ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

TOP ELEVEN GUITAR RIFFS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13790
Registration date : 2007-12-29

TOP ELEVEN GUITAR RIFFS Empty
PostSubject: TOP ELEVEN GUITAR RIFFS   TOP ELEVEN GUITAR RIFFS Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 4:31 am

Links are included, timestamped to the riff in question. One song per artist
It's 3 AM so I might be forgetting something but my general rule is that if I can't look at the song title and instantly remember the riff, it can't be part of the list

11: Nirvana/"School" (1989, Bleach)
I know, you were expecting #1 for Nirvana. Oh well
School's riff is immense. Without it, the song is nothing, and means nothing. The guitar riff takes the song from filler to one of the most memorable tracks on the album.

10: Deep Purple/"Burn" (1974, Burn)
It's kind of obvious, right? Sure, most lists would put on Smoke on the Water (eugh), but I think you know me better.

09: The Beatles/"Hey Bulldog" (1969, Yellow Submarine)
Sure, it's just following the piano part, but it sticks HARD. Name me one instance of three instruments following the same exact tune that works half as well as this.

08: The Who/"My Generation" (1970, Live at Leeds)
I can try to put them down for the rest of this performance as much as I'd like, but that guitar riff is exquisite. Thank god for Rock Band, trimming this song down to the perfect length to get rid of all the see me/feel me Tommy bullshit, and giving us a context where this riff can be heard without The Who fucking it up.

07: Franz Ferdinand/"Take Me Out" (2004, Franz Ferdinand)
tl;dr it's perfect

06: The Rolling Stones/"Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" (1970, Sticky Fingers)
Putting the guitar riff in time with the title of the song definitely helps a riff stick out in your mind. I mean, Black Sabbath got away with making all their riffs follow the vocal melody for years. Starting the song with just the guitar was a great touch, and just letting the riff stretch its legs at the beginning was the best decision the band ever made.

05: Led Zeppelin/"Heartbreaker" (1969, Led Zeppelin II)
Is there anything to say about it? I mean, it's fucking Heartbreaker.

04: Ozzy Osbourne/"Crazy Train" (1987, Tribute)
There is only one version of Crazy Train, and it came out in 1987. I absolutely LOVE the tone on Randy's guitar on this song. I would 100% put this song on any "best music thing" list I make, regardless of how much I have to stretch to fit it. Luckily, that opening riff works so damn well for this song that I don't have to stretch.

03: Queens of the Stone Age/"No One Knows" (2002, Songs for the Deaf)
This riff has a strut and swagger to it that I can't quite put into words. I hate to use the word "badass", but if any riff deserves it, it's fucking this one.

02: David Bowie/"Sound and Vision" (1977, Low)
Part of me wanted this at #1. Ricky Gardiner played this riff. Who even knows who that is? I don't care if it was an accident, Bowie was a genius for finding that man, even if all he did was play the notes he was given. There is nothing I would change about this riff, this song.

01: Boston/"More Than a Feeling" (1976, Boston)
I don't know what the fuck you were expecting, but I'm not going to lie to you. I'm not going to plop a Cobain riff at #1 to keep up appearances. (well kind of) Yes, there are more technically impressive riffs in the world. I don't care. If I could only listen to one guitar riff for the rest of my life, it would be this one. When the time comes, I want to lie down and die in this riff's arms.
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox

TOP ELEVEN GUITAR RIFFS
Page 1 of 1