ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

Reviews Supplemental

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7689
Favourite Band : Nirvana
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:09 pm

09 Dec 2011: "El Camino" by The Black Keys
It just came out, like, three days ago. I figured I should go for it so I can add it to my end of the year "album of the year" thing. And I'm glad I did.
This album is much more like Attack and Release than Brothers, but more in-depth and you know.
The songs are standard fare, but amped up to blah blah blah
tl;dr: the great songs are orgasmic, the bad songs are really good
Highlights: Little Black Submarines, Dead and Gone, Nova Baby
Lowlights: Hell of a Season, Stop Stop
In relation to other albums:
On par with Rubber Factory and The Big Come Up, better than Attack and Release and Magic Potion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:09 pm

10 Dec 2011: "Hot Fuss" by The Killers
I had an urge to do this one last night, so here we are.
It's, well, pretty much what I expected. If you like one of The Killers' songs, you'll likely enjoy their albums. It's all pretty similar.
Highlights: All These Things That I've Done, Mr. Brightside, Somebody Told Me, Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
Lowlights: Glamourous Not-Genre, Andy You're a Star, Smile Like You Mean It
Sam's Town was better, but this is about on-par with Sawdust.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:15 pm

11 Dec 2011: "In Through the Out Door" by Led Zeppelin
I was surprised at how much I liked this album. Usually, I find albums filled with songs over five minutes incredibly boring, but this album isn't.
Highlights: Fool in the Rain, In the Evening, Southbound Suarez, Carouselambra
Lowlights: Hot Dog
I may regret this later, but best Led Zeppelin album.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:09 pm

12 Dec 2011: "Stop Drop and Roll!!!" by Foxboro Hot Tubs
SO YEAH
The album starts off strong, then, just when you think it's faltering, it unleashes the best songs on the album on you.
Oh, and the song Alligator is CHOCK-FULL of references to Moonage Daydream (meaning they repeat one a lot). Shame it's boring.
Highlights: 27th Ave. Shuffle, Dark Side of the Night
Lowlights: Alligator, She's a Saint Not a Celebrity
IT'S THEIR ONLY ALBUM
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

13 Dec 2011: "Trouble" by Whitesnake
After the whole Aqualung plan fell through, I decided to go for this.
The album is actually better than I thought it'd be (it's been happening a lot lately, which is great). A couple of its songs are on my version of Lovehunter (albiet in session or demo form or something), so I knew what to expect there.
Day Tripper is better than the original, Take Me with You is just as great as the Good to be Bad version, Nighthawk, Don't Mess with Me and Free Flight have amazing riffs and solos, and Love to Keep You Warm is about the same as the Lovehunter version (which means it's lacking in comparison to the rest of the album, but still super-good).
A great draw here for some people (Yellow) will be the instrumental, Belgian Tom's Hat Trick. It was on Lovehunter, too, but this version is longer with a solo by Jon Lord.
Highlights: Take Me with You, Nighthawk, Day Tripper, Free Flight, Don't Mess with Me
Lowlights: Love to Keep You Warm
Tied with Lovehunter for their best album, I'd say. It's definitely their riffiest, at least of their more bluesy albums.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:31 pm

14 Dec 2011: "Blonde on Blonde" by Bob Dylan
I chose this album because I've been meaning to get more by Bob Dylan, and this album is super-acclaimed and came out right after Highway 61 Revisited, which I really liked.
Overall, this album is pretty good. Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again is kind of like Like a Rolling Stone in a lot of ways, length and structure being the most prevalent. Or I'm just crazy. Probably that.
In fact, every song sounds like it could be on Highway 61 Revisited; likely because they're a year apart.
Nothing on the album is truly amazing, but it's all pretty good.
note: my review system is all sorts of fucked up; "incredible" is becoming "it's pretty okay"
Highlights: Obviously Five Believers, Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again, Leopardskin Pillbox Hat, I Want You (She's so Heavy), Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine
Lowlights: Fourth Time Around, Pledging My Time, Absolutely Sweet Marie
It's about on-par with Highway 61 Revisited, though I'd give the edge to Highway.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 pm

15 Dec 2011: "Favourite Worst Nightmare" by Arctic Monkeys
This album was very good. And shit.
I don't know what to say; I think I said it all last month.
Highlights: Balaclava, Brianstorm, Old Yellow Bricks
Lowlights: Fluorescent Adolescent, D is for Dangerous, The Bad Thing
On par with Everything I Say I Am. They're very similar.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:56 pm

BONUS: "Suck it and See" by Arctic Monkeys
Once I downloaded Favourite Worst Nightmare, I realised that Arctic Monkeys released an album this year. What kind of reviewing guy would I be if I didn't do this, too? I really should put 2011 albums as priority.
Also, I needed more albums for my "best of 2011" list. This puts me at ten.
link to review
I actually think Brick by Brick is their best song, and it reminds me of LEGO Island, so.
The album in general is less high-energy and overly British, and has more singing. This is a good thing, for me, at least.
Highlights: Brick by Brick, That's Where You're Wrong, She's Thunderstorms, Suck it and See, Don't Sit Down Because I've Moved Your Chair
Lowlights: Black Treacle, Library Pictures
I want to say this is their best album.
So I will.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:02 pm

16 Dec 2011: "Holy Diver" by Dio
Well, I realised I like half the album from POPULAR HITS and HEY CHECK THIS OUT
I must say, Stand Up and Shout is kind of a shitty way to open the album. I mean, it's an okay song, but the title track would have been a MUCH better opener. BUT I STILL DON'T GET WHY THE WIND INTRO IS A MINUTE AND A HALF
And Viv's solos are like wow dude like woah man; even the worst songs' solos are like woah dude
Shame the best songs were the ones I already knew.
Highlights: Rainbow in the Dark, Straight Through the Heart, Don't Talk to Strangers
Lowlights: Invisible, Stand Up and Shout, Shame on the Night
YEAH PROBABLY
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 pm

17 Dec 2011: Chinese Democracy Revisited
This is a mash-up album of Chinese Democracy and Guitar Hero Slash's various projects. HERE WE GO
Chinese Democracy (Chinese Democracy + Watch This!) was better on Chinese Democracy; it all just fit together better. The ending of this version is pretty cool, though.
If the World (If the World + Slither) is better here for whatever reason. It's certainly more memorable.
Better (Better + Ghost) was better on Chinese Democracy.
Messages from Madagascar (Madagascar + Messages) is better here, but, as I recall, Madagascar was the worst song on the album.
Shackler's Revenge (Shackler's Revenge + Gas and a Dollar Laugh + Gravedancer) was just bad. I mean, really. Shackler's Revenge was orgasmic as it was, then this happened. Ugh.
Hurt! (Sorry + She Builds Quick Machines) is really cool, but it doesn't really fit as well as I'd hoped. It's a great mix, but the music and lyrics are very different.
Nightmareline Blues (Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith dialogue + TWAT + Better Believe It + Guitar Hero III solo) was orgasmic just because of the dialogue from San Andreas. Oh the rest was cool, too. Ending on "who cares about the listeners anyway" was a masterstroke.
Gotta Say (Gotta Say [Izzy] + Chinese Democracy + TWAT + Messages + Guitar Hero III solo) was amazing. I love Izzy.
I.R.S. (I.R.S. + Illegal I Song) was better than the Chinese Democracy version.
A New Beginning (Prostitute + Beautiful Dangerous) was super-good. Probably better than the Chinese Democracy version.
Scraped (Scraped + Shadow of Your Love + Welcome to the Jungle + Think About You) is probably the best thing ever.
If the World (If the World + Slither Unplugged) was okay.
Highlights: Nightmareline Blues, Scraped, Gotta Say, If the World
Lowlights: Shackler's Revenge
better then chinese democracy overall
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:19 pm

18 Dec 2011: "Queens of the Stone Age" by Queens of the Stone Age
/mu/ says that this is their best album. As always, /mu/ is wrong.
You know how all of their albums from R on have at least one extremely memorable song that just sticks? You know, Feel Good Hit of the Summer, No One Knows, Little Sister, Make it wit Chu? This album doesn't have that. It does have one song with a cool riff (How to Handle a Rope), but I doubt I'll remember any of these songs in six hours.
This album also has an instrumental. It's boring.
This is by no means a bad album, and it does lay the groundwork for R onward, but it's just so inferior.
Highlights: How to Handle a Rope, Give the Mule What He Wants, Avon, If Only
Lowlights: Hispanic Impressions, I Was a Teenage Hand Model, You Can't Quit Me Baby
It's their worst one. And I wasn't too impressed with Era Vulgaris on the whole.
Back to top Go down
Peewee
I LOVE SOME NEW CLOTHES

Male
Number of posts : 368
Favourite Band : ICP!!! jugallos fo life im down wit da clown
Balls : Your face!
Jakey : not my face!
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:40 pm

you plebeian Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

19 Dec 2011: "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden
Well, I figured I should do this, since I like Iron Maiden, it's a classic album, etc. Before today, I'd only heard the three HUGE SONGS.
It was, on the whole, better than I thought it'd be. The worst songs are about what I'd expected, and the best non-huge songs are better than I expected.
Highlights: Hallowed be thy Name, Total Eclipse, Invaders, The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills
Lowlights: The Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue
Doesn't even begin to brush against Iron Maiden or Killers on the way to the pub. However, I'll probably continue reviewing them because they're still among the best metal albums for me, which isn't actually very hard to be.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:04 pm

20 Dec 2011: "Blue Oyster Cult" by Blue Oyster Cult
Basically, this album is full of Cities on Flames and Transmaniacon MCs. If you like either of those, give it a shot.
Be warned, however, that those are the best songs on the album, barring the bonus track, Donovan's Monkey.
Highlights: Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll, Donovan's Monkey, Transmaniacon MC
Lowlights: She's as Beautiful as a Foot, What is Quicksand
sure i'll do another someday
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:36 pm

21 Dec 2011: "Thirteen" by Megadeth
I figured I needed to listen to it before January.
It's okay. A few of the songs were on the remastered Youthanasia in demo form, so Marty had a hand in writing or so I'd assume. They're more fleshed out here, which is good. Millennium of the Blind on Youthanasia was an instrumental as I recall (probably wrong), but it isn't here.
Most of this album is good, but not amazing. I feel it would be more interesting if not for Broderick.
Also, the song Guns, Drugs and Money is 4:20 long.
Highlights: Black Swan, Wrecker, Deadly Nightmare
Lowlights: New World Order, Whose Life is it Anyway?, Sudden Death
Better than Endgame and Rust in Peace; not as good as Peace Sells, Killing is My Business, Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, The System Has Failed, Countdown or hypothetical Rust in Peace without retardedly long solos and riffs.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:10 pm

22 Dec 2011: "Collapse into Now" by R.E.M.
I chose it because I need to do more 2011 albums, and I liked Uberlin.
This album runs the range between "filler" and "really great", like most R.E.M. albums.
The up-tempo songs are the best, while the slower songs fall short, like most R.E.M. albums.
Basically, it's an average R.E.M. album.
Highlights: Alligator_Aviator_Autopilot_Antimatter, Uberlin, That Someone is You, Discoverer, Mine Smell Like Honey
Lowlights: Blue, Walk it Back
Not as good as Document, but better overall than Green or Out of Time.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:31 pm

23 Dec 2011: "At the Speed of Sound" by Paul McCartney and Wings
I figured I'd play it safe today, as I really (arguably) haven't since Trouble.
This album is 60% Paul, with Denny, Linda and... the other two filling in the gaps. The obvious draw here is, of course, Silly Love Songs. Let 'em In is pretty popular, too.
Linda's only song here is... about cooking. Yeah.
The thing is, everyone in Wings could actually sing, so their albums sounded more like what you'd get from The Beatles (a shitload of paul songs and some by the other guys). Two of the best songs on their previous album weren't sung by Paul (at least not lead; he's in there). On this album, everything's about even.
Like Venus and Mars, this album's bonus tracks are mostly instrumentals. Not particularly good instrumentals, either. They're okay (better than Venus and Mars'), but they're easily the lowlights.
Highlights: Silly Love Songs, Let 'em In, Beware My Love
Lowlights: Walking in the Park with Eloise, Bridge Over the River Suite
Overall, not as good as Band on the Run or Venus and Mars. It is, however, better than McCartney or Ram.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:51 pm

24 Dec 2011: "Sometime in New York City" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
I chose this because I was out of Lennon's solo albums, aside from live albums and compilations. I wish I'd gone with one of those.
Yoko is prevalent on all but four of the ten tracks, and she's horrific at worst, bad at best. She ruins Sunday, Bloody Sunday, which would be an orgasmic tune otherwise. She ruins The Luck of the Irish, which would be pretty good otherwise. And the songs where she's on her own have very few redeeming qualities.
The songs where John is alone (on vocals at least) sound like they could be on Imagine or Mind Games, easily.
Highlights: New York City, Woman is the Nigger of the World, John Sinclair, Attica State
Lowlights: Sunday Bloody Sunday, We're All Water, Sisters Oh Sisters, Born in a Prison, Angela, Luck of the Irish
I am never, EVER, EVER reviewing another thing with Yoko in it. I figured I'd give her a chance; she can't be as bad as people say, right? WRONG. She's much, much worse. I should have believed Pinky and the Brain.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:32 pm

25 Dec 2011: "Living in the Material World" by George Harrison
I wanted something nice and easy for Hanukkah. I got it, as this is definitely Harrison's best album (of the four I've heard), or even the best solo album from any of The Beatles (of the however many I've heard).
All of the songs are at least really good. The bonus track Deep Blue sounds a bit like For You Blue, but not really. I think Be Here Now is about either Shoeless Bill replacing Paul or Shoe-wearing Bill replacing Shoeless Bill.
I don't know how to describe this album. It's George doing what he does best. I heartily recommend it to everyone here.
Highlights: Sue Me Sue You Blues, Living in the Material World, Try Some Buy Some
Lowlights: Be Here Now, The Days the World Gets Around, Miss O'Dell
FUCK I ALREADY SAID IT
Back to top Go down
Father Adventure
GREEN, RED, YELLOW, BLUE, WHAT WILL YOU DO?!

Male
Number of posts : 415
Favourite Band : Deep Purple/Whitesnake
Balls : jakester return
Jakey : NO U

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Better than

Ram?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pain.org
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:59 am

ram was okay; a 6/10 at best
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:58 pm

26 Dec 2011: "Carry the Banner" by Pinhead Gunpowder
I did this because it's short and has BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG on it. It's really generic. Not much else to say.
Highlights: Mahogany, Find My Place, Walkin' Catastrophe, I am an Elephant
Lowlights: Before the Accident, Reach for the Bottle, I am the Stranger, Certain Things
I probably won't do another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 pm

27 Dec 2011: "American Beauty" by The Grateful Dead
I was really disappointed with this. From track four to track nine, it's hardly any better than filler.
Highlights: Truckin', Sugar Magnolia, Friend of the Devil
Lowlights: Attics of My Life, Candyman, Brokedown Palace
I might do another.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 pm

28 Dec 2011: "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath
Another classic album that I figured I should review, having only heard the three songs.
The rest of the album, minus one song, is really good. Rat Salad is an instrumental, but it's short and good.
Highlights: War Pigs, Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom, Paranoid
Lowlights: Planet Caravan, Iron Man
I'll do another, sure.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reviews Supplemental   Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm

29 Dec 2011: "Keep it Hid" by Dan Auerbach
YOU KNOW THE BLACK KEYS GUY
It's a super-good album with no bad songs. At all.
Highlights: I Want Some More, Whispered Words, Mean Monsoon, My Last Mistake
Lowlights: Because I Should, When the Night Comes
It's on-par with The Big Come-Up, El Camino and Rubber Factory.
Back to top Go down

Reviews Supplemental
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next