ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

game of the year all years

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13789
Registration date : 2007-12-29

game of the year all years - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 am

we're onto page 3, so here are the scores from the last page:
(review scores may be changed a bit to reflect current thoughts on the game)
Fire Emblem Warriors (2017) - Switch [6.5/10]
Yakuza 0 (2017) - PS4 [10/10]
Forza Horizon 3 - Hot Wheels (2017) - Xbone [4/10]
REVISITED: Mass Effect 2 (2010) - Xbox 360 [8/10]
Yakuza Kiwami (2017) - PS4 [7/10]
Yakuza 2 (2008) - PS2 [7/10]
Dynasty Warriors 9 (2018) - PS4 [7/10]
Yakuza 3 (2010) - PS3 [10/10]
Yakuza 4 (2011) - PS3 [6.5/10]
Final Fantasy XV (2016) - Xbone [8/10]
Batman: The Enemy Within (2017-18) - Xbone [8.5/10]
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) - Xbox 360 [7.5/10]
Yakuza 5 (2015) - PS3 [9.5/10]
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (2012) - Xbone [9/10]
Kirby: Planet Robobot (2016) - 3DS [8/10]
Pokémon Quest (2018) - Switch [a timewaster you'll forget about in a few days]
REVISITED: Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) - Xbox 360 [9/10]
REVISITED: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and the Damned (2009) - Xbox 360 [9/10]
REVISITED: Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (2015) - Xbone [8/10]
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (2015) - PS4 [8.5/10]
Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012) - 3DS [9/10]
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (2009) - Xbox 360 [7/10]
LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 (2017) - Xbone [6/10]

page 1:

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (2003) - PS2
I've had this game for fucking ever, and never got anywhere. This is the runthrough, I know it. I'm better at games now than I used to be, or so I'd like to believe, and I really want to give this game another chance. If this goes well, I might play the next game, Curse of Darkness, or even backtrack to Symphony of the Night. Who knows?
As a note, I want to say that this is one of the few instances where the USA got a better boxart than Japan or Europe.
US boxart
JP boxart
EU boxart (abomination)

Lament stars Leon Belmont, the first Belmont. (Simon was the Belmont from Castlevania 1, but Leon was his ancestor)

+ Combat system is simple, but effective
+ The decision of which subweapon to take with you is important, but you can change your mind at any time by backtracking to the spawn point marked on the map
+ Taking out a boss with just the right subweapon/artefact combination can be really satisfying
+ You can choose which order to tackle the first five levels in
+ Each level is very different aesthetically
+ Leon's lines in the cutscenes surrounding the final boss are great
- The fixed camera angles could be better
- Jumping has a really specific angle and arc; you have little control (if any) once you're in the air
- Backtracking can get really old really fast
- Hard to reach area has a switch to open a door to get a key to go to a different level and get an item, which you can use in the first area I mentioned to get ANOTHER item
- (It's optional but it's still annoying)
- The final boss is a gigantic difficulty spike
- You don't even get to fight the actual bad guy

This game was a good way to spend eight hours or so. It's short, but it doesn't overstay its welcome. I'd say it would have been better if the levels were each smaller, and there were two more levels. The Dark Palace of Waterfalls felt like the area with the best length in the game as it stands.
7.5/10
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 am

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (2018) - PS4
This is it. Yakuza 6 is the end of Kiryu's story maybe. I say "maybe" because even though they've already scheduled a new protagonist for Yakuza 7, and even said Kiryu won't be back, they did leave the door open for him to return if Yakuza 7 TANKS. We'll see how it goes. It's not the last Kiryu game ever, though, since Yakuza 2's remake came out in August. (ISHIN WHEN)
Yakuza 6 features two cities, Kamurocho (of course) and a new one called Onomichi in Hiroshima. I'm really fucking glad that they didn't set it in just Kamurocho like Yakuza 4. They kind of cut the top off of Kamurocho, but whatever. I would have liked to explore Kamurocho Hills, but it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.
Fun fact: every Yakuza game past the third has a subtitle in Japan. Yakuza 6 is the only game to keep its subtitle in the west. Because everyone's curious, here are the titles as they could be if they had kept the subtitle:
Yakuza 4: Successor of the Legend
Yakuza 5: Fulfiller of Dreams
Yakuza 0: The Location of Oath
Honestly, I would have kept not including the subtitle.

Yakuza 6 seems to be disliked by fans of the series, about as much as Yakuza 3. I absolutely adored Yakuza 3, so I'm optimistic.

+ Going inside buildings is now seamless and you can even do it in combat
+ THAT MOVE WHERE YOU THROW A GUY'S HEAD INTO A MICROWAVE AND HAVE THE EMPLOYEE TURN IT ON THOUGH
+ If you fight inside a store, the employees get mad, then when you come back, it's under construction to fix the damages (it's fine after that though)
+ Today is a Diamond (Honjitsu wa Diamond if you're a weeb) is the absolute BEST karaoke song in the series
+ P L E A S E get up my baaaaaaaaabyyyyyyy
+ The background characters in the Today is a Diamond video are actual Onomichi citizens (including snack bar patrons, time leap girl, and POCKET CIRCUIT FIGHTER)
+ Like a Butterfly is the absolute best female-sung karaoke song in the series
+ Only Kiryu could sing "fly like a beautiful butterfly" (in English no less) and make it sound like the manliest shit ever
+ The karaoke interface is much-improved over the PS3 games
+ The live chat minigame is a 10/10; I like the boobs and everything, but the actual chat part is hilarious (Sexbot9000 in particular)
+ They knew what they were doing; you can play the minigame entirely with one hand
+ They removed having to run around town with your hostess dates (I HATED that in Yakuza 5)
+ Being able to reply to text messages with stickers is more entertaining than it should be
+ The taxi can drive you to a lot more places now; almost like they're driving through Kamurocho now rather than around it
+ Haruka's Biggest Fan is HEARTWARMING
+ Ono Michio for president
+ CHARMING HASSAKU FACE
+ STEAMY ONOMICHI RAMEN HAT
+ CUTE FISH POUCH
+ COOL BOOTS (VITAL FOR ANY FISHERMAN)
+ BOLD AND TRENDY "ONO" SHIRT
+ Sega NEEDS to start selling those bold and trendy "ONO" shirts; I'd buy several
+ The Pocket Circuit Fighter substory is beautiful
+ The kabedon substory is perfect
+ The snack bar is a really great minigame that I hope returns in Yakuza 7
+ The conversation with Ando in the bar has some absolutely hilarious wrong choices
+ I also LOVE that a few of the snack bar characters appear in town running businesses
+ The baseball minigame is fun, if grindy
+ Trouble missions are neat and add variety to your wandering
+ You can finally FINALLY F I N A L L Y eat at Wild Jackson
+ That shot of Rex in the intro broke my heart dude
+ I legit teared up when the kids all crowded around Kiryu when he returned (I may have liked Yakuza 3 a bit too much)
+ The cutscenes in the fight against Ed where Kiryu and Akiyama team up were sweet
+ The scene preceeding the fight at the baseball game was sweet
+ Nagumo is the fucking best (Saejima WISHES Baba were as good as Nagumo)
+ The hotel raid was an awesome callback to Yakuza 3 (and a better gameplay sequence than the one in Yakuza 3)
+ The ending; all of it
- Haruka starts the game off with a Park special: "they want two things that may be incompatible so i will decide which one they'll get for them"
- The Shangri-La level sucks
- You can get the guy to say "yo go find cats for me dog" in chapter 1 but the cats don't actually appear until chapter 2
- The fact that cats despawn if you get into a fight is FUCKING ANNOYING
- The "Onomichi Alight" trouble missions never fucking trigger (seems to be a common issue)
- You can't jog any more; your choices are walk and sprint
- You can't take the hostesses on dates without going to the club and dropping at least ten grand immediately after (you could in the other games)
- Hikaru's dream is to be an idol, but she's the worst singer of the five hostesses?
- Ono Michio doesn't get a cutscene when he sings Today is a Diamond
- Ono Michio's performance of Today is a Diamond is registered on the leaderboards as "Kazuma Kiryu"
- There's an entire substory about getting Gen-san to learn how to use the new karaoke machine but then it skips to Kiryu saying "you're an incredible singer!!!"
- You REALLY should have been able to do karaoke properly with the entire snack bar crew (or at least a few of them)
- The clan creator minigame is aggressively mediocre
- The Amon fight is fucking RETARDED
- You're being harassed by drones and exploding roombas, and every single death comes to them rather than your opponent
- Fuck you

The game says I beat it in 62 hours. This was main story completion, all substories except Amon, all trouble missions except Onomichi Alight 2-4 and Kamurocho Alight 3-4, all hostesses, all live chats, a lot of karaoke, all baseball games, all clan creator missions except Amon, all snack bar missions, all spear fishing trips, a shitload of street fights, and all minigames played at least once.

The Yakuza 3 comparisons were apt. The Hirose Family is very comparable to the Okinawan yakuza from 3, in that they are 1: completely new characters, 2: total bros, and 3: never going to appear again. The city of Onomichi feels really similar to Ryukyu, in that it is 1: small with a unique personality from the other Yakuza cities, and 2: never going to appear again.
The Yakuza 3 comparison is also apt in that I really, really liked this game. There was never any part where I wanted to stop playing for the sake of not playing the game any more. There was no part where I said "fuck this". I mean, I did take a little break because I was feeling a bit burnt out since this is my seventh Yakuza game in five months, but still.

I have legitimately high hopes for Kiwami 2, but I'm still going to wait to see if there's a Black Friday sale.

9/10

PLOT: 0 > 6 > 2 >>> 3 > 5 >>> shit >>> Kiwami >>> 4
PROTAGONISTS (gameplay): Kiryu > Saejima > Akiyama > Shinada >>> Majima >>> Tanimura
PROTAGONISTS (personality): Kiryu > Majima > Akiyama > Shinada > Saejima >>> Tanimura
SUPPORTING CAST: 3 > 6 >>> 5 > 0 > 2 > Kiwami >>>>> shit >>>>>>>>>>> 4
SUBSTORIES: 0 >>> 6 >>>>> 4 > 5 >>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 > Kiwami
KARAOKE: 5 > 0 >>> 6 >>>>> 4 >>> 3 >>> Kiwami
FINAL BOSS: Kiwami (after playing 0) > 3 > 5 > 6 > 2 > 0 >>>>>>>>> Kiwami (if you didn't play 0) > shit >>>>> 4
PENULTIMATE BOSS(ES): 0 >>> 4 > 6 > 5 >>> 3 >>> Kiwami >>>>> shit >>>>> 2
CITIES: Ryukyu > Onomichi > Sotenbori > Nagasugai > Kamurocho (I'm numb to it) > Kineicho >>>>>>> Shinseicho > shit >>>>> Tsukimino
OVERALL: 0 > 3 > 5 > 6 >>> 2 > Kiwami > 4

a thing:
BEST COMBAT: Yakuza 0
BEST PLOT: Yakuza 0
BEST SUBSTORIES: Yakuza 0
BEST HOSTESSES: Yakuza 0
BEST MINIGAMES: Yakuza 5
BEST KARAOKE: Yakuza 5
BEST EXPLORATION: Yakuza 6
BEST GAME WORLD: Yakuza 3
BEST SUPPORTING CAST: Yakuza 3
BEST FINAL BOSS: Yakuza 3
BEST BOXART: Yakuza 4

plot tiers:
ACTUALLY GOOD: 0, 2
SO BAD IT'S GOOD: 3, 5, 6
JUST PLAIN BAD: 1, 4
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm

DOUBLE REVIEW:
SSX Blur (2007) - Wii
I found this game at a pawn shop for $1. I'd always been curious about this one, so I grabbed it.
I love the SSX series. I started at Tricky (of course), which I absolutely loved (I played the original afterward but couldn't really get into it). Then SSX 3 came out and was legitimately a 10/10. Unfortunately, the kind of 10/10 that makes the previous entry nearly unplayable, because it's just so much better.
SSX 2012 was way different, but I had a lot of fun with it, especially in the "just go down the hill and do tricks" mode.

So here we are, back in 2007 at what seemed to be the last SSX game until Deadly Descents was revealed (then rebranded to SSX (2012)), SSX Blur. It's a Wii exclusive, so I'm expecting some really bad motion controls.
"Bad" doesn't begin to describe it. The controls in this game are horrid, and don't work. You have no control over your flips, and just flip indefinitely if you trigger one. The course selection is mostly ripped from 3 and On Tour, but abridged because no one can stand playing this game for more than five minutes.

This is a broken game. It is absolutely unplayable.
0/10

REVISITED: SSX: On Tour (2005) - PS2
I first played SSX: On Tour when it came out in 2005. I didn't play much of it, though, for some reason. I have no idea where my copy went to, so I bought a new one for $6. I hope I like it better this time.
On Tour forgoes the "one big mountain" that made SSX 3 so cool, and has individual courses again (but some of them connect). It also has a character creator, which is okay. The big addition is that you can not only snowboard, but also ski.

+ The gameplay works on a fundamental level, unlike in Blur
+ Soundtrack is pretty good
+ Putting uber tricks on the right stick gives you more control over your air tricks
- But it means you have to be really careful when you try and land in a tail press/nose press
- The slow motion and weird camera angle during uber tricks really sucks (I wish you could turn it off)
- Aesthetic screams "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland" (aka the worst pre-skateboard peripheral Tony Hawk game) rather than SSX
- The campaign makes you play the same courses over and over and over
- Objectives get ridiculous at rank 50 or so

A gigantic step back from SSX 3, but a decent enough time waster.
7/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 am

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (2013) - PS3
So, I got this one back in 2013, and played a bit before I stopped for whatever reason. I vaguely recall some bits of it. I'm not starting over, because I was in the first level anyway.
I have an old unfinished review, which I will put in the spoiler below. Everything outside of the spoiler is how I feel about it today. (i keep everything)
(the date on the save file is 14 January 2014)
2014 review:

As I said five years ago, this game was developed by Sanzaru Games, who took over after Sucker Punch moved onto Infamous. (still haven't played Second Son; should probably get on that)
(also my comment about the coins was wrong i'm an idiot)

This game features time travel, and the five levels are based on some of your favourite time periods: feudal Japan, the wild west, pre-history, medieval England, and Aladdin.

+ Adding new historical Cooper family members is a cool way to add new wrinkles to the standard Sly gameplay, but not have to worry about them in every situation
+ The mission where you have to deface the posters was neato
+ It plays pretty well, considering how replacement developer games tend to go
- It seems like no one ever shuts up in this game
- If you fail a mission, you have to listen to the same damn quips over and over and over and over (games like this REALLY make me appreciate GTA IV)
- Carmelita is annoying
- Tennessee Kid's voice is annoying
- Tennessee Kid, the cowboy, is somehow the least fun Cooper to play as
- Aside from the race, the second level (wild west) is much easier than the first level (Japan)
- Fuck the race, though
- The motion control hacking segments: 1. they exist ; 2. up and down are reversed from how I do it intuitively, meaning I fuck up a lot
- Fuck motion controls
- FUCK motion controls
- FUCK MOTION CONTROLS
- F U C K MOTION CONTROLS
- FUCK NINTENDO FOR MAKING THE STUPID FUCKING WII
- FUCK SONY FOR CONSTANTLY COPYING NINTENDO'S IDEAS
- AND FUCK SANZARU FOR FUCKING GODDAMN-ASS FUCKING FUCK
- Motion controls aren't that great
- The final boss fight is a fucking quicktime event
- The game ends on a downer cliffhanger, and Sanzaru confirmed they aren't making another game

This game has a lot of rough edges. It's not bad, but nowhere near as good as 2 or 3. I think Sanzaru could have done a better job with Sly 5, but that's not happening.
6.5/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Okay, so. I've dropped this game. I don't know if it's for good, or for the moment, or whatever. I just can't take it any more.
I've included the review I've written so far, then there's a "-----" line, and everything below that is more on why I dropped the game after 35 hours. All I wanted to do was be a cowboy. I can't take it any more.

Red Dead 3 (2018) - Xbone
It's the third game in the series, but it's called "Red Dead Redemption II" but it's actually a prequel so fuck you Rockstar I'm calling it Red Dead 3
Red Dead Revolver deserves some Red Dead Recognition goddammit even though I've never played it
I have the $100 Ultimate Edition because I am more consumer than man (it was actually a gift because I am more child than man)
The UPS man just fucking threw the box over the fence what a goddamn asshole

The ultimate edition comes with a really nice steelbook, a larger map of the world compared to the regular scrub edition, and also the following (verbatim from the insert):
BANK ROBBERY MISSION & GANG HIDEOUT
DAPPLED BLACK THOROUGHBRED
THE NUEVO PARAISO GUNSLINGER OUTFIT
TALISMAN & MEDALLION GAMEPLAY BONUSES
GAMEPLAY BOOSTS, CASH BONUSES & DISCOUNTS (if this is with BONUS CASH, i'd hate to see the game without it)
PLUS GET THREE WEAPONS FREE AT GUNSMITHS (one of them is horrible, one is good but with scarce ammo, and one is outclassed almost immediately)

PLUS ADDITIONAL BONUSES FOR ONLINE INCLUDING
BONUS OUTFITS & FREE SURVIVOR CAMP THEME
RANK BONUSES
BLACK CHESTNUT THOROUGHBRED
FREE ACCESS TO ADDITIONAL WEAPONS

so basically to get the missions, clothes, and sick horse, i had to be a dirty cheater

I've seen all the previews for this game, and I'm kind of worried. Red Dead 3 seems like it's going to be the San Andreas of modern Rockstar games, but if I was my current 25-year-old self in 2004, I'd be worried about San Andreas as well.
San Andreas and RD3 are both about being in a gang, and allow you to recruit members of your gang to help you out on missions. They are both the only games in the series that let you control your character's weight (and force you to eat), and they are the first games in the series with full clothing/hair/whatever customisation. They're the first games in their series with stats you have to level up and improve as the game goes on.
San Andreas was bound to the limitations of the PS2, where you could just eat ten pizzas at once and then not have to eat again for a month. You'd start the game with not much hair, then instantly grow an afro in the third mission. You could carry five guns and a rocket launcher, as well as some flowers, a parachute, a knife, and some remote explosives. In RD3, you've got to eat like a reasonable human, your hair grows naturally and you can't just have an afro (maybe you can't have an afro at all!!!), and you can only carry two handguns and one rifle or shotgun. Your horse levels up with you, but it can just die, making you start over if it gets killed in a firefight or you accidentally jump off a cliff. But you can layer clothing any way you want, so that's cool.
Red Dead Online launches a month after the game comes out, just like GTA V and GTA Online. Serendipitously, that's around when Microsoft runs the promotion where one month of Xbox Live is just $1. I can certainly get sick of RDO before the month is up.

This is the first ever Xbone game I've seen that comes with two discs. Not even a blu ray can hold this motherfucker. The install disc plops 84.67 GB right onto your harddrive. Then, of course, you have to wait ten hours for the shitty-ass Xbone to download the 3.6 GB day-one patch. The digital era is fucking stupid. (the Xbone downloads are always way slower than on PS4 or Switch and I have no idea why; once everything's installed, I prefer playing on Xbone because of the better controller, but FUCK is it annoying whenever there's a new patch for something)

+ The clothing system is the best since Saints Row 2 (shame there's no hot dog suit though)
+ The "interview famous gunslingers" side mission nets you three unique pistols (in name, at least), and one is pretty good for so early in the game [ASSUMING YOU NOTICE THEM LYING ON THE GROUND]
+ The bounty hunts are great
+ The homestead robbery side missions are cool
+ German guy's loan shark missions are great
+ Hosea's mission at Emerald Ranch is neato
+ The mission where you get drunk with Lenny is fun
+ Cool minigames like poker, blackjack, dominoes, so on
- The inventory system kind of sucks and I don't know if I understand how it works
- The game lets you equip two long guns and a handgun, but likes to unequip your long guns seemingly at random
- Putting "look at to talk" and "aim gun" on the same button is retarded
- T U T O R I A L S
- I don't like how the game starts; it's really slow and the snowstorm/mountains does not work as a starting point for a cowboy game
- "okay boys loot the bodies and buildings" five seconds later "WHAT THE FUCK IS TAKING YOU SO LONG ARTHUR"
- The song while they're getting out of snow hell is annoying
- WAAAYYY too much railroading in the mission where you take the girls to town
- The side mission where you defend the woman outlaw sticks you with a $100 bounty that you really have no way of paying off when you do the mission
- You can only save four outfits at a time

--------------------------------

This game is way too liberal. It forces you to ride along on a goddamn women's suffrage march. This is a main mission, with no way around it.
There's a respawning character who stands outside the clothing store in not-New Orleans and yells about how she wants women to be able to vote. At one point, she just yells "LET ME VOTE" over and over like a petulant child. Have fun shopping at the largest tailor in the game with that banshee screeching all day.
There's another character in not-New Orleans who preaches about the evils of racemixing, and they made him a complete charicature. Back in GTA IV, they had a right-wing parody talk radio station, and also a left-wing parody talk radio station. They made fun of everyone. This game just preaches left-wing politics. I've seen videos of a big KKK meeting in the game, but I haven't seen it in-game, so I don't know the context. It's probably some fucking "SEE THE EVIL WHITE MEN???" bullshit.
Arthur is so liberal to the point where I find him completely unrelatable. His journals mention the Lemoyne Raiders gang, which is basically a group of confederate holdouts, as "living in the distant past", but it's not the "distant past". Arthur was alive during the fucking civil war. The civil war was a bit deeper than "HATE NEGROES".
I get that Dutch's gang doesn't care about anything but freedom, and it makes sense that they'd have blacks and such in their gang. I liked Lenny a lot until the mission where he complained about racism. I bought a cowboy game, not a "preach at me about racism" game. The game loves to remind you that black people weren't treated well after they were emancipated. I really don't want to hear about it. I just want to rob banks or shoot up gang members or whatever.

One mission, though, really got me thinking, but not in the way I imagine Rockstar intended.
One stranger mission has an old man ask Arthur to go back to his reposessed home and get back things of his that have sentimental value; his watch, gun, and ledger. Arthur goes to the house and finds out that the man was a slave wrangler back before the Civil War, and Arthur is disgusted. The player, I imagine, is supposed to be disgusted as well, but I wasn't. It got me thinking that, no matter how just and objectively right the cause may be, there will be victims.
We can all agree that slavery was terrible. No one deserves to be enslaved, regardless of how many statistics about crimes and murder you can dig up on them. But remember that slavery was just something they did back then. Down south, that was just something that happened. You can't judge people of the past based on the morals of today. This man was, according to the letters in the house, very good at his job. While his job wasn't a just job, it was one he received praise for. Once something is ingrained in your head as normal, then once it's ingrained as something you do well - so well that you receive a lot of praise for it - it goes to your head. Once your job is suddenly gone, it's hard to adjust, mentally. This man was so proud of his work because people praised him up and down for it, and suddenly, it was not only gone forever, but he was also put down for doing it. No one wanted to employ him, and his family suddenly wanted nothing to do with him. Everything he knew in life was taken away, and he was given nothing in its place. It may have been an "evil" job, but it was one he was conditioned by everyone around him to do. He wasn't to blame for his career; the times were. Now the times are to blame for him losing everything, and that's sad. It broke him as a man, and he can't move on. No one will let him, anyway, because they've deemed him an evil man for something everyone previously praised him for. No one gave him a chance to repent or move on. They just demonised him. It's a reminder that no big change, no matter how just, is without its victims and its tragedy.
But the game didn't want me to come to this conclusion, so fuck them. They lose points for this.

I could get past the controls issues, the dumbass weapon system glitches, but fuck your political bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 am

Red Dead 3 (2018) - Xbone
I posted a review a while back, where I dropped the game after 35 hours. The "dropping" lasted a whole week. I was just mad.
Take everything from that last review and add the following:

+ The art gallery stranger mission is an absolute 10/10
+ Arthur's banter during the bounty you collect for the electric chair stranger mission is brilliant
+ The remote control boat strange mission is sweet
+ I also liked the one where you shoot bottles off of a pair of twins' heads
+ The mayor's missions are cool
+ The variety show you can see in Saint Denis is a fun time (I love how Arthur can cheer and jeer at the acts, and come up to interact with the bullet guy)
+ Charlotte's missions are HEARTWARMING
+ May I stand unshaken
- Some missions don't even let you draw your gun so you can't even have fun failing by killing a character you don't like over and over
- The mission where you save Tilly from the other niggers is annoying and too railroaded
- Why did Dutch suddenly just start shitting on Bill during the boat ride and launch into an "injuns are good boys who dindu nothin" speech
- The hair growth system is more annoying than anything
- Arthur unironically says "it's current year"
- There's one stranger mission where Arthur is propositioned by a hooker and is surprised and says her name because it's someone we met before who wasn't a hooker then but fuck if I remembered her name (thank fuck for Google)
- The preorder bonus bank robbery is thoroughly mediocre
- Sadie's voice
- Sadie's personality
- At least Micah had the decency to be the bad guy

STORY SPOILERS AHEAD
Spoiler:

After beating the epilogue, I had a total of 105 hours into the game. I'll probably come back with another post later about Red Dead Online when that drops, which they say will be at the end of the month. Great timing, as it coincides with Microsoft's yearly "$1 for one month of XBL" promotion.

INDIVIDUAL CHAPTER RATINGS:
Chapter 1 - 4/10
Chapter 2 - 7/10
Chapter 3 - 8/10
Chapter 4 - 8/10
Chapter 5 - 7/10
Chapter 6 - 9/10
Epilogue 1 - 8/10
Epilogue 2 - 7/10

OVERALL: 8/10
could have been better
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 3:04 am

Red Dead Online
Let me tell you how glad I am that November is the "$1 for one month of Xbox Live Gold" month, because I'd be PISSED if I paid more than that to play this shit.

+ Most Wanted is a really fun game mode
+ New clothing options (but why aren't they in single player also?)
+ Your horses don't actually die forever thankfully
+ One time I fist fought a wolf and that was pretty cool

- There is no way to select which non-free roam game mode you want to play; you just choose "series" and sit through the shit you don't want to do
- Items are ridiculously expensive (more than the same items in single player)
- The amount of money you get from anything is pitiful
- So they can sell gold to you later for REAL MONEY BOYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
- The free roam missions suck and don't pay shit
- Spend 20 minutes delivering mail and receive $3
- No one fucking knows how to play King of the Castle so it turns into a frustrating deathmatch where kills don't actually matter
- The online honour system fucking sucks and basically means "no fun allowed"
- Character creator is shit
- Character is annoyingly mute
- Seriously, why not just have the pre-made characters like in the last game? Everybody was able to find someone they liked
- Controls still suck and make close-range engagements the fucking worst
- Races are garbage
- They force you to set up a camp you don't even want in an area you don't get to choose, then make you pay $1 every day to keep it up (fuck you)
- They forced my camp to fucking Saint Denis; literally the place I wanted it to be least
- No option to adjust how loud the voice chat is (IT'S REALLY FUCKING LOUD)

GTA IV multiplayer > GTA V multiplayer
RDR multiplayer > RDR II multiplayer
so it goes
so it goes
Spoiler:

All I want to do is play Most Wanted over and over again, but the game doesn't let me. If I'm wrong, it's still shit for hiding the option where I couldn't find it.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997) - PS1
After playing through Lament of Innocence, I decided to buy this game from PSN for just $10. I did some research, and all of the websites said that the PSN version worked well, which is always nice.
I don't have much of a history with 2D games. I grew up in the 3D era, and never really looked back. I've never played, like, Super Mario World or whatever. Even when I did play a GBA 2D platformer or something, I never got very far. You'd think that movement with an extra dimension would be way harder, but I've never thought so.
Knowing all of this, why did I potentially waste $10 on a game I may not get very far in? Well, I mean, honestly, I heard it was pretty easy if you explore the castle thoroughly. If I had heard it was a hard game or even a moderate game, I probably wouldn't have bothered. It's not that I hate challenge in general, but this is a genre and perspective I have virtually no experience in.

Anyway, SotN stars Alucard, the son of Dracula, who now wants to kill Dracula. Fun times.

+ The corpse ball was one of the coolest boss fights I've seen
+ Every different area of the castle is visually distinct
+ All the backtracking makes it abundantly clear how much stronger you are as you progress
+ The voice acting is terrible in just such a way that it's absolutely perfect
+ That intro dialogue though
- I keep going back to the fucking clock tower and getting my ass kicked because every other fucking new route that opens is obscure as fuck
- I wish there was a run button
- It's too hard to avoid subweapons you don't want at times
- The inverted castle is simply terrible
- Yes, the game is longer since you have to do it twice, but at what cost?
- Being upsidedown, the inverted castle is incredibly annoying to navigate (especially since bat form is so slow and one hit knocks you out of it)
- The new enemies in the inverted castle are the fucking worst, especially given the limitations of Alucard's movement

They should have put the Shaft/Dracula fight right after the Richter "fight", instead of flipping the castle upsidedown, filling it with shitty enemies, and forcing you to trudge back through it to find Dracula's internal organs. I really don't care if that makes the game only five hours long. I'd rather have five good hours than five good hours and five abhorent hours. The only good thing about the inverted castle is the dopelganger fight.
I've had this game sitting unplayed for two months now, and I just have no drive.
If the inverted castle didn't exist, this game would be a nice 8/10.
But since it does
6.5/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 am

Warriors Orochi 4 (2018) - Xbone
Acquired Black Friday 2018 for $40 from Best Buy
The third Warriors Orochi ended with everyone returning to where they came from. Warriors Orochi 4 starts with the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors casts getting flung back together again. This time, however, the left out the DoA characters. Also, this time we've got Greek and Norse deities in addition to the Chinese and Japanese ones. The game features the DW8 and SW4 versions of these characters.
Unfortunately, the cast of Spirit of Sanada all died in the way to WO4. R.I.P.

+ The "Mock Battle" feature is the SINGLE GREATEST ADDITION TO THE SERIES
+ Character dialogue and battle notifications are now in separate places, meaning battles flow much more quickly
+ It cannot be overstated how necessary of a change this was
+ The optional character conversations are fun and much easier to unlock than in WO3
+ Sacred Treasures add to the gameplay without being overly intrusive
+ Some characters whose weapons were SHIT in DW8 are actually good now (Zhu Ran's bow actually locks onto enemies)
+ Using the 8Empires movesets really helps out characters like Sun Quan and Lianshi, who are now 10/10
+ Holy shit Athena's moveset and also boobs
+ That credits song though
- No English dub if you're into that sort of thing
- There is a ridiculous amount of typos in this game
- The deified forms are a neat idea but they gave them to the worst possible characters (except Nobunaga, who deserved it, and I guess Yukimura)
- No deified Wu or Jin characters
- None of the new characters from Spirit of Sanada are in this game
- The icons on the character select screen are too big; it's annoying to try and find people
- I hated Sun Wukong stages in WO3, and I hate them now
- Some characters are just gotten way too late; if you're a fan of Zhong Hui, for example, you're fucked because he's unlocked in the third-to-last stage

Warriors Orochi 4 is the epitome of the Warriors formula, at least from a gameplay standpoint.
My endgame team was Kai, Athena, and Lu Lingqi. Honourable mentions to Sun Jian, Sima Shi, Cao Pi, Hideyoshi,Yu Jin, Hisahide, and Gracia.

Spoiler:

Total playtime: 41 hours
9.5/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (2017) - Switch
Acquired Black Friday 2017 for $30 from Walmart
Back when this game was first leaked/announced, I wrote it off instantly. Does anyone like the rabbids? They're like proto-Minions, which may be a bit insulting to Minions. Then we saw the trailer, and what the fuck why does Mario have an arm cannon
This game is a turn-based strategy game, in the vein of the recent X-Com titles. Only instead of aliens, you're fighting rabbids. Your team consists of eight characters: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, worst princess, and rabbid versions of those, of which you need to form a three-being party (I'd say "three-person" but I refuse to call rabbids "people"). One has to be Mario, and one has to be a rabbid.

+ Good sense of humour
+ Somehow there's exploration and secrets to collect
- The berserker enemies with the big melee weapon are stupid and unfun to fight (and common; very, very common)
- Remember the strength puzzles from Pokémon? They're back
- With a vengeance

I stopped playing this game months ago, and decided to give it another shot today.
I have decided that I'm just going to stop playing, around halfway through.
6/10, and that's generous
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2018 1:41 am

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (2016) - PS4
Dead or Alive Xtreme is a subseries of the popular Dead or Alive fighting game series. In the Xtreme games, you watch as busty women in bikinis bounce around and sometimes play minigames. This is something people find offensive for whatever reason.
DOAX3 never came out in non-Asian territories, but that can't stop the modern consumer. I have taken it upon myself to make sure this game is played and rated properly and fairly by a man of sensible morals. A man who likes titties
I had to create a Hong Kong PS4 account to download this shit. Hong Kong gets Japanese games fully subtitled in English for whatever reason. I'm not complaining.
The real problem with the HK PSN account is that you can't link an American PayPal account or use American prepaid cards. You have to get prepaid codes from Play Asia or something.

There's a "free-to-play" version, which gives you the whole game (minus the casino) and just Kasumi to play as. You can buy additional characters a la carte, but the pricing setup is horrendous. Individual girls are HK$81, and, of course, the codes come in HK$80 then jump to HK$200. The optimal a la carte situation is to get two girls plus the casino, which totals to HK$296, meaning an HK$300 code fits just about perfectly. But given Play Asia's pricing setup, it really makes no sense not to just bite the bullet and grab the HK$500 card and buy the whole damn game.
I used the F2P version as a demo to make sure I'd like it, then bought the game after much deliberation. It's never going to go on sale, and I'm not going to get out of this any cheaper than the $70 it takes to buy an HK$500 card from Play Asia. But hey I get some Zack Tickets (or "Zickets" as I like to call them) with the leftover HK$50 so that's nice I guess

+ Volleyball is fun
+ Tug of war is fun
+ Battling butts is fun
+ Pool hopping is fun
+ Flag racing is fun
+ Rock climbing is fun
+ Taking pictures of boobies is fun
+ The tanline technology is impressive
+ Momiji
- No western release
- Not enough minigames
- Why is everything so goddamn expensive
- The progression system and "owner mode" suck
- No button to max out poker bets
- Poor roster
- Where's Christie?
- Where's Tina?
- Where are Nyotengu's wings?
- Why is Marie Rose here?
- Why is Honoka here?

I probably should have posted this review several months ago. The problem with this game is the complete lack of minigames. It doesn't have much to do, even if everything there is is entertaining.
7/10 could have been better
let me build sand castles and play frisbee and swim in the pool and catch some waves or something
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 4:28 am

Disgaea 5 Complete (2017) - Switch
This is a port of the 2015 PS4 game Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance, plus all of its DLC. I played the demo, and have been waiting for a decent price on this ever since.
Each Disgaea game features a completely different cast, so it really doesn't matter which one I start with.

This is a grid-based grinding simulator, where you control both pre-defined characters and generics you hire. Most of these will be demon penguins who compulsively end every sentence with "dood", because you can't see that option in the menu and not think "oh shit yeah" or some regional variant.
Now, I know it may have seemed like a joke when I said "grinding simulator", but the Disgaea series is well-known for its ridiculous emphasis on grinding.

+ the penguins
+ Voice clips for some generics are GREAT (which is good because you'll be hearing them a lot)
+ REGIONALS
+ The end of episode fake previews are GREAT
+ The music in the pocket netherworld hub is GREAT
+ The grinding is nice, simple, and quick if you want to just beat the main story
+ The grid-based attacks are fun to play around with
+ You only have to sit through each attack animation once
- Except if you die, in which case you after to sit through all the "new" ones again, even the dumb long-ass drawn-out ones
- There is NOTHING more annoying than fucking armour knights
- Some male generics suffer from the worst shit ever: "draw a girl, call it a boy"
- The characters rely too heavily on personality gimmicks
- They just keep saying the same things over and over again
- Kilia won't shut up about his angst until the end of chapter 13
- Seraphina won't shut up about how everyone is her servant and how she TOTALLY isn't in love with Killia
- Red Magnus won't super shut up about about super being the strongest overlord (and the wrestling phrases get tiresome after a while)
- Usalia won't shut up about curry and uses the same exact phrasing every time she brings up her TRAGIC BACKSTORY, and also says fucking "plip" all the time even though that means fucking nothing
- Plip
- Killia spends the whole game mourning Lieze but then we get a flashback to when she was alive and whoop she's the absolute worst
- "FLOWERS ARE ALIVE AND HAVE FEELINGS :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((("
- The game pulls the "IF YOU KILL THE VILLAIN YOU'LL BE JUST LIKE HER :(((((((((((((((((" bullshit
- Because killing an irredeemable psychopath is 100% the same as killing millions of people and making their corpses work for you in an abomination of unlife
- Basically, I hate Usalia for absolutely everything
- Plip
- You have to fight Bloodis fucking eight times

All of my complaints are really about the characters, but I honestly don't feel strongly enough about them to let it affect the rating much. I enjoyed the game, and would play another one.

7.5/10
save file game time was 49 hours and there's still a postgame (mostly grinding)
also shoutout to my boy Dave the prinny
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Soul Calibur VI (2018) - PS4
2012's Soul Calibur V was controversial among fans. While the gameplay itself was as good as ever, no one liked the timeskip, and the removal of almost every character in the series. Characters in that game were replaced by their children, and while some characters like Siegfried returned, no one liked Xiba as much as Kilik or Natsu as much as Taki. (I still say Xianghua's replacement was a massive improvement)
Soul Calibur VI, in reponse to that criticism, takes place between the first Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur II. Classic characters like Sophitia return, even including some SC3 characters like Zasalamel and Tira*.
*You DID buy the season pass, right??????????????????????

This game's guest character is Geralt, from The Witcher. 10/10 choice, no complaints. He fits in really well, and even gets his original voice actor back.
SC5's guest, Ezio (from Assassin's Creed), also fit really well into the game. Honestly, I would have been cool with him becoming a full-time cast member. FUCK SC4's Star Wars characters, though.

+ That intro cutscene was great
+ Geralt's soul charge animation has him drink a potion
+ You can finally use the main cast's actual outfits and hairstyles in character creation
+ The two single-player modes, Libra of Soul and Soul Chronicle, actually run parallel and interact with eachother (start Libra first though or you'll miss it)
+ Libra of Soul is a great single-player mode; it's similar to Weapon Master from SC2, but with less reading and less filler (and you're a created character for real rather than "you but you're playing as Link")
+ The Shimazu tournament quest where you are in permanent crazy mode was sick
+ The sheer amount of side missions in Libra of Soul is impressive, considering it's just one of two single player modes
- Slippery battles are FRUSTRATING
- LOW ATTACKS ONLY BATTLES ARE THE FUCKING WORST (unless you're Mitsurugi in which case they're easy)
- What the fuck is that ending on Libra of Soul
- You strike Groh down and he's like "forgive me" but then it cuts to a still image of him standing in a grassy field thanking you for saving him? what
- Ivy's new voice actress is terrible
- Soul Chronicle's voice acting sounds like everyone only got one take for each line, and they couldn't read the script beforehand

I've been looking for a great single player fighting game mode since 2003, when SC2's Weapon Master set the bar, and I finally found one here, fifteen years later in SC6. (for the record, though, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution and VF5 also had good single player modes)
I would have been happy with just Libra of Soul, but adding Soul Chronicle makes the package absolutely worth it. I may actually buy the season pass at some point. (but not until I know everything that's in it; I'm not retarded)
(note that I would NOT have been happy with just Soul Chronicle; it's honestly just okay, but it complements Libra perfectly)

9/10

I've played every Soul Calibur game since SC2, and here is how I rank the five games, from worst to best, as a single-player fighting games man:
5. SC3
4. SC5
3. SC4
2. SC2
1. SC6
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Forza Horizon 4 (2018) - Xbone
Last year, I played Horizon 2 and 3 for the first time, and had a great, uh, time. Horizon 2 was set in France and Italy, 3 was set in Australia, and now 4 is going back to Europe to take place in England.
oi you bloody wankers
by the queen's smibbly what have you cheeky gits done with my motorised rollingham
i say it is simply pimpèd out
time for celebrationing with some tea and bloody scones

At E3, I had thought Playground Games had ruined the series. In Horizon 4, instead of the gameworld being populated by AI drivers, it is populated by real players. I had assumed this would lead to griefing, over-crowding, and just general annoyance. Drift challenges were frustrating enough without other people blocking the lanes. THANKFULLY, online players are intangible unless they're in your Xbox Live party, and also thankfully, you can turn that setting off and go back to AI drivers. (which is what I did)

In Horizon 3, you (the player) ran the Horizon Festival, and got to make decisions that would affect where the festival would go next. It all ended up the same, of course, since everything would top out the same way, but it was neat. I liked being able to avoid the city for a while.
In Horizon 4, you are once again just another competitor, like in Horizon 2. FORTUNATELY, Horizon 4 doesn't require you to do the tedious, repetitive road trips that Horizon 2 did. I already miss being the boss, but it's not a dealbreaker or anything. I still get to be called Sonny Jim, so I'm happy.

+ The progression system is kind of cool; you progress within the type of races you're doing, rather than having to do everything
+ The stuntman career path is a much cooler way to wrap the "bucketlist challenges" of previous games
+ I can still race my 1975 Ford Bronco
+ The Honda S2000 is in this game finally
+ Buying property is neat
+ Pausing the game shows you the name, artist, and album cover of the song that's playing
+ You can clothe an avatar and make him do the dance moves of your choice
+ Only the first two showcases seem to be required
+ DRIFT ZONES NOW MAKE TRAFFIC INTANGIBLE
+ THIS IS THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT
+ Unlocking street races no longer requires you to do a million dumbass head-to-head races
- """Flossing""" is one of the """dances"""
- 21 GB update right out of the goddamn box
- Not sure I like the new aesthetic, particularly the end of race thing
- When they say "seasons change everything", they really mean "seasons make everything more annoying and less convenient" but that's not good marketing
- Seasons cycle and have season-specific events, which seems like it will get really annoying
- Especially since winter is the "you can't do anything but offroad races" season
- Putting the system in sleep mode can make it start without sound when you boot it back up and you have to reboot the game
- Stop mentioning Rebbit you fucking cancer
- Stupid-ass "BUY XBOX LIVE GOLD" ad every time I boot up the fucking game
- The final race requires you to grind out road races to get to level 20 road racing (completing all road races once got me to level 10)

Forza Horizon 3 was exactly what a sequel should be. It took everything good about Horizon 2 with it, and hucked all the dumb bullshit (road trips) into the garbage.
Forza Horizon 4 is also exactly what a sequel should be. It's not as big a jump from 3 as 3 was from 2, but Horizon 3 had a lot less wrong with it. They both did the same thing; taking what works and sticking with it, and taking what doesn't work, and fixing it.
That being said, if you really liked the Australia map from Horizon 3, you'll probably prefer that game. The changes are VERY welcome and necessary (except maybe seasons), but I don't believe they're so significant that it makes going backward impossible. In the end, Horizon 4 is just as good as Horizon 3 was, and that's how I want my sequels to be. (if you were to pull my arm though I'd give the edge to Horizon 3)
9/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm

Octopath Traveller (2018) - Switch
I have dropped this game. For real this time; not that bullshit I did with RDR.
Octopath Traveller is a game that could have been absolutely great, but the developers decided that that's for wusses. I got to every one of the eight characters' chapter 4 (the last one), then dropped the game during Ophilia's final boss. Alfyn's second and third bosses also didn't help matters, but I got through them in spite of everything. Ophilia's chapter 4 boss, however, took everything too far.

This game's combat is based around "breaking" the enemies' defenses. You use attacks the enemy is weak to, and whittle down their defense number until it hits zero. Once that happens, the enemy is unable to move for two rounds (including the round it was broken on), and also takes more damage. If you fail to kill the enemy while it is broken, it will ALWAYS take its turn(s) first next round. Bosses get multiple turns per round, with some, like Alfyn's third boss, getting up to six turns in one round. Thus, it becomes imperative to break the enemies' guard as quickly as possible, and use abilities to make sure they take most of their turns last in a round. This is a unique, fun idea for a combat system that could have worked really well. Shame they decided to make it horrible.
In some later boss fights, the boss can summon minions that "protect" it. While the boss's minions are present, the boss's defenses cannot be broken. This is annoying, but something you come to accept.

However, Ophilia's chapter 4 boss takes it up a notch. Let's start from the beginning. (I tried to do this at level 48, and the "recommended" level was 45)
The boss is a mage, and can attack all of your guys at once for well over half their health. The boss gets two turns per round.
The boss is weak to swords, axes, ice magic, and light magic. Of these, ice magic is the only one that can be reliably used more than once in a single character's turn without expending the most precious resource, BP. If the boss gets two attacks off before you can heal, your characters will die. Luckily, the first of his turns on the round after being broken is spend increasing his defenses. This means that, if you use leghold trap, it's simple to get him broken before he can destroy you.
I thought this was the main puzzle of the fight, and was satisfied with my solution. Up to this point, it felt like I had used every trick I'd learned throughout the game to succeed. If this had continued, I would have thought this was a very good boss fight. I wouldn't be typing this right now, in other words. I'd be playing the game still.
Once the boss hits red health, the entire game changes. He still gets two turns per round, and can still destroy your entire party with two attacks. However, now he summons two minions to protect his weaknesses. Alone, this wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, he also does something completely new that no one could have been prepared for. Remember that this is ten minutes into the fight.
The boss locks away your magic. You can't cast spells. I can't recover from this. Two of my characters are full-on mages geared up to do nothing but cast spells, and one is a support character geared up to do nothing but use leghold trap, exploit arrow weaknesses, and buff the other party members. So now my party only has one character who can do damage, and the goons sure as shit aren't weak to what he uses.
Complete party wipe, with no way I could have possibly prepared.
Fuck this game. I have no doubt in my mind that every other character's final boss will play out the same exact fucking way.
6/10
fun for around 30 hours
pissed me right the fuck off after that

see also:
https://ye-ye-ye.forumotion.com/t1688-octopath-traveller-can-kiss-my-pasty-white-ass#13802

original review:
Octopath Traveller is a JRPG from Square-Enix. You select one of eight characters, do their prologue, then run around and collect the other seven characters, doing their prologues. The eight characters are divided into noble and rogue characters. It's hard to explain "path action" in words, so I'll list out the counterpart characters and show you what I mean:

Noble / Rogue - noble path action / rogue path action
Ophilia / Primrose - get people to follow her for the lord!!! / seduce people to follow her
Alfyn / Cyrus - sweet-talk people into sharing their life story / ruthlessly interrogate people to learn their life story
Tressa / Therion - buy shit off people / steal shit off people
Olberic / H'aanit - challenge people to spar / sic wild animals on people
(goddammit if Alfyn and Cyrus's names had been switched, I wouldn't have had to actually SAY that the first letters of the names spell out OCTOPATH)

I played the first demo, where you play as Olberic, and liked the game. I played the second demo, where you can play as anyone, and it 100% sold me on the game. (then I had to wait a month for it to come out) (then I had to wait for it to not be $60 because fuck that)
You can do each character's chapters in any order. Due to the recommended level for each chapter, I ended up doing all the chapter 1s, then all the 2s, and so on. Here's my order:
Spoiler:

+ The voice acting is surprisingly really good
+ Especially the confrontation in Olberic's chapter three
+ MY FOCUS IS UNPARALLELLED
+ There is a fast travel system, which is a godsend for being able to recruit characters in a decent order, and being able to go back and do side quests
+ The combat system is really well-done (on-the-fly mid-battle weapon-switching, being able to overclock to do multiple attacks in one turn)
+ How you get secondary classes is an interesting system, and it's cool that each character gets a new set of sprites for each class
+ Character prologues aren't just "YOU'RE THE CHOSEN ONE"; it's just mostly-normal-ass people with different backgrounds going on a journey for different reasons
+ Cyrus's autism is really endearing
+ Tressa's prologue is the perfect place for the game to start (shame I didn't start with her)
+ The amount of random encounters is great if you're trying to get from point A to point B
- The amount of random encounters is fucking infuriating if you're trying to grind
- The game starts you with just one party member, making the battles kind of drag until you get a second or third guy
- Bosses are just walls of HP; the fights take so goddamn long
- The bosses' minions that you have to kill are way too tanky; just have them die quicker and have the boss summon them more frequently for fuck's sake
- The required thievery in Therion's chapters is just annoying; you HAVE to steal something, but you have a single-digit percent chance to do so, and you have to pay a $2,500 fine if you fail five times
- Alfyn's chapter 2 boss is a random difficulty spike for no reason (but we beat her through the most powerful force of all: grinding)
- Capturing monsters for when I have to use H'aanit's stupid path action is ANNOYING
- The recommended levels mean FUCKING NOTHING
- If the recommended level for a chapter says "32", I shouldn't get my ass fucking kicked in by the boss at level 37
- FUCK Miguel and everything he stands for
- Cockney rhyming slang is the gayest shit
- H'aanit's accent is annoying

I've realised why I liked Disgaea 5 so much. If you needed to grind, you could just select the stage you felt was best for it, and play it over and over. Running around the map in circle to get into random encounters because you need to grind is annoying, and I don't care which game it is.

I played this game by taking Cyrus, Ophilia, and Olberic everywhere, then having the fourth member be rotated in and out. If I was doing one of the main three's chapters, I'd default to Primrose.
The subclass system was really important, because Hunter's leghold trap ability was absolutely necessary for boss fights. The buffs from Dancer and debuffs from Thief were also really nice.

Number of times I had to stop to grind: 2 (Alfyn chapter 2 / Alfyn chapter 3)
(and when I grind, I OVERgrind, because I don't want to have to come back ten minutes later after trying and failing the boss again)
Total playtime:
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2019 12:06 am

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (2018) - Switch
This is a re-release of 2014's Hyrule Warriors for Wii U. I played that version, but didn't buy any of the expansions or the "Legends" version on 3DS. The Switch version features all of that content, plus outfits based on the previous year's Breath of the Wild.
2014 review:

Hyrule Warriors was my first Warriors game, and I've been playing the shit out of Warriors games for a while now. I'm hoping it will stack up well.
Hyrule Warriors on Wii U shipped with 13 playable characters, and three more were added in a free update. Definitive Edition adds another 13 fully-featured playable characters (four of which are different versions of Link, but still).

+ Link's scarf is still totally sweet
+ You can now control multiple characters in one stage
+ Being able to control more than one character per stage makes getting all the heart pieces in legend mode so much easier/less repetitive (except when they don't let you do that for no reason)
+ Owl statues make the bigger/longer maps much more convenient
+ Jesus Christ look at Talkboat go
+ Ganondorf's trident oh god
+ The adventure maps have been better-balanced to provide a much more gradual difficulty curve (because there's like ten of them now instead of just one)
+ You can unlock all the characters pretty easily, even on the last maps
+ You can now unlock the spinner weapon without an amiibo
- But you can't unlock it with the amiibo any more
- Manhandla and the Imprisoned are still the fucking WORST and I hate them (I can deal with King Dodongo, Gohma, and the Helmaroc King)
- "hey I know this is the second stage we've had you use this character in, but you're cool to face two Manhandlas and Impa and Linkle while protecting Lana and Sheik right"
- In challenges where you're locked in a room with a giant boss, the camera will frequently clip into the giant boss's mouth
- The order you get map items in the first adventure map is specifically designed to fuck with you
- If a map has rewards for multiple characters, let me use the "switch between two or more different characters" feature goddammit
- Skulltula maps always have two of the fuckers to make you replay the stage and pad the game length (which is already absurdly long)
- Ruto, Wizzro, and Agitha are fucking garbage to play as
- Why isn't Nabooru in this game (or Beedle for that matter)
- Let's spawn an injured motherfucker on the other side of the map that will die before you get there, then when he dies he comes back as a ghost and your second playable character instantly drops dead from fright (failing the mission)
- By the time the game gets through every other message it has to tell me that the injured motherfucker has spawned, he's already fucking dead (and his spawn point is random)
- The Master Quest map's "speed run" restriction actually does nothing at all; it "reduces the mission's time limit to 20 minutes", but the A rank restriction is 15 minutes so it doesn't matter

GAME CRASHES:
1. While trying to enter the My Fairy menu to feed her some magic beans
2. Exiting the My Fairy menu after feeding her a hyoi pear
3. See #1

If there was any doubt, this is the version of the game to get. There is just so much shit here. I'm really glad they re-released and rebalanced this game, because it honestly would have cost me way more to just buy all the shit for the Wii U version. (also it lets you experience all the types of content without breaking your back)
I've completed all the Legend Mode scenarios, and done 60% of the first two adventure maps. At, like, 50 hours in, I think I know well enough to give this game a
9/10
I'll be chewing on all this content for a long while.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2019 1:01 am

Kingdom Hearts III (2019) - PS4
I was 9 when Kingdom Hearts came out
I was 12 when Kingdom Hearts II came out
I'm now 25 as Kingdom Hearts III is about to come out
Yeah yeah Birth by Sleep or whatever the fuck who cares
Command deck is fucking garbage and all I've wanted was KH2 again for the longest ass time
I've waited more than half my life for this goddamn game
The entirety of my teen years
And my entire adult life up to this point
I graduated from high school, and would have graduated from college had I gone to be anything but a doctor

I sat through several mediocre Kingdom Hearts handheld titles so that I would understand the story. Mediocre handheld games make up a significant chunk of the story. Around a third of the main non-Disney cast is introduced in Birth by Sleep, and the final piece in Dream Drop Distance. They're okay games, I guess, but there's nothing about them that excites me or makes me want to play again. KH1 and KH2 are great games, and the only ones in the series I'd recommend on their own merits. It's absolutely ridiculous that there are more mediocre handheld games that are CRITICAL to the plot than actual good games in this series.
The entire plot of the series is a massive clusterfuck, because there are really only two characters. Everyone is either Sora or Xehanort, sometimes both.
KH1 stood on its own, and fits together Disney, Final Fantasy, and its own characters absolutely perfectly. Chain of Memories started the downfall of the plot, the spiraling down into who knows what the fuck. KH2 is a great action RPG, and perfected the gameplay, but the plot is too much OC (to the pojnt where the Disney worlds are just the location they're at, rather than being important on their own merits, and they're just "the movie, but everyone says "Sora, Donald, and Goofy" a lot"), and the Final Fantasy characters barely exist.
KH3 seems to have fixed at least one of these issues. The Toy Story and Big Hero Six worlds, at least, are confirmed to have an original story written by the Pixar/Disney Animation teams specifically for the game, allowing them to actually matter. However, the Final Fantasy characters are confirmed to just be decorative. I hope that by wrapping up the Xehanort saga, Kingdom Hearts will calm the fuck down with its shit and stop taking us on this wild ride we never signed up for.
I also hope that if KH3 gets a final mix version, we get it within a reasonable window of time rather than FUCKING TEN YEARS LATER

Olette is the best Kingdom Hearts girl and I will suffer no debate.

+ The game opens with a bunch of scenes from the rest of the series, so people who only played 1 and 2 will realise what they've gotten themselves into
+ That FUCKING new version of Dearly Beloved (I cried like a little bitch when it came on)
+ I legitimately don't want to start the game because it's so fucking good
+ YOU START THE GAME WITH DODGE ROLL
+ I cannot tell you how great this is; replaying KH1 up through Guard Armour without such a basic and vital move is annoying, and FUCK vanilla KH2 for not even having it (and FUCK KH2FM for locking it behind a form you get through the game)
+ You can ride the tea cups
+ The way forms are handled in this game is neato
+ The levels are fucking huge; there are so many paths and things to find
+ That one secret area in Olympus where you can forge Goofy a new shield using the fucking tea cup ride
+ Exploring the Toy Story level and seeing all the references was neato (dinosaur toys from that one Toy Story short, Dissidia toys, etc.)
+ The Tangled world is really good, and the keyblade you get from it is sick
+ The Hundred Acre Wood is the best its ever been; short, sweet, and the minigame is actually good (and the artstyle of the world, damn)
+ The labyrinth in the Frozen level was great (shame about the rest of the level)
+ The Pirates of the Caribbean level is fucking amazing; the whole game should have just been that
+ The realistic-ish models they used on the PotC level are really neat, and I love Sora's outfit
+ The game actually finally has autosave after big events
- Too many portable games came out, creating too many subplots that all have to be resolved
- What the fuck even is the point of Maleficent and Pete any more except to waste my goddamn time
- The game took so fucking long to come out that Wayne Allwine, Alan Young, Christopher Lee, and Leonard Nimoy died
- BRING BACK BILLY ZANE
- A lot of the voice acting sounds really stilted (the voice actors seem to emphasise the wrong word in the sentence a lot)
- Oh god who is this hack voicing Scrooge (makes me miss David Tennant's portrayal in the DuckTales reboot)
- The Disney Land attractions bullshit happens way too frequently and there's no way to turn it off (it doesn't help that pressing triangle activates every single ability known to man)
- The first boss fight against the Titans is fucking awful
- Sora's Monsters Inc. design is fucking awful (I didn't even like that movie to begin with)
- WHY ARE THEY PLAYING ALL THE MOVIE SONGS IN THE FROZEN LEVEL
- We never had to listen to Aladdin serenading Jasmine on the carpet, or Hercules sing about going the distance
- The Frozen level chucking you off the mountain eight times gets really fucking old
- The sled escape in the Frozen level sucks
- The last gummi ship level is fucking awful
- The penultimate battle against goatman sucks
- What the FUCK is that goddamn ending
- Is that a fucking cliffhanger after I waited THIRTEEN YEARS FOR THIS SHIT
- A fucking DOWNER cliffhanger to top it all off

I hope I don't have to wait another half my life to resolve this bullshit, because I'm not going to fucking live that long. I'm surprised I lived to 25.

Disney world rankings:

I liked this game a lot, but I would not recommend it to anyone. In order to understand what the fuck is going on in this one, you have to play through all the mediocre command deck games, and it simply isn't worth it. This would be a much better game if it was, you know, the third one and not the tenth. The plot gets dragged down way too much by all the dumbass handheld games with their CRITICAL PLOT REVELATIONS
Did we really need a time travel plot? Did we really need the entire plot of the prequel? Did we really need Roxas's ice cream fun time: the game? Did we really need the journal to be a major fucking plotpoint? Did we really need another prequel about some stupid-ass box just so Maleficent and Pete have something to do (or talk about doing)?
And now we have a fucking cliffhanger ending.
Spoiler:

Kingdom Hearts is fucking bullshit.
9/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 am

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018) - Switch
There is nothing left to say.

+ They added my wife
+ Also Daisy, Chrom, King K. Rool, Simon, Richter
+ Snake is back
+ Love what they've done with Ike's Eruption
+ Wario's new dash attack is perfect
+ Ganondorf's new smash attacks are 10/10 (because two of them are stolen from Ike, and the other from Cloud)
+ Classic Mode is better than ever; each one with a theme based around the character's story/game, and with none of Smash 4's bullshit
+ That intro scene is fucking IMMENSE
+ World of Light is infinitely better than Subspace Emissary as a single-player mode (it reminds me of Soul Calibur VI's Libra of Soul, which I praised a few reviews ago)
- The distribution of characters in World of Light could be better
- Like Subspace Emissary, there's really no reason to go back and play World of Light again (maybe if Smash 6 sucks I'll want to but I doubt it)
- There are so many optional/hidden characters that you can avoid unlocking to beat World of Light, but to get the best ending, you are required to unlock Bayonetta
- Fuck you, soccer guy
- Bayonetta, Inkling, Isabelle, etc. are eyesores
- The fucking constant "WOOMY" bullshit from Inkling makes me want to fucking kill myself
- I honestly don't like playing as any of the starting eight characters all that much
- It took so long to unlock Luigi that I was beginning to think they forgot to put him in the game
- Falco is still fucking terrible, just like in Smash 4
- I would have liked to see Smash Tour and/or Smash Run in the game (Smash Run on a system that isn't the fucking 3DS would have been great)

best newcomer from each game: Luigi / Marth / Ike / Little Mac / Chrom
World of Light's unlock system basically made it so I played as Marth the whole time.

This game made me realise that Smash 4 is, on an objective scale, the worst in the series. It may play better than Smash 64, but that was the first game in the series, so I'd fucking hope so. Melee had better gameplay, Brawl had a better roster and game modes. Ultimate has all of this.
None of the roster cuts from Brawl to Smash 4 were warranted. Ice Climbers died for the mediocre 3DS version, but the rest have no excuse. Gotta get in those shitty Mii Fighters, though. I loved Kid Icarus Uprising, but Palutena is shit to play.
Little Mac, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and maybe Villager are the only vanilla Smash 4 newcomers that are fun to play as. (Dark Pit doesn't count) The rest are shit. Snake, Wolf, and Lucas died for that shit. Cutting characters just makes me salty that Jigglypuff has remained on the roster for so long.
Ultimate brings fucking everyone back. Since everyone I liked is back, I don't care that everyone I didn't like also came back. (except Bayonetta but that's a different story for a different time)

I'm not going to buy the fighter pass because buying DLC before knowing what you're getting is for retards. I'll get Joker when he comes out.

Ultimate is the best Smash game, but Brawl was more exciting. Ultimate > Brawl >>>>>>> Melee >>>>>>>>> 64 > 4
8/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 am

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (2018) - PS4
A remake of 2008's Yakuza 2 (2006 if you're Japanese), created on Yakuza 6's engine. Unfortunately, there is some notable cut content. The entire street of Seisenwhatever is gone, and all of its events take place in Sotenbori. Some of the substories have also been cut, including the best one from the original, Host Club ADAM. There are, however, brand new ones to take their place. Also, Majima gets his own side campaign.
Honestly, Yakuza 2 had a lot of issues itself, which I feel would be fixed by applying modern Yakuza controls and camera angles.

Kiwami 2 is a lot easier than the original Yakuza 2. Pipes Man in chapter 8 was a nightmare on PS2, but in this version, he's pathetically easy. You can actually block his attacks now.
I'm not complaining, mind you. Yakuza 2's difficulty wasn't fair in any sense; it was just bullshit when you got to Pipes Man and Gun Man, and the final QTE went by way too quickly for any human to react. I'm happy with the changes.

MAIN GAME:
+ THEY KEPT IN THE PEACOCK LINE
+ The scene that introduces Ryuji is still the best
+ Ryuji is still the best final boss
+ The new versions of the ally substories are nice; nothing super-memorable but they're better than how they were in the original
+ The new version of the yakuza's car substory is ADORABLE
+ The musicians substory chain actually features an a capella vocal performance of Rouge of Love (from Yakuza 5/0)
+ The Majima Construction anthem is sick
+ You can go between Kamurocho and Sotenbori whenever you want, which is GREAT
+ The godawful Yakuza 2 hostess minigame has been replaced by the really good one from Yakuza 0
+ The song that plays during hostess customisation though
+ Yuki is an absolute TREASURE
+ They added the snack bar conversation minigame to the hostess minigame to make THE BEST MINIGAME (shame it only happens once, because it was amazing)
+ Slap some karaoke onto that motherfucker
+ EVERY hostess gets karaoke, unlike in Yakuza 0
+ Yuki even gets multiple songs
- Shame Kiryu's new karaoke song is mediocre as fuck
- Also shame they've used Tonight for three games in a row and I'm kind of sick of it
- The new karaoke button icons are so bright they hurt my eyes
- There is a completely arbitrary block on progress during the Cabaret Club Grand Prix until you get to chapter 6 (and not just progress; the ENTIRE MINIGAME is locked after a certain point, even replaying old zones)
- R.I.P. Host Club ADAM
- The photo studio is supposed to replace the live chat minigame from Yakuza 6 but the best part of live chat was reading the actual chat itself
- I still have to learn Mahjong in order to face the secret boss
- Clan Creator is back, and they've made it worse somehow (I'm not doing that shit again)
- They moved the location of the Tojo clan stash you have to access as part of the main story and give you no indication of where it went off to (going to where it was on the PS2 gives you what amounts to an ":^)")
- Kaoru's bullshit in chapter 10 is fucking retarded ("HE DIDN'T TELL ME HIS ENTIRE LIFE STORY )))))): I TRUSTED HIM AND HE BETRAYED ME )))))))):")
- The credits song is so bad

MAJIMA SAGA:
In Majima Saga, what starts as a Tojo Clan conflict turns out to be just an excuse for a Yakuza 0 reminiscence festival. I'm okay with that.

+ Short and sweet
+ Majima's entrance in the first scene is GREAT
+ Majima's new karaoke song, As Long as You're Happy, is a nice little tune, and a great complement to Kiryu's Tonight
- Majima doesn't get his own karaoke results screen model; he just uses Kiryu's

Majima Saga is fine, and does not add to or subtract from the experience in any meaningful way. It exists.

If I decide to play through the good Yakuza games again, I will definitely play Kiwami 2 over the original Yakuza 2. (I'd probably just play 0, K2, 3, 5, and 6)
This game is an improvement over Yakuza 2 in every meaningful way, and I am very, very glad I played it.
9.5/10
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 3:44 am

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (2016) - PS4
So, imagine Dynasty Warriors, right
Then imagine that all the characters are busty anime ladies
It sounds like a good time
I do enjoy a good bust

I wanted to play Shinovi Versus first, but that's only on Vita and PC, and I don't own a Vita and my PC is a toaster. So we're stuck with the beachy bikini one rather than the one that isn't quite as beachy or bikini-y. (not to be confused with the squirt gun game or the visual novel dating simulator) The game was $30 on Amazon, which isn't bad for niche weeb games.
Now, I've reviewed a bunch of Warriors games within the last year or so, so I wanted to see how a company that isn't Koei handled the genre. My options were this one, which is overtly a titty game, or Fate/Extella, which is more subtle about how it's a titty game. I have been conditioned by Indonesian basketweaving forums to hate Saber, so my choice was clear.

I started this game in August of 2018, and played it off and on for a month. Then I stopped playing until February of 2019. The characters and situations got really old as it went on.
I did not play every character's personal story, because I never EVER want to use that stupid-ass beach pail or worthless squirt gun moveset again as long as I live.

+ Boobs
+ The game is legitimately funny at points
+ Ikaruga's personal story is the best one (because of Haruka's appearance)
+ Once you get some levels on your character, some of the movesets are pretty fun
+ Miyabi in particular feels really good and looks cool
- But a number of characters are absolutely terrible to play as
- I wish the starting movesets were bigger; the starting movesets make Dynasty Warriors look like Devil May Cry
- You always have to kill every single enemy, which is annoying with this style of gameplay
- A lot of the characters seem really one-note in a way that tends to get old
- Ryobi and Ryona (especially Ryona) are gimmicky to the point of being dull (you know where nearly every conversation is going to go)
- The blonde one of the three festival sisters is ANNOYING
- The old lady is also annoying; she brought the girls there and insists they do the festival, but doesn't explain what the festival is or what it's for
- The main storyline is absolutely retarded ("hey we're in a land where our dead family is alive again so uh i want to take some time out and be with my family member again for a while" "NO WE HAVE TO LEAVE   R I G H T   N O W")
- All this in spite of the fact that time is frozen in the real world during the festival
- Why the fuck is there a small child here; I ain't into that
- Yomi's personal story is so stupid to the point where I can't even laugh at it
- There are annoying camera issues when using Haruka on the rooftops stage
- Kufuru's moveset is completely and totally worthless against both crowds and bosses, making it infuriating whenever the campaign forces her on you

This game would be a lot better if:
1. Movesets were complete from the start; they're really lame and boring at the beginning
2. The cast was trimmed a bit to get rid of the characters with shitty personalities and shitty movesets (allowing the characters with okay-to-good personalities and movesets to be fleshed out more in both areas)
3. The story wasn't stupid as fuck (did there even need to be a story?)
The next game is uh squirt gun battles so I guess these points don't matter for right now

I am now going to fix the Senran Kagura cast. Here are the ones you keep, assuming no one can be changed/fixed (aside from moveset buffs):
Hanzo: Asuka, Ikaruga, Katsuragi
Gessen: Shiki, Murakumo, Yozakura
Hebijo: Miyabi, Murasaki
Crimson: Homura, Haruka, Hikage
Festival Sisters: Renka, Hanabi
Other: Ryoki, Rin, Daidoji

top ten girls:
10. Asuka
9. Murakumo
8. Katsuragi
7. Hikage
6. Ikaruga
5. Miyabi
5. Rin
4. Renka
3. Homura
2. Shiki
1. Haruka

6/10 has some fun parts but you've got to get through some bullshit to get to them
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 am

Pokémon Moon (2016) - 3DS
After more than two years, I am finally going to play this game. I played the demo, and was not impressed.
I bought Moon over Sun because I wanted to catch a Drampa. I bought Moon over Ultra Moon because there was a fucking $20 difference.
To compare each version exclusive:
Spoiler:

However, this is a Gen VII game, and I, of course, only want to use Gen VII Pokémon. If Let's Go ever gets to be cheap, I can use Alolan Vulpix there, so the choice is obvious.
I saw Drampa pre-release and said "yes; this is my guy

To recap my history with the Pokémon series:
1. started with Gold on an emulator; loved it
2. played LeafGreen on an emulator; loved it (FR/LG best games)
3. played Emerald on an emulator; it was good (I honestly kind of prefer R/S)
4. bought Platinum; had a good time
5. bought HeartGold on launch day; LOVED it (HG/SS second best games)
6. bought White on launch day; HATED it (B/W worst games)
7. gave up on the series for a while
8. played White 2 on emulator; disliked it (would have loved it if not for all the bad dialogue blocking the way every time I did anything)
9. bought X with no expectations; liked it a lot
10. bought AlphaSapphire; liked it a lot (store was out of OmegaRuby)
11. saw Sun/Moon preview material; gave up all hope and hadn't bought another Pokémon game until
12. bought Moon two years later

Basically, my expectations for this game are rock bottom. The thing that really got me to finally buy it was re-reading Yellow's review of the game, claiming it was the funniest Pokémon game. I like to laugh, so I'm betting $15 on laughter.
People bitch and moan about X/Y's friends for being smothering, but I don't mind them. I don't hate them like I did with Bianca in B/W and Hugh in B2/W2. If the game can actually make me like the characters who smother me in dialogue, maybe I'll be able to bear it.
If you re-read the pre-release Gen VII thread, I get really, really salty on the second page, and just kind of start hating everything about the game. I can't believe I badmouthed Ribombee; she did nothing wrong. The whole thing will probably happen again in the Gen VIII thread.

I chose Popplio as my starter, and boxed him before he could grow up to be furrybait.
Pokémon I'd like to use at some point: Toucannon, Vikavolt, Ribombee, Araquanid, Lurantis, Golisopod, Palossand, Komala, Mimikyu, Drampa, Dhelmise
The best thing about the new EXP share is that you can rotate members in and out without too much trouble.
I said in the pre-release thread that Salandit was DEFINITELY my guy, but then it turned out that his evolution was female-only and was the most disturbing """sexy reptile""" I'd ever seen, so that didn't happen.

FINAL TEAM:
Ribombee
Golem
Araquanid
Palossand
Mimikyu
Drampa
notable members who didn't make the final roster: Toucannon, Vikavolt

spoiler here:
I lost against the professor twice
Note that I refused to use any items mid-battle all game long (until attempt three)
First time was because I didn't heal my Pokémon so I only had one
Second time was because I read "Ninetales" and my brain was like "oh, a fire-type" and I got Palossand killed, which fucked me right over (then Golem got frozen solid by Blizzard because that is how odds and probability work)
His team matched up really fucking well against mine

I am going to divide this review into categories so it's easier to read.

Gameplay:
+ I like being able to inspect Pokémon before they're warped to the box, especially when I'm trying to get one with a certain ability (honey gather is useless)
+ YOU CAN ACCEPT GIFT Pokémon WITH A FULL PARTY
+ Ride Pokémon are so much better than HMs
+ Also, Ride Pokémon are so much better than random NPCs blocking pathways for dumbass reasons
- Shame the game still has a lot of random NPCs that block pathways for dumbass reasons
- Can't walk with d-pad
- You can't use teleport outside of battle any more
- Being able to just rub your Pokémon with nondescript medicine to heal status conditions completely devalues the items that do the same thing (thus the Alolan economy)
- Moon inverting the real time clock is kind of dumb
- Tying Pokémon encounters/evolution to time of day is still fucking bullshit ("well uh I want to play more but i have to wait here for a couple hours to get the Pokémon i want")
- No National Pokédex just seems wrong
- Wild Pokémon calling for help is the SHITTIEST fucking mechanic
- It's VITALLY important the game teaches you to use the Battle Royale hut, but you can't do it yet because everything there is at level 50
- The dumbass new encounter types like when birds appear from trees are shit and ANNOYING
- Not being able to escape from a wild battle is fucking bullshit
- WHY DO WILD Pokémon STILL HAVE SELF-DESTRUCT
- A lot of the pre-battle animations simply take too long
- There's a lot of loading time after choosing a move when it's two on one (e.g. totem battles)

The roadblocks in this game are fucking stupid. If a man with an OCD Stoutland is blocking a road off completely, you should be able to call the cops. The worst part is that no one says "you can't come this way" or "I'm not letting you pass"; they just say something unrelated and you're warped to face the opposite direction.
I miss X/Y's construction workers that at least gave you a plausible explanation.

Trials:
+ The volcano trial was a 10/10 (did not expect that hiker)
+ Nanu is the best
- The "chasing the Rattata around the cave" in the first trial took too long; I ended up looking it up to see if I was doing something wrong (always a bad sign for game design)
- I HATE LANA SO FUCKING MUCH
- Olivia let me win; my entire team was weak to rock-type moves and she only used one the whole match

Why in the world did the demo have that godawful photography trial? It's not even in the game, and it's the worst trial out of all of them.

Story/characters:
+ I am so glad that Team Skull is goofy
+ And their theme oh man
+ "Yo, this bus stop is gonna look so fly in our mansion, though!"
+ I've always said evil team shit is the worst part of every Pokémon game, but, against all odds, the Team Skull hideout/town is the BEST part of the game
+ The rundown Pokémon Centre is a great touch
+ Having those exclamation points on the minimap honestly just let me know beforehand that I'm going to be interrupted, so it ends up feeling less intrusive when I know it's coming
- But, honestly, there's just too much of it; there was an opportunity to make the game feel like a completely new adventure with the setting and trial system, but they take away all sense of adventure by holding your hand the whole way
- I don't like the scene with Lillie at the beginning of the game; out-of-character knowledge like that has always rubbed me the wrong way
- Lillie, just put it in a damn Pokéball
- The professor is kind of annoying, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
- Hau is annoyingly bland (this character keeps showing up nearly every new area and says what amounts to nothing) [his two personality traits are being upbeat as all fucking hell and being retarded]
- Alolan Youngster Joey isn't using a top-percentage Alolan Rattata
- I kind of don't like how people constantly refer to the first Pokémon in your party
- Pluck your goddamn eyebrows
- Hapu looks like she smells really bad (Lillie probably also smells bad to be fair)
- The Rotom Dex makes me REALLY glad this game doesn't have voice acting
- I wish the Rotom Dex would SHUT THE FUCK UP SO I CAN LOOK AT THE MAP
- This Aether Paradise shit sounds like a cult and I have to pretend to be retarded and go along with it
- The scene where they zoom in on Lillie's mouth as she smiles looks horrible (graphics don't have to be 10/10 or even like 5/10 but don't zoom in when it will look like THAT)
- Why do I have to break from my party to go to a cave with Lillie (I just want to watch everyone celebrate how great I am)
- Lillie gets to go to Kanto and be in a better game but I can't???

I got really fucking pissed that they cut out the gyms and not the evil team, but, honestly, I am glad they finally FINALLY got it right. Rocket, Aqua, Magma, and Flare were all just kind of there, Galactic was annoying, and Plasma was INFURIATING, but Team Skull was an absolute treat.
I want to buy Team Skull merchandise. I would buy plushies of the Team Skull grunts (for a reasonable price [which is much lower than they'd sell it for]).

Pokémon themselves:
+ A lot of cool bugs this time around
+ Marshadow is the coolest legendary since Deoxys
+ Alolan Golem's got a sick-ass moustache
+ And shit yeah it has a fucking cannon it can shoot rocks out of
+ Basically, Alolan Golem (Alolem) is the first time Geodude has had a worthy evolution (and Rock/Electric is a pretty fucking good typing)
- Moon's version of Lycanroc is SHIT
- I loved Salandit when it was revealed, but its evolution makes me really uncomfortable
- Popplio's evolution chain makes me sad
- Pyumykyu or whatever is stupid and not cool
- Type: Null is the stupidest edgiest shit ever
- It's the seventh generation and Ledian still can't evolve into something good
- I've come to the realisation that physical attacking grass-types are kind of shit (grass is only good against water, rock, and ground, and pretty much all rock types have high physical defense)
- Why the fuck does Komala not get any good STAB moves (125 attack and your best options are Thrash or Slam) [75% accuracy may as well be 5% in this game]
- They changed Meowth's evolution method but not Graveller's
+ But at least I found a nice Alabamanian to trade with
- No new fossils???

Sun and Moon introduced 80 new Pokémon, 18 of which were legendaries. Another 9 of those are the starters, so there are are 53 new Pokémon that can litter the wild. So, tell me. Why are some of them, like Sandygast, limited to just one area as a 20% encounter rate behind Staryu? The biggest draw of a new Pokémon game is using the new Pokémon, and it's kind of fucking hard when I'm running on a 20% encounter rate and getting mad critical hitz boyeeee every time I do encounter one. Why is Komala a 10% encounter only found on Route 11? It has a very unique ability, and seems like something they'd want the player to actually be able to use. The most popular Pokémon of Gen VII is Mimikyu, who only appears in Thrifty Megamart at a 5% encounter rate. You want a Dhelmise? 1% enounter rate. Fuck you, GameFreak.

As a bonus, here's a list of Gen I-VI Pokémon in the Alola Pokédex not given Alolan forms, that could really, really have used a new evolution:
Spoiler:

ranking the best version of each Pokémon game from best to worst:
FireRed/LeafGreen
HeartGold/SoulSilver
X/Y
OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (fight me)
Platinum
Black 2/White 2
Sun/Moon
[this space intentionally left blank]
Black/White
Spoiler:

OR/AS would be ahead of X/Y if not for the Delta Episode existing
II had White 2 listed as a 1/5 for a long-ass time, and this game made me realise that W2 isn't a 1/5. White 2 is better than Moon, but Moon is better than a 1/5. As much as the main campaign frustrated me, I had a great time in Pokestar Studios, Join Avenue, the Pokémon World Tournament, etc. I really, really want a romhack of White 2 that just removes all the story dialogue, or abridges it to death.

worst part of each Pokémon game:
Spoiler:

quick rankings:
Spoiler:

6/10
It could have been better
But at least it's not Black and White
The story/characters weren't as bad as Unova's, but the game itself wasn't as good as B2/W2. It's a wash.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 12:59 am

Devil May Cry 5 (2019) - Xbone
Microsoft won E3 2018 on the back of DMC5. Eleven years have passed since DMC4 (5 February 2008 - 8 March 2019). Devil May Cry even got fucking rebooted, but it came back. Whoever's even heard of unrebooting a series?
To briefly sum up the series:
DMC1 was a fun action game, definitely worth a playthrough even if it's not as CRAZY as DMC3 onward
DMC2 was terrible in just about every way
DMC3 got the series back on track, and pretty much got it perfect
DMC4 was unfinished, but a 10/10 as far as the raw gameplay goes
I never even played the reboot

Now, after a long-ass nine months, the time has come and so have I

Let's just get this out of the way now:
+ ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNING THROUGH MY HEAD
+ ARM ON FIRE; VEINS BURNING RED
+ FRU
+ STRA
+ TION
+ IS GETTING BIGGER
+ BANG
+ BANG
+ BANG
+ PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER
Spoiler:

okay for real, I am going to divide this review by character so it makes sense:

NERO:
+ Move fast baby don't be slow
+ Nero feels just as great as he did in DMC4, but with added versatility due to the Devil Breaker arms
+ Nero's new design is great (especially the jacket)
+ Charge shot isn't as OP as before, but it's still really nice (the first thing I upgraded; would definitely recommend)
+ The electric (Overture), whip (Rawhide), and SLAM DUNK (Buster) arms are all 10/10
+ The drill (Helter Skelter) and rocket (Punchline) arms are like a 7/10
+ The thing Nero gets at the end of the game is sick
- The shockwave (Gerbera) and power-up (Tomboy) arms kind of suck
- The mission 08 boss fight sucks
- The final boss fight is very anticlimactic

PROTIP: Put Nero's shoot button on one of the triggers (I chose the left one) for easy charging during a combo

V:
+ Charge shot: bird edition OP
+ V's moveset is GREAT for crowd control
- V's moveset is SHIT for boss fights
- I feel like I have zero control over where the panther goes, and just have to wait for it to get near bosses
- Mission 14 presents you with a choice, which resulted in "well how the fuck was I supposed to know?!" when I chose the worst option
- Seriously, how the fuck was I supposed to know that there'd be a huge boss guy? Given the zero evidence in front of me, I assumed it would be a fight against a crowd so I chose Griffon (and proceeded to get FUCKED)
- (yes, I know now where the evidence was, but I didn't see it (because it's not obvious), and when I made the choice, the evidence wasn't around for me to see it)
- Also, the order of the doors is absolutely backwards; you'd think the game was made by a Japanese guy or something
- Basically, Mission 14 is to this game as Mission 8 was to DMC3 (the worst part, and a part that easily could have been cut out without losing anything)

PROTIP: Put V's bird button on one of the triggers (I chose the left one) for easy charging during a combo

V is a really cool new character from a story and gameplay standpoint. He will be missed

DANTE:
+ SWOR-TRI-ROYAL-TRI-GUN-SWOR-ROYAL-GUN-TRI-SWOR-GUN-TRI-ROYAL-GUN-SWOR-ROYAL-TRICK-ROYAL-GUN-SWORDMASTER (legitimately the first thing I did when I got control of Dante)
+ You can just elect to not equip weapons you don't like/don't want to use
+ Mission 18 was great
+ Balrog is the best kicky boots weapon
+ Dr. Faust knocks me off my feet
+ King Cerberus is a vast improvement over the original Cerberus from DMC3
- Shame that none of the levels after you get it are actually good for using it
- Shame the Mission 18 boss fight doesn't get Dante a new weapon
- Godawful battle theme
- I can't believe they just let Rebellion get destroyed like that
- The final replacement for Rebellion has different Swordmaster moves and I wish I could just use Rebellion's set
- I ended up dropping the motorcycle from my loadout pretty quickly because the non-Swordmaster moves are just so slow
- They nerfed Kalina Ann hard from how it was in DMC4

PROTIP: Dr. Faust is the best weapon for grinding red orbs; don't stop 'til you get enough

Replaying DMC4 last year, I ended up liking Nero better than Dante for that game. Dante's DMC4 arsenal was really sub-par, with Gilgamesh just feeling inferior to Beowulf.
In DMC5, however, Dante takes back his throne at the top. Balrog is better than Beowulf finally, and Dr. Faust is the first "gun" I actually want to use outside of the shotgun and Ebony and Ivory. (Kalina Ann and Pandora were okay I guess) I never used Cerberus in DMC3 after I got Agni and Rudra, so I was kind of disappointed when I saw Cerberus was the first returning boss weapon in the series, but they've improved it so much that I'm glad they went for it. (where's Nevan though)
Nero, meanwhile, feels about the same as he did in DMC4, which is great, but Dante really brought it this time. The devil breakers feel like a lateral move from the devil bringer, to be honest.

GENERAL:
+ Every single game needs to have a dedicated taunt button
+ Two missions let you choose who you want to play as
+ The second half of the game is actually new levels rather than the same levels again, except backwards
+ You can assign any battle theme to any character (meaning I was just able to give Dante Devil Trigger and call it a day)
- Nico is annoying
- When customising your controls, you have to wait for certain mechanics to be revealed mid-mission to be able to change their button (even though they're all over pre-release footage)
- The earlier city levels are a lot more interesting than the later Qliphoth levels
- If you'd like to put stock into the actual story, it's kind of shit (who does that though)
- The fuck kind of ending is that

Since they're selling joke weapons as DLC, I'd honestly buy classic weapons to go along with that. Nevan, Agni and Rudra, and Beowulf come to mind instantly. If they can make Alastor sufficiently different from not-Rebellion, I'd be up for that as well. (I'd probably also buy Lucifer and Pandora, but I wouldn't be jumping out of my seat for them)

Total playtime: 12 hours
The game was a bit short, but I'm glad Devil May Cry came back for at least one more game. I hope we don't have to wait 11 more years for DMC6, though. I ain't gonna live that long

8.5/10

DMC games ranked:
5. DMC2
massive power gap
4. DMC4
3. DMC1
2. DMC5
1. DMC3

DMC5 might have hit #1 if not for mission 14, the motorcycle being kind of shit, and that ending
oh well
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Crackdown 3 (2019) - Xbone
Played via Xbox Live Game Pass, using the $1 for three months deal
I would not have bought this for full price, but I did want to play it. Thanks Microsoft
Crackdown 1 (2007, Realtime Worlds) sold pretty well because it included a beta for Halo 3. A lot of people didn't even play the game, though, which is a shame because it was pretty good.
Crackdown 2 (2010, Ruffian Games) was a bit disappointing. It attempted to cash in on the zombie craze, and got rid of gangs for a PMC. It's good, but the first was better.
Crackdown 3 (2019, Sumo Digital) was originally set to release in 2017, but got delayed about a million times. I heard it was cancelled at one point. It eventually came out, however, and here we are.

+ The campaign and the multiplayer are separate and independent downloads so I didn't have to download the one I will never play
+ Great for fans of open-world checklist simulators
+ The new weapons are great, especially the grenades
+ It's just like Crackdown 1, gameplay-wise
- Which means the driving is still shit
- The spider buggy may be the worst vehicle I've ever attempted to control in a videogame
- The reload animation is horrendously slow
- The tower-climbing missions suck
- The idea of taking down a tyrant-controlled super-state is still worse than the gangs of Crackdown 1
- Boss fights aren't very good
- The intro with Terry Crews tries way too hard to be funny
- Was the woman really necessary? I just want to hear the voice of the director at all times
- Six default playable characters and the only one that looks decent is Terry Crews (note: I don't have anything against Terry Crews)

For $1, fuck yeah
For $60, I would have felt buyer's remorse hard
$15 sounds like a good price, to be honest, maybe $20

7/10 just like the other two
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

Sunset Overdrive (2014) - Xbone
Played via Xbox Live Game Pass, using the $1 for three months deal
This was the second game Insomniac made after freeing themselves from Sony's ownership. We don't talk about the first one.
Sunset Overdrive is a game I've wanted to play for a while, but could never actually bring myself to buy. The trailers made the game look stupid (trying for "radical"), but I heard the actual gameplay was great, so

+ FUN movement
+ FUN weapons
+ There are small videos demonstrating what each weapon does before you buy it (just like in Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time)
+ I do not regret chosing to play as a girl (great voice + personality)
+ Pretty good sense of humour
+ The mission where you recover the robot dog was GREAT
+ The RPG side mission was GREAT
+ The last mission is fun
+ Base defense is really nice
+ Lots of side missions with fun dialogue (even if most of them are just "collect x number of y")
+ / - No penalty for dying, like, at all (whether or not that's a good thing is up to you)
- The icons on the map are way too small
- Game does that thing where the upgrades tutorial forces you to buy something you might not want (in two different instances)
- The wrecking ball mission went on for too long, and the wrecking ball was too hard to control
- The LARP squad shit was just fucking dumb
- The leech mission was fucking stupid (I hate when you save everyone but you still have to be the bitch all the time)
- IT'S LIKE YOU'RE ON THE DRUGS XD XD XD XD XD LAUGH OUT LOUD XD XD XD XD XD
- The "save side mission for later" or "abandon side mission and come back later" mechanic/menu/thing is unintuitive (I had to do it once because an object I needed got stuck in a box and I couldn't get it)

GAME CRASHES:
1. During the side quest about side quests (13 hours in)

Basically, this is a game that relies heavily on the GAME part, which is fine by me. I honestly want Insomniac to make another one of these.
It was very fun the whole way through, even if some of the jokes and factions got a little long in the teeth by the end of your time with them.
It was about 16 hours long, doing every side mission.

9/10
I'll play the expansions at some point maybe
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 3:15 am

Sunset Overdrive DLC
Lucky me, the deluxe edition of the game was on sale.
I could have bought both expansions for $9 each
Or I could have bought the season pass, containing both expansions and a weapon pack for $18
But what I decided to do was buy the deluxe edition of the game, containing the game and the season pass for $18
It was $18 any way I wanted to slice it, so I bought it all (it's a game I'll want to replay anyway)

General notes
+ I like the new orange and black hoodie with the dolphin on it
+ Five new weapons right off the bat
- Only two are any good, and they're just okay

The Mystery of the Mooil Rig
+ Fun new area to play around in (plays really well to the strengths of the movement system)
+ Fun new missions
+ The rivets weapon is nice
- Flamethrower weapon sucks
- A bit short
- Bad final boss

Took me two hours to beat all missions and both side missions.
It's a nice
7.5/10
Nothing too earth-shattering, but nice for fans of the game

Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines
+ The weapon Buck makes is cool
+ The final boss was good
- The first mission is bad
- The black woman is really fucking annoying
- The first side mission is an annoying pixel hunt, followed by an annoying shootout where you can't leave the "certain death" area with a weapon that takes forever to charge
- And to add insult to injury, you don't even get to keep the weapon, and have to buy it for 200,000 not-dollars, making it the most expensive weapon in the game
- Fuck you
- The giant ball mission sucks (understatement of the year)

This expansion was horrible. This is the first time all game where I thought "I am definitely not having fun", and I thought it a lot. Two hours was too long for this piece of shit.
3/10
fuck you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   game of the year all years - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

game of the year all years
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next