I certainly enjoy this track, the drumming does it amazing favours.
Just now I am noticing the backing female vocals on Hey Joe. They add a nice dimension to the song. The song kind of goes on a bit longer than I think it ought.
Now we hit a streak of three songs that AREN'T played on the radio. let's see how they sound.
Hendrix's voice on Love or Confusion is pretty nice, hitting some nice mids. The song is great until the solo and weird bridge part, where I am not a fan of the progression at all.
May This Be Love is actually a pretty neat slower song. Hendrix doesn't do too many of these, so it's good to hear it.
I Don't Live Today starts with an awful verse, then goes into a great chorus, dies out, and then goes into a sped up solo section. Some of the more driving drums in the world here. Surprisingly great despite it's terrible beginning.
Wind Cries Mary is another slower tune, but a bit jammier one. Pretty alright.
Fire will always be in my top five Hendrix tunes. I love it so much.
Third Stone From the Sun is the one of the best psychedelic tunes ever. It grooves, it has great drumming, it has ambience, wow. Another fantastic tune.
Foxey Lady mmm. I used to love this tune, but over the years I've grown tired of it pretty badly. time to put it in bad/good limbo
Are You Experienced? is a pretty lame way to end the album. It hardly sounds Hendrix, and the reverse drums aren't my fave. not a fan.

Highlights: Third Stone from the Sun, Manic Depression, Fire, I Don't Live Today, May This Be Love
Lowlights: Are You Experienced?, Love or Confusion
Back to top Go down
View user profile

small times for formidable people
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next