ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry
ADVENTURE
better safe, then sorry

ADVENTURE

STUDIES SHOW THAT ADVENTURE IS AMAZING FOR YOUR HEALTH

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Why Generation VI is better than Generation V

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Empty
PostSubject: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 12:45 am

It took me a while to get around to playing Gen VI, but only because Gen V was so bad.
If I say "Gen V", I mean both B/W and B2/W2. If I say Gen VI, I mean both X/Y and OR/AS. Otherwise, I'll refer to the game I'm talking about specifically.

From the word "go", Gen V assaults you with your "friends" and a ridiculous amount of tutorials. X/Y only has the standard "how to catch Pokémon" and "Pokémon Centres heal your Pokémon". OR/AS has those plus an actually helpful tutorial on a legitimate new feature (sneaking up on "hidden" Pokémon).
I just replayed the first town of B2/W2 again, and here's what happened, in order:
>Yes/No questions that just repeat themselves if you choose "no"
>Tutorial on how to open your bag
>Your shitty-ass friend following you around like a shithead
>Yes/No questions that just repeat themselves if you choose "no"
>Get Pokémon
>Rival battle
>Tutorial on how to heal your Pokémon at a Pokémon Centre
>Tutorial on how to access the PC
>Tutorial on how to shop at the Pokémon Store
>Interruption to acquire running shoes and town map
>Tutorial on how to catch Pokémon

Compare to X/Y:
>Get dressed (COMPLETE WITH RUNNING SHOES)
>Get confronted by neighbours
>Go to next town, get nickname (mine was niggér), get Pokémon
>"Rival" battle (starter that's weak to yours)
>Catching tutorial
Badabip done.

Gen V's Team Plasma was the fucking worst. They showed up CONSTANTLY to do fucking whatever and force you into a shitload of pointless bullshit. In B/W, N would show up like the retard he is. In B2/W2, Retard would show up like the faggot he is (side note: you cannot name your rival "Faggot" but you can name him "Retard").
In B/W, N even cucks you just as you're about to face the champion.
Either way, in both games, you get all eight badges and STILL have to clean up Team Plasma's fucking garbage. No other Pokémon games do that shit. Team Rocket are defeated with the final badge in Kanto, and after the seventh in Johto. Team Aqua/Magma are stopped after the seventh, and Team Galactic are stopped after the seventh, as well. I think Johto Team Rocket and Team Galactic are also a bit oversaturated in the story, but that's for a different time.

Gen VI's Team Flare showed up enough to seem like a "threat", but sparingly enough that I didn't get sick of them. They're done with before the final gym and let you finish your journey in peace.

Then there's the friends. Cheren (even with his absolute GARBAGE team) and Bianca are relatively benign compared to the cancerous plague that is Retard. Retard shows up every time Team Plasma do (which is all of the times), and WILL NOT SHUT UP ABOUT HIS SISTER'S PURRLOIN. WHAT KIND OF FUCKING RETARD IS HE
HOW WOULD ANY MEMBER OF TEAM PLASMA, A GROUP KNOWN FOR STEALING Pokémon, REMEMBER A SINGLE Pokémon THEY STOLE
WORSE YET, PURRLOIN IS RETARDEDLY COMMON AND WE ALL KNOW RETARD'S PURRLOIN ISN'T SHINY
The worst part? THEY REMEMBER THE GODDAMN PURRLOIN AND GIVE IT BACK TO HIM
FUCK YOU
THIS IS THE SHITTIEST WRITING IMAGINABLE
RETARD DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE HAPPY

X/Y's friends are fine. They're not annoying at all. OR/AS may have kind of ruined the Wally twist, but Brendan/May is the single most legitimately likable character in the entire series. And they finally fully evolve their starter, which is a plus.
Rivals from best to worst:
Blue > Brendan/May > Wally > Barry > Silver > Calem/Serena > Cheren > Retard

I'll admit that Alder was a better champion than Diantha. Iris can get fucked, though.
Champions from best to worst:
Blue > Steven > Cynthia > Alder > Lance > Wallace > Diantha > Iris

I'll admit that by default, the protagonists are the mid-tier to bad.
Protagonists from best to worst:
Male:
Gold > Red > Hilbert > Brendan (RSE) > Nate > Brendan (OR/AS) > Lucas (Pt) > Lucas (DP) > Calem
Female:
Green > customised Serena > May (OR/AS) > Dawn (Pt) > Dawn (DP) > Rosa > default Serena > Crystal > May (RSE) > Lyra > Hilda

Unova is a fucking shitty region. Not only is it full of "LOOK AT OUR PRETTY GRAPHIXXXXXXXX" bullshit (bridges), but the layout is fucking AWFUL. Half the Goddamn region is postgame only, and besides that, there are gimmick caves fucking everywhere. Not to mention the retarded-ass desert and swamp.

Kalos is the best region since they decided to go 100% linear. The layout makes sense, for one. But beyond that, even the gimmicky areas and "LOOK AT OUR PRETTY GRAPHIX" areas are actually good. There aren't any fuckhuge bridges, which is nice.
The cave with the reflective walls is easy to navigate and actually very aesthetically-pleasing. The twisty cave with the dark side routes wasn't bad, either. Snow cave was okay.
The fuckhuge city kind of sucked, but it's not so bad if you use the bike. You'll probably have to circle around the entire city a few times to find what you want, but whatever.

Having only Gen V Pokémon in B/W fucking sucked. In X/Y, they mix the old and the new together to create the single best regional Pokédex in the series.
Each game should build off the one before it, presenting both old favourites and the new guys together in a way that creates a sense of unity. They should also give you an option to use some Pokémon from previous generations that you might have missed out on due to poor locations or whatever. Like, I want to use more ice-types, but they're ALWAYS located at the very end of the game.

B2/W2 had better postgame content than X/Y and OR/AS, I'll admit, but the main game of both sets of Gen V games sucked, so it doesn't really matter, does it?
Back to top Go down
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Rakitox
Adventure is more than a
Tunnel Snakes rule!
Adventure is more than a

Male
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 12:14 am

I hear what you are saying, and I agree

but let us take this time to appreciate how gen V made bug types not suck Wink
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 1:02 am

Well, all the great bug moves you're probably thinking of were introduced in Gen IV.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bug_Bite_(move)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bug_Buzz_(move)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/X-Scissor_(move)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/U-turn_(move)

It's just that Gen V introduced more bugs than Gen IV, so more people noticed then.
The best bug-type was introduced in Gen II anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock
Dr. Adventure

Male
Number of posts : 1091

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 11:20 am

I was really disappointed by the post-game content of B/W. Seemingly a 3rd of the map is sectioned off for post game, and really only one of the cities was cool. (i still have no idea wtf that forest was)

In B/W, I was actually pleased with N taking over the Elite Four. It was the biggest twist in a game since Gen I when you think you've beaten the league and suddenly you have to face a 5th guy!? and it's GARY!? I was blown away in Gen I, and I was equally blown away in this game when N appeared. Not to mention the graphics of the the Elite Four turning into N's castle was neat. It actually seemed like a team was doing something of value rather than just random gangs, reminded me of Rocket take over of the Radio Tower in that I felt like "I HAVE TO TAKE THESE FUCKRES OUT"

[Granted, Team Aqua/Magma messing with the landscape and weather and Whoever Gen IV's bad team was messing with Time and Space and GOD is arguably way worse, but for some reason it seemed like no one in the game was freaking out. In sootopolis, all the civilians are just like "eh, never seen this before" like it was no big deal]

The only real bullshit surrounding it was the required capture (and INCLUSION) of the legendary guy in your team for the final battle.
I think the other issue with B/W is that you hardly talk to the elders or whatever on team plasma. They're set up as these big baddies and you face, what, only like one or two of them? Disappointment (unless I just straight up missed those battles somewhere). Also, I agree they were just all over the place for no reason (they need a munna? like, how does that actually make sense?)

In retrospect, I actually have grown to enjoy Gen V's Pokémon. That might be stockholm syndroming myself, but I've grown to like them.

I never actually beat B2/W2 so I can't comment on how it ended, but I agree the 'friend' was annoying and I would never want to be seen with him in public.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 12:56 pm

The evil team bullshit is ALWAYS the worst part of each game.
Silph Co., Radio Tower*, Seafloor Cavern, Distortion World, N's castle and BATTLE OF DWAGONS, Team Plasma's Frigate, and Team Flare's hideout are all the worst moments of their respective games.
*Except in HG/SS when it becomes Kimono Girls BULLSHIT

I really just want it to be over and done with as soon as possible so I can get back to what I actually want to do, which is just about anything else.

Gen V's Pokémon aren't bad as a whole, but I really don't like the idea of making you only use the new Pokémon.
And doing this let them rehash Pokémon designs like a motherfucker.

Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 1:26 pm

I must humbly disagree.

Radio Tower is one of my favorite moments in GSC (outside of the idiotic maze/puzzle thing in the underground). The worst part of GSC is the split after ecruteak where both sides are viable options, so when you go back to the other side you're overleveled and just basically grinding through either rocket people after lake of rage or swimmers on the way to cianwood.

Victory Road and Rock Tunnel are far and away my least favorite moments in RBY/FRLG. Silph Co. is pretty fun.

Seafloor Cavern is lame because you need to use Dive to get there PLUS it's in a cave. And then you almost never use Dive again. But Norman is FAR AND AWAY my least favorite part of RSE.

I'm not familiar enough with B/W and B2/W2 to definitively say my least favorite part, but the beginning with all the stupid set up definitely comes to mind. I really really liked the idea of N's castle.

I think evil organizations could be improved by having a bit more variety in the Pokémon used. I think that's why Magma/Aqua are the best team. They at least have more than zubats and poison types.
Back to top Go down
Jakeyadventure
TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
Jakeyadventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Letting you choose which way to go after Morty was the best thing they could have done, because it fixes the retarded pacing of the "intended" order.

Intended:
Falkner
Team Rocket
Bugsy
Whitney
Morty
Chuck
Jasmine
Team Rocket
Pryce
Team Rocket
Claire

Improved:
Falkner
Team Rocket
Bugsy
Whitney
Morty
Team Rocket
Pryce
Chuck
Jasmine
Team Rocket
Claire

I'll give you Rock Tunnel, but Kanto's Victory Road is the least offensive Victory Road in the series.

Norman isn't bad if you have Blaziken or Pelipper. Or pretty much any fighting-type in OR/AS.
You really should have been able to just shove Maxie/Archie in the lava at the volcano and been done with it.

I honestly don't see why I, a ten-year-old kid, need to be the region's police force. I'd be ecstatic if they replaced the evil team with ten more gyms in Gen VII.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't really get off on the grinding...I prefer having the evil team as an extra plot on top of your quest to be da best.
Mindlessly walking between cities isn't that fun unless it was something like the show and you have to help out randos every episode with their problems. I'm not too worried about an evil team, I think they help make the game more fun. I probably would have stopped at GSC if there were no evil teams.
Back to top Go down
Adventure is more than a
Tunnel Snakes rule!
Adventure is more than a

Male
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 10:46 am

I always felt like the evil teams were just some weak way of actually adding a story to the game. I agree that I would probably not enjoy the game without them because that would leave the game void of any kind of story or plot beyond just grinding for champion status, but I always felt like their implementation was kind of half-assed. The main goal of the game is beating the elite four, but to get there you have to incidentally save the world every time; not because you necessarily want to save the world, but because the evil guys are always in your way. I also feel like the evil teams aren't that significant in the Pokémon world; as Bran pointed out, the citizens don't really seem to care about them, regardless of how grandiose the impact on the world their actions have are.

If they could actually make the story feel like a part of the main plot rather than making a cheap story just for the sake if it, then that would be gr8. And I think the whole thing about N and his castle is the closest they have been so far.

Also, the giant that is just walking around in gen VI was the biggest wtf moment in any Pokémon game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Generation VI is better than Generation V   Why Generation VI is better than Generation V Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Generation VI is better than Generation V
Page 1 of 1