ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13937
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Empty
PostSubject: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2   Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 2:50 pm

today, Activision announced Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, bafflingly revealing it on May 12th when May 16th is literally four days away
you could say that it's because today is Tony Hawk's birthday, but it's baffling why his mother had him on May 12th when May 16th was literally four days away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC8owhVU0cI

now does anyone really trust Activision?
ten years ago, they released THPS HD, which was pretty bad
i would know because i got 400/400 gamerscore on it, beating every goal and pro goal as Chris Cole
i never played THPS5, so i won't rag on it but i'm sure we've all heard all about it

so THPS1+2 (or as i like to call it, THPS2X) is NOT being created by Robomodo, the incompetent retards responsible for THPS HD and THPS5
THPS1+2 will be created by Vicarious Visions, who were responsible for all the handheld Tony Hawk games, and more recently the Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster
honestly that sounds pretty cool

THPS1+2 will have all the original pro skaters from THPS1 and 2, and all the levels (unlike THPS HD, which had a nearly completely new roster of skaters and only nine levels)
THPS1+2 will also have apparently all but two tracks from the original THPS1 and 2, which may be disappointing if it's like Out with the Old or something amazing like that, but music licensing is a fucking bitch so i can't really get TOO mad

they're being combined into one game, as evidenced by Steve Caballero (a skater introduced in THPS2) in a THPS1 level
also Caballero is seen doing flatland, and Tony Hawk himself is seen doing a revert
maybe we're getting new tricks from THPS3 and beyond, which would be GREAT (because I can always just pop in THPS2 on PS1)

i'm cautiously optimistic
i really want to get my hands on that warehouse demo but pre-order only laugh out loud

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjbx5D3lcuI

it looks GOOD
amazing what can happen when Robomodo isn't allowed near a project

AS A BONUS, HERE IS A RATING OF TONY HAWK LEVELS I MADE IN LIKE MARCH

EVERY PS1/PS2 NEVERSOFT TONY HAWK LEVEL REVIEWED
includes THPS1, THPS2, THPS3, THPS4, THUG, THUG2, THUG2 Remix, THAW
THPS1 - THUG2 levels played in THUGPro so there's no mechanics bias

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0di6EY1p20U
i didn't play THPS1 until after THPS4 came out so i have no bias toward it

WAREHOUSE
warehouse is THE classic level; the first level many many people played
basically, it's perfect
the main feature is the halfpipe in the centre, which has ramps so you can go over it; this was copied by the next two games' first levels, hangar and foundry
the secret room above the halfpipe with the secret tape is memorable and simple
there's only one rail but it's a good rail
despite its simplicity, warehouse is a fucking classic that i love skating in
10/10

SCHOOL I
school 1 paved the way for school 2 so i guess that's gotta count for something
it's a fine level, but it just feels so underwhelming
the pool area is only that, the school gym sucks, the roof of the gym also sucks
the best part is going from the beginning to the part with the drainage ditch and the random wall in the middle of the area
it's a level i never really spend much time in
5.5/10

MALL
the mall is the first downhill course in the series, and one of the better ones i suppose
the problem is that linear downhill courses are terrible for this series
the original concept for THPS1 was entirely downhill courses with skate parks at the bottom
glad we dodged that bullet
mall has some nice things to trick on, though
i like the storefront area past the elevators where all the good grinds are
the intro part of the level with the two 180 turns is unnecessary and lame
5.5/10

CHICAGO
the first competition level, and man they brought it
it's pretty similar to warehouse in that it's indoors and there's not very much to skate on if you really look at it, but what IS there is fucking great
warehouse, chicago, and one later level are the only levels in this game i'd bring back for future games honestly
9/10

DOWNTOWN (MINEAPOLIS)
this level feels empty
the dark nighttime streets look cool and all, but the problem is that the few things that are there to trick on are so spread out
it's a level to do the objectives in and leave
i like the rooftop area with the greenhouse, though
4.5/10

DOWNHILL JAM
fun fact: this is tony hawk's favourite level in the series
why though
it's terrible
it's an incredibly awkward downhill level and i really shouldn't have to explain this
0/10

BURNSIDE
one of the worst competition levels in the series
it feels like they just put down some quarterpipes in random locations, added a bowl, and called it a day
2.5/10

STREETS (SAN FRANCISCO)
out of all the levels in THPS1, streets has the BEST exploration and secret areas
this is the only level from THPS1 not in THUG Pro by default (meaning it's the only one that didn't return for a future title), which is a shame, because it's one of the best
the zigzaggy planter area is sweet, ascending the building is great, and it's simply a fun level
the level would have been an absolute fucking classic if you could grind the rails for the iconic san francisco trolley but alas
(also the scale feels kind of wonky at times; that one huge set of steps looks really annoying to climb; each step is so deep that it would take two steps to ascend a single step)
even without that, it's still the best take on the THPS1 style of "way too huge open level"
7.5/10

ROSWELL
the final competition level in the game, complete with aliens
it's definitely better than burnside, with a nice grind line and a cool box in the centre to trick on
it's nice but underwhelming as a finale
6.5/10

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esc8ifuYkm4
THPS2 was my first tony hawk game but it's not really one i have much nostalgia for

HANGAR
let's be real here: hangar is a worse version of warehouse
it's got the same halfpipe with ramps so you can launch over it, only there's also rails over it to grind, which are neat
you can grind on a propeller to open up a secret area, which is just another halfpipe
the left half of the level (looking from start) has a helicopter, and grinding the blades on that is cool
except that after grinding the blades once, the helicopter takes off, opening a second secret area, which contains a single quarterpipe
wow
hangar is a poor man's warehouse (or "warehouse at home" if you're a shitty twitter/youtube memelord)
6.5/10

SCHOOL II
school 2 is a fucking classic
the TC roof gap, the rollcall rails, the gap past the flags into the secret courtyard; it's all fucking PERFECT
the "wallride the bells" goal is bullshit and doesn't work half the time but who cares
the secret gymnasium is kind of shit, especially in actual THPS2 where you can't sticker slap/wallplant and do an endless grind combo on the bleachers
but really, it doesn't take away from this classic fucking level
10/10

MARSEILLE
a classic but not the greatest classic
it's a fun competition level based around the bowls with some fun grinds but i don't know
it just feels kind of lacking for how much people hail it as a classic
the secret area also sucks
still a great level though; i like that it got actual objectives in THPS HD even if that game was a pile of shit
7.5/10

NEW YORK CITY
this level never returned to later games (2X does not count) and it's a fucking shame
the level was too dark on PS1, but it's got a great layout and memorable locations and gaps
the fenced secret area with the secret tape reminds me of the big secret area from school 2, and it's just as cool
this (and streets) should be mentioned alongside the other classic tony hawk levels, and it's a shame that it isn't
7.5/10

VENICE BEACH (CALIFORNIA)
this is like THE THPS2 level and i get it
it's memorable, it's got ollie the magic bum
but it sucks
i do not enjoy skating here, even when the level isn't absolutely ruined by THPS HD's horrid physics
i get that it's based on an iconic skate spot, but it didn't translate well to the game
honestly one of the worst THPS2 levels
4/10

SKATESTREET, VENTURA
the best contest level in THPS2
i like the THPS2 take on the indoor skate park concept, but i feel like it's a bit busy in design without actually having much to do for how busy it is
i like the outside areas and the level in general; another solid THPS2 level
7.5/10

PHILADELPHIA
it's hard to rate this after proving ground did the FDR skatepark part better, the love park part better, and well isn't that the whole level?
i remember trying so hard to get to the top of the building to drain the fountain on PS1
then you actually do it and it's so fucking underwhelming
you can barely skate around in there with the pipes, and it's just a circular grind around the fountain part
FDR is the fun part of the level, and whoops it's also in Proving Ground so what's the point of playing this level ever again
4/10

BULLRING
this level's bullshit
2.5/10

CHOPPER DROP
it's a halfpipe
whoop whoop
2/10

SKATER HEAVEN
so you've got a bad playground, the wallows (which would be done better in THUG), and tony hawk's own house, complete with its halfpipe
it's cool aesthetically but once you get over that, it kind of sucks to skate
BUT WAIT THERE'S A SECRET AREA
you fall into the volcano and you're transported to!!!
ANOTHER HALFPIPE!!!
also it's a shittier halfpipe than the one at hawk's house
beautiful
4/10

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrTKYurbUTs
THPS3 was the second tony hawk game i played, but still isn't my BIG NOSTALGIA game
THPS3 has the best set of levels in the series
there is a reason why it's the best-selling game in the series

FOUNDRY
despite also taking warehouse's most distinctive features, foundry feels far more like its own level than hangar
you still go down a big hill to a ramp over a halfpipe, and there's also a big box area well above the level with the secret tape
but man it's all the other shit
foundry is a perfect first level, with a lot of GREAT grinds and grind transfers, and a lot of quarterpipes to try out the then-new revert feature (if you're playing THUG Pro it's also got some nice spine transfers)
it's a shame it never got reprised in a future title
9.5/10

CANADA
unlike foundry, canada was reprised a few times
this is the level that really introduced what PS2-era THPS was about, but i'm not that big of a fan
yes, the secret switch to raise the halfpipe and get to the secret tape is sick
but the rest of the wooded section just feels like a means to get to that switch
but the skatepark is fucking awesome, especially in THUG2 with spine transfers (the parking lot is nice too)
8/10

RIO
i'll be honest
this is my favourite tony hawk level
and it's entirely because of the circular grind around the perimiter of the skate park area
there's a secret area with a bowl and some dumpsters but whatever
that circle grind is SO FUCKING FUN that i would put this at #1 were i ranking the levels
10/10

SUBURBIA
one of the more visually striking levels in THPS3
unfortunately, there isn't much flow between the various backyards and the trailerpark
the mansion is a cool piece of the level, but it feels like there's not enough there
it's a cool level in career mode, but it's not one you'll return to much to just skate
7/10

AIRPORT
so i've been pretty down on downhill levels but that changes here
airport is easier to get back up in than THPS1's downhill levels, and has a LOT of cool shit to trick on
and the objectives are memorable as shit; delivering the tickets and visiting ten countries? nice
the COMBO letters in THUG2's classic mode are absolutely GREAT
this is a level that is simply a joy to play, even if it's a downhill level
8/10

SKATER ISLAND
skater island is based on a skatepark in rhode island that was destroyed by nature and gravity
this level would probably have gotten a 10 from me as a kid due to the pirate ship you access by grinding the pirate flag
as it stands, though, this is one of the best competition levels in the series
even without the pirate ship, it's just fucking FUN to skate this place
what makes this stand out from skatestreet or chicago is just how fun it is to grind around this place
skatestreet has some fun grind spots, sure, but it seems like everywhere you go in skater island you see a fun grind
9/10

LOS ANGELES
the earthquake is pointless spectacle that doesn't really do much for the level overall but goddamn if it wasn't the coolest shit when i was a kid
do i even really need to write anything here?
everyone knows los angeles is fucking awesome
it has some of the best grinds in the game; you're likely to find all the quakerails simply because you combo into them all the fucking time
my favourite part of the level is the back corner with the brown ledge thing and the quarterpipes, behind the building with all the glass
the only negative about this level is how bad the free ballin' objective sucks
10/10

TOKYO
so, the final competition level of your game - show me what you've got
roswell? THE BULLRING? that's cute
tokyo flawlessly combines spectacle with, you know, SKATING
tokyo is visually striking with the neon everywhere, making you say "wow look at that PS2 go"
then you start skating and it's fucking great
there's a loop around the level like rio (albeit a lot harder to do), there's vert shit everywhere, and there are rails and funboxes placed extremely well
oh and there's also a hidden area that i didn't even know about until like a week ago
the hidden area is fucking great and way better to skate than the pirate ship or the volcano halfpipe or whatever
tokyo is a fitting sendoff to the original THPS formula before THPS4 shook things up
9.5/10

CRUISE SHIP
this was my go-to level in THPS3 as a kid for some reason
as far as postgame bonus levels go, it's good
kind of annoying skating around the women who will fuck your shit UP if you skate too close to them
6/10

OIL RIG
now i know what some of you are saying
"that's an american wasteland level!!!"
well the xbox version of THPS3 got this level as an apology for their version being like a year late
it was later shoved into american wasteland just like the las vegas level from THUG2 remix
this is a very vertical level, to its detriment when it's surrounded by water
it's fucking annoying falling from the top into the water and having to wait and wait for the game to realise you need to be respawned
it's got some really nice grinds, but the layout sucks and i find myself annoyed more often than enjoying myself
4/10

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8UcVruNgE
THPS4 is my BIG NOSTAGLIA game and the one that really got me into the series in the end
i guess i just liked the "talk to a guy to get mission" structure
THPS4 has an amazing opening trio, but trails off after that

COLLEGE
the first first level is that outdoors
and honestly it's perfect but that may just be my THPS4 bias talking
college has shitloads of amazing grinds and fun lines
i love the "masters" gaps and grinding the college wall
the biggest negative against this one is in career mode when the football players permanently inhabit the colosseum (it's annoying)
9.5/10

SAN FRANCISCO
san francisco is a level for grinding and manualling
vert skaters go home
the waterfront area is sublime and the series of rooftops is perfect
kareem campbell's pro challenge on the rooftops here is one of the best goals in the series
FUCK that manual course that eric koston sets up though
9/10

ALCATRAZ
first i'd like to point out that i hate ranger bob i think he's evil
alcatraz is already a great level without any additions but the goals propel it to just another level
the escape from alcatraz goal is enough to show off why moving to THPS4's objective structure was a fucking great move
9.5/10

KONA
i hated this level as a kid, probably due to the SNAKE RUN SLALOM
now don't get me wrong, the SNAKE RUN SLALOM fucking SUCKS
but it's a nice little skatepark
the bowls/SNAKE RUN SLALOM section could be removed entirely and i wouldn't shed a single tear however
honestly most of this level's objectives suck now that i think about it; that may be why i hated it
misty flipping over the roof of that one building was fucking awful
it could make a comeback as a competition level in a future classic mode if someone good gets their hands on the series
6/10

SHIPYARD
the part of the level that is directly in front of you when you start is fucking awesome
then you turn to the left to see the rest of the level and it's SHIT
3.5/10

LONDON
london is a level of two parts, separated by elevation
the higher part is GRIND CITY with some great grinds, plus some nice high bowls on roofs for the vert boys
the lower half
whoops i forgot to write about the lower half just like neversoft FORGOT TO PUT ANYTHING TO SKATE ON THERE
7/10

THE ZOO
the zoo is why you make objectives to fit the level, rather than a level to fit the objectives
it's probably the most boring level in THPS4 to actually skate, and relies on the objectives and animals to carry it
it's amazing the first time in career mode, but then the novelty wears off and you're left with what is honestly a pretty bad level
better than shipyard though
4/10

CARNIVAL
now considering what i just said about the zoo, you'd think i'd say the same about the carnival
but no
the carnival has a lot more to actually skate, despite being a novelty location
doing the strength test transfer, grinding the rollercoaster, and hanging out on every ride is just nice
the objectives also age a lot better when you've already seen them
it's not one of the best levels, but it's good
6/10

CHICAGO
this is a level ported from mat hoffman's pro bmx 2 (now THAT was a shitty game)
honestly it's just not that interesting for this game
it's got some good objectives but it just isn't that fun to skate outside of that
4.5/10

TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOG3xZjX2j0
THUG is my other BIG NOSTAGLIA game
i had it for gamecube because walmart was out of PS2 copies

NEW JERSEY
a paradise for those who like to grind
i used to think the subway station part of the level was story filler, but i now see the error of my ways
(the actual subway part is filler, but the outside part is nice)
not the biggest fan of the shithole aesthetic but it fits the story
9/10

MANHATTAN
i've seen a lot of people call this the best level in the series
i couldn't argue even if i wanted to
i get that i'm supposed to be "mr. contrarian" but sometimes it's just not possible
this level is perfect
from the waterfront to the brooklyn banks to the actual bank to the veteran's memorial? all perfect
10/10

TAMPA
tampa is disappointing after new jersey and manhattan
it exists
the skatepark is not one of the better skateparks in the series
the world around it is just kind of "meh"
meh
6/10

SAN DIEGO
san diego is L-shaped so it can only be progressed through a certain way
the corner of the L is unfortunately the worst part of the level, so you can't go between the two best parts of the level without passing through the worst part
still it's a fun level with a good use of verticality
7.5/10

HAWAII
only the beach section of this level is good
wallows sucks and it's way too hard to tell where to spine transfer to get out
the city section has barely anything to skate on
it's got the helicopter jump in the story mode, but that's pretty much it
5/10

VANCOUVER
this is an incredibly solid level
i love the lines that run through the hotel
i like the infinite loop around the hockey rink
this level is filled with good spots but there's no one part that jumps out and says "YES THIS IS IT"
9/10

SLAM CITY JAM
one of the best competition levels ever
not only is the street portion fucking great, you can grind around the whole stadium
it's fucking sick
9.5/10

MOSCOW
if you like high grinds all over the fucking place, this is the level for you
it's a one-trick pony, but who cares when the trick is so good
9/10

HOTTER THAN HELL
indulgent and empty
0/10

TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r679Hhs9Zs
hi i'm tony hawk and welcome to jackass

TRAINING
this is warehouse from THPS1 except with an addition to the level that basically makes it twice as big
i love this concept; taking a classic level and expanding it, filling it with new ideas without taking away the original concept
it's not perfect though
for one, the original warehouse section's quarterpipes are all blue now for some reason and it looks like shit
i don't like how they changed the boards around the taxi either
i do like the swap of the ledge and quarterpipe for a bowl however
in the new section, there's just a pool of water randomly and that sucks
the new section is pretty good but the aesthetic changes to the main warehouse segment make me just want to play warehouse
8.5/10

BOSTON
does this level feel small to anyone else?
what is here is fun to skate, but it all feels so underwhelming compared to previous first levels like foundry, college, and new jersey
7.5/10

BARCELONA
now this is more like it
loads of grinds, nice spines, beautiful visually, barcelona has everything you could ever want in a tony hawk level
i also really like how it uses the roofs
9.5/10

BERLIN
berlin is a grinding level once again but what's wrong with that
again, great use of rooftops and a really nice aesthetic go a long way
the upper level of the church is a bit underwhelming, though
8/10

AUSTRALIA
everything from the parking lot to the edge of the beach is great (barring the random halfpipe)
the streets feel under-developed
the high lines on the tall buildings suck
the area with the go-kart guy sucks
you take the bad with the good and what do you get
7/10

NEW ORLEANS
i was prepared to give this level a low rating but then i played it again and immediately realised how wrong i was
yes, the destruction event for this level FUCKING SUCKS
but man this level does the focus on rooftops RIGHT
it's so easy to get to and transfer between the roofs of new orleans
i love the rail in front of the steamboat, and i love sticker slapping the steamboat itself
i love the grinds in the graveyard (if only they weren't tied to that shitty destruction event)
i love that courtyard with the alocholic fountain and how easy it is to get to the rooftops in a combo from there
i do not like being able to break the wooden decks on the houses with my head though
8/10

SKATOPIA
i'd say that the finale of THUG2 is the worst yet, but then the bullring had to go and exist
skatopia is aesthetically terrible, and the combo lines all funnel you downhill into the same loop over and over
i do not like this level
4/10

PRO SKATER
they tried hard
1/10

THE TRIANGLE
it's a lot like skate heaven if skate heaven didn't suck
5.5/10

TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND 2 REMIX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZgYdwLhlk
all of these levels were reused in american wasteland (atlanta only in the PS2 deluxe edition) but THUG2Remix is a way better game
(PPSSPP is great emulator just throwing it out there)

SANTA CRUZ
this level features some of my absolute favourite grinds
every section of the level is fun but distinct
it's a shame that american wasteland removed the secret area though
9.5/10

ATLANTA
another winner for the PSP
the level feels massive without ever making you want for stuff to do
shame the american wasteland version doesn't have the fucking globe
9/10

KYOTO
kyoto is divided between the city half and the airport terminal half
both thrive on grinds, but the city half has some nice halfpipes and bowls and transfers up to the tops of buildings
it's a really well-done level even if it doesn't have the visual pop of THPS3's tokyo
8.5/10

LAS VEGAS
better-known as "casino" from american wasteland
the american wasteland version gets rid of the big elevator to the high roller's area, which is probably for the best
the best feature is the spine from the pool area down to the cocktail lounge, which is simply beautiful
there are some nice grinds as well but i don't know
this level just always felt underwhelming overall
7.5/10

TONY HAWK'S AMERICAN WASTELAND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCfeUrTq07A
i'm using the "free skate" versions of these levels rather than career mode

HOLLYWOOD
this is not a good level
the best grind is across the weird bleachers on the walk of fame, which you can sticker slap off a suspended sign
the problem is that if you do that once, the crane raises the sign and fucks up the line for the remainder of your time skating there
once that grind's gone, so is most of the fun here
3/10

BEVERLY HILLS
as much as i want to be completely down on american wasteland, i cannot be down on this level
beverly hills has loads of great grinds and well-placed quarterpipes to cap off the grind combos
i wish all of american wasteland were more like this
8/10

DOWNTOWN
some nice grinds and good use of verticality
the underground section is stupid and pointless however
7/10

EAST LOS ANGELES
cramped, narrow, ugly, with a confusing layout to top it all of
ten out of ten
1/10

SANTA MONICA
some nice grinds all round but it's an underwhelming level
the carnival section sucks
the opportunities to get air are not in good spots
5/10

VANS SKATEPARK
this might honestly be the best indoor skatepark level in the series
a perfect balance of fun grinds and ramps to go off
there's always a way to get a combo going and to zoom around the entire map
it's fucking great
9.5/10

SKATE RANCH
a clusterfuck
1/10

THE RUINS
i was prepared to give this an absolutely horrible rating but it's not THAT bad
there are some nice lines and everything
the aesthetic is terrible, and nothing stands out visually except the giant donut
it's not THAT bad
4.5/10
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
Page 1 of 1