ADVENTURE
HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

ADVENTURE

HEY MISTER CAN WE HAVE OUR BALL BACK

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  GeraldineGeraldine  WikiWiki  Holiday GuideHoliday Guide  National AnthemNational Anthem  RulesRules  

Share | 

Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr. Adventure
i tell you what im NOT trying to pull my own cock

Male
Number of posts : 1056
Favourite Band : nice guy
Balls : Fun to suckle on for hours and hours
Jakey : give me the diamonds
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 pm

I know some of us no longer listen to music ( Wink ), however I have recently been seriously relistening to the Rolling Stones and would love to get other opinions on some of the albums years after some of us have listened/reviewed these albums for the first time.

I'll write up some basic reviews of the following albums and would like to hear some other reviews Wink

Aftermath
Between The Buttons
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St.

I don't really feel like going much longer than that, and I might skip Let It Bleed 'cos fuck let it bleed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male
Number of posts : 7689
Favourite Band : Nirvana

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:23 pm

i somehow missed this originally

follow through on your plans nigga
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Teh_Jakester/
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:19 am

working on it....i've relistened through everything but sticky fingers and aftermath. so far, exile on main st and between the buttons are winning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:54 pm

i HATED between the buttons
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am

the problem with Between the Buttons is that nothing stands out on it. The only thing I distinctly remember is the kind of annoying chorus of Yesterday's Papers.

but every song is neatly organized. there is some really groovy instrumentation and composition on it that's missing on other albums. it's super unique compared to their other albums, but I can see it being off putting if you really like ROCK

(also i'm doing the true UK version of the album woo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 pm

it only took months of work, but i have decided:

Aftermath
Aged ridiculously bad. sure the album is notable for using odd instruments (sitar on Paint it Black, marimba or whatever it is on Under My Thumb) and breaking the norm of 3:30 long songs by having a long "jam" (Going Home), but it's so hard to find enjoyable songs outside of the first one. Under My Thumb and Lady Jane, arguable the best known outside of Paint It Black, sound like they're trying to be another band. I just can't get into them. Then there's stuff on the last half of the album which really bogs the whole thing down. This is my least favorite of their albums [of the ones i'm reviewing, that is]. (Also, this is the only albums of theirs that i listened to only the US version of. all the rest are UK versions.)

Between the Buttons
All of the songs here are trying to expand on their kind of "composed" sound they started on aftermath, especially tunes like Lady Jane. Even though the band is supposed to be a bunch of punks, they're trying so hard to be formal and proper. It really sounds odd. Gone are the long jams (longest song isn't even 5 minutes), but they're going full on with the odd instruments and layering their sound. Stereo really helps this album out a lot.

Their Satanic etc.
I think this is my 3rd favorite of theirs. Here they dive headfirst into baroque pop and psychedelia (really it's more like they just include hippie chanting and weird noises). The layers of instruments work very well throughout, and the production is much cleaner than their other albums up to this point. Their melodies are catchier here too, probably as a result of trying to directly imitate sgt. pepper. A lot of fans dislike this album because it tries too hard to be psychedelic, but that's what I like so whatevs mang

Beggars Banquet
A very nice album. On my first listen, nothing on this album stood out to me except for Sympathy for the Devil. But now that i hear the sitar on Street Fightin Man and the near gospel-style Salt of the Earth, I really found a respect for this album. My beef with most Rolling Stone albums is that they tend to be very very inconsistent, but I think Banquet's slower and country-ish songs aren't half bad on this one.
However, Jig Saw Puzzle is probably among my least favorite songs ever made.

Let It Bleed
I, uh...
This album is actually my 2nd favorite of theirs, if only for the first and last songs. You Can't Always Get What You Want is probably the best song in their catalog, plus the album has the improved version of Honky Tonk Women (the original is an absolute atrocity). No apologies, 2nd best.

Sticky Fingers
Here it is folks, my favorite Rolling Stones album.
Usually their albums tend to open and close with their best songs, but this one front loads hardcore. Bitch and Can't You Hear Me Knockin' really take the cake here. I guess Dead Flowers is okay. The consistency on this album is certainly the highest and for that reason alone this album gets top honors.

Exile on Main St.
All the publications love this album to bits, but I find it kind of tiresome to sit through. It's pretty much all standard riff rock with some ballads thrown in.
HOWEVER, Shine a Light and I Just Want To See His Face are absolutely BRILLIANT. The first Rolling Stones album where the best songs are at the end. nice.

what a nice mass review that served little purpose. Join us next time where I share how much more I love Marvin Gaye's What's Going On since i first reviewed it. chao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jakeyadventure
apple computers

Male

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Sun May 04, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm going to approach this a little differently. By which I mean I'm not going to relisten to the albums, and tell you my thoughts from memory, looking only at my RYM ratings and the track listing.
I can't stomach listening to most of these again.

Aftermath
I remember reviewing this album side-by-side with Bran back in 2012. I hope I don't remember wrong.
Of course, he's right about the album never topping Paint it Black. I didn't expect it to, so I can't really deduct points for it.
Under My Thumb is pretty nice. Goin' Home I remember being really good, but far too long for its own good. It would have been great at 3-5 minutes, rather than 12. Stupid Girl is annoying.
I gave this album an impressive 3/5 on RYM.

Between the Buttons
FUCK THIS ALBUM
I may not remember any of the songs beside the obvious Let's Spend the Night Together, but I don't need to. I remember the emotions I had well. Every single song on this album except Let's Spend the Night Together is horrendous filler. It's The Rolling Stones' The Who Sell Out.
A very impressive 0.5/5 on RYM.

Their Satanic Majesties' Request
I'll be honest. I remember nothing from this album. It was so bland that I just couldn't remember it if you paid me.
A very fitting 1.5/5 on RYM.

Beggars' Banquet
Of all the albums M. Jagger and co. produced, this is the best one. It's very memorable, and for all the right reasons.
Opening with Sympathy for the Devil was a gutsy move, for sure. It's a very striking song, but not necessarily for the right reasons. I hated it the first several times I heard it. I really like it now, however.
Street Fighting Man and Stray Cat Blues are amazing. Separating Stray Cat Blues and Salt of the Earth with Factory Girl was a brilliant move. Separating two brilliant songs with a mediocre song actually improves both.
A 4.5/5 on RYM.

Let it Bleed
The only two songs I remember from this are the bookending tracks. Gimme Shelter is shit. GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT ALL GREAT SONGS HAVE
FEMALE BACKING VOCALISTS
AND POLITICS
You Can't Always Get What You Want, however, is great. Definitely in their ten best, maybe five best.
2.5/5.

Sticky Fingers
Only really notable for Bitch and Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Everything else is completely disposable.
2.5/5.

Exile on Main St.
A double album with absolutely zero songs I can remember. Wow.
1/5.

As a side note, according to my ratings, The Rolling Stones' albums, best to worst are:
01: Beggars' Banquet
02: Some Girls
03: Aftermath
04: Out of Our Heads
05: Sticky Fingers
06: Let it Bleed
07: It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
08: Their Satanic Majesties' Request
09: Exile on Main St.
10: Black and Blue
11: Tattoo You
12: Between the Buttons

If I listen to another one of their albums ever, it will be Emotional Rescue.

Now for the OFFICIAL top ten The Rolling Stones songs:

10: You Can't Always Get What You Want
09: Emotional Rescue
08: Bitch
07: Can't You Hear Me Knocking
06: Stray Cat Blues
05: Street Fighting Man
04: Salt of the Earth
03: Heartbreaker
02: Fingerprint File
01: Miss You
Back to top Go down
Dr. Adventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones   Sun May 04, 2014 5:21 pm

doesn't salt of the earth featuring backing women? I'm surprised you like it.

Just for the sake of things, I also listened to Goat Head Soup and it was okay. I think The Rolling Stones are one of the few bands that the greatest hits really is the best option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Band Specific Group Review: The Rolling Stones
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1