ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

small times for formidable people

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock
Dr. Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 1091
Registration date : 2007-12-29

small times for formidable people Empty
PostSubject: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Time to be the worst reviewer in the world hooray

Cheap Thrills by Big Brother & The Holding Company (1968)
For having some of the worst album art I can think of, this album wasn't too bad small times for formidable people 828944
Also, it takes some time to get used to, but Janis Joplin's voice isn't SO bad as long as she's not over-doing the raspy-ness in high registers.
The album infuses live recordings with studio recordings to make the entire album sound like it was recorded live, but alas, only one song wasn't made entirely in the studio. rock on sir brother. Musically, the guitar work is pretty neat and panned well and the songs jam. Sometimes the songs go on a bit longer than they ought, but we can forgive these psychedelic brothers and sisters in the groove for trying Wink
There really aren't any bad songs instrument-wise, but joplin's try-hard attitude and early on-set alcoholism make some songs hard to sit through, especially on Summertime. Turtle Blues is just a standard blues tune that drags on and is super bland, which is why it takes the spot as worst song on the album.
Oh Sweet Mary sounds like a heavier Jefferson Airplane song with tribal drumming, so I must make it a highlight. The final song on the album, Ball and Chain, is 9 minutes long, with half of it being amazing and half of it being utter garbage, so I put it as a lowlight.

Highlights: Combination of the Two, Piece of my Heart, Oh Sweet Mary
Lowlights: Summertime, Turtle Blues, Ball and Chain

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Father Adventure
GREEN, RED, YELLOW, BLUE, WHAT WILL YOU DO?!
Father Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 pm

listened to a few songs and the jams seem like they're trying to cram too many ideas into one tune!! some nice melodies and whatnot but the singing grrr
Back to top Go down
http://www.pain.org
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Jazz by Queen (1978)
Wow what an album. After the greatness of their first 4 albums followed by the lucklustre 5th and (from what I've heard from it) 6th album, Jazz is a good return to the past.
It has some of the better Queen songs, however it has my least favorite Queen song (that I've heard) on it so I guess that's something.
Mustapha is one of my favourite Queen songs small times for formidable people 308703
Jealously is probably my favourite relatively-slow song that Queen has done ow8 '39
Fun It just gets old over time, it should be shorter really. Same with If You Can't Beat Them, plus that one's a bit too dad-rocky/uninteresting for me.
More of that Jazz small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626
Bicycle Race, Dead on Time, and Let Me Entertain You are probably the heaviest Queen songs since Sheer Heart Attack, so that is a welcome change.
Interestingly, the album side flip would have been between Let Me Entertain You and Dead on Time, so Dead on Time works just as good as a side opener as Mustapha!! way to think analytically and musically and theatrically sir queen.
the biggest disappointment on this album was that May was only involved in writing FOUR songs on this album. Taylor wrote the two worst songs on the album (as usual).

Overall, pretty good album would listen again

Highlights: Mustapha, Don't Stop Me Now, Bicycle Race, Dead on Time, Jealousy, Let Me Entertain You
Lowlights: More of that Jazz, Fun It, If You Can't Beat Them
Back to top Go down
Father Adventure
GREEN, RED, YELLOW, BLUE, WHAT WILL YOU DO?!
Father Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 am

Let Me Entertain you so great and what a riff woah the long gaps of not much instrumentage are pretty annoying though you think they would have learned after We Will Rock You but no!! Mustapha is annoying Bicycle Race is the best ever
Back to top Go down
http://www.pain.org
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Gentle Giant by Gentle Giant (1970)
The debut album by some british Progressive Rock band. These guys sound like a mix of King Crimson and Emerson Lake and Palmer -over-the-top organ work +horns +more normal sounding solo sections +riffs. The songs all have very clear prog elements and they have random style changes throughout single songs held together by themes. The harmonies are quite great throughout, but over all i'm not a super fan of the vocals. The instruments are definitely the best aspect of sir band. If you're not offput by long songs and uncommon time signatures, i'm sure you'll at least like this album.
The melodies on songs can be a bit strange, but any time they go into a solo section, a song is saved.
Funny Ways is so King Crimson sounding it's almost diculous, but in a good way!!!
Alucard is kind of strange, it has a nice riff but the unusual reverb on the vocals and weird synthy stuff kind of ruins it. but the organ solo mmmmm still putting it as a lowlight
Nothing At All is the longest song on the album and has great sections and not-so great sections (namely a drum solo), but the great half of it sounds exactly like my favourite song on styx II
Why Not? is certainly the most rockin' song and has riffs and solos and it just works
Ending an album with an instrumental version of God Save The Queen where have I seen this before hmmmmmmmmmmmm (to be fair, this version came first and is MUCH better)

Highlights: Funny Ways, Nothing At All, Why Not?, The Queen
Lowlights: Alucard, Giant

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 12:42 pm

All Directions by The Temptations (1972)
This review is quickly turning into my opinions on the albums that are becoming my flavour of the month. but oh well!!
This album is easily my favourite Temptations album as it contains the full version of Papa Was A Rolling Stone. One other selling point of the album is the song Run Charlie Run which has them all singing about niggers.
As on all Motown Albums, the instruments are the unsung heroes. Rock on Funk Brothers. The vocals are good too, but the instruments don't get enough credit.
For some reason, they open the album with a live recording of Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On, which is like half a step flat and makes it impossible to jam along to small times for formidable people 991626 still, definitely a highlight.
This album has some amazing ballads too, but not like the cheesy early-temptations ballads. Of the ballads, the best one is certainly Mother Nature.
One of the ballads (The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face) has some random guy that wasn't a member of the Temptations singing on it, and he is SO out of tune, the song is unlistenable. Why random man why
The album closes with some Issac Hayes song that sounds great but is kind of out of place on the album. oh well

Highlights: Papa Was A Rolling Stone, Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On, Mother Nature
Lowlights: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Ain't Got Nothing
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues (1967)
This is my first time reviewing an album based only on initial impressions hooray
a little background, this is the moody blues' second album and it features some London Festival Orchestra. And believe me, it really features the orchestra.
The album starts with (mostly) instrumental "The Day Begins" which sounds like it could be the orchestral score to the beginning of some Disney movie, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Moody Blues don't actually do much until the second song, "Dawn", in which a guy sings and there's some drums and piano. Aside from that, the instrumentation is primarily the orchestra.
"The Morning" finally features some bass and guitar work, but it sounds awfully cheesy. some parts of the song are better than others, but they need the orchestra back. the orchestra comes back in and saves the song hooray
"Lunch Break" is a very uptempo song featuring the orchestra, and it sounds amazing really. Suddenly the song changes to "Peak Hour" (still considered part of the same song) which is like a quick-paced standard rock tune. It sticks out terribly after all of the nice orchestral work done prior to this point, but still a nice tune.
By title I hadn't recognized it, but I actually recognized "The Afternoon". Not a fan of the vocals, and the progression is pretty lacklustre. After the 5 minute mark, it goes into this strange minor section that I'm not a fan of. It's not bad, but it's not great. It does end with some nice falsetto.
"Evening" is the strangest song so far. the movement "The Sunset" has a kind of tribal drumming, and there's little instrumental backing for the vocals. It's pretty neat, but it kind of stands out for its uniqueness. Oh wow, the last section of this song, "Twilight Time" is amazing. it's got this nice choir with high-reverb mmmm I love it.
The album ends with The Moody Blues most famous song, Nights in White Satin. Not much to say about it, it's pretty good. The sweeping string arrangements work well as an album closer.
Basically, if you like Disney music or Hannukah music, I think you'll like this album. It's not really psychedelic, not really progressive, but very symphonic. One of my favorite albums I've heard in a good while.

Highlights: The Day Begins, Lunch Break/Peak Hour, Evening
Lowlights: The Morning, The Afternoon
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 am

Time to do one of my favourite albums of all time today small times for formidable people 828944

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie (1972)
This was the album that got me into listening to full albums. the album is roughly connected by a theme about the earth being destroyed in 5 years and some alien rock star coming to make the end of the world a bit easier. Great Melodies, great instruments, amazing album all in all. Although, I can see why people don't like bowie's voice but I do so hahahahaha certainly no bad songs on this one NOT ONE
Opens with Five Years, what a tune. Soul Love is hardly worth mentioning, it's pretty much just a major version of Five Years with a keychange. Moonage Daydream, easily the best song on the album, followed by starman, probably the second best but who can say for sure Wink
I personally like It Ain't Easy, but it's probably the most fillerish tune on the album. Lady Stardust, what an inspiration to us all.
Star and Hang Onto Yourself both kind of blend together for me, I don't think they're anything real special.
Ziggy Stardust, definitely my least favorite song on the album.
Who doesn't love Suffragette City?
Amazing album closer, certainly one of my favourites on the album.
if you happen to find the bonus tracks, Velvet Goldmine is quite good as well. Sweet Head is just "wat"

so yeah

Highlights: Five Years, Moonage Daydream, Starman, Rock N' Roll Suicide
Lowlights: Ziggy Stardust, Star, Hang Onto Yourself
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13924

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:00 pm

No bad songs on the album?! Then how do you explain Star
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Star isn't bad, it's just

not amazing
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 12:49 pm

time for a jazz album oh boy

Journey To Love by Stanley Clarke (1975)
I discovered this album when it was sampled on DJ Shadows' ...Endtroducing. Upon further review, it has Jeff Beck on guitar wowowowow There's even a song devoted to Beck.
The first song, Silly Putty, is a pretty standard jazz tune but with slap bass and a bit of fusiony keyboards involved. it's pretty funky, but nothing too special
the title track is super boring, not to mention the only song on the album with vocals (not good vocals either small times for formidable people 991626)
Hello Jeff is the song for mistour beck and it is easily the best on the album. it has this strange drum and synth thing that makes it sound super heavy. It is quite good.
Song To John pt. 1 and 2 are a tribute to John Coltrane, so they're played in more of a free jazz style, which sounds very strange after hearing the funky and fusiony songs up to this point. these songs aren't necessarily bad, but in the context of the album they stick out like sore thumbs. Pt. 1 is slow and pastoral but pt. 2 is more uptempo and actually has some neat guitar and piano dueling going on.
Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra, the final song, is 20 minutes long and is split into four parts. it's kind of all over the place, but it has the best moment on the album in part 3. part 1 is pretty slow and lame, part 2 is pretty groovy with some of the neatest synth sounds i know of with some neat, kind of soul-ish progressions in the background, part 3 just rocks, and part 4 is quite weird, featuring bells and some piano work.
The album is pretty alright. they cover a lot of ground and for the most part sound good.

Highlights: Hello Jeff, Song to John pt. 2, Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra
Lowlights: Journey to Love, Song to John pt. 1

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 pm

It's A Beautiful Day by It's A Beautiful Day (1969)
So yeah, i bought this on a whim, but it ended up being quite nice. There's not much to say about the album aside from the fact that it's great easy listening stuff. The instrument arrangements are quite neat and the vocals are great. All of the songs are a little longer than necessary, but considering it was probably made for getting high to, we can forgive them of this musical sin in their lives small times for formidable people 991626
It starts out with the song White Bird which features a male and female duet thingy which is super reminiscent of any jefferson airplane tune. Definitely a tune. Pretty happy and light, just a good tune in general
Hot Summer Day is more male vocally-focused. It grooves quite hard and the organ work is a nice touch and the violin soloing at the end is just sublime.
Wasted Union Blues takes a while to get into the song, so the first minute or so is obnoxious and hard to sit through, but the rest is quite catchy. We'll make it a lowlight small times for formidable people 991626
Girl With No Eyes is pretty boring, but still alright. One more lowlight to the list small times for formidable people 395509
Bombay Calling was ripped by sir gillan and his boys to make Child in Time, but i kind of like this version better than Child in Time (atleast the main intro slow sad and lonely see the light Wink part) It's not that special of a tune though, really. not to mention INSTRUMENTAL small times for formidable people 991626
Bulgaria is nice, but for the most part too long and kind of uneventful. Not really worth mentioning.
Time Is wow what a tune so much to say. Very upbeat, very catchy, super groovy, for some reason they include a drum solo in the middle, and then they go on for another 3 minutes with the same thing but whatever still definitely a highlight.

not sure what to say, I like the album, but I could certainly see why people wouldn't necessarily like it. Way to go sir beautiful day

Highlights: White Bird, Hot Summer Day, Time Is
Lowlights: Wasted Union Blues, Girl With No Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane (1967)
the assrape of the summer/fall finally comes out. Let's just say I listened to this album a lot so I thought it's time to review it Wink
Some historical context, this album drew the world's attention to the hippies. before this point, hardly anyone knew/acknowledged their existance, so let's give jefferson airplane a quick hip hip for this crowning acheivement.
Basically, there are three vocalists, one high pitched man, one woman, and one usually in-tune man who doesn't really sing that often. Instrumentwise, the drums do well, the bass is pretty underrated, and the electric guitar work is pretty neat.
The album starts big with the two fastest and rockin'est tunes on the album, She Has Funny Cars and Somebody To Love.
Then it kind of shifts in this cheesy acoustic direction. My Best Friend is so corny I can hardly stand it, so it definitely goes as the worst song on the album.
after my best friend are these two pretentious acoustic ballads. One of them is miles better than the other, but both of them are good. I would imagine anyone reading this review to dislike the long and drawn out Comin' Back To Me. Today has some great harmonies and nice dynamics.
Album Flip, and we have reached another uptempo, rock tune. 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds is one of the strangest song titles and it's only screamed at one part of the song. Still, easily a highlight.
These next few songs are good, but middle of the road compared to some of the rest of the album. D.C.B.A -25 is the song title, and it literally lists the chord progression. It's got some real nice rhythmy solo guitar work.
How Do You Feel has some flute work to start by Mrs. Slick. way to go slick. great harmonies on this one, one of the more folky songs on the album.
Embryonic Journey is an instrumental acoustic guitar solo song. It's real good.
White Rabbit mmmmmmm my favourite song on the album to be sure, but I know some of you will disagree Wink
Plastic Fantastic Lover is a pretty alright song, but a terrible way to end an album.
if you happen to find a version with bonus tracks, only the song Go To Her is worth listening to. the rest are out of tune blues songs or mono mixes small times for formidable people 39389

Highlights: Somebody to Love, Today, 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds, White Rabbit
Lowlights: My Best Friend, Comin' Back To Me
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Pampered Menial by Pavlov's Dog (1975)
The debut album by a band from St. Louis. What a town.
Just for the fun of it, i read some reviews of the album and everyone complained about the singing, since "chick singers" didn't come in style for another year yet with Delp and Perry (hehe)
This album was much better than I expected it to be. The instruments are amazing, especially the piano work, and the compositions are great. They utilize dynamics small times for formidable people 828944 and if you can stand the singer, I actually find his uniqueness great. My biggest issue with the album is that all of the songs end HORRIBLY. They almost always end with singerman speaking the final word with no instruments. It's quite strange. I would prefer fadeouts really.
That being said, the songs vary from uptempo and rockin' to slow ballady stuff. Personally, I find the ballads better by miles: Julia, Fast Gun, Subway Sue. The only uptempo song I REALLY enjoyed was Natches Trace as it has some of the most wicked highs on the album. Song Dance was super boring and bland, it really stands out for its lameness.
Episode is a nice ballad, but it would be better if singerman wasn't not-in tune the whole time *sigh*
Preludin is a nice instrumental featuring some nice keyboard sounds and weird time signatures the problem is that it comes off almost dream theatre-ish but this isn't dream theatre so highlight time babe oh boy
The final song is pretty great, with some nice bassy synth work and mellotron, but there's a section with singerman sings in a normal register that is rather off-putting.

nice album, it really was.

Highlights: Julia, Fast Gun, Natches Trace, Theme from Subway Sue, Preludin
Lowlights: Song Dance, Episode
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Boston by Boston (1976)
What an album.
so yeah, no bad songs some worse than others great instruments the vocals wow the vocals definitely the best part if i had to choose a worst part it would be the drums since they are the only not-over the top instrument on sir album way to go boston send those chills up my spine

but seriously, I think Scholz is a better layered-guitar man than brian may (that's saying a lot!!)
Peace of Mind, Let Me Take You Home Tonight, and even Foreplay aren't bad, just not as good as say the sweet grooves of Smokin' or the ballady goodness of Hitch a Ride and More Than A Feeling.

Highlights: More Than A Feeling, Long Time, Smokin', Hitch a Ride
Lowlights: Peace of Mind, Foreplay, Let Me Take You Home Tonight
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:49 pm

but let me take you home tonight is the epitome of guys who would never steal it ballady goodness
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Even though I got his album over a month ago, I don't think i've sat down and listened to the whole thing, so we can still count this is a "new" album right?

Deja Vu by Crosby Stills Nash & Young (1970)
the follow up to the amazing debut, i had high hopes going into this thing. They were kind of smashed, due to Neil Young's bad singing voice.
It starts with the great Carry On, which I don't think has Young on it!! It's as good as anything on the debut and certainly one of the better songs on the album.
Teach Your Children is the most stereotypical country sounding song ever, and I can't sit through it. Easily worst on the album.
Almost Cut My Hair is a very standard Crosby tune, as good as any of his others. Nice solo too!!
Helpless is alright sounding, but Neil Young small times for formidable people 308703small times for formidable people 308703 That being said, it's one of the better songs Neil Young has ever done, maybe saved by the harmonies
Woodstock is a pretty good, rockin' tune, and i guess a cover of a joni mitchell song. Pretty alright.
Deja Vu is pretty progressive. A surprise, but definitely for the better. Kind of a strange tune in general, but that's crosby for you Wink
Our House is a very baroque poppy tune, sounds like the Zombies did it, only with slightly worse vocals, but better harmonies Wink
4 + 20 is a pretty bland song by sir Stills. nothing too special. needs some harmony vocals badly
Country Girl is a nice sounding tune, the progression reminds me of Pink Floyd in someway. Some interesting instrument sounds on the song, it sounds way ahead of its time. shame about young though. If you don't mind Young, you'd probably think of it as a highlight, but I do so it's slightly below a highlight small times for formidable people 991626
Everybody I Love You is a slightly lacklustre way to end the album. It's definitely the most rockin' song on the whole thing and it sounds great, but it just doesn't finish the thing like I feel it ought.

overall, I miss tunes like Wooden Ships and Long Time Gone, the ballady tunes with interesting lyrics. Oh well.

Highlights: Carry On, Almost Cut My Hair, Woodstock, Everybody I Love You
Lowlights: Teach Your Children, 4 + 20
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:00 am

oh no i'm late oh nooooooooooooo
good thing it's an old album day let's make this quick

Breakfast in America by Supertramp (1979)
nice album nice balls
starts pretty alright, nothing too special
five songs in a row of greatness? sign me up
Lord Is It Mine small times for formidable people 39389 (not really that bad but certainly worst on sir album)
two bland fairly uninteresting tunes that i can hardly remember why lord why make it stop
Child of Vision Very Happy great way to end an album even if some might think of it as pretentious lameness Wink still nice jams nice progressions pretty great mmm
so yeah nice album

highlights: Breakfast in America, Goodbye Stranger, Child of Vision, Take the Long Way Home
lowlights: Lord Is It Mine, Casual Conversations
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

hmmmmmmmmmm

Their Satanic Majesties Request... by The Rolling Stones (1967)
Supposedly, this album is considered the Rolling Stones attempt at outshining Sgt. Peppers. We'll see how they do WinkWinkWink
starts off in a strange but good way. Various brass parts, Gang vocals and unrelated soloing? wow, macca and lennon singing on it? here are some props
Citadel is neat, and actually pretty heavy for the time period. nice guitar effects and solo-y harpsichord goodness. Mick is kind of underwhelming on this song though
In Another Land was written by the bassist I think, complaining about how his band mates were addicted to drugs. What a guy. The baroque-y pop feel is nice, not a real fan of the strange panning on the lead vocals though small times for formidable people 991626 The choruses are great though, definitely my favorite up to this point.
2000 Man huh it's a slower acoustic song with strange hip-hop drums that sound like they're in a different time signature, then it suddenly becomes good. not sure how I feel about this one, as the bad beginning makes it hard to get to the great end.
a reprise to the first song? wow shame i'm 3 minutes in with no vocals decent jam though hmm still nothing but i could certainly get high to this finally vocals at the 7 minute mark kind of weird not too great
time to flip the record and here we are at She's a Rainbow hmm nice string work shred those strings sir strings nice melodies too yeah
The Lantern, pretty boring, but nice acoustic work. random interspersed other instruments highlight in between vocals and verses and what not, they certainly make it MORE worth listening to
Gomper finally shows us that they can do a slow song well small times for formidable people 828944 maybe it's the bongos and other strange instruments backing, but it's pretty fantastic small times for formidable people 828944
2000 Light Years from Home is another one of those songs with a weird beginning that's hard to sit through but the rest is amazing. how dare you rolling stones small times for formidable people 991626
Final song let's see how it goes wow sounds great. Reminds of something queen would do, namely Seaside Rendezvous, but slightly more groovin' and better instrumentation. the piano work is great Wink

nice album, a bit pretentious and probably not as good as sgt. peppers but really it's hard to compare the two

Highlights: Sing This All Together, Citadel, In Another Land, 2000 Light Years From Home, On With The Show
Lowlights: Sing This All Together (See What Happens), 2000 Man, The Lantern
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 pm

2,000 light years away from home is a
long, long way from home
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Revolver by The Beatles (1966)
nice album to be certain
Taxman opens the album well the solo is kind of strange but its saved with the high reverb cowbell way to go harrison
I really, really like Eleanor Rigby, which i think might conflict with some of your opinions, but the strings are so nice not a real fan of the end though
I'm Only Sleeping is pretty alright. this song likes to get stuck in my head sometimes, can be annoying
Love You To, what a tune. Kind of repetitive but certainly great and the "big" sound they create during the choruses with the drums and the weird droning in the very deepest parts of the mix is fantastic
Here There Everywhere, pretty okay, kind of slow and gets a bit old
Yellow Submarine hmmmm I know a lot of people who hate this song but I don't know how people can HATE this song (I can see disliking though) that thing lennon does in like the 3rd verse is probably the best part of the song small times for formidable people 991626
She Said She Said is interesting. I'm not a real fan of the guitar tone, but it's fairly alright. I'll make it a Lowlight because I have to pick a few LOL
Good Day Sunshine could use a little more speed I think, still a good tune
And Your Bird Can Sing is probably the worst song on the album. Nothing too great here
For No One is probably my favorite song on the album. Not sure why but wow that french horn and the baroque pop sound mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm also that progression is nice kind of ends strangely
Doctor Robert is pretty bland. Nice harmonies by mr. macca, and the "well well well" part is pretty neat, but the rest is too repetitive and unneat small times for formidable people 991626
I Want To Tell You is kind of interesting, marvelous harmonies, but that one chord in the middle of every verse that they play forever kind of ruins the tune
I Got To Get You Into My Life mmmmmmm nice horns and marvelous tune the verses are glorious and the chorus is pretty good but kind of gets repetitive near the end of the song nice cadenza work by sir macca
Tomorrow Never Knows is so wow. I think the reason i like it so much is the weird bass tone and the strange drum beat that sounds so not-ringo the vocals could certainly be better

Highlights: For No One, Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, Love You To, I Got To Get You Into My Life, Tomorrow Never Knows
Lowlights: She Said She Said, And Your Bird Can Sing, I Want To Tell You

Last edited by Dr. Adventure on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Master of Reality by Black Sabbath (1971)
I heard sweet leaf on the radio yesterday and thought "hey why not"
I really like sweet leaf, so of course that will be a highlight. nice way to start an album definitely.
After Forever is pretty decent. it has some weird synth sounding stuff to start off and the main lick doesn't sound very black sabbath-y at all. Luckily there are plenty of other riffs that sound good.
Embryo is the very definition of filler. it's TWENTY EIGHT SECONDS long. You can't even scrobble that shit
Children of the Grave sounds a few years ahead of its time, especially for 1971. Not sure if I like it too much, kind of saved by the guitar screams at the end of every measure santa
Orchid is an acoustic instrumental. Really out of place on the album, but whatever.
Lord of this World is a pretty standard heavy tune, but it has a decent middle section. Kind of boring really. Could have used a speed up probably. Has a pretty great outro.
Solitude is pretty much Planet Caravan from Paranoid, but longer and without ozzy on vocals. It would be fine if it wasn't on this album, but alas small times for formidable people 991626
Into the Void is pretty great.

Overall, this album is pretty lacklustre compared to Paranoid. It's quite a bit heavier and much less jammy I would say, they play riffs too long and don't solo long enough. All of the solos are located at the end of tunes, too, kind of frustrating.

Highlights: Sweet Leaf, Into the Void, Children of the Grave
Lowlights: Embryo, Orchid, Solitude
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 pm

It's time for a new decade!!!!

Second Coming by The Stone Roses (1994)
there was a time when I couldn't stop listening to this album so let's look over why small times for formidable people 991626
First off, let's let it be known that this album is not even close to sounding like the band's first album (except for Fool's Gold, which I don't even think was officially released on that album). I like this album lightyears better.
My highlight of the album is the Wah-guitar man, Mr. Squire. go man go
singing is pretty just alright, but it kind of fits the music kind of
Regardless, it starts with 4:30 of filler, followed by amazing jams for the remaining 6:30 minutes of the 11 minute song. The only good part of the filler is some pretty neat electronic effects and unrelated feedback, and it's pretty easy to skip that stuff and still have a full length song, so I will consider this song a highlight hooray
Second song starts with a sweet riff and it jams super hard. pretty great song, pretty standard blues rocker
Ten Storey Love Song is slow and ballady, but it's just alright. The guy's voice isn't really suited for this style of song. but it transitions well into the best song on the album...
Daybreak mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
then there's Your Star Will Shine, which is pretty lacklustre. it's decent, but compared to the rest of the album it's not up to par
Straight to the Man is kind of a cheesy song, pretty fillery in my eyes. Kind of catchy, but nothing more than that
Begging You is a song that I love somedays and only like others. Pretty interesting electronic effects and it makes me want to dance BUT SOMETIMES I DON'T WANT TO DANCE and dancing is my life so it's definitely a highlight
Tightrope is pretty alright. the acoustic sound is nice and the gang vocals are pretty alright. definitely the best slow song.
Good Times is pretty just alright too. Pretty standard rock tune, works well. nice guitar work as always
Tears is so nice. Has one of the (if not THE) best solo sections in a tune. It starts slow and builds over time leading to the solo. mmm
How Do You Sleep is slow and kind of uninteresting and it doesn't help it's between two of the better songs on the album
Love Spreads was the reason I got this album and it works well as a closer. Amazing tune. Good slide work, nice bass, excellent drums.

yeah, the drums are kind of the unsung hero of this album, probably should have commented on them more but oh well small times for formidable people 991626

Highlights: Breaking Into Heaven, Daybreak, Begging You, Tears, Love Spreads
Lowlights: Your Star Will Shine, Straight to the Man, How Do You Sleep
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:36 pm

The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack by The Nice (1967)

Got this album because Emerson of ELP was on this album and I was kind of interested in how he sounds when not completely submerged in prog.
Starts with Flower King of Flies. Nice tune, nice harmonies, nice synthy sounds on the keys, and the bass makes it sound much bigger than it actually is. Very nice tune
The title track is pretty catchy, very bombast, super nice. great album so far
Bonnie K has some nice riffs and guitar work. Grows old by the end, but a good tune regardless
An instrumental!? and a cover of a Dave Brubeck Quartet song!? must be the best song ever shred those keys mr. emerson The drums keep doing the exact same thing and the bass too, so the soloing kind of gets old and i'm not a fan of that guitar tone. But it had so much promise :'( oh wow go emerson go play that classical tune that I can't recall you know for 1967 this album is rather progressive why does ITCOTCK get all of the credit small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626small times for formidable people 991626 and we're back to rondo way to bookend that song so hard The Nice 8 minutes was a little over the top so i shall make you a lowlight
another instrumental? oh wow this one already sounds funkier than that last one. The key work is even better on this one!! definitely a highlight, and strange keyboard sounds too? wow
Tantalizing Maggie would be much better if he hadn't put that weird effect on his voice. Just alright tune. yeah the vocals at the end are pretty bad. it's actually kind of saved by some classical licks on sir piano
The instruments are nice on Dawn, but once again the vocals are kind of lame. The guy is just whispering poems :'( This is certainly the most ELP sounding song on this album.
After two rather lacklustre tunes, let's hope that the last song saves the album!!! The only ballad on the album, very nice. Way to end on a decent note. not-instruments? hooray

overall, pretty good album. starts strong, has a weird late-middle part, and then ends well. The singer is my only problem with the album, but he's alright when he's not being weird.

Highlights: Flower King of Flies, The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack, War and Peace, The Cry of Eugene
Lowlights: Rondo, Tantalizing Maggie, Dawn
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 pm

not-new album day hmmm what to do what to do what is there left really hmm

The Doors by The Doors (1967)
wow
so yeah this is the doors doing an album by themselves with no outside help and being totally cool and whatnot they're also not-that off the wall and not obnoxiously bluesy, which will change drastically over the rest of their discography :'(
Morrison's voice is kind of overrated, the whole KEYBOARD MAN PLAYS BASS is a farce since he only does that live and not on the album itself small times for formidable people 991626 and guitar man is kind of inventive, playing mostly single note riffs, giving a bit of an empty feeling sometimes, and the "who?" award goes to the drummer mr. densmore who is always forgotten though he is one of the most perfect drummers on this earth small times for formidable people 991626 all of this combines into a wow so great album (not their best though)
Starts with one of their better songs. SHE GETS HIGH etc.
Soul Kitchen is pretty nice, kind of cheesy but not so cheesy so as to ruin the flavor Wink
Crystal Ship is probably the band's best slow-ish song. they don't have too many of them, so i guess that's irrelevant but
Twentieth Century Fox is a big piece of cheese. It's decent cheese, but it's just so large you can't fit it in sir fridge and it gets exponentially moldy with every day it sits on the counter top. The first slice is definitely the best.
Alabama Song is a nice cover from some play or something. There's just something about singing about little girls that feels right
Light My Fire, always a classic. Nice solos, fun song to play dr. exotica to for hours on end
Back Door Man gives us some insight into what the band would become after Soft Parade :'( although this is better than anything post-morrison hotel but still not so great
I Looked at You, End of the Night, and Take It as It Comes is a long train of mediocrity in comparison to some of the rest of the album. I Looked At You is hard to sit through, End of the Night sounds like it should be on Strange Days, and Take It etc. is certainly the best of the three, but it's kind of obnoxious sometimes.
The End.

so yeah

Highlights: Break On Through, Crystal Ship, Light My Fire, Alabama Song, The End
Lowlights: I Looked At You, End of the Night, Back Door Man

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: small times for formidable people   small times for formidable people Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

small times for formidable people
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next