ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

game of the year all years

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
the 46th president of the united states

Male
Number of posts : 8580
Favourite Band : Nirvana
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:59 am

we're onto page 2, so here's a recap of page 1's (notable) reviews:
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (2015) - Xbone [7.5/10]
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (2017) - 3DS [9/10]
Forza Horizon 2 (2014) - Xbone [8.5/10]
Forza Horizon 2 - Storm Island (2014) - Xbone [7.5/10]
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) - Switch [9.5/10]
Tekken 7 (2017) - PS4 [7/10]
Samurai Warriors 4 (2014) - PS4 [9/10]
Wanted: Weapons of Fate (2009) - Xbox 360 [6.5/10]
Dynasty Warriors 8 + Xtreme Legends (2013) - PS4 [9/10]
West of Loathing (2017) - PC [8/10]
Samurai Warriors 4-II (2015) - PS4 [7/10]
Super Mario Odyssey (2017) - Switch [10/10]
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series (2017) - Xbone [8/10]
Forza Horizon 3 (2016) - Xbone [9/10]
Persona 5 (2017) - PS4 [9.5/10]
Forza Horizon 3 - Blizzard Mountain (2016) - Xbone [FUCK/10]

a lot of good scores, which is what you want

Fire Emblem Warriors (2017) - Switch
i am a weak, weak man
i also bought the season pass
because i am a weak, weak man

+ I may complain a lot about this game, but goddamn it is a fucking fun game
+ The list of negatives will be long, so I have to reitterate: this game is REALLY fun
+ The character upgrade system is neato
+ The weapon attribute system makes getting even shitty bronze weapons potentially great
+ The ability to send AI characters somewhere is a GODSEND
+ History Mode is a better version of Hyrule Warriors's Legend Mode, which was the best part of that game
+ Characters have dialogue for team-up attacks with characters they know (they could have skipped this step but I'm glad they didn't)
+ The callback to the opening scene of Awakening made me smile
+ "Oh no Darios we can't kill you you're our friend!!!" Then the evil dragon just fucking kills him anyway I was in stitches
+ I like Lucina's new voice actress better than Laura Bailey
- Hinoka's new voice actress is GODAWFUL
- Tiki's voice actress is awful and she isn't fun to play as in the slightest
- I can't take English-speaking Marth seriously after three Smash Bros. games of his 10/10 Japanese voice
- Cam Clarke's Corrin is not his best role (he's best at hammy characters)
- Can't adjust volume settings until you're like ten minutes in
- Anna's voice narrates the whole game which is really dumb and annoying (even changing it to Chrom or someone is still kind of annoying)
- Upgrading characters' abilities means hearing "WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS"
- "WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS"
- "WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS WILL THIS BE FINE? SUCCESS"
- Or worse because Lucina is actually one of the least annoying people who will talk over your upgrades menu
- The game does that dumb fucking thing where the first level is part of the last level then they tell you how everyone got to that point
- Who the fuck cares about these OCs
- Male OC's voice actor is AWFUL
- Too many Fates/Awakening characters
- No characters from FEs 4-6 or 8-10 (one from 2 and one from 7)
- Celica but not Alm? What?
- Awakening Historical Map level 20 timed attack can kiss my fucking ass
- Historical mode says it'll tell you the restrictions beforehand but it doesn't? (the "restrictions" section is empty, but I'm restricted to just magicians?)
- Have to play Anna's Mementos levels twice in order to get both of them (and there are just too many of them)
- Arena battles suck

This is a fun game burdened by a lot of questionable design decisions, from the obvious to the things that start out okay but grate on you as time goes on. It's not as good as Hyrule Warriors, and I DEFINITELY, D E F I N I T E L Y wouldn't recommend it for $60 over Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete or Samurai Warriors 4 for $20 each.

7.5/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Shreddventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1091
Favourite Band : Oasis
Balls : wiggle wiggle wiggle
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:01 pm

i'm pretty sure the only games that came out this year that i played are the new Football Manager and Total War and I can't really rate either as I work as a tester for one and in the company that makes the other.

Claybook is fun tho and I played Firewatch and Oxenfree for the first time this year, those both rule

oh and Fire Pro World is fun as heck

that's all i've got
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Yakuza 0 (2017) - PS4
Acquired Black Friday 2017 for $30 („3,382) from FUCKING GAMESTOP
Ever since the original Yakuza on PS2, I've been meaning to play one of these games. I did some poking around, and Yakuza 0 is, as its name implies, a prequel, and according to the people I've seen talk about it, it's a good place to start. (and it seems like you're meant to play the remake of Yakuza 1 after this one sooooooooo)
Yakuza 0 takes place in 1980s Japan (specifically Tokyo and Osaka [specifically Kabukichō and Dotonbori]), and it's about beating people up until they explode like a money pińata. Also, karaoke and batting cages and bowling and arcade games and pool and darts and cat fights and slot cars and fishing and claw machines and mahjong and shogi and poker and blackjack and roulette and baccarat and hobo dice games and
Oh, the story? It's about the one and only EMPTY LOT

+ You can buy some cool, refreshing Mountain Dew
+ You can beat people up with all kinds of objects found in the environment
+ Majima's third fighting style is pretty fucking sweet
+ The Real Estate Royale is pretty fun, despite the absurd waiting times
+ Get fucking so invested in investing that you don't even notice your old man being beaten up and your secretary being kidnapped in the same room you're in
+ The Cabaret Club Czar is pretty fun, and doesn't have the waiting times
+ The best bowling minigame I've ever played
+ Karaoke is fucking GREAT ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD6__C2Ht6M )
+ The telephone club minigame is neato and leads to some funny moments
+ AND each of the three keeper telephone club girls has a unique* karaoke performance and their own videotape (*shared with one of Majima's girls)
+ The shots of Kiryu during the slot car minigame are just 10/10
+ The Great Slot Car Cat Fight of '88
+ The dancing minigame is really fun once you get used to it (and that takes a LONG time)
+ But all the tunes you dance to are sweet original Japanese impressions of American '80s music ( https://youtu.be/U7GeJYdTf5c / https://youtu.be/vUYrv601WBw )
+ A great selection of engaging side missions with very good writing (and there are a good number of them to boot)
+ The side mission where Kiryu becomes a producer was absolutely hilarious
+ And the bizza side mission oh lord
+ CHAPTER 13 THOUGH
+ THAT POST-CREDITS SCENE THOUGH
+ This game includes both New Game+ AND a sick-ass side quests only mode
- No English dub, if you're into that sort of thing
- Quicktime events are a bit too quick (like, I'm still inputting button presses from actual combat and fail the thing)
- The tutorial for Majima's Rolling Snake move DROVE ME UP THE FUCKING WALL (WHY DO THEY HAVE TASERS)
- Pleasure King
- Did the Finance King, in a tense moment, SERIOUSLY just drop a "screw the rules, I have money"?
- ALSO WHY DID THEY JUST LEAVE THE LOADED GUN ON THE TABLE AS THEY WALK AWAY FOR THE BAD GUY TO PICK UP
- There's a side mission where you've got to go fishing but after investing 30,000,000 yen into a good pole, I can 100% confirm none of those creatures live in that river
- The camera angle when casting in Kiryu's fishing minigame is terrible (you can't see the outlines of the fish at all)
- Playing darts is impossible
- Kiryu and Majima have the same exact animations for the dancing minigame; I wish that at least the intro and outro poses were unique
- I do wish that the telephone club girls had more of a tell so it's easier to get all of the unique girls (do we really need three Sakuras?)
- There's no way to tell which videotapes you've seen and which ones you haven't
- There's no way to tell which buildings are available to buy without ramming your face into each and every one
- Unskippable credits
- JESUS FUCK I HAVE SHIT TO DO JUST LET ME SAVE THE FUCKING GAME FOR POST-GAME SHIT SO I CAN TURN THE FUCKING SYSTEM OFF
- WHY IS THERE NO "THIS SHIT IS GOING TO TAKE AN ENTIRE FUCKING HOUR SO SAVE NOW AND COME BACK LATER IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE POST-CREDITS SCENE"
- That's two hours of cutscenes and an hour of gameplay you can't save during

The game tricked me into thinking Kiryu's story wasn't good but DAMN CHAPTER 13 SAVED EVERYTHING
THEN CHAPTER 14 OH MY GOD

Before anyone asks, Reina is the best in-game girl overall, and Haruki is the best of Kiryu's girlfriends (Haruki > Ayaka > Riku), and Yuki is the best of Majima's platinum cabaret club girls (Yuki > Hibiki > Chika > Saki > Mana > Ai).

SO IN THE END
This game is brilliant. The plot starts off like "whatever" and they hook you with all the side stories, minigames, etc. But then, after the side content stops coming in, the main plot KICKS INTO GEAR and everything that's happened connects and hits you right in the feelings and anything that may have seemed "bland" or "petty" suddenly becomes the most "I GOTTA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" shit ever. If you're not HEAD OVER HEELS in love with this game after chapter 13, I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you.
Final playtime after watching the final scene: 99 hours, 13 minutes
10/10
I bought Yakuza Kiwami for $20 off ebay during chapter 6, before the game locked up the 10/10. I hate giving 10/10s, but FUCK DUDE
There is just so much to love here, and I can't wait to play Kiwami. But I'm going to, because I want to give 0 time to settle; time to calm down in my mind.

Kneejerk five best games of 2017:
1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Yakuza 0
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Persona 5
5. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Best year for games since 2006, easy. [five best years for games: 2004, 2006, 2003, 2017, 2005]
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:52 am

Forza Horizon 3 - Hot Wheels (2017) - Xbone
Acquired from Xbox Live's Countdown to 2018 sale in the Horizon 3 Expansion Pass for $10.50
You know what Australia was missing? Gigantic orange tracks all over the place. You know those Hot Wheels tracks you had as a kid? Well, now you can drive all over them in videogame form.
They, unfortunately, did not add the Hot Wheels car wash with real soap suds, nor did they add the Hot Wheels volcano. You CAN, however, hold your very own Hot Wheels Screamin' Stunt Jam, and isn't that what we always wanted?

+ The tracks seem to be made out of pre-defined pieces like a real Hot Wheels track
- But that means that if there's a section you have trouble or hate driving on, you're going to see it A LOT
- It's WAY too easy to fall off of the track and pretty much instantly lose the race
- Good luck getting off though when you want to get the barn find or an EXP board on the actual ground
- Too many 90 degree turns in fucking dumb places
- The Twin Mill car is impossible to drive in first-person, due to the small windshield and huge fucking engine right in front of the steering wheel
- Races require you to upgrade your car to S1 or S2 for certain events (I keep my cars all at A for a reason)

Once the novelty of LOOPS and shit wears off, it's just a frustrating experience. I have a headache.
4/10
would not recommend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: game of the year all years   

Back to top Go down

game of the year all years
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2